Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Christianity does not forbid to admonish the sinners - vide: Gospel according to Matthew, chapter 18.

Last edited:
Christianity does not forbid to admonish the sinners - vide: Gospel according to Matthew, chapter 18.

Isn't it clear in this chapter that you should know that a sin has been committed before you proceed to admonish the sinner?

Indeed, but King Mihail or people close to him could have said "you are a sinner and I disapprove the way you behaved but you are still your grandfather's grandson and you are welcome to pay a last visit before he passes away".

I was referring to Forum members "admonishing" the King for his alleged implacability in relation to Nicolas.

Indeed, but King Mihail or people close to him could have said "you are a sinner and I disapprove the way you behaved but you are still your grandfather's grandson and you are welcome to pay a last visit before he passes away".

Yes, but probably King Michael is so hard on his grandson because mayhe, -speculation- he did all for him, enlisted him in his version of the succession, made him a Prince of Romania with the style of HRH, introduced him to the public and the world was open to Nicholas. Maybe the King felt so immensely let down by his grandson and heir, that something broke in him and dismissed him "for ever". We have no idea. It is by far not the only royal family where feuds run / ran deep, even around a death bed.

I personally believe that the last wishes of a person should be followed to the letter no matter what or who disagrees. The dying individual is the only important human at that specific time. If anyone, no matter who, gets upset or causes a scene because they feel their wants are more important, tough. They will just have to get over it properly or make a fool of themselves which does no one any good. If a person never wanted to see another individual ever again for whatever reason that is it and it is the immediate family to make sure his/her final wishes are followed to the letter even if they disagree. No one should ever reverse a dying individual's wishes especially when these wishes were made known many months prior and never wanted them changed. It is his/her last wish on this earth and should be honored.

Nicholas's statement at his Facebook. He has also added to his name "grandson of the king" (Nicolae de Roumanie Medforth Mills - Nepotul Regelui)
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=af106e181efbeb9bac830f90250a9b11&oe=5A6A6F74
https://www.facebook.com/PrincipeleNicolaealRomaniei/timeline?ref=page_internal

Article about his statement, princess Elena's statement and royal family's press release
Nicolae Medforth-Mills_ Nu cred că Regele Mihai este cel care a decis ca noi să nu ne vedem. Dimpotrivă, ştiu că şi-ar fi dorit mult - Mediafax
Translation

I can't understand that a mother can do to her child like princess Elena has today done to her son.

Last edited:
I personally believe that the last wishes of a person should be followed to the letter no matter what or who disagrees. The dying individual is the only important human at that specific time. If anyone, no matter who, gets upset or causes a scene because they feel their wants are more important, tough. They will just have to get over it properly or make a fool of themselves which does no one any good. If a person never wanted to see another individual ever again for whatever reason that is it and it is the immediate family to make sure his/her final wishes are followed to the letter even if they disagree. No one should ever reverse a dying individual's wishes especially when these wishes were made known many months prior and never wanted them changed. It is his/her last wish on this earth and should be honored.

I do agree that the last wishes of a person are very important. But I don't see how a grandson rejected by his grandfather and his family can make fool of himself when he bears the suffering of not being able to see a love one for the last time and express it. And when the last wish of a dying individual is due to bring more suffering than good on the earth, I am not sure it should honored whatever the price. A last wish can be evil, even when being a last wish. Not to speak about a mother who is undignified enough to spit publicly on her own son.

I do agree that the last wishes of a person are very important

And whose word do we have that these are the King's 'last wishes' ? ONLY the word of the clique that surrounds and controls him now..and who [of course] have their own interests to foster and protect.
Mr Medforth-Mills [judging from his statement] certainly believes his Grandfather would not have wished their relationship to end in this manner...and makes thinly veiled references to the individual/s he holds responsible...

Last edited:
A Christian should, first of all, care for the eternal salvation of him/herself and others.
Who knows, maybe Nicholas realized that he did wrong and wanted to ask his grandfather for forgiveness? (No matter what he did - but I am sure he didn't murder anyone)

As for Princess Elena - if this situation with the alleged granddaughter torments her, could she enter into the contact with her mother and suggest making a DNA test, even without Nicholas' knowledge? She could give her own sample, a grandma and granddaughter have some mutual genes; it would resolve the case.

What were the family relations during his grandmother's life? Nicholas attended her funeral, didn't he?
What were his relations with his late father, Robin Medforth-Mills? (he died when Nicholas was 16).

I hate this whole situation and feel much pain for Nicholas, his mother, grandfather and the rest of the family.

I do not find it difficult to understand the position of his mother and other family members, also.

Your son is potentially the father of a child, so you could be a grandparent. However, you are not allowed to know this because your son won't either acknowledge or deny it and will take no paternity test to settle the affair.

This drags on for two years. In the meantime, your son does not accept any financial or moral responsibility for the well-being of the baby. How would you feel about this behaviour?

A person denies his mother access to the knowledge as to whether she has a grandchild or not and then complains that he doesn't have access to his grandparent.

Nicholas' dash to see his dying grandfather in full knowledge that he would not be welcome is human but extremely ill-advised. The result: a scene which has delighted the gutter press eager to sell trash and discredit the royal house (and/or certain members).

I wish both sides would stop, reflect and think about the best way to restore dignity.

I do agree that the last wishes of a person are very important. But I don't see how a grandson rejected by his grandfather and his family can make fool of himself when he bears the suffering of not being able to see a love one for the last time and express it. And when the last wish of a dying individual is due to bring more suffering than good on the earth, I am not sure it should honored whatever the price. A last wish can be evil, even when being a last wish. Not to speak about a mother who is undignified enough to spit publicly on her own son.

But Nicholas verbally and physically tried to intrude a private domain while entrance was denied. Possibly disturbing the peace and the serenity around a death bed. I understood the Priest just had given the last sacraments (confession, absolution, receiving the Body of Christ, anointing and recommendation) to the dying King.

Maybe the King was overwhelmed with emotion, maybe felt the gravitas and the mystic and religiosity of the situation and wanted to rest, to sleep, to have peace. Then a grandson yelling and stomping and trying to intrude, hmmm, I don't know... It was possibly the worst possible moment Nicholas could have chosen to make a scène.

Last edited:
H.S.H Prince Albert reigns over Monaco without anyone making a fuss over his having 2 illegitimate children born prior to his marriage and subsequent heirs being born..

I agree with you, but don't forget, Albert of Monaco didn't acknowledge (publicly) his illegitimate children until after his father died. I had the impression when the stories broke that was done to avoid angering or upsetting Rainier.

Given the way Michael has spent much of his adult life working to restore and maintain his reputation, and the fact that Carol II's indiscretions forced five-year-old Michael onto the throne (and still resonate today), it's not hard to imagine why news about a possible illegitimate child from Nicholas could be so upsetting to the ailing old king. If certain people around him are amplifying the idea, that could explain why he is digging in so hard.

The situation with his grandfather seems very harsh for Nicholas, but in a way, it's understandable. (Why Nicholas' aunt and mother seem so set against him is another issue. That is curious...)

eager to discredit the royal house (and/or certain members).

The press will certainly 'make Hay' but essentially the family have brought this upon themselves.. no-one comes out of this affair creditably.. Not the grandson, not the second daughter, not the eldest daughter or her husband, and not the dying King himself...
It is a blessing that Queen Anne is not alive to witness this appalling mess.

Last edited:
By acting like this Elena might cause that she will never see her grandchildren Nicholas and Alina hopefully will have.

Reminds me of the situation with the dead German chancellor Kohl and his son and grandchildren last summer:cool:

By acting like this Elena might cause that she will never see her grandchildren Nicholas and Alina hopefully will have.

...but Nicholas could also lose his family for good, as well. As wyevale says, noone comes out unharmed - as public figures yes but as human beings, too.
They must all be under such emotional strain right now. I feel genuinely sorry for them all.

Queen Anne was there when her grandson was declared persona non grata, so she knew. Princess Margareta is "only" Nicholas' aunt but was só often seen with him, forming the core royal family, that the real Number Two, Nicholas' mother was overlooked. Many posters have pointed to Margareta as the evil genius, but as no other she has been together with Nicholas in the past years (remember that the King lives in Switzerland).

I have always wondered why no any word of support came from his mother or his sister after Nicholas' public demotion and the drastic actions by the King. But now it is actually clear that his own mother has turned her back to him. So the blaming game towards Margareta (who, without issue herself, had nothing to gain by out-manoeuvring Nicholas) needs to be reviewed. It is even possible that Princess Margareta, seeing the careful builded up imago tumbling down, tried to do a good word for Nicholas but was silenced by her father and Nicholas' own mother, who knows?

The Royal House's communiqué issued at the time of Nicholas' change in status stated:

"Păstrând aceeaşi afecţiune nepotului său, Regele Mihai nădăjduieşte că Nicolae va găsi, în anii viitori, un fel potrivit de a-şi servi idealurile şi de a folosi calităţile cu care Dumnezeu l-a înzestrat"

"Maintaining the same affection for his grandson, King Michael hopes that Nicholas will find, in the coming years, a suitable way to serve his ideals and to use the qualities with which God has endowed him, "

His Majesty clearly stated that his affection remains undiminished, so there are grounds for Nicholas to believe that the King drew a distinction between his private/emotional and public/"royal" relationship with his grandson. Nonetheless, the King's feelings about his grandson's continuing failure to face up to his responsibilities in the paternity case may have caused a hardening in his attitude since that time. One can understand such a reaction both in the context of the exemplary efforts of the King and other family members to demonstrate how a monarchy can serve Romania and in the nightmare of a legacy left by the King's father in the form of an illegitimate line of pretenders to the throne and the estate.

As a Christian, do you interpret "judge not that ye be not judged" to be an exhortation for Christians to "wonder" about their own souls rather than speculating about what's in the soul of others?
Well I am not perfect myself but I don't think it was judging on my part, just reminding one of the strongest belief in Catholisism.... to forgive the people who have offended you, especially at the end of your life....:flowers:

The King can also have forgiven Nicholas without any desire to meet him. So we don't know. Many of us will have forgiven people, including family, who have broken their promise, or in whom trust has been lost or because of abuse, crimes or misdemeanours. Nevertheless many of us will have no desire for contact. We simply do not know.

Last edited:
King Michael would have been a wonderful constitutional monarch.

He had the company of his mother, the Queen Mother Elena, during his darkest moments during the 1940s. Then the king was blessed to be joined with Queen Anne as his spouse right after he was forced to leave his country. Like many individuals, he flourished when he is given the support that is needed, because at his core he is a "good" person.

Sadly, due to the rigours of exile, the king and queen were caught up in the Moral Re-Armament Movement in the 1950s. This organisation, which Glenn Close also experienced due to her family's involvement, has been likened to a cult. It obviously had an effect on the upbringing of the five princesses.

In a way, the Romanian royal family were not ready to face the explosion of publicity and exposure that followed the 1989 Revolution. King Michael had a formidable aid in Queen Anne, but, by and large, the daughters did not have the same good fortune in finding supportive and well-intentioned consorts. The fruits of this are what is now being witnessed.

PS - As to the news outlet, Adevârul has been around since 1871...it now has a circulation of between 30k-50k persons.

Last edited:
King Michael would have been a wonderful constitutional monarch.

He had the company of his mother, the Queen Mother Elena, during his darkest moments during the 1940s. Then the king was blessed to be joined with Queen Anne as his spouse right after he was forced to leave his country. Like many individuals, he flourished when he is given the support that is needed, because at his core he is a "good" person.

Sadly, due to the rigours of exile, the king and queen were caught up in the Moral Re-Armament Movement in the 1950s. This organisation, which Glenn Close also experienced due to her family's involvement, has been likened to a cult. It obviously had an effect on the upbringing of the five princesses.

In a way, the Romanian royal family were not ready to face the explosion of publicity and exposure that followed the 1989 Revolution. King Michael had a formidable aid in Queen Anne, but, by and large, the daughters did not have the same good fortune in finding supportive and well-intentioned consorts. The fruits of this are what is now being witnessed.

PS - As to the news outlet, Adevârul has been around since 1871...it now has a circulation of between 30k-50k persons.

Thank you. It explains my impression: "They behave as members of a sect".
In modern Europe nobody cuts relations with grandson/son in such situation.

Last edited:
:previous:
Andrew, you're not the only person to hold these suspicions, I've read other's opinions on other Royal Boards and forums. I've read some persons who suspect Nicholas' "downfall", being stripped of his title, and being banished from the Royal Family are due to the actions of a certain individual who is not the King or any of his daughters, shall we say. It's also distressing that Nicholas' own mother has joined the family in disowning him and banishment, so to say.
The actions of the Royal Family in the last couple of years have certainly not helped their image and have given anti-Monarchists ammunition to press for their cause.

I am new to this discussion. Why was he stripped of his title and banished from the Royal family? Is there anywhere that I can read the whole story?

Nicholas seems very attached to his royal title and position. I hope that's not the main reason why he wanted to see or speak to the King in his last moments.

I certainly do not believe he was 'confused' as to why the King stripped him of his title. It sounds like everyone, in or out of the family, knew about the paternity thing. If he really wants to be back 'in favour' so desperately, then deal with the problem as the head of the family wishes, or forget about being the heir to a deposed King and get a normal job and move on with his life as a private citizen like everyone else.

The whole situation is just ugly and embarrassing.

Nicholas seems very attached to his royal title and position. I hope that's not the main reason why he wanted to see or speak to the King in his last moments.

I certainly do not believe he was 'confused' as to why the King stripped him of his title. It sounds like everyone, in or out of the family, knew about the paternity thing. If he really wants to be back 'in favour' so desperately, then deal with the problem as the head of the family wishes, or forget about being the heir to a deposed King and get a normal job and move on with his life as a private citizen like everyone else.

Have you ever had a grandparent die? Most normal people (which most on this board would agree Nicholas was born and raised as) would want to be able to spend a few moments with that person as they pass away. I know that was certainly the case for me when my grandfather died in 2009 after unexpected health complications.

You might want to do some further reading on this subject. Nicholas has moved on with his life. He lives in the UK now, after being in France (and some other European countries) for a period, and has obtained a position in that country. He is engaged and looking forward to starting a family of his own. He has a good relationship with his sister and step-father.

Is it really that hard to believe that he simply wants to see his grandfather? Nicholas did not have this chance with his own dad, who died out-of-the-blue from a heart attack in Switzerland at a fairly young age. He spent a good deal of time with his maternal grandparents when he was growing up, as his paternal grandparents were already dead. His desires are completely human.

Many wish him nothing but the best - even in this sad time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom