Royal Family of the Sultanate of Oman: Al Said Dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sheikh Shamsaldin Qais is considered as one of the heirs to the throne after Sultan Qabos.
Thanks for the information!:flowers:
I have read that Heir's name is sealed in a special envelope. Given the Omani specifics, Sultan Qaboos avoided identifying a possible successor. Now this picture is quite an interesting development. This may mean that Sheikh Shamsaldin may be viewed as a preferred candidate to ascend the throne.

Last edited:
i've made some search about the Sheikh Shamsaldin i didn't find much not a lot pics anyway but Wikipedia have very interesting information

Thanks for the information!:flowers:
I have read that Heir's name is sealed in a special envelope. Given the Omani specifics, Sultan Qaboos avoided identifying a possible successor. Now this picture is quite an interesting development. This may mean that Sheikh Shamsaldin may be viewed as a preferred candidate to ascend the throne.

:previous:
I think yes it's safe to say he is favourite now

i've made some search about the Sheikh Shamsaldin i didn't find much not a lot pics anyway but Wikipedia have very interesting information

Up to this date, there is no clear successor to the throne.

Whoever this Shamsaldin guy is he has no relations what so ever to Oman Royal Family. I am very sure and confident about this after much "in-depth" search. No matter what it says in his profiles...Shamsaldin is a British national from Pakistani origins.

The only posible successors are still the same 2 people who have been seen as successors to the throne, and they are the sons of the late H.H. Sayyid Tariq bin Taimur Al-Said (Uncle to His Majesty the Sultan)
1- H.H. Sayyid Asaad bin Tariq
2- H.H. Sayyid Haitham bin Tariq
3- H.H. Sayyid Shihab bin Tariq

thank you very much for this
but still have quetion how the choice will be made?
the older one get the throne?

thank you very much for this
but still have quetion how the choice will be made?
the older one get the throne?

According to the Wikipedia:

Succession
Unlike the heads of other Arab states of the Persian Gulf, Qaboos has not publicly named an heir. This became a particular concern after the sultan spent eight months in Germany for medical treatment of an alleged cancer. Although Sultan Qaboos returned to Oman on 23 March 2015 and state officials as well as the Sultan himself repeatedly assured the population over his health, the question of his succession still generates speculation.[20] Article 6 of the constitution says the royal family should choose a new sultan within three days of the position falling vacant. If the royal family council fails to agree, a letter containing a name penned by Sultan Qaboos should be opened in the presence of a defence council of military and security officials, supreme court chiefs, and heads of the two quasi-parliamentary advisory assemblies.[21] Analysts see the rules as an elaborate means of sultan Qaboos securing his choice for successor without causing controversy by making it public during his lifetime, since it is considered unlikely that the royal family would be able to agree on a successor on its own.[21]

Qaboos has no children; there are other male members of the Omani royal family including several paternal uncles and their families. Using same-generation primogeniture, the successor to Qaboos would appear to be the children of his late uncle, Sayyid Tariq bin Taimur Al Said, Oman's first prime minister before the sultan took over the position himself (and his former father-in-law).[22] Oman watchers believe the top contenders to succeed Qaboos are three of Tariq's sons: Assad bin Tariq Al Said, the personal representative of the Sultan; Shihab bin Tariq, a retired naval commander; and Haitham bin Tariq Al Said, the Minister of Heritage and National Culture.[21][23] First Deputy Prime Minister Fahd bin Mahmud al-Said, a distant cousin of the Sultan, and Taimur bin Assad, the son of Assad bin Tariq, are also mentioned as potential candidates.[21] The problem is that none of the above seem to have the necessary capacities to rule Oman, since Sultan Qaboos, differently from the other Persian Gulf countries, has relied more on the business elite than on family members, who have been excluded from key positions, to secure his power over the country. His successor will have to strive to secure the same legitimacy that the current Sultan has managed to gain. Moreover, the question raises whether also the next successor will keep the same absolute power in his hands or whether he will decide to separate State powers, given that although Oman has been largely untouched by the 2011 Arab Spring, unrest has kept on sweeping through the country throughout 2012 and 2013.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qaboos_bin_Said_al_Said#Succession

This is what is commonly known in Oman. The Constitutional Law clearly mentions that (Above highlighted in bold) is what happens in regards to succession. Although I can easily say that there has always been a clouded vision in regards to this matter.
And from the 3 names mentioned above, Asaad bin Tariq is the eldest, followed by Haitham bin Tariq, then Shihab bin Tariq.

Up to this date, there is no clear successor to the throne.

Whoever this Shamsaldin guy is he has no relations what so ever to Oman Royal Family. I am very sure and confident about this after much "in-depth" search. No matter what it says in his profiles...Shamsaldin is a British national from Pakistani origins.

The only posible successors are still the same 2 people who have been seen as successors to the throne, and they are the sons of the late H.H. Sayyid Tariq bin Taimur Al-Said (Uncle to His Majesty the Sultan)
1- H.H. Sayyid Asaad bin Tariq
2- H.H. Sayyid Haitham bin Tariq
3- H.H. Sayyid Shihab bin Tariq
Thanks for detailed information about the succession matters in Oman!:flowers:

Thank you Commander-in-Chief for the valuable informations,
I think the situatipn is rather confusing and i wonder if the current Sulatan can name his successor and clear the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Qaboos of Oman to undergo medical checks in Belgium
DUBAI (Reuters) - Oman’s Sultan Qaboos will travel to Belgium on Saturday for unspecified medical checks, his court said.

Western-backed Qaboos, 79, has ruled the Arabian peninsula state since he took over in a bloodless coup with the help of Oman’s former colonial power, Britain, in 1970. He has traveled abroad for medical reasons at least twice since 2014.

According to NOS he rented a full 4-star hotel in het city center of Leuven until the end of January. All previous reservations have been cancelled; these potential guests have been rebooked to other hotels.

According to NOS he rented a full 4-star hotel in het city center of Leuven until the end of January. All previous reservations have been cancelled; these potential guests have been rebooked to other hotels.

I wonder if the hotel would have done as much for any client wealthy enough to buy out the other bookings, or if this was a privilege due to his royal status.

Sultan Qaboos returns to Oman after medical treatment in Belgium: ONA
DUBAI (Reuters) - Oman’s Sultan Qaboos has returned home after medical treatment and checks in Belgium, Oman state media said on Friday, citing a Royal Court statement.

Western-backed Qaboos, 79, has ruled the Arabian Peninsula state since he took over in a bloodless coup in 1970 with the help of Oman’s former colonial power Britain. He has traveled abroad for medical reasons at least twice since 2014.

If his health continues to fail, I hope the transition of power goes seamlessly. Oman lacks the security that an heir would bring, so the transition could be problematic.

The situation in Oman is deeply unfortunate. I have been reading about possible unpleasant developments ensuing from the Oman unique power structure for about a month. Hopefully the transition will be smooth.

Last edited:
Super-wealthy Sultan of Oman loses planning fight for 10 extra bedrooms at the £16m house he bought from John Terry because nearby lake could be home to great crested newts
An article by The Daily Mail

"The Diwan of the Royal Court of Oman has announced that the health of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said is stable and he is following his prescribed treatment programme.

The Royal Court prayed to Allah to bestow good health on His Majesty Sultan Qaboos.

According to the Oman News Agency, His Majesty Sultan Qaboos has extended his thanks and appreciation to the people for their well-wishes, praying to Allah Almighty to preserve Oman and its people and to help them towards more progress and development."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6vd-Hpp0RO/

Does the new Sultan Haitham bin Tariq ibn Taimur Al Said have a wife, children, brother or sister?

Any clue about the ages of his four children? Given that he is 65; probably in their 30s or 40s?

Any clue about the ages of his four children? Given that he is 65; probably in their 30s or 40s?

Sultan's older son Theyazin will turn 30 on 21 August, the younger one, Bilarab, turned 25 on 10 January.
Ages of daughters, Thuraya and Omaima, are not given.
Even the exact wedding date of their parents is not given, so we cannot more or less guess their age.

Source: as above.

The wife of the Sultan, Sayyida Ahad bint Abdullah Al Busaidiyah, made her first public appearance this week. Her majesty sponsored a special ceremony during which she distributed medals awarded by her husband the Sultan to a group of women in Oman.

According to the new constitutional law, the Sultan`s eldest son His Highness Sayyed Dhi Yazan Bin Haitham became the Crown Prince Of Oman. The throne will pass to his eldest son and then to the eldest son of that son respectively.

https://thearabweekly.com/omans-sul...jor-reforms-includes-appointment-crown-prince

The new Crown Prince is 31 years old and currently serves as Oman`s Minister of Culture, Sports & Youth.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ8z-TngyMU/

The Sultan & his wife Sayyida Ahd has three more children, a son & two daughters.

The new constitutional law requires that whoever assumes the throne be a Muslim, sane and legitimate son of Omani Muslim parents

Last edited:
Sayyid Theyazin bin Haitham, Crown Prince of Oman is engaged to be married with Sayyida Meyyan bint Shihab Al Said, a few days after Theyazin was made Crown Prince.

"HH Sayyida Meyyan is the Daughter of Deputy Prime Minister for Defence Affairs, Sayyid Shihab Bin Tariq Al Said and Sayyida Rawdah Bint Abdullah Al Busaidi. She is a paternal and maternal cousin of her fiancé Sayyid Theyazin."

Oman’s Crown Prince, Theyazin Bin Haitham is engaged - Arabian Royal Agency

Back
Top Bottom