Prince Nicholas (son of Ferdinand and Marie) (1903-1978)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johan

Commoner
City
Cape Town
Country
South Africa
After Nicholas made the morganatic marriage with Joanna Dumitrescu-Doletti, he was exiled by his brother King Carol II.

Was he ever able to return to Romania after Carol left Romania, or after the 2nd World War (before the family was exiled in Dec 1947/ Jan 1948.

IIRC he inheritted property from his mother in Venice? Is this true?

Does anyone have some interesting information about him, apart from his birth and death information.

Well,he never received any rights again.
After the death of his first wife,he married second time a Brazilian woman Theresa Lisboa Figueira de Mello ,with no issue of either marriage.
He was deprived of his rights,lived under the name of "Nicolae Brana" and never returned to Romania.

This is not really so:prince Nicolae received back his princely title from King Mihai I and he was Prince of Hohenzollern until his death.

In 1927 Nicholas founded and he was the first President of the Romanian Kennel Club.

So, Prince Nicolae married twice and had no issue?

There were different photographs of His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas on Pinterest.
One picture was accompanied by a short biography, which stated:
Nicholas had no children.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Prince Nicolae married twice and had no issue?

He did not have children and he was not too close to his nephew, the King. The has always been very loyal to his Hohenzollern Family and had very good relations with the German Princes of Hohenzollern.

He should be buried at Curtea de Arges with his parents and brother.

Carol II had a better dialogue with his sister Elisabeta.

Did he ever meet his brother in exile after 1940?

His second eife was Catholic. Did they had a Catholic marriage?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not know too much about this "other" Nicolae. Another "victim" of King Carol II. I wonder Carol liked or loved someone from his family;

Well,he never received any rights again.
After the death of his first wife,he married second time a Brazilian woman Theresa Lisboa Figueira de Mello ,with no issue of either marriage.
He was deprived of his rights,lived under the name of "Nicolae Brana" and never returned to Romania.

He was deprived of his titles only few years. He was restored to his titles by his nephew,King Mihai I.

Did Theresa de Mello remained Catholic all her life. Her marriage was a Catholic marriage?

It is rather interesting that after 1941 Prince Nicholas used almost only the title of Prince of Hohenzllern that was given back to him by his nephew, King Mihai I. The Prince kept until his death a very close dialogue with the members of His Family from Siegmaringen and his wifes were both accepted also by the Hohenzollerns.

Now that the new Orthodox church is finished at Curtea de Arges the remains of Prince Nicholas could be brought there by his nephews and nieces.

At Curtea de Arges are two Catholic Kings buried and now a Catholic Queen will be buried.
I have never heard Prince Nicholas converted at Catholicism.

At Curtea de Arges are two Catholic Kings buried and now a Catholic Queen will be buried.
I have never heard Prince Nicholas converted at Catholicism.

How strange - one guesses you are not well informed of the Romanian realities, especially when it comes to the royal diaspora.

I will have to look through my files to find the exact date of his conversion.

Moving either Nicholas or his second wife would be difficult: Paul Lambrino is technically the heir to their estate in Romania after having purchased the rights from Tereza's son Andres. Paul has virtually disappeared from public view since being investigated for corruption. One imagines he has more pressing matters to worry about than digging up a great-uncle that he never met.

I am not in expert in the history of the Romanian Royal Family but I am always happy to know new details of this history.
The story of the conversion to Catholicism of Prince Nicholas is not enough known probably.

So he was the only child of King Ferdinand that accepted in the end the faith of the King and of his paternal ancestors.

Prince Nicholas seems to have been the only member of the Romanian Royal Family to ever convert from the religion of their birth.

I do not think this fact is known in Romania. His first wife I suppose was Orthodox but the second one certainly Catholic.
Any articles about his conversion are available in French or English?

Last edited:
I would be very interested to see it. I knew he was close to his Hohenzollern relatives but I did not know he also shared their faith in his last 15 years of life.

Prince Nicholas became Catholic in the last part of his life and probably did not intend to be buried in an Orthodox Monastery like Curtea de Arges. His will should be respected and distant relatives should not take decisions against his will.

Prince Nicholas seems to have been the only member of the Romanian Royal Family to ever convert from the religion of their birth.

He was the son of a devout Catholic and he chose to return to the faith of his paternal family.

Prince Nicholas became Catholic in the last part of his life and probably did not intend to be buried in an Orthodox Monastery like Curtea de Arges. His will should be respected and distant relatives should not take decisions against his will.

I am aware of the Prince's conversion to Catholicism since I provided you with that information.

It is worth noting that the prince did express a wish that his bones be buried at Curtea de Argeş after his passing.

However, Prince Nicholas is buried with his first wife at the Cimetière Chrétien, Prilly, Switzerland.

He married a communor and was the only Child of King Ferdinand and Queen Marie who had a happy life !

Prince Nicholas attended a ceremony of swearing-in of new recruits of King Michael of Romania's Army

The Custodian of the Crown has the honor to announce the decision to repatriate the bones of Prince Regent Nicolae of Romania. The second son of King Ferdinand and Queen Maria will rest, together with his wife Ioana, in the Royal Cathedral in Curtea de Argeș.
With the blessing of the Blessed Patriarch Daniel, His Eminenc Archbishop Calinic of Argeș and Muscel will officiate the reburial ceremony on Friday, March 29, at 12:00. Prince Regent Nicholas will sleep his eternal sleep next to his older brother, King Carol II.

Prince Nicolae, the brother of King Carol II, is buried at Curtea de Argeș.
His mortal remains were brought from Lausanne (Switzerland), along with those of his wife, Ioana Dumitrescu-Doletti. The aircraft carrying the bones of Prince Regent Nicolae and those of his wife Ioana landed in Bucharest on the evening of March 27.
At the military and religious ceremony, Her Majesty Custodian of the Crown is represented by His Royal Highness Prince Radu. From the royal family, the former Prince Nicolae is also present, together with his wife, Alina.
Representatives of the Government, the Romanian Army, civil society, as well as members of His Majesty's Household take part in the ritual.
Radu, Nicolae and Alina-Maria:
Pic

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom