Royal Romanian Orders, Decorations and Medals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lord Rossmore

Commoner
City
Ireland
Country
Ireland
The Order of Carol

The Order of Carol I is a chivalric order of the Kingdom of Romania instituted on the 10th of May 1909[1] by King Carol I of Romania to celebrate his jubilee of 40 years of reign. Until the fall of the monarchy in 1947, the order was the highest ranking order of the kingdom. Currently it is awarded as a dynastic order by the head of the Romanian Royal Family King Michael I of Romania.[2]

Insignia of the Order of Carol I
ODM of Romania: Order of Carol I

Picture of Princess Margarita and Prince Radu wearing the Order of Carol I at the Wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling of Sweden:
Flickr Photo Download: SWEDEN ROYAL WEDDING

An impressive decoration. I just hope that it may again be rightfully used and issued some day.

The decoration is again in use.

Has HRH Prince Nicolae been awarded the order? Or Elizabeth-Karina? What about Amy of HM other grandchildren?

Michael Kreuger or his sister were not granted with this Order until now.

As far as I know not until now.

On the 10th of september HM the King will grant the Order Crown of Romania (Knight) to Dorin Chirtoaca, the Mayor of Chisinau (Bessarabia):

Dorin Chirtoac

Pfff, granting and stripping, granting and stripping, welcome to King Michael's favourite hobby...

:sad:

Pfff, granting and stripping, granting and stripping, welcome to King Michael's favourite hobby... :sad:

The King's advisers should have thought better before suggesting to give the decoration to the mayor and to other politicians.

I agree but as the granting of royal decorations is an affaire particulier in a non-reigning House, I suspect the King himself has been involved. After all he has no ministers who -on the nomination of committees- present a list of honours and take these for their political responsibility, as is the use in "normal" monarchies. Now it looks like a private person grants and takes honours to his personal whim-of-the-day. When someone has earned the honour, the grounds on which that honour rested are not taken away i.m.h.o.

I hardly believe the King takes this decisions alone. I suppose his advisers propose different people. Some politicians that received decorations were quite contested by many of the civil society.

I suppose King Michael withdrawed his Grandson also from the Order of th Crown and he had to give his Sash back!

How Stupid to give royal Decorations to Roumanian Republican Politicians !

You should tell this to those that really decide at the Elisabeta Palace.

To be fair towards King Michael: also in other monarchies there is a possibility to withdraw once given honours. The latest famous example is the well-known gentleman Mr Rolf Harris, who is now suspect in a case of alleged child abuse.

Mr Harris was appointed:
Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1968;
Officer in the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1977;
Commander in the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2006.
These honours were revoked in 2015.

Mr Harris was appointed:
Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 1982;
Officer in the Order of Australia (AO) in 2012.
These appointments were rescinded in 2015.

There must be a serious reflexion BEFORE giving decorations to controversial republican politicians.

Yesterday an event dedicated to medals at Peles Castle.

Even if the Monarchy is not restored yet the king's Family wants to maintain the tradition of the Royal decorations. In recent years there were not few public debates about some controversial politicians receiving also royal medals and decorations. The case of the mayor of Bucharest is just an example.

The Order of the Crown was created by King Carol I of Hohenzollern after the proclamation of the Kingdom.

The Order of the Crown was created by King Carol I of Hohenzollern after the proclamation of the Kingdom.

You mean King Carol I of Romania, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen of the House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (a cadet branch of the House of Hohenzollern)

You mean King Carol I of Romania, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen of the House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (a cadet branch of the House of Hohenzollern)

Carol I was born a Prince of Hohenzollern Siegmaringen.

Romanian is a Republic and only the Romanian decorations are important to me.

Last edited:
The name of this Forum should help us to understand what the debates are all about. This is a Royal Forum.

All current Romanian Orders and Decorations were installed during the Kingdom of Romania, with the exception of one Order.

When the Kingdom will be restored the future King will restore legally all the Orders and Decorations.

Back
Top Bottom