The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1701  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Margareta and Radu are realistic.
Which is why the latter embarked on a widely successful campaign to become President of Romania in 2009.

Right.
__________________
Sii forte.
  #1702  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Maybe there's elements to this debacle I don't know about but to me, I see a hardworking woman with decades of serving under her belt and the possibility of a better opportunity to serve her people being attacked by a very bitter young man with too much to say for himself.
Yes, there are more elements that you do not know about, but it is probably best that way, because otherwise you would lose the respect that you have for Crown Princess Margarita (which I used to have, too). I could refer you to the author (who is a personal friend of mine) of a book on the King for more on the behind-the-scenes dynamics in this family, which the author witnessed and experienced first-hand. But, then again, you seem to have already made up your mind about the situation.

As I wrote before, this is a story about which there are two camps.
__________________
Sii forte.
  #1703  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,668
Was it fair what was done to him in 2015?Was it fair not to let him see his grandfather?Was it fair not to welcome him on the Royal Train yesterday?
Regarding the way the King's Family treat titles (generally not according to the Constitution of 1923) we see the example of Michael and Angelica Kreuger who were stripped of their titles of that proposed Line not only without reason but even without a statement. At least they gave a Statement about Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills even if nobody understands even today what happened in 2015.
  #1704  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Yes, there are more elements that you do not know about, but it is probably best that way, because otherwise you would lose the respect that you have for Crown Princess Margarita (which I used to have, too). I could refer you to the author (who is a personal friend of mine) of a book on the King for more on the behind-the-scenes dynamics in this family, which the author witnessed and experienced first-hand. But, then again, you seem to have already made up your mind about the situation.

As I wrote before, this is a story about which there are two camps.
I'm more than happy to examine things from the other side if there's credible sources available. I'm not the sort of person who closes their mind to new information because it may change my opinion.
  #1705  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Was it fair what was done to him in 2015?Was it fair not to let him see his grandfather?Was it fair not to welcome him on the Royal Train yesterday?
Regarding the way the King's Family treat titles (generally not according to the Constitution of 1923) we see the example of Michael and Angelica Kreuger who were stripped of their titles of that proposed Line not only without reason but even without a statement. At least they gave a Statement about Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills even if nobody understands even today what happened in 2015.
1. We don't know if it was fair because we don't know what he did. What we do know is that it was the King's wish. Nicholas whining about how unfair life is can hardly be seen as very dignified. And if it was unfair, he could tell the world why he was demoted and defend himself. He hasn't chosen to do so.

2. If his behaviour up until now had been violent/intimidating or divisive then yes, it was fair. It was a funeral. Nobody wants unpleasantness at a funeral.
  #1706  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
1. We don't know if it was fair because we don't know what he did. What we do know is that it was the King's wish. Nicholas whining about how unfair life is can hardly be seen as very dignified. And if it was unfair, he could tell the world why he was demoted and defend himself. He hasn't chosen to do so.

2. If his behaviour up until now had been violent/intimidating or divisive then yes, it was fair. It was a funeral. Nobody wants unpleasantness at a funeral.
How can somebody defend himself if he is not accused of anything specifically?
Any proof he has ever been " violent/intimidating"?
  #1707  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Have you any proof he wasn’t? You can’t seriously be suggesting that King Michael removed him for no reason at all? Or that his own mother would condemn his recent behaviour if there wasn’t genuine cause?
  #1708  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:02 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 34,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
In his initial statement after being deprived of his status, he said, "The position of prince of Romania and the presence in the line of succession are enforcing a way of conducting my life that I find difficult to accept. That’s why, I regretfully consider that the decision of HM the King is welcome to me. I will search in the future to serve my ideals and principles in a different way". So when the King removed him from the line of succession and reduced his status, Nicholas said he accepted that and that he found the expectations of his grandfather too difficult to live with.

And yet just 28 days ago, he said, "My statement of August 2015 regarding the withdrawal of the title was not written by me, I was forced to accept it. I refused to sign it and until today, it remains unsigned".
His "statement" is the press release published at the website of the Royal Family of Romania.
Comunicatul Biroului de Presă al Majestății Sale, 11 august 2015 _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

Nicholas said: "My statement of August 2015 regarding the withdrawal of the title was not written by me, I was forced to accept it. I refused to sign it and until today, it remains unsigned".
This is why the "Nicholas' statement" was published only as a text/press release at the website of the Royal Family of Romania. Nicholas hadn't signed it, so they couldn't publish the statement with his signature. Margarita and Radu thought that the statement without a signature was enough, and that Nicholas would never come back to Romania again.

Nicholas said at an interview in 2016, translation at Marlene's blog
"I was asked to come back from vacation, and on the morning of August 10, I learned what was discussed and decided during the ten days of my absence, As I said the decision to revoke my title and exclude me from the succession had already been made, It did not matter if I agreed with the decision or not."
Royal Musings
  #1709  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,668
Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills does not seem to believe his grandfather had anything to do with what happened in August 2015.
Until it is officially stated by authorities that a person was violent there is no proof of something like this.
  #1710  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Have you any proof he wasn’t? You can’t seriously be suggesting that King Michael removed him for no reason at all? Or that his own mother would condemn his recent behaviour if there wasn’t genuine cause?

Margarita, who attained Swiss citizenship earlier this year, actually dropped the complaint against her nephew. Doubt she would have done that if there had been factual evidence he truly did try to force his way inside the Aubonne home. Plus, she probably did not want to have to testify in court about it, which she was going to be required to do if she went forward with the charges.
__________________
Sii forte.
  #1711  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Nicholas said: "My statement of August 2015 regarding the withdrawal of the title was not written by me, I was forced to accept it. I refused to sign it and until today, it remains unsigned".
This is why the "Nicholas' statement" was published only as a text/press release at the website of the Royal Family of Romania. Nicholas hadn't signed it, so they couldn't publish the statement with his signature. Margarita and Radu thought that the statement without a signature was enough, and that Nicholas would never come back to Romania again.
This is Nicholas' version of events. I'd be interested to hear Margareta's version but she has the sense it seems not to rush to journalists every five seconds with another family gripe to expose.

Quote:
Margarita, who attained Swiss citizenship earlier this year, actually dropped the complaint against her nephew. Doubt she would have done that if there had been factual evidence he truly did try to force his way inside the Aubonne home. Plus, she probably did not want to have to testify in court about it, which she was going to be required to do if she went forward with the charges.
Or perhaps she didn't want an all out scandal and a court case which would further damage the reputation of the Royal House? Just because she didn't proceed with charges doesn't mean it didn't happen. I can't prove it did of course but as with all things, if it doesn't make sense then it's probably not true. And I don't see any sense behind a group of adults banding together to persecute a young man at every turn considering that he'd only ever "replace" them when they were dead.

Have they done this for money? I doubt it. They're fairly well set up financially, even continuing to give Nicholas a stipend when he was removed from things.

So have they done it for attention or because of personal ambition? I doubt it. It's hardly brought positive attention and nobody has denied that Margareta is her father's successor as King Michael himself wished. 1923 nonsense aside, anyone who matters seems to accept that's the way of things. The Romanian government, the Romanian parliament, other Royal Families, the late King and Queen....so I doubt it's attention or ambition. Had Nicholas behaved himself and no changes were made at all, he'd have succeeded his mother. How exactly does that affect Margareta or Radu to the point where they have to invent incidences?

Have they done it because they're jealous of his popularity? I see no evidence that the Romanians are clamouring for him or that he stands any better or worse chance at a semi-official role than Margareta. A role Margareta may well be given by the Romanian parliament and which would (had he behaved better) have come to Nicholas anyway. So no. I don't think it's that.

If it doesn't make sense, it's rarely true. Nicholas is doing a great job of playing the victim but he's hardly displaying the dignity of a prince with his behaviour and I'm surprised to many people seem to support him and take his word as gospel so readily.
  #1712  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 13,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Which is why the latter embarked on a widely successful campaign to become President of Romania in 2009.

Right.

You live in the United States of America? Where every citizen, be it from a humble family in Hawaii or born with a golden spoon in New York, can run for the highest office?

Simeon von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha was elected Prime Minister of Bulgaria. Or was that also "not realistic"?

One has to start somewhere. Radu saw a chance for himself. Well, he had no chance. Other royals like Archduke Otto of Austria, the Duke of Parma, Archduchess Walburga and others ran for elected offices too. Some were succesful. Some not.
  #1713  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
You live in the United States of America? Where every citizen, be it from a humble family in Hawaii or born with a golden spoon in New York, can run for the highest office?

Simeon von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha was elected Prime Minister of Bulgaria. Or was that also "not realistic"?

One has to start somewhere.


Simeon was popular and he thus won the election. That was realistic. Radu was never been popular with the Romanian public. Go find how “well” he was polling before he dropped out. Talk about delusions of grandeur. He and Margarita even trotted King Michael out to endorse Radu when they surely knew, unless they were solely doing it for the publicity, that Radu did not have a chance in Hades of winning.
__________________
Sii forte.
  #1714  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Simeon was popular and he thus won the election. That was realistic. Radu was never been popular with the Romanian public. Go find how “well” he was polling before he dropped out. Talk about delusions of grandeur. He and Margarita even trotted King Michael out to endorse Radu when they surely knew, unless they were solely doing it for the publicity, that Radu did not have a chance in Hades of winning.
Wanting to play a role in Romania isn't a bad thing and at the time, there wasn't a realistic chance that the Royal House would find itself in the position it is today. I'd suggest that's far less of an issue than an ex-prince with a grudge stirring up scandal in the media at every opportunity.
  #1715  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Wanting to play a role in Romania isn't a bad thing and at the time, there wasn't a realistic chance that the Royal House would find itself in the position it is today. I'd suggest that's far less of an issue than an ex-prince with a grudge stirring up scandal in the media at every opportunity.


I’m guessing you are well acquainted with Radu’s association with the Securitate then? And his father’s connections with what became the PSD, a party that was created by former Communists and that also headed governments in post-Ceaușescu which blocked King Michael’s attempts to visit his country? And the debacle about his Hohenzollern-Veringen title?
__________________
Sii forte.
  #1716  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I’m guessing you are well acquainted with Radu’s association with the Securitate then? And his father’s connections with what became the PSD, a party that was created by former Communists and that also headed governments in post-Ceaușescu which blocked King Michael’s attempts to visit his country? And the debacle about his Hohenzollern-Veringen title?
I've stated before on this board that I'm no great fan of Prince Radu. And his bid for the Presidency was a little strange. But I don't see that it particularly damaged the Royal House in any way. Indeed if it had surely we wouldn't be looking at the bill in the Romanian parliament we see now?
  #1717  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 310
Nicholas needs to do two things:
1) sort out the paternity case as quickly as possible and, if it is proven that his the father of the this child, he needs to take repsonsibility for his actions and do what is necessary and honourable. He owes this 1) to the child, 2) to the child's mother, 3) to his new wife and 4) to his own family.

Unless he does so, he cannot escape accusations of a lack of personal morality and responsibility. His behaviour thus far has reinforced the justification given in the statement issued back in 2015 which accompanied his removal from the line of succession.

2) he needs to distance himself as quickly as possible from the viper's nest of 'monarchist' 'journalists' and 'activists' he seems to have fallen into, these parasites who are using him to make money and gain publicity for themselves and as a weapon to gain revenge on/attack their enemy - Margareta & Radu - and further their own political agenda.

All royal houses, reigning or non-reigning, need to keep these people at a distance because amongst them there are vampires after "news" (aka gossip and scandal) to devour and make money from or, still worse, which they can use to gain further influence and hold the families to ransom.

The unpopularity of Radu and the widespread opposition to him within media circles is the one consistent characteristic of the campaigns to promote Nicholas and/or the Hohenzollerns.
  #1718  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
This post is spot on.
  #1719  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,668
I find it rather strange to suggest to Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills not to be closed to the royalists that support the Monarchy and do not accept compromises. Certainly he needs good advisers if he wants to continue his grandfathers projects.
  #1720  
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
The unpopularity of Radu and the widespread opposition to him within media circles is the one consistent characteristic of the campaigns to promote Nicholas and/or the Hohenzollerns.


Let’s be candid: Radu was unpopular way before anyone could have dreamed that King Michael would make Nicholas a prince and a dynast.

He was not trusted when he married Margarita because some Romanians who knew the Royal Family were already aware of his and his family’s political associations.

He was not popular in his former role as Special for the Romanian Government for his tendency to overshadow his wife, who is the real royal.

He is not popular because he fluffed up his CV and rose through the ranks of the Romanian military in a fashion that has never been properly explained.

He is not popular because he has cultivated, by his own actions, the reputation as the éminence grise of the Royal Family, holding sway over not only his wife but her parents as they aged, and then over her sisters and nephews and nieces.

People on this board might have forgotten or been unaware that King Michael, Queen Anne and their daughters were involved in an insular cult called the Moral Re-Armament Movement while living in exile in Switzerland. Anne wrote about this in her memoirs, which were published in English. She admitted that she became bitter against the world for what had happened to her husband, and that Michael was often overcome (understandably) by moroseness due to losing his country. They did not have a social life, so the MRA helped with that. They only saw close relatives like the Greeks. The family was not well off. Michael was not made to be a businessman - he was raised to be a constitutional monarch. Only Margarita went to university, and the fees for the boarding schools for the four younger princesses were all paid for by Romanian monarchists in exile. The daughters were not taught Romanian, aside from the Lord’s Prayer, which their father used to recite every night. Essentially, the family was shut off from the happenings of the outside world, and they were vulnerable, and then the floodgates opened in 1989. The family were sitting ducks for a strong personality, which they surely got when Radu married Margarita. The Queen was a force to be reckoned with, too, but in the last several years of her life she was ill with lung cancer and what seems to have been dementia. Michael’s health was not great either. In addition to the cancers, he also had issues with his memory, which may have been dementia. The Royal Household was wise not to issue actual medical bulletins provided to them by doctors. This is why there are those who feel that Margarita and Radu issued the August 2015 decision in his name. I do not believe an actual copy of it has been seen bearing the king’s signature, but forgive me if I am wrong on that.

They’ve done the best they could, but they were and are by no means the model of a functional family.
__________________
Sii forte.
Closed Thread

Tags
prince nicolae, royal family of romania


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince of Wales - Title, Succession and Wales Jo of Palatine British Royals 96 01-19-2023 07:35 PM
Prince Nicholas (son of Ferdinand and Marie) (1903-1978) Johan The Royal Family of Romania 26 12-07-2022 05:07 AM
HSH Prince Hans-Adam II (1945- ) and the late HSH Princess Marie (1940-2021) Mandy Princely Family of Liechtenstein 158 12-04-2022 07:29 PM
Prince William's Suitability to be King CharlotteAmalia The Prince and Princess of Wales and Family 1099 12-02-2022 12:15 PM




Popular Tags
#alnahyanwedding #baby #rashidmrm #wedding abolished monarchies america arcadie claret bevilacqua caribbean charles iii claret coat of arms commonwealth countries current events death duarte pio edward vii elizabeth ii emperor naruhito espana fallen empires fifa women's world cup genealogy grace kelly hamdan bin ahmed harry history hollywood house of gonzaga international events king charles lady pamela hicks list of rulers mall coronation day matrilineal monaco monarchy movies new zealand; cyclone gabrielle official visit order of precedence pamela hicks pamela mountbatten portugal preferences prince & princess of wales prince christian princess of orange princess of wales queen queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen mathilde ray mill republics restoration royal initials royal wedding royal without thrones silk soccer spain spanish history state visit state visit to germany switzerland tiaras visit wiltshire


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises