Hereditary Prince Peter Renounces Rights; 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you everyone for all the information, very interesting. Fascinating article about Princess Elizabeth.

It would seem that Peter and Filip decided to present their father with a fait accompli, probably for good reason, although I can see why Alexander is upset that it didn't take place in Serbia etc. It's probably for the best that it's sorted out in a straight forward manner without a lot of arguing and rumours beforehand. Publicly speaking anyway, I doubt this is going to help the personal family drama.

I must say Prince Philip comes over as a modern and charismatic businessman. The Royal House seems in secure hands when he will succeed as Chef. Maybe Prince Peter was honest: "I do not have the zest or enthusiasm of my brother. It is better to set a step aside."

When was the last time a Hereditary Prince of a country renounced his rights?

My guess is in1933, when first Don Alfonso de Borbón y Battenberg, Príncipe de Asturias renounced his rights to the throne of Spain. His younger brother, the Infante Don Jaime, Duque de Segovia, subsequently renounced his rights as well.

This resulted in the tird son of King Alfonso XIII becoming the heir: the Infante Don Juan, Conde de Barcelona (father of King Juan Carlos of Spain).

There are no legal descandants of Don Alfonso, Príncipe de Asturias.

There are legal descendants of the Infante Don Jaime, Duque de Segovia: his grandson Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón, the self-styled "Duc d'Anjou" is one of the two Bourbon pretenders for the throne of France.

Another heir example of a heir who renounced was Don Carlo di Borbone delle Due Sicilie in order to marry Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón, Princesa de Asturias.

These renounciations can become problematic:

In 1949 the Infante Don Jaime de Borbón, Duque de Segovia, revoked his renounciation.

And in the Bourbon-Two Sicilies case: in 1960, Don Carlo's older brother Ferdinand died without male issue, and Carlo' son Don Alfonso di Borbone delle Due Sicilie reclaimed his rights, supported by the Spanish Court.

So maybe Crown Prince Alexander sees a potential for a rift, when Prince Peter, or a later issue of Prince Peter, changes minds. Especially since the renounciation was not procedural at all and done outside the Chef of the House. A Prince Peter or his issue can say: "The renounciation in 2022 was not valid. This means I am the Chef of the House". Probably that is why Crown Prince Alexander is so not amused.

Last edited:
Who knew there is even animosity in this family :ohmy:
Anyway imo he did the right thing if he didn't feel he wants this position.

At Prince Filip's Wedding Crown Princess Katherine wanted her whole family on the Group Picture !!

Perhaps it differs in Serbia, but in many societies it would be normal to address one's stepchildren as one's children if a parental emotional bond exists between the stepparent and the stepchild. The Crown Prince of Norway for instance has addressed his stepson as his son.

Peter also addressed his mother's daughter Sol as "my sister" in his press release, which appears in full in lula's article.

I understand this...in our country half-siblings are mostly called just brother and sister. One would say the word "half-sister" only in case they are in very bad terms.

But, it is different case regarding Crown Princesses children...They live in Royal compound, unlike sons of the Crown Prince, who were felt unwelcome there or any other member of the royal family...Katherine wanted Alexander legally to adopt them so that they could have a title, but Royal council was against it...it is possible to adopt, but in our country titles are not legal, nor are part of the surname, like in Germany and Austria, so even legal adoption would not make her children royal...or even sound royal, as they would only have surname Karadjordjevic (not Prince or Princess), nothing more, nothing less.

Her children were always labeled as her children, but lately when they started being labeled "our children" by palace PR, you know that there is something probably going on behind the curtains.

Last edited:
Prince Mihailo supports his cousin Peter's decision to relinquish his rights and duties in favor of his brother Prince Filip.
"I fully support my cousin Peter's decision to transfer his duties, rights and obligations to Filip. I deeply believe that Filip will make an exceptional contribution to our country, our people and our society with his life in Serbia and his efforts I assure you of Filip's sincere intentions and genuine concern for the progress of our people, in Serbia and abroad. Ljubica and I will continue, as before, to support Filip and Danica in their joint work for the common good and progress." wrote Mihailo on facebook.

https://www.kurir.rs/vesti/drustvo/...a-da-prenese-svoje-duznosti-i-prava-na-filipa

Very interesting news but indeed not that surprising and it seems for the best: Filip and his family clearly are dedicating their lives to serving Serbia in some kind of royal role. It was a very conscious decision to move back to Serbia and raise their son there. Since their move, they continue to show up especially for religious events and are treated as if they are part of the reigning royal family. So, it seems for the best and I am glad that they continue to have a good mutual relationship among the brothers (and half-sisters - who recently were also present at the wedding of prince Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein).

And I agree with Tatiana Maria that the phrasing of the statement suggests that Peter has a child out of wedlock; otherwise it wouldn't make sense to include the phrase about children that 'were born'.

"I renounce all rights and prerogatives that belong to me on the basis of the birthright in the line of elders of the royal house of Serbia and Yugoslavia. By the act of abdication, I renounce myself and all my descendants who were born or will be born in a marital relationship or out of wedlock ", added Peter Karađorđević.

I also agree that Prince Alexander did not agree with Prince Peter's decision.

That's quite clear indeed but I agree with other the most important issue might be that he was by-passed by his sons (who are clearly supported by their mother). This might indeed be used in the future by any of Peter's descendants to contest the legality of this renunciation as the head of the house declared that the right procedures were not followed... Not sure what those would be, could anybody share some light on what the 'Family Rulebook' states about such issues? I seriously doubt that it states that such a declaration needs to take place at the Royal Palace but the approval of the Head of the Family might be needed?!

Unfortunately, such a crucial and important procedure was not followed properly, in accordance with the tradition and rules of the Royal Family, and the Family Rulebook, which was written in the time of the Kingdom, and which all members of the Royal Family need to follow. This occurrence and procedure did not take place at the Royal Palace, in Serbia, with my presence and authority as the Head of the Royal Family, with the blessing of our Holy Church and with Crown Council participation in the process, but in a foreign country, without a good reason for performing such important matter away from our homeland.

The latter part might be questionable as apparently the Holy Church was represented as was the Crown Council... And the 'good reason' for not performing this act in Serbia might be his wife :whistling: (who might have written this press release herself)

Last edited:
This news is interesting. It seems that many things are happening behind the scenes of the Serbian Royal Family.
Prince Alexander's children's relationship with their stepmother must be really bad.

I was writing about this situation for years now, on this forum. But, it was never press released, as it is today. Very unfortunate situation for the whole royal family.

Meanwhile, it seems that Prince Vladimir and members of this branch of the family are also supporting Prince Filip:

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2022/05/further-developments-in-royal-serbian.html

It just gives a glance about what all other members of the royal family think of CP and his wife'a actions.

Last edited:
According to an article in "Royal Musings", Peter indeed has a daughter born out of wedlock. It seems that her name is Dolores Luna Karageorgevich:

Royal Musings: Another QVD: Peter of Serbia acknowledges daughter

We can see from the screenshoot on the link above that the daughter's mother's maiden name is Jones.

I did some searchs on Peter's and Luna's instagram account (as both of their accounts are not private). They both follows a woman account with the surname Jones, with the initials L.E.J.. Then I Googled her name. She was born in 1984 and now lives in the UK. It fits well. Right place, right age.
Note : I can't mention her full name here due to her privacy (and I am not 100% sure if she is really the mother of that daughter).

Last edited:
Princess Danica:

"Here is my husband's statement about the abdication of his older brother Prince Peter:
"At the invitation of my older brother Prince Peter, we attended and witnessed his abdication in Seville, Spain, in late April.
For a long time, my brother Prince Peter thought about that act - abdication means renouncing the right to stewardship in the dynasty, that is. to the Karadjordjevic family.

Abdication is automatic - that means that Prince Peter leaves his sovereign right to lead Karadjordjevic by birth, and that right automatically passes to the next in the line of inheritance and his descendants.
In our family, as the second son and following the primogeniture, the next in line for inheritance is my childhood. Respecting the decision of my older brother, I take over the duty and responsibility implied by the title of Crown Prince, I accept all the duties and obligations that came to me in that way and I am aware of the greatest part that was done to me.
I wish my brother the greatest happiness in life and I will respect and defend his desire for personal and private life. He remains a prince forever and will always be welcome. His sacrifice is Karadjordjevic's new testament after troubled times for the Home. Until this moment, I did not announce myself, because after the act of abdication of my brother Prince Peter, I wanted to spend days in silence and reflection and to reach understanding in the family and among the faithful. I thank my brothers as well as family members, branches of Prince Tomislav and Prince Andrej for their trust and support.

Within the new duties of the Crown Prince, I will maintain the unity of the brothers. I will gather Karadjordjevic and fight to free the dynasty from mental shackles.

To my father, Crown Prince Alexander, as the head of the Royal House, I express my son's love and respect, as well as the promise that I will continue to work on improving the reputation of the dynasty.
I thank my wonderful mother, Princess Maria da Gloria, for the sacrifice and love she gives to us, her sons.

With my family, my wife Princess Danica and my son Prince Stefan, I will continue to live in Belgrade, as we have lived so far, exclusively from my work. I undertake to live and fight for the happiness and progress of Serbia and all those who respect the Karadjordjevic dynasty. ""

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdeDNbYMjhv/

That's quite clear indeed but I agree with other the most important issue might be that he was by-passed by his sons (who are clearly supported by their mother). This might indeed be used in the future by any of Peter's descendants to contest the legality of this renunciation as the head of the house declared that the right procedures were not followed... Not sure what those would be, could anybody share some light on what the 'Family Rulebook' states about such issues? I seriously doubt that it states that such a declaration needs to take place at the Royal Palace but the approval of the Head of the Family might be needed?!

"Family Rulebook" denotes the house law promulgated in 1930 when the house of Karadjordjevic was the sovereign family of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

The Family Rulebook and an English translation are available on the family's website.

https://royalfamily.org/documents/family-rules-1930/
https://royalfamily.org/lat/dokumenti/porodicni-pravilnik-kralja-aleksandra-i/

The sections which seem the most material to this issue are:

Art. 2. – According to the article 7 of the Law on the King’s Authority and the Supreme state administration of 6 January 1929, the King is succeeded by His male descendants from the legitimate marriage in the order of primogeniture.

Art. 3. – The Ruling King is the head and protector of all the members of The Royal House.
The King determines the rank of all the members of The Royal House.

Art. 5. – Without the special approval and consent of the King no member of The Royal House is allowed to commit any act or deed of the public importance, nor to make any permanent commitments to anyone. [...]

I was writing about this situation for years now, on this forum. But, it was never press released, as it is today. Very unfortunate situation for the whole royal family.

I remember your posts about the situation. Thank you for keeping us up to date on the rumors and public opinion in Serbia.

I seriously doubt that the 'Family Rules' are still applied to ALL members of the house, for example:

Art. 13. – The King will, by His decree, determine the place of residence of the members of The Royal House.
The change of residence will also be approved or determined by the order of the King.

Art. 14. – No member of The Royal House is allowed to take permanent residence or employment abroad without the approval of the King.
Shorter journeys abroad of the members of The Royal House also can not be taken without the previous approval of the King.

And what if someone moves without seeking formal approval by the current Head of the House? Or decides to go on a short holiday without seeking permission?

The following article isn't followed either judging by the careers of the various princes of the house:
Art. 15. – The members of The Royal House are to be prepared for the service in the military, education, art or the Church, according to their special preferences.

And I doubt he has a say in the education of his great-nephews and nieces (or even his grandson):
Art. 16. – Under the supreme rule the King, as the Head of The Royal House, directs education of all the members of The Royal House, even when the general care of the education of children belongs to their parents.

When Yugoslavia was Kingdom, the rules had it's affect, but now, they don't...

Today, Crown Prince can only determine if someone from the royal family will live in the palace or not...other things don't have affect, as the titles are not officially recognized, only socially, unlike in Montenegro...

So, breaking family rules cannot have any legal affect on any family member. It can only affect family relations and some social affect on organizations which are traditionally connected to the royal family.

Concerning Peter, politician Vuk Draskovic said that he suggested once to Crown Prince Alexander to assign prince Peter to Military Academy, as it was once tradition for all male members of the Serbian royal family and that he replied: "Well, it's impossible, he likes to paint."

Last edited:
I suppose it makes sense since his brother lives in Serbia and is interested in carrying out "royal duties" including public closeness with the SOC and Peter doesn't want any of that and this way he can live his life without anyone trying to interfere because he's the "Hereditary Prince" even though they have no throne and less of a platform than the Romanians and Montenegrins.

His brother is also married to a Serbian woman who's interviews emphasize a traditional outlook and they have a son. Peter isn't married so it may well have come to his brother and nephew in time anyway and this is what both brothers actually want, so lets get on with it.

I wonder if there's more to it though behind the scenes.
Yes, wondering exactly that, too. When it comes to "was not particularly interested in duties concerning the serbian royal family and Serbia" I must ask: Is it really about "being interested or not" when you are a Prince? Wasn´t there something very oldfashioned called......duty?!

We can see from the screenshoot on the link above that the daughter's mother's maiden name is Jones.

I did some searchs on Peter's and Luna's instagram account (as both of their accounts are not private). They both follows a woman account with the surname Jones, with the initials L.E.J.. Then I Googled her name. She was born in 1984 and now lives in the UK. It fits well. Right place, right age.
Note : I can't mention her full name here due to her privacy (and I am not 100% sure if she is really the mother of that daughter).

Hein Bruins confirmed via his website that the mother of Peter's child is Lauren Estelle Jones.
Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark

Reading his recent announcement on palace housing, Alexander seems to have resiled from his earlier claim that his eldest son's renunciation violated the Family Regulations (see the previous posts):

On the meeting of the Advisory Bodies of the Crown, which was held today at the Royal Palace, members of the Privy Council and the Crown Council, acknowledged and warmly welcomed the decision made by the Head of the Royal Family of Serbia, HRH Crown Prince Alexander, which is unanimously recognized as very good, of great importance, and crucial for the future of the Karadjordjevic dynasty.

[...]

Also, at this meeting the Advisory Bodies accepted the minutes from the previous meeting, held on 29 February 2024, in which the change in line of succession of the Royal Family of Serbia was acknowledged, stating: “The Privy Council and the Crown Council have taken note that as a result of the voluntary abdication of HRH Hereditary Prince Peter, his brother HRH Prince Filip is the indisputable Hereditary Prince, based on the principle of primogeniture, the Constitution of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, and the Family Regulations for members of the Royal House of Karađorđevic”.​

Back
Top Bottom