Romanian Succession, Claimants, Titles and Restoration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the best-case scenario, Nicolae is sincerely sorry for all the things that breached him from his family and got him disinherited; he appreciates that his great-grandfather was so awful in terms of being a parent (and somewhat as a person) that it's probably why his grandfather reacted so severely; and he's genuinely trying to do better right now and going forward.

In the worst-case scenario, he's being a complete opportunist because he knows he's the only available and interested party, and he is not bothered by what he did in the past or the hurt he might have caused.

In the middle-case scenario, it might be some of both. But he does seem to be objectively very dedicated to Romania, which is more than a few monarchies have got.

Last edited:
I'd say they would go with Mihai. It was out of necessity that king Mihai decided that his daughters could be successors to... Other non-reigning houses so far haven't made that change as far as I am aware.

They were not without heirs as the Fürst von Hohenzollern and his son the Erbprinz were Number One and Number Two. But they are no descendants of King Michael and probably the Romanians would see nothing in "another German foreigner". The Fürst himself publicly declared not to have any interest in the headship of the Royal House of Romania.

It will never happen but it would be most interesting to see Elisabeta Karina (Nr 2 according to King Michael's proposed succession) and Erbprinz Alexander (Nr 2 according to the pre-Communist Constitution) marrying together. Not only would their descendants inherit a quite impressive number of castles, domains, forests, lands, artworks and enterprises, it would also firmly cement both "lineages" as the one and undisputed Royal House in all possible meanings.

Of course Nicholas would disagree or the descendants of King Michael's half-brother but they would make no chance to this double Hohenzollern alliance.

Last edited:
:previous:
It should also not be forgetten the small detail that Alexander of Hohenzollern is already married to another lady...which makes your scenario impossible (at least rebus sic stantibus).

Wow I totally missed that. Was there even a wedding at all????? But does this mean Prince Alexander has given up his rights as the Hohenzollerns still have the principle of Standesgemäßkeit for royal marriages?

Anyway, this ends the prospect of Alexander x Elisabeta Karina. That is clear.

Wow I totally missed that. Was there even a wedding at all????? But does this mean Prince Alexander has given up his rights as the Hohenzollerns still have the principle of Standesgemäßkeit for royal marriages?

Anyway, this ends the prospect of Alexander x Elisabeta Karina. That is clear.

It was about two years ago. There is a chance that Alexander will not be the inheritor of the Hohenzollern estate.

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2022/07/exclusive-hereditary-prince-of.html

Everyone needs to remember that if, and it's a big if, the Romanian monarchy is ever restored, it will be the Romanian government of the day that will decide who the monarch is and what the line of succession looks like. In a constitutional monarchy, that's how it works (just ask The King of Sweden... :whistling:)

Everyone needs to remember that if, and it's a big if, the Romanian monarchy is ever restored, it will be the Romanian government of the day that will decide who the monarch is and what the line of succession looks like. In a constitutional monarchy, that's how it works (just ask The King of Sweden... :whistling:)

As long as there is no royal Constitution, the Royal House is an autonomous entity established and organized by Fundamental Rules "enacted by the hand of King Michael I, Sovereign Head of the Royal House of Romania (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen), by the Grace of God and jure sanguinis, Crowned King of Romania" as is stated in the preamble. In all and everything the Republic of Romania follows this document as it is Margareta von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen who is the one almost-but-not-yet treated as Queen of Romania. She. And not Mr Smith or Mrs Jones.

The same preamble stresses: "This document shall have its validity and power upon signature, by the King’s hand. By this document, all earlier statutes and all privileges, styles, titles, rank and rights of Dynasts or their descendants are revoked."

In an Annex to the Fundamental Rules the King adds a request to the Nation and to Parliament:

Under the full powers vested in me as
Head of the Royal House of Romania,
And in pursuit of My duty to history and
to my Family heirs,
In full conformity with the values and
principles of the European Union which
grant everyone the right to express his
identity and aspirations,
And acting on My own free will,

MAKE THE FOLLOWING
DECISIONS PUBLIC:

1. My eldest daughter, The Princess
Margareta, is to be my successor and
Head of the Royal House of Romania,
after my death. If the Romanian Nation
and Parliament were to decide to
reinstate the Monarchy as the form of
government, I ask the Parliament to cease
to implement the Salic-law as the form
of succession, which does not correspond
either to the elementary rights in Europe
today, or to the values of Romanian
society. Until these events should come
about, The Princess Margareta will
remain, after my death, Head of the Royal
House of Romania and Custodian of the
Romanian Crown.

Another complication in the case of Nicholas is that his marriage needed consent:

Article 7

1) The marriage of a member of the Royal House of Romania
shall be subject to the consent of the Head of the Royal House
of Romania in order for it to have dynastic significance.
2) A marriage that does not comply with paragraph (1) above
shall not be recognized dynastically for any purpose and shall
result in the forfeiture of all accompanying rights, honours,
privileges and prerogatives as defined by this Statute.

Of course Nicholas will argue the membership was already revoked by his grandfather (a decision he contests) and so he did not request his aunt Princess Margareta for consent. But did he still consider himself a Prince of Romania (after all he fights the loss of membership) this marriage has ended it all, by his own act and deed.

Or Nicholas did formally request his aunt Princess Margareta for consent indeed, but the reaction by Palais Elisabeta maybe was that a consent was not requested nor to be given by the Custodian of the Crown since the request is not about an intended marriage by a member of the Royal House.

Last edited:
As long as there is no royal Constitution, the Royal House is an autonomous entity established and organized by Fundamental Rules "enacted by the hand of King Michael I, Sovereign Head of the Royal House of Romania (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen), by the Grace of God and jure sanguinis, Crowned King of Romania" as is stated in the preamble. In all and everything the Republic of Romania follows this document as it is Margareta von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen who is the one almost-but-not-yet treated as Queen of Romania. She. And not Mr Smith or Mrs Jones.

But that isn't the point that LauraS3514 was making. Whatever is in the Royal House's Fundamental Rules is irrelevant to any decision the GOVERNMENT of Romania makes should a decision be made to restore the monarchy.

Additionally, who is to say that Margareta and the family would continue to keep Nicolae out of the Royal House should things progress to the point where the restoration of the monarchy is on the table? We can't know what she or the rest of the family would do in that scenario.

But that isn't the point that LauraS3514 was making. Whatever is in the Royal House's Fundamental Rules is irrelevant to any decision the GOVERNMENT of Romania makes should a decision be made to restore the monarchy.

Additionally, who is to say that Margareta and the family would continue to keep Nicolae out of the Royal House should things progress to the point where the restoration of the monarchy is on the table? We can't know what she or the rest of the family would do in that scenario.

In everyday's acts and deeds, in granting a formal residence to Princess Margareta, in providing her with a state budget, with staffing, with facilities, utilities and logistics, with official Speeches to Parliament, with receiving of Ambassadors to even annual Christmas Addresses on public television. With security, diplomatic and consular assistance: in all and everything the blueprint of the late King Michael is followed. His eldest child, according to his proposed succession and not his Heir according to the last royal Constitution. It is clear which path the State of Romania has chosen. And would Romania ever, ever, re-instate the hereditary monarchy as a form of state, it is obvious it will be King Michael's line of succession in order of full primogeniture.

Last edited:
I'd say they would go with Mihai. It was out of necessity that king Mihai decided that his daughters could be successors to... Other non-reigning houses so far haven't made that change as far as I am aware.
There are plenty of male heirs in many other non-reigning houses. King Michael’s changes I’d say were pragmatic, however the other line of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen is there and were part of the succession, but the late King Michael only wanted the succession to pass through his line solely..

Last edited:
There are plenty of male heirs in many other non-reigning houses. King Michael’s changes I’d say were pragmatic, however the other line of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen is there and were part of the succession, but the late King Michael only wanted the succession to pass through his line solely..

Now Erbprinz Alexander seems to have informed his father he has had a religious marriage with his American partner (no idea if the civil wedding, the only legally binding union, has taken place) it is a luck that the Hohenzollerns have been exluded now because it would create a conflict of heirs not marrying with consent or not marrying an eligible partner (which is a condition in the House of Hohenzollern but not in the House of Romania).

Now Erbprinz Alexander seems to have informed his father he has had a religious marriage with his American partner (no idea if the civil wedding, the only legally binding union, has taken place) it is a luck that the Hohenzollerns have been exluded now because it would create a conflict of heirs not marrying with consent or not marrying an eligible partner (which is a condition in the House of Hohenzollern but not in the House of Romania).
Well it seems to be in disarray with the Sigmaringen Hohenzollerns of Romania with this succession.

The Council , where our Prince Lorenz is Member, spoke certianly the future of the Royal Roumanian House.

Back
Top Bottom