Death of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud: January 23, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May he rest in Peace,and i hope things will be better with the new King.

I believe there is a huge difference between sporadic accusations of human rights violations (e.g. American use of torture during the "War on Terror") and human rights violation being systematically and inherently incorporated into the legal framework of a state, as it is the case in Saudi Arabia.

The topic is controversial and, in the end, it boils down to the difficult question of to what extent state sovereignty allows a country to keep a legal system (in the case of Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries, an orthodox interpretation of Sharia law) that is at odds with the Western concept of human rights as developed in the past 200 years or so.

Slavery was still widespread in the Western world until...?
When were black Americans living in the South given the same Western human rights as whites?
South African under Western rule was not in violation of any human rights?
Remind me about the Native American children in the U.S and Canada...
Shall the West colonization of Asia, Africa, North & South American, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific and the treatment of the native people of these regions be ignored because it happened...?

What exactly is the cutoff date and why is the Western way the right way?
200 years?
Which of the above human rights violations cease to exist in the Western ruled countries?

Isn't genocide worse than Sharia law?

Last edited:
:previous: Point well taken. I often find myself annoyed by the rantings of the arrogant. Our (western) way, our rules. It is just plain wrong. While I am no fan of Sharia Law I think that attempts to westernise other countries is arrogant, and short-sighted.

I wish people would cast their minds back to countries that were "helped" to change the way they run their countries to that of the great god, "Democracy". Governments have fallen and puppet "democracies" installed, but they have no power other than that of the gun.

You will find many have fallen into civil war and, in many cases, have returned to a tribal system. Democracy is not their heritage, it is that of the western world and, over time I have come to believe that each has it's own merits and it's own traditions. It's time we learnt to respect them. Not agree with them, but to respect them as sovereign nations.

We can lobby for civil rights at the UN, but we shouldn't be surprised if they do not take a bit of notice. The US is unapologetic about their use of the "Death Penalty", so why would we have any expectation of being heard, let alone changing their legal systems?

Slavery was still widespread in the Western world until...?
When were black Americans living in the South given the same Western human rights as whites?
South African under Western rule was not in violation of any human rights?
Remind me about the Native American children in the U.S and Canada...
Shall the West colonization of Asia, Africa, North & South American, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific and the treatment of the native people of these regions be ignored because it happened...?

What exactly is the cutoff date and why is the Western way the right way?
200 years?
Which of the above human rights violations cease to exist in the Western ruled countries?

Isn't genocide worse than Sharia law?

Slavery was outlawed in the British Empire in 1834; it was abolished in the United States in 1865. By comparison, slavery was only officially abolished in Saudi Arabia in 1962, again under Western pressure.

Sharia law BTW does not explicitly prohibit slavery, although the Islamic view is that slavery is an exceptional condition that can only apply to a restricted class of persons. Arab countries actually engaged in slave trade (google "Arab slave trade") for centuries, long before Europeans began the Atlantic slave trade. As of today, modern slavery is still reported to exist in Muslim African countries like Sudan, Chad, Mali, etc. , although that practice is actually illegal.

Frankly, I don't think we can compare events that took place two or four hundred years ago like slavery or the genocide of Native Americans with present-day violation of human rights in Saudi Arabia. Human rights were never a given in the Western civilization from its inception. Instead, as I pointed out in the my earlier post, the Western concept of democracy and human rights emerged as part of a long historical process that was faster in some countries and slower in others. In any case, it is undeniable that the West has moved ahead considerably in that process. All we want to see is similar progress in countries like Saudi Arabia. You may call that "arrogance" or lack of respect for "indigeneous cultures" if you want to. I personally prefer to see it as plain common sense.

Last edited:
And on that note, let's end this OT discussion and let's focus on the topic of this thread.

World leaders in Saudi Arabia after King Abdullah’s death: article and pictures

A UAE high-level delegation led by His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum conveyed the condolences of the President of UAE, His Highness Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, and those of the government and people of the UAE to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia, on the death of King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud.

article

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about deceased king's daughters?

Obama arrives in Riyadh for talks with King Salman
President Barack Obama arrived in Riyadh on Tuesday at the head of a 30-member delegation including senior U.S. officials to meet the new Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz...Article

Sadaqa on his behalf

King Abdullah bin abdul aziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia passed away...may GOD rest his soul in peace.
The sad news spreaded on the web waiting for royal court official announcement.
"عمون" تؤكد وفاة خادم الØ*رمين الشريفين الملك عبدالله بن عبدالعزيز .. | اهم الاخبار | وكالة عمون الاخبارية
A lot of Saudi tv channels including MBC group stopped their regular shows & started airing parts of the holy Qurran live from Mecca.

Now the Saudi tv officially announced the death of king Abdullah. He passed away today ( Jan 23) at 1:00 am local time (10:00 pm GMT).

We belong to GOD and we shall return to HIM

Peace be upon all his family
May he continue to have hasanah into his right hand book.
By that I suggest that his family give help to individual in desperate situation and help in making good ambition come true, waqaf, etc. It is not through high end round table of foundation. But on random lives of people. Such as myself who in complicated situation that only money can solve, God willing
Only God knows

Back
Top Bottom