Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting important royalist personalities left ANRM. Will they now organize some new royalist Association at the beginning of this year?

With what's going on in the last few months the chances of a Restoration are really impossible for the moment.

The royalists that left ANRM seem to organize another official Group.

The new Association will certainly support HM the King.

Hard to know how this new Association will see the future after the King.

Those that remained in ANRM have a new copresident: the Greek-Catholic Valentin Lungu. There is an appeal toninite the royalists group but it is hard to say who will follow ANTM in this project.

Not sure where to post this but this thread seems as good as any.

The Romanian Senate has voted overwhelmingly to restore the Crown to the national coat of arms in recognition of its symbolic and historical significance, thus bringing Romania into line with many other countries, such as Poland, Serbia and the Czech Republic, who did the same after the revolutions of '89. The decision must be approved by the Chamber of Deputies before it becomes law.

While this is clearly not a sign that the monarchy is going to be restored any time soon, it is a step in the reassertion of Romania's national identity in the pre-Communist era and a recognition of the significance of the crown in the history of Romanian statehood.

While

The Chamber of Deputees will have to decide about the crown but obviously the restoration of Monarchy is not possible at all in the near future.

The Chamber of Deputies will vote on the matter of the crown. There is definitely no question about the restoration of the monarchy anytime soon.

The Chamber of Deputies will vote on the matter of the crown. There is definitely no question about the restoration of the monarchy anytime soon.

They will hold a referendum soon?

A referendum for what?

While I was of those who thought that the restoration especially in Romania is closer than ever now after all these developments (and those that were not) hear restoration and ask what is this?

Forget any restoration. The best the former royal family can get is a semi-formal position and that is what they have now. This means that they are acknowledged as part of the great patrimonium of Romania and that the State (and society) respects them as such but that there is no restoration.

Like in Germany, in France, etc. where former royals and nobles have a position in society. On all those numerous historic estates all over the country, they try to continue and to preserve their wonderful patrimonium and continue to uphold their standards. Often they (like the Duke of Bragança, the Crown Prince of Serbia, Princess Margarita of Romania) are invited as special guests, as guests-of-honour, given a prominent place. being treated with all égards and respect. This works also on local scale: the local noble from the castle outside the village will also be a prominent guest on the annual fair, or sit in a committee, or a council, or in a board, etc. So their position has evolved from a political to a social position.

Romania (or Portugal, or Greece, or Serbia) back to a monarchy: forget it.

Do they speak in the Roumanian Press about Nicolas their former Prince and his non offical Child ?

They do. Actually the link between Nicholas and Miss Cirjan and her pregnancy was basically made up by the Romanian press.

No chance for any Restoration soon. If the royalists do not try to see the reality and to support the Hohenzollerns they just live in a dream.

Isn't the hope that the Hohenzollerns will bring the monarchy back to Romania even a bigger dream?
If the restoration won't take place with King Michael and/or his immediate successor (and I can't see it as a realistic possibility), IMO it won't take place at all. And certanily it won't be the current Fürst von Hohenzollern the one who will promote the restoration in Romania.

It is rather impossible to see any Restoration soon anyway but a Prince of Hohenzollern could be certainly not envolved in any way in the last years controversies so could be more acceptable for many.

...if only the Hohenzollerns were interested in Romania and its hypothetical throne...

That's very true. We won't know their real interest until the Succession will become really an issue.

[...] And certanily it won't be the current Fürst von Hohenzollern the one who will promote the restoration in Romania.

The current Fürst von Hohenzollern is probably a realistic man with large businesses to run and he may well have made the assessment that it is spilled energy to put too much efforts in "Romania" as the situation is at present. Most likely the Fürst made the right decision with that.

It can change after Princess Margarita. What will happen then? Then it can become interesting again for the Fürst to pay some attention to the affairs of his cousins in Romania.

Last edited:
But then I wonder: why should the Romanians ever offer their throne to a man who has never cared about them and about Romania?

But then I wonder: why should the Romanians ever offer their throne to a man who has never cared about them and about Romania?

Quite. The best hope for monarchists in Romania is firstly that the Hohenzollerns continue to show no interest so as to avoid the harakiri we have seen in countries like Italy and France and secondly that the King's family can get their act together.

Why should the Romanians ever offer the Throne to descendants of nowadays King who hardly speak Romanian or do not speak it at all?

Oh... the throne... forget it. I was talking about the domains and the estates. The Hohenzollerns have large domains and a number of historic castles. I can imagine it is more interesting to them to add the domains to fheir already efficient estate management, proven for 1000 years, than that it would be interesting for a someone in London, like Karina Medforth-Mills.

The throne is for daydreamers as Lambrino.

Why should the Romanians ever offer the Throne to descendants of nowadays King who hardly speak Romanian or do not speak it at all?

That includes the current successors Karina Medforth-Mills and Elisabeth Biarneix, both living far away from Romania. At least the Hohenzollerns have some geographic acceptable distance, the history, the experience and hundreds of staff. Miss Medforth-Mills and mademoiselle Biarneix probably have never seen an estate in working while their far cousin Prince Alexander is already in the family business and studying management and economics. All three of them share that they don't speak Romanian.

But Máxima did not speak Dutch, Mary did not speak Danish, Nicholas did not speak Romanian, Mathilde did not speak Dutch, etc. A language can be learned...

I suppose that in case of a restoration the Throne would be offered firstly to King Michael (who AFAIK knows and speak Romanian), then to his daughter Margarita (who AFAIK knows and speak Romanian).
If the restoration won't take place during their lives - which is something I can't see very likely - I don't think that the restoration will be ever considered again.
So I do not think that the Crown will be offered to any other descendant of King Michael who hardly speak romanian or do not speak it at all (although, as shown by many persons, the lack of knowledge of the language is an insormontable obstacle). The same goes for the Hohenzollerns IMO.

Oh... the throne... forget it. I was talking about the domains and the estates. The Hohenzollerns have large domains and a number of historic castles. I can imagine it is more interesting to them to add the domains to fheir already efficient estate management, proven for 1000 years, than that it would be interesting for a someone in London, like Karina Medforth-Mills.

The throne is for daydreamers as Lambrino.
Ah ok, I see what you mean. But I do not think that the Hohenzollerns would heve much success; there is (and will be) plenty of descendants and successors to the former and late Kings of Romania who would be more entitled to get back the estates, rather then the descendants of the brother of King Ferdinand by virtue of the fact that the old (and later abrogated) Constitution gave them a place in the line of succession.
It's more likely that any estate will be given back to King Michael's descendants or to King Ferdinand's descendants.

The Hohenzollerns have nothing to do with the private properties of King Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom