Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Artemisia, the support for the monarchy in Romania is quite large and if a referendum would be held this year, there would actually be a good possibility of a restoration.

However, except for some hollow statements from opposition parties, there is no strong movement from the big political parties. There is PNTCD, a small monarchist party, but there is so much infighting and inefficiency that I doubt they will be able to do anything. They aren't even trying to take advantage of the current political atmosphere.

Furthermore, although there is widespread support for the monarchy, only a handful of royalists are actually out there protesting for a referendum, with the majority of Romanians that support the monarchy being largely apathetic.

We have no organised association as the Serbians have for the restoration of the monarchy. So at the moment, it is just some small disorganised groups of royalists in various cities making noise, but nothing conrete coming out of it.

So although there is a great support for the restoration, ironically enough there is a very low chance a referendum will take place. I don't think the restoration of the monarchy will take place in the near future. But maybe Cory knows something I don't...

:previous:
Thank you for detailed and informative post, I appreciate it. :flowers:
No political party will risk alienating part of its electorate by actively promoting restoration. It is true in Serbia, and appears to be true in Romania.

If the liberals will not support openly the Monarchy they will lose the votes of many royalists.

If the polls speak about 42 % of the population supporting the King things are very clear.

42% support him, as opposed to what? Is the remaining 58% against the King? I'm not understanding the question that was asked for the polls. If the question is, "who would you like as Head of State", and King Michael gets 42%, while maybe 10 others share the remaining 58%, that's good; but if the question is "do you approve or disapprove of King Michael", and only 42% approve and 58% disapprove, it's not good.

Either way, King Michael needs to become more active in getting the monarchy restored. Unless you're the heir to an existing monarchy, nobody is just handed a throne.

I'm not understanding the question that was asked for the polls. If the question is, "who would you like as Head of State", and King Michael gets 42%, while maybe 10 others share the remaining 58%, that's good; but if the question is "do you approve or disapprove of King Michael", and only 42% approve and 58% disapprove, it's not good.

It was asked, most probably, "which public person, or personality do you trust the most?". The king got 42%, the first was the governor of the national bank with 48% of trust from the people. It was a top of the romanian personalities who inspire credibility to the people.

HM King Mihai I is too old to lead a campaign for the restoration of Monarchy. The campaign must be leaded by other persons.

HRH Princess Margareta could be that person, to lead, or at least to guide this sort of campaign, anyway this is the kind of job that one cannot acomplish by him/herself. Without a media support, without the support of the intellectuals, of the leaders of oppinion, historicals, one cannot change so drastically the oppinion of an important part of the society (unfortunately).
I think it would be a great idea if some tv channel could be created, I heard that in UK there's such channel, with tv programmes about the monarchy. That would be interesting for us too, but who could do the job? There are indeed some monarchists among the journalists, but I don't know how they could gather and elaborate such a project, who could take the initiative in this...
Beginning from this year, HRH Prince Nicholas will be finishing his studies in London and most probably will be settling in Romania, to join and help the rest of the royal family in their activities (public or not). He will most probably learn the language well and I think the people will like him. He could be the one to help the Crown-Princess.

The Crown Princess is helped in her activities by Prince Radu and the possible arrival of Prince Nicholas woud help a lot.
Many intellectuals/historians are in favour of Monarchy and declare this openly.

Guys, the problem is not support from the people, media, intellectuals, etc. That exists. The problem is there is no large public movement for the restoration. An association must be formed that will begin organized campaigns, such as billboard and TV adverts, that support the restoration. It must become a national fervor that can be done only by widespread,grand campaigns and publicity. At the moment, all we have is a handful of royalists in Timisoara and Bucuresti that are protesting without being noticed. Nothing will happen that way.

I agree though that way forward is for Prince Nicholas to settle in Romania and place himself under the spotlight. That will definitely boost the monarchy's chances.

Guys, the problem is not support from the people, media, intellectuals, etc. That exists. The problem is there is no large public movement for the restoration. An association must be formed that will begin organized campaigns, such as billboard and TV adverts, that support the restoration. It must become a national fervor that can be done only by widespread,grand campaigns and publicity. At the moment, all we have is a handful of royalists in Timisoara and Bucuresti that are protesting without being noticed. Nothing will happen that way.

I agree though that way forward is for Prince Nicholas to settle in Romania and place himself under the spotlight. That will definitely boost the monarchy's chances.

I totally agree with you!

I would just like to thank our Romanian members for clarifying the situation in Romania and the attitude of its people towards the possibility of restoration. :flowers:
It is a lot clearer now, at least for me.

Romanian Monarchy Status

I totally agree with you!

Could you please clarify for me the exact official status and position of The Romanian Royal Family now in Romania?
Im very interested in their status compared to the situations in Albania and Montenegro, where the Royal Families have official acknowledgement and diplomatic status, some property restitution, salary and pension allowance, and official honoury status.
How does the legal and official position of The Romanian Royal Family and HM King Michael compare to these?
Also now King Michael has removed The Hohenzollern name and titles from The Romanian Royal Family, what is the new or correct Family/Dynasty surname of Romania's Royal Family?
Thank you!

The official Surname is :"Of Romania".
HM King Michael I receives a sort of pension from the State but the bills for Elisabeta Palace are paid by the Royal Family.
Theoretically many parts of the personal properties of HM King was given back.

Today the president went to the Parliament and tried to deliver a speech but was interrupted by a group who asked for his resignation and who shouted the name of the King :

Manifeste anti B

King Michael in Royal News Tributes

The UK based Royalty and Majesty Magazines have both had articles and special features in recent issues on HM King Michael's 90th Birthday celebrations, his background and life, and his speech in Parliament.
Interesting features and tribute to his life and history of his reign.

What happened today in Parliament.... excellent!! That's exactly the type of national publicity the movement needs! People need to see that the restoration isn't just a wanted yet far-fetched idea, but that there are actually people out there doing something about it and the idea is still alive and real.

This national publicity is well-timed to re-spark the monarchy debate among normal people. Let's hope the media will entertain it further!

Parliament incident.

Yes, i agree its up-lifting and hopeful when pro-active (but legal and not counter-productive) events like this and other types of public demo activities happen and take place in support of Monarchy and the Royal family.
Especially if the action gets media or public attention.
I only wish i could read more detail of this event on-line in any English language News site?

If neither King Michael nor his family is going to devote time to getting the monarchy restored, and if there isn't another principal leader who's devoted to making restoration happen, then it won't. Changing a country's system of government is a major change; it won't just happen because people like the King or even if a majority want it. There needs to be a large campaign, with plenty of funding and plenty of support by influential people in Romania.

In the US, it would take a Constitutional amendment, which would take years of work and the approval of multiple legislatures, for example.

In the US, it would take a Constitutional amendment, which would take years of work and the approval of multiple legislatures, for example.

Just by curiosity, are there many people in the U.S. interested in the topic of monarchy? Or even some royalist organisations?
From the way I see the americans, I didn't think or guess something like that...I imagine they're extremely glad and satisfied with their presidential republic :)

Just by curiosity, are there many people in the U.S. interested in the topic of monarchy? Or even some royalist organisations?
From the way I see the americans, I didn't think or guess something like that...I imagine they're extremely glad and satisfied with their presidential republic :)

Americans are very dissatisfied with their government. Part of the problem may be the deep divide between the two main political parties; the government is seen as ineffective and incapable of solving problems. There are three branches of the Federal government, and the Supreme Court is respected; the President is loved by less than half of the country and loathed by less than half of the country; and Congress is despised by everyone.

The British Royal Family, which was "our" Royal Family until 1776, is very popular; when they visit, they draw huge crowds and a lot of media attention.

You'd think that the things that I list above would mean that American would want a monarchy, but nobody much thinks that way. There are no monarchist organizations that have any kind of influence, and the topic isn't ever really discussed.

The people could ask for a referendum even if the political parties fear it.

If members of the royal family get involved in what is essentially a poliical issue they become nothing more than the politicians they are competing against. If the monarchy were to be restored it would have to be done by a nation organized public movement acting in the interests of the nation while keeping King Michael and his family above and outside of the political movement. He can only ever be a symbol of the nation, and at the age of 90 not a long time remians for that.

The Royal Family is not involved in politics at all. All the royalists group do not involve the Royal Family.

The Royal Family is not involved in politics at all. All the royalists group do not involve the Royal Family.

I know, I was responding to post 259 which seemed to suggest the royal family needed to get involved and lead the moanrchist movement.

The royalist movements have a very good dialogue with the Royal House and would never do something against the will of the King or of the Crown Princess.

Last edited:
Princess Mari Anna is from the Draculesti family. She has more right to Romania Because she is from a direct line to Prince Vlad. closer then Prince Charles is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom