Restoration of the Serbian Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Further,descendants of King Peter I have the title Prince/Princess

Well, that's fairly open ended ... he could have quite a few descendants a few generations from now.

Well, that's fairly open ended ... he could have quite a few descendants a few generations from now.

It could be said so ;)

I meant,all male line descendants(of legal marriage),daughters or wives of male descendants of King Peter I have the right to be Prince/Princess of Yugoslavia/Serbia...

While male descendants,daughters or wives of male descendants of his brother Arsen have have the right to be Knez/Kneginja of Yugoslavia/Serbia,which is also translated in English as Prince and Princess,but the title is not the same...

Of course,we have some different examples in Serbian royal family of (not)becoming a Princess:

A daughter being born out of wedlock and IS recognized as Princess...it is Princess Lavinia,said to be natural daughter of Prince Andrej with his second wife Kira Melita von Leiningen,but born before their actual marriage...

A daughter being born out of wedlock and is still NOT recognized as Princess...the daughter in question is Sara Anastasia,natural daughter of Prince George(son of Prince Tomislav) and his former girlfriend Milica...her parents never married due to religion and are now split,so the chances of Sara becoming a Princess are rather slim...

Last edited:
It could be said so ;)

I meant,all male line descendants(of legal marriage),daughters or wives of male descendants of King Peter I have the right to be Prince/Princess of Yugoslavia/Serbia..

Thanks.

It could still be quite a few folks ... unlike some Royal houses, the Karadjordjevićs have male-line descendants up the wazoo.

Thanks.

It could still be quite a few folks ... unlike some Royal houses, the Karadjordjevićs have male-line descendants up the wazoo.

I think there are 14 living Princes at this point ;)

But that number will fall down,as some of them either don't have descendants at all or don't have male line descendants...

CP Alexander has 3 unmarried sons Filip,Aleksandar and Petar...

Prince Nikola has only a daughter Marija...

His half-brother Prince George is still unmarried and has an out of wedlock daughter Sara...

Prince George's brother Prince Michail is also still unmarried...

Prince Vladimir had a stillborn child...

His brother Prince Dimitri is also unmarried...

Knez Aleksandar(son of Paul) legally has 4 sons(twins Sergio and Helene are natural children of Prince Michael of Borbon-Parma),but 2 of them will likely have no descendants(Dimitry and Michael),Sergio had two marriages and still doesn't have any children while Dushan is still unmarried...

Last edited:
I am afraid none whatsoever...People generally don't like CP and his wife often laughing at them while they try their "best" to speak Serbian,not to speak about his sons who avoid being in Serbia due to "iron fist" of their stepmother who is "alpha and omega" in the palace...

I think it's just the matter of PR but it is true that he needs to learn the language. Those who made fun of him the most in the 90' actually came from Milosevic's party as they saw him as a potential threat.

When was the Serbian monarchy establised?
In which century?

Serbia was first established a Kingdom at the beginning of the 13th century(in 1217),later being an Empire in 14th century...It also reestablished it's Kingdom in 19th century(in 1882)!

It is interesting that one same family(just changing names of the dynasty through the centuries) ruled Serbia from 6th century and only died out in the 15th century...

What is more interesting is that two modern Serbian dynasties(Obrenovic and Karadjordjevic) descended through female line from this first ancient dynasty which ruled in Serbia for so long...

Here are two links:

Kingdom of Serbia (medieval) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kingdom of Serbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Serbia was also an Empire,here is another link for it:

Serbian Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Is the entire family officially in Belgrade/Serbia now? I know that Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine are at the royal compound, but has the rest of the family relocated officially as well? You usually hear of the Crown couple doing things around Serbia and I figured this was because they were the ones in the family who were there consistently at the present time.

Is the entire family officially in Belgrade/Serbia now? I know that Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine are at the royal compound, but has the rest of the family relocated officially as well?

No,apart from Crown Princely couple,only Princess Elizabeth resides permanently in Belgrade,while Princess Linda,second wife of late Prince Tomislav divides her time between London and Belgrade,where she was gifted a rent free use of one Villa...

The rest of them live abroad and stay in hotels when they come to Serbia...

Last edited:
Is there any chance that the country will restore the royal family? I like this Crown Prince and Crown Princess. They seem like just one of the people of Serbia.
Thank You

Is there any chance that the country will restore the royal family? I like this Crown Prince and Crown Princess. They seem like just one of the people of Serbia.
Thank You

They are good people and do good work in Serbia.

Thank You

Unfortunately,so far there are almost no chances for that...

In general,they are not much loved by the people because they are viewed as funny foreigners who,even after 14 years living in Serbia can't speak the proper language and were given a rent free palace residence which is payed by the state/tax payers...

Of course,there are other opinions as I,for example,have met them in person and Alexander seemed to be a very relaxed man,who is relatively satisfied and privately just doesn't seem so much interested in putting all the effort in getting the monarchy back,unlike his wife,who is driven with the ambition of becoming a Queen...

Rent free? If ones father OWNED the property and it was a private owned residence and all of the contents therein, if Serbia is to be fully democratic it did what was Morally right and restored Private property. Paying rent, really

Last edited by a moderator:
Rent free? If ones father OWNED the property and it was a private owned residence and all of the contents therein, if Serbia is to be fully democratic it did what was Morally right and restored Private property. Paying rent, really

The Villa in question was not part of former private property of Prince Tomislav or his father(some others were),but just a given rent free Villa to his widow and in Serbia,this restoration thing is not settled yet and nobody knows will it be in near future...

Btw,Slovenia is,for example,member of EU and therefor presumably democratic,but didn't return the Castles and the properties to Karadjordjevic family now owned by the state...Both branches requested their former properties in Slovenia,but were rejected by the Court,even though they showed the papers which confirm the contract and the ownership...The same goes for Montenegro...

There was a story that CP Alexander reached an agreement with the Government that he won't ask for the Palaces to be restored and in return he will be given Palaces for use of his immediate family,which means that the Government would have to pay for keeping it up,while he would live and use it...

Last edited:
39 percent of Serbians in favor of monarchy, poll shows

BELGRADE -- According to a poll, 39.7 percent of Serbian citizens believe that a renewal of a parliamentary monarchy would be a good idea.

According to the poll done by Belgrade-based SAS Intelligence agency, 32.2 percent of citizens are strongly against the monarchy while 27.4 percent do not have an opinion on the issue.

The agency presented the results of the first poll on the renewal of monarchy and reputation of Prince Aleksandar Karađorđević in Belgrade’s Media Center on Thursday.

SAS Intelligence Executive Director Miljan Premović explained that the poll was carried out between April 11 and April 16 and that a total of 1,615 people in 16 Serbian towns, Kosovo excluded, had participated in it.

He said that the poll had been carried out in all regions, in both urban and rural areas and that it covered both sexes and citizens of various aged and that it had a 95 percent trust interval “which makes it good enough for scientific publications”.

“The main person who inspired us to conduct the poll was in fact world’s leading nation-branding expert Simon Anholt who believes that Serbia is one of the countries with the highest chance to renew the monarchy. Therefore we decided to give the public an insight into one of the social topics that have not been researched and show the mood regarding the renewal of monarchy. The question resembles a possible referendum question: Should Serbia be a parliamentary monarchy? The sample completely reflects Serbia’s social-demographic structure without Kosovo, according to the 2011 census,” he said.

According to him, men with a high school diploma and unemployed men from urban areas mostly support the monarchy while highly educated people and pensioners, primarily from Belgrade, are against it.

Unlike Belgrade, where there are most opponents of the monarchy, the majority of citizens in Vojvodina and central Serbia are in favor of it.

“Prince Aleksandar Karađorđević is absolutely recognizable in the public. 94.2 percent of citizens have heard of him but 42.2 do not have a clear opinion on him. As his most positive trait citizens recognize his humanitarian work – 37.5 percent and giving student scholarships – 13.7 percent, while 43.5 percent do not appreciate his lack of knowledge of the Serbian language,” Premović said.

SAS Inteligence points out that it made sure to avoid media influence on the results of the poll.

Historian a Crown Council member Čedomir Antić told daily Danas that “this is the first time in 23 years of Serbia’ republic, during which time two Constitutions have been passed, that the issue of the renewal of the monarchy is opened this way”.

“Of course, the results would be less favorable in a possible referendum campaign, especially if the authorities were against it. However, this result does not show the power of the monarchy movement or the prince’s charisma but it shows that the republic is in crisis,” he said.

“Almost five million citizens voted for president in 1990 and almost half as many voted last year. This is a sign that people see the president as a king who is not obligated by the Constitution and whose party wins when he wins, regardless of whether it won majority or not. All those who would like to stabilize Serbia probably see that we need a man who symbolizes the state, who is a king but does not rule, so our entire politics could be reduced to an election and parliamentary fight, work of the prime minister and the opposition,” Antić explained.

39 percent of Serbians in favor of monarchy, poll shows

BELGRADE -- According to a poll, 39.7 percent of Serbian citizens believe that a renewal of a parliamentary monarchy would be a good idea.

According to the poll done by Belgrade-based SAS Intelligence agency, 32.2 percent of citizens are strongly against the monarchy while 27.4 percent do not have an opinion on the issue.

The agency presented the results of the first poll on the renewal of monarchy and reputation of Prince Aleksandar Karađorđević in Belgrade’s Media Center on Thursday.

SAS Intelligence Executive Director Miljan Premović explained that the poll was carried out between April 11 and April 16 and that a total of 1,615 people in 16 Serbian towns, Kosovo excluded, had participated in it.

He said that the poll had been carried out in all regions, in both urban and rural areas and that it covered both sexes and citizens of various aged and that it had a 95 percent trust interval “which makes it good enough for scientific publications”.

“The main person who inspired us to conduct the poll was in fact world’s leading nation-branding expert Simon Anholt who believes that Serbia is one of the countries with the highest chance to renew the monarchy. Therefore we decided to give the public an insight into one of the social topics that have not been researched and show the mood regarding the renewal of monarchy. The question resembles a possible referendum question: Should Serbia be a parliamentary monarchy? The sample completely reflects Serbia’s social-demographic structure without Kosovo, according to the 2011 census,” he said.

According to him, men with a high school diploma and unemployed men from urban areas mostly support the monarchy while highly educated people and pensioners, primarily from Belgrade, are against it.

Unlike Belgrade, where there are most opponents of the monarchy, the majority of citizens in Vojvodina and central Serbia are in favor of it.

“Prince Aleksandar Karađorđević is absolutely recognizable in the public. 94.2 percent of citizens have heard of him but 42.2 do not have a clear opinion on him. As his most positive trait citizens recognize his humanitarian work – 37.5 percent and giving student scholarships – 13.7 percent, while 43.5 percent do not appreciate his lack of knowledge of the Serbian language,” Premović said.

SAS Inteligence points out that it made sure to avoid media influence on the results of the poll.

Historian a Crown Council member Čedomir Antić told daily Danas that “this is the first time in 23 years of Serbia’ republic, during which time two Constitutions have been passed, that the issue of the renewal of the monarchy is opened this way”.

“Of course, the results would be less favorable in a possible referendum campaign, especially if the authorities were against it. However, this result does not show the power of the monarchy movement or the prince’s charisma but it shows that the republic is in crisis,” he said.

“Almost five million citizens voted for president in 1990 and almost half as many voted last year. This is a sign that people see the president as a king who is not obligated by the Constitution and whose party wins when he wins, regardless of whether it won majority or not. All those who would like to stabilize Serbia probably see that we need a man who symbolizes the state, who is a king but does not rule, so our entire politics could be reduced to an election and parliamentary fight, work of the prime minister and the opposition,” Antić explained.

I find it hard to except or should I say believe that 1,615 people in 16 perfectly represents a nation of 7.2 million. Interesting!

Αny news on that matter? Is there any debate explicit or implied in Serbian politics at the moment about restoration..?

From what I've heard there is a debate going on and the Royal family host many events at the palace and the crown prince is at many public events both in Serbia and at international functions. The main problem it seems to me that is hampering the restoration is that there are many problems that Serbia has to deal with, we must remember that the former communist government only fell in 2001, so maybe once Serbia gets back on its feet, then the restoration can take place. Until then, the Royal family does it's upmost to do all they can to help Serbia.

hello :)

how is called a royal family of serbya?

The House of Karađorđević began as the royal family of Serbia about 200 years ago and then, with the founding of Yugoslavia, became the royal family of Yugoslavia (Serbs Corats and Slovenes). After the breakup of Yugoslavia they went back to calling them themselves the Royal Family of Serbia. They are the legitmate claimants to the throne and are very decent, hardworking people. I wish them and the much unfairly maligned Serbs much success in the future.

There must be a great number of people who want the monarchy in Serbia restored. Every time I see the Serbian tennis player play, there is always someone waving a Serbian flag and it has a crown on it.

There must be a great number of people who want the monarchy in Serbia restored. Every time I see the Serbian tennis player play, there is always someone waving a Serbian flag and it has a crown on it.

Hi Alexey,

The flag of Serbia has the national coat of arms on it, which features a crown. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that those waving the Serbian flag want a restoration.

I myself, would love to see one as I too agree that it is and would be good for Serbia!

Back
Top Bottom