Death of Sultan Qaboos Bin Said of Oman: January 10,2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossina

Former Moderator
City
Country
India
HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman has died, according to state television early on Saturday.
Source: Al Jazeera News

What a sad news for his family & the Omani Nation. May GOD rest his soul in peace,

Last edited:
Sad news
He was sick for too long now but still he will be missed as one of the most respected ruler in the Gulf..may he rest in peace

What a sad news.
Qaboos still had a long reign and was responsible for many changes in the country.
Rest in peace.

Sad news.
May he rest in peace.

Truly sad news. May he rest in peace :flowers:

Be interesting to see who does succeed him. The royal family council had 3 days to agree on an heir, or the document he signed years ago naming his choice, will be read. Interesting to know if the counsel can agree or not. Deputy prime minister Assad or one of his two brothers are top contenders. Haitham is minister of culture. We saw him when William visited Oman. Their father was the Qaboos' Uncle.

He was a generous gift giver to British ladies.

He gave PM Margaret Thatcher a £200,000 necklace - which automatically became the property of the British government

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-request-that-shocked-the-sultan-732028.html

Princess Diana received a sapphire-based necklace, bracelet and earrings.

HMQ a gold vase and a Fabergé egg - probably other items over the years.

This indicated the close relationships between UK and Oman.

:previous: Gifts are a common part of royal tours. The Middle Eastern royals, the Omanis among them, frequently give jewels and ornate gifts. The Saudis and Bahraini royals certainly have added to the British trove as well.

:previous: Gifts are a common part of royal tours. The Middle Eastern royals, the Omanis among them, frequently give jewels and ornate gifts. The Saudis and Bahraini royals certainly have added to the British trove as well.

Yes, but I think HMQ usually offers something 'modest' in monetary terms in return - like framed photographs and a first edition book or a print.

Sultan Qaboos was one of most competent leaders of Arab World. He brought Oman to modern day altough he never established democracy or western human rights. But at least he managed held stability and some living standards. Hopefully his successor will be at least as competent as Qaboos was.

:omanflag:

Very sad

A great leader and good human being that elevated his beautifull country to a modern nation.
There was a very close friendship with the Dutch Royal Family.

May Allah grant him eternal peace at his right hand side

So sad to learn of HM passing,a true and great leader,human and generous friend.May Allah grant him peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear of the Sultans passing, although he had been ill for some time. By all accounts he was a good leader and quite popular with western leaders. He would put on a good display of horse shows for Queen Elizabeth.
I have always loved the Omani Sapphire suite he gave Prince Charles for Princess Diana. It is a lovely set with crescent moon earrings in sapphires and diamonds.
I hope the Omani's can find a good replacement.

R.I.P. My Condolences to the family.

R.I.P. Sultan Qaboos. You've done an awesome as a sultan keeping Oman at peace as it develops into a prosperous, respectable country.

The new Sultan has been a regular visitor to the UK so one hopes the close relationship will continue. He is a paternal first cousin of the late sultan and was his former brother-in-law. For an updated genealogy see oman9

According to AP the Council decided to open the sealed envelope; so, Haitham was the successor chosen by Qaboos himself.

I'd say it's smart that in this way there was no fuzz, a quick successor and little potential for family conflict (that might have a risen if they had tried to decide among themselves).

Is anything known about the new sultan's family life? Wikipedia doesn't mention anything about him being married or having children. So, it looks like Oman might have another bachelor sultan (and in that case I wouldn't be surprised if the new sultan will also prepare his own 'sealed envelope').

His Majesty Sultan Haitham bin Tariq took the oath before the Council of Oman on Saturday morning in Al-Bustan.

His Majesty Sultan Haitham bin Tariq, while addressing the Council of Oman, said he will take all the efforts to maintain development and progress in the country. His Majesty the Sultan assured the support of the armed forces and security services in this regard and also expressed pride in their great role in safeguarding the country’s achievements and gains.

His Majesty affirmed that the Sultanate will continue to build its relations with all countries based on the peacemaking policies of late His Majesty Sultan Qaboos.
https://www.omanobserver.om/his-majesty-haitham-is-new-sultan-of-oman2/

New Sultan

His Majesty is married with four children- as it says in the genealogy which I referred to previously (page 9 of the Oman section of the Royal Ark website).

The late Sultan Qaboos death announcement on Oman TV.

HM the new Sultan Haitham bin Tareq accepts the greetings from members of the Royal family on the occasion of his enthronement.

His Majesty is married with four children- as it says in the genealogy which I referred to previously (page 9 of the Oman section of the Royal Ark website).
Do you happen to know if Sultan Haitham will name his son as Crown Prince? The late Sultan Qaboos had a unique way of dealing with the succession line.

Do you happen to know if Sultan Haitham will name his son as Crown Prince? The late Sultan Qaboos had a unique way of dealing with the succession line.

The late Sultan Qaboos had no children so that was his way of dealing with the succession. Traditionally, sons have inherited from fathers in Oman

The late Sultan Qaboos death announcement on Oman TV.

HM the new Sultan Haitham bin Tareq accepts the greetings from members of the Royal family on the occasion of his enthronement.

I assume the first couple of gentlemen exchanging kisses were the Sultan's brothers and sons? All other gentlemen kept it with handshakes.

The late Sultan Qaboos had no children so that was his way of dealing with the succession. Traditionally, sons have inherited from fathers in Oman
I read that Sultan Haitham is also childless. That is why I asked the person, who posted the link about his children, about the succession line.

UPDATE: Sultan Haitham's sons: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7LYn3ohW2v/

Last edited:
May he rest in peace he had been ill for some time.

His children:

• 1) H.H. Sayyid Dhiyazan bin Haitham bin Tariq Al-Sa’id.
  • 2) H.H. Sayyid Balarab bin Haitham bin Tariq Al-Sa’id.
  • 1) H.H. Sayyida Thuraya bint Haitham bin Tariq Al-Sa’id.
  • 2) H.H. Sayyida Omaima bint Haitham bin Tariq Al-Sa’id

the new Queen of Oman is Sayyida Ahad bint ‘Abdu’llah bin Hamad Al-Busa’idiyah, daughter of Sayyid ‘Abdu’llah bin Hamad Al-Busa’idi Source: https://www.royalark.net/Oman/oman9.htm

:previous:
Unlike the late Sultan Qaboos, Sultan Haitham has many brothers & two sons. He may choose any of them to succeed him.

Back
Top Bottom