Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to tell. The Royal Family is pretty popular in the country and has an active role in Romania's day-to-day life. Among other things, the Royal Family often host foreign dignitaries upon the request of the Government. King Michael and Crown Princess Margrethe in particular appear to enjoy a very high regard, and the young Prince Nicholas is becoming popular too, especially since he moved to Romania.

This said, it's pretty difficult to predict how a referendum would go, or whether one will take place in near future; Romania - like most other countries in the region - has far more prevailing problems than changing its form of Government. If a referendum does take place, if the restoration is supported by all major political parties, and if it's heavily promotes (e.g. TV programmes on historical events, the role of the Monarch, etc), then it's quite possible.

"Ora Regelui" din 12 ianuarie 2013/"The King's Hour" (the 12th of January 2013) and clear Appeals for the restoration of Monarchy:

Ora regelui

It's hard to tell. The Royal Family is pretty popular in the country and has an active role in Romania's day-to-day life. Among other things, the Royal Family often host foreign dignitaries upon the request of the Government. King Michael and Crown Princess Margrethe in particular appear to enjoy a very high regard, and the young Prince Nicholas is becoming popular too, especially since he moved to Romania.

This said, it's pretty difficult to predict how a referendum would go, or whether one will take place in near future; Romania - like most other countries in the region - has far more prevailing problems than changing its form of Government. If a referendum does take place, if the restoration is supported by all major political parties, and if it's heavily promotes (e.g. TV programmes on historical events, the role of the Monarch, etc), then it's quite possible.

Wouldn't it be amazing if a restoration happened during the life time of His Majesty The King!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid in this very moment no one from the political class really wants something like that! Recently, the leader of the Liberal Party, president of the Romanian Senate, declared frankly that he expects to win without any doubts the next presidential elections, in 2014; moreover, he stated that the president's functions should remain the same.
Practically, he turned around with 180 degrees with his position, untill now almost everybody from the new political coalition in power agreed that a parliamentary system would be far better for Romania, with a president with less power, eventually elected by the Parliament.
Unfortunately, with this kind of statements, the liberal leader showed that he in fact does not want a "healing", a correction of the actual system, he only wants to get elected as president, with the same attributes, the same powers as the actual president. Not a single word about monarchy.

The only solution for the problem could come from the civil society, there are many people who are extremely unsatisfied with the actual political class, a great part of them are not voting, at all, at any kind of elections, nearly 50% of them.
The ones who voted in december for the alliance now in power, who has a majority of 70% in the Parliament, are becoming angry because of the so-called "deal" between the actual prime-minister and the president still in charge, dismissed actually last summer through vote, by the people, but saved by some..."technicalities" and with help from his friends at the European Comission.
This act, this deal is more and more seen as one of treason, regarded the ones recently voted at the parliamentary elections in december. The people are beginning to feel betrayed by the ones they actually elected.
This situation should encourage the civil society to unite and to act, to realise that a real change can only be made with monarchy.
Only then, the political parties, would be more reasonable and think again, over this alternative.

It is really hard to belive the Restoration will really take place this year.

Even the politicians "officially royalists" seem to accept now a little change of the Constitution but with the republic. This year the chances of Monarchy do not look very well.

"The King's Hour" at the National Television (the 16th of February 2013):

Ora regelui

The XXXIIIrd edition of "The King's Hour" at the Romanian National Television:

Ora regelui

The XXXIVth edition of the "King's Hour" about HM King Mihai I, HM Queen Ana, HRH Princess Elena and HRH Prince Nicolae:

Ora regelui

A program dedicated to the Royal Family and to the Monarchy every Saturday at the National Romanian Television.

A new program dedicated to the Rozal Family on the 30th of March

Ora regelui

I do not know much about the Romanian situation, but I am sufficiently interested in Romanian history that I would like to read more of it. Prince Charles of England loves Romania and owns a house there. What little I have read seems to indicate that King Michael was a strong
intelligent king but pushed around by forces beyond even a strong king's strength, such as the Communist take-over. The history of Romania, from what I've read, is VERY complex, with many ethnic groups vying for power over centuries. It is one of the crossroads of Europe, in that sense, a crossroads between West and East.

What you have written here on this thread indicates that the economic decline affecting the whole West (Europe, UK, USA) is such a big problem now that restoration of the monarchy is a secondary concern.

The restoration is not the main issue on the list of the romanians' concerns.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that's still not enough :(

Monarchy is supported especially by the youth:

Sondaj: Tinerii, categoria de vâst

It is very important many youth are in favour of Monarchy but is very hard to know the future.

I am surprised that the number is so large! I would assume the number would be smaller, as I would think that more people would trust the king! Are there reasons behind the trust issues? What has the king done to show distrust?

After so many years of campaign against the King 51% trust is very good.

"The King's Hour" of the 25th of May at the National Television:

Ora regelui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom