Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Royal daughters received a bad education, married communors , divorced etc...

The Princesses actually received a good education but -despite their immense ancestry- they came from a poor and impoverished royal family in exile. It seems monarchist supporters had to pay for their education.

Princess Margarita:
- boarding school for girls in Old Basing (Hampshire, UK)
- Lycée Français in Lausanne (Switzerland)
- University of Edinburgh (Scotland), reading sociology, politic sciences and international law

Princess Elena:
- École Maternelle in Switzerland
- Effingham House private girls prep and boarding school (Surrrey, UK)

Etc.

And tja... their marriages... when I say on these boards I prefer "proper" marriages like Philippe & Mathilde, Guillaume & Stéphanie, Georg Friedrich & Sophie, above the Letizias, the Máximas and the Mette-Marits, then I am slashed down as a fossil and a relict.

Last edited:
Is it a disadvantage to be divorced? Should the stay together when there is no base to live together? Should the marriage only exist on paper?

Is it a disadvantage to marry commoners? Royal-Commoner-marriages have gotten usual nowadays!

Wartenberg7, The Kings and Queens of the monarchies of Europa have a big country but they have no power, they are only parading but it is their prime minister who is governing Prince Albert has a tiny principality but he is governing and reigning ,he has more power than all these Queens or Kings who are called ' your Majesty' for the protocol and prince Albert is called ' Monseigneur' and princess Charlene is called ' votre Altesse Serinissime' Princess Caroline who is called ' votre Altesse Royale' is placed after her brother and her sister in law.

King Michel of Romania has perhaps a good pedigree but he is no more reigning, as we are saying in France, he is a king of Pacotille.

What is matter now is what you are doing in a country, a president of a republique who is a head of state, a prince who is governing and reigning as the prince of Monaco and the prince of Liechenstein and after the Kings or Queens who are reigning as Queen of England or king of Spain or queen of Denmark.

King Philipe of Belgium is very criticed because he was in Thalasso during the week end when the level of security was very high, but he could stay in France during this week end as the prime minister of Belgium said it, it was the governmant who was governing , taking all the décisions, he could not do a speech, the country did not need of him.

For the former king of Romania, he has no more power, Romania is a republic

The Royal daughters received a bad education, married communors , divorced etc...

The environment in which the five princesses were raised may have something to do with the current status quo. The King and Queen were not in the most ideal circumstances when they began their family. Michael and Anne did not have much in the way of financial resources, they ended up moving quite frequently in the first few years of their marriage and they had a difficult time finding "meaning" in their new roles.

Queen Anne explained this time of constant transition in Anne of Romania: A War, An Exile, A Life: “The wound of being cut off from our country [Romania] was harsh and deep, especially for my husband. That was why we kept changing towns and countries, moving from one house to another. We could not manage to settle permanently anywhere at first, because we were searching for ourselves, searching for a place and an identity; we were looking for a place with which we could feel in harmony...It took the King almost ten years to find himself again...Our first three daughters grew up with a father who was gentle, fair and loving, but very quiet, serious and sad. When Margarita, at the age of four, asked why her father was so sad and quiet, I told her he was upset because he had lost his country. Our children knew this right from the beginning, even if they had to grow up a little before they could understand the situation properly.”

Her Majesty further confessed: “Around the beginning of the 1950s, the King and I began to face up to the problem of our inability to adapt to the society around us...At that time, we were both very sad, and I had begun to be full of bitterness. My husband’s reaction was to close in on himself; mine was to become bitter. We began to go out less often than we had before, because we had no doubt that most of the time he was invited only for his name, and not for who he was himself. Organising a dinner around a king was just a way of making a good impression in society. And so we withdrew.”

During the beginning of their time in Switzerland, Michael and Anne, as well as their daughters, presumably, became involved with Frank Buchanan (who died in 1961) and an organization he had created known as the Moral Rearmament Movement, which was based in Caux, not far from the family’s home in Versoix. Through Frank Buchanan, Michael and Anne became close friends with the British tennis player Bunny Austin and his wife, the former Phyllis Konstam, who acted in several Hitchcock movies. The Queen remembered that Bunny and Phyllis saved she and the King from “a terrible loneliness,” and that the Romanian royal family’s experience of Moral Rearmament was that “it was an initiative which greatly enhanced us from a spiritual point of view.” This may all very well be true, and perhaps Moral Rearmament ultimately had a beneficial impact on King Michael, Queen Anne and their family.

However, actress Glenn Close, who was involved in Moral Rearmament as a result of the involvement of her father, Dr William Taliaferro Close, with the organization, had a different take on the movement. Recently Close disclosed what it was like to grow up at the MRA’s Swiss headquarters. Close referred to MRA as a cult, and of Frank Buchanan she had this to say: “I haven't made a study of groups like these, but in order to have something like this coalesce, you have to have a leader. You have to have a leader who has some sort of ability to bring people together, and that's interesting to me because my memory of the man who founded it was this wizened old man with little glasses and a hooked nose, in a wheelchair.” Glenn Close also recalled what life was like at the MRA headquarters: “They had a big hotel, a very glamorous, exclusive hotel called Mountain House, which I think is in one of Fitzgerald’s novels. [They] made it into one of their world headquarters, and we stayed there for two years...You basically weren't allowed to do anything, or you were made to feel guilty about any unnatural desire. If you talk to anybody who was in a group that basically dictates how you're supposed to live and what you're supposed to say and how you're supposed to feel, from the time you're 7 till the time you're 22, it has a profound impact on you. It's something you have to [consciously overcome] because all of your trigger points are [wrong]." Close’s disclosures into what she deemed a cult causes one to wonder exactly how positive was the involvement of the King and Queen of Romania with MRA, and what lasting effects this exposure to a controversial organization might have had on their family and personalities.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with power to classify who is more royal, otherwise Putin would be Tsar and Obama an Emperor.... The Mayor of Nice (7 x more inhabitants than the principality) has more power than the Prince. Let us remain realistic. Without supplies from Electricité de France, without the trains of the SNCF, without the assistance of the French Gendarmerie Navale, without the monetary system of the French banks, etc. the principality would come to a standstill. The position of Prince Albert is only accepted because his influence is minimal and his 5.000 real "subjects" are happy with him.

With other words: nice that they have some estates back but do these gain income -and if yes- is this not entirely needed for the upkeep of the estates?

Given that the family self-funds its activities in the public sphere, which are not infrequent, one could conclude that the income the family derives from its 20,000 hectares and other properties is in excess of what it costs to keep up their estates.

Duc and Pair, you forget that Russia and Usa are a republic and yes if Usa and Russia would be a monrchy, Putin and O Bama would be tsars and king of these countries but it is not the case, a bad answer from you. Monaco is independant since 1279 and we are in Europa and other countries depend from other countries for electricity or gaz or petrol, without these energy , the economies of these countrires would fail as Monaco, bad answer. don't compare the mayor of Nice to the prince of Monaco, there are élections in Nice every 5 years and the mayor of Nice is changing. the prince of Monaco is the prince sovereign for the life. Monaco is a very little principauty but it is rich, this principauty has a very good economy as the Liechenstein . Italia and the South of France are very happy to have Monaco near them because a lot of workers are working in Monaco, there are common projects for the building of the roads or there are common projects , and Monaco is paying a lot of money and it is not the towns of the South of France which are paying all these projects in common because they have no money. Monaco also receive old persons in their homes for old persons and also the children who have no more parents to look after them, or children in the children gardens and so... South of the France is depending of Monaco and not the contrary nowadays in this times of economic crise. the inhabitants of Monaco are 35000 and not 1000, bad answer Principauty of Monaco is tiny but a lot of countries would love to have a so good economy as Monaco.

At the XX century, we saw a lot of big monarchies who fell, as the empire of Austria with the Habsbourg, the empire of Russia with the Romano, the monarchies of Romania, Yougsalavia, Italia of Germania of Bulgaria and The little principauty of Monaco is still there with their prince and the family of Grimaldi.

Prince of Grimaldi have more power than other Kings or Queens of other monarchies, he can delet the national concil as prince Rainer did in 1959. the other Kings or Queens depend of their parlamiant , it is not the case of the prince of Monaco.

For Romania, I don't understand why prince Nicolas is no more the future head of the family, I think that the prince Radu is hoping to be the future head of the family because his wife is also ill. this man is ambitious
It was the same case with the family of Orléans, the former count of Paris made heirs his two grandsons , sons of the prince Henri . Prince Henri son of the former count of Paris left his wife and children and married again with a wife that his father wanted not to see. At the death of his father, prince Henry came back and was count of Paris, chief of the family of France.

A defense of the monarchy in Monaco is always a good thing, and it's good that a sovereign Prince who I'm sure is close to knowing most of his subjects in person is popular, but I suppose it's helpful if this thread returns to the issues surrounding King Michaels grandson, Mr. Medforth-Mills, whos removal from royal succession caused a slight stir in Romania earlier this year.
If the latest rumours are true, it would unfortunately explain the actions taken by the King. In no way do I defend them, as they strike me as just as silly, or overreacting, as most others, but the King is an old man, from an old world, and seen in the light of his own struggles with his own half-brother etc, he would probably fear this could cause damage further down the line with regards to royal succession. If the monarchy was to be restored with Nicholas as King, he would have an illegitimate child older than potential legal ones, and this is not easily dismissed in royal circles.
Could this had been handled differently without the expulsion of Nicholas? Yes. The fact that it wasn't, points to either the breaking of promises to his family with regards to children and family, or a possible lack of honesty after the fact.
In all fairness, we simply don't know if this latest rumour is correct, but it does fit with the language used by the King and his spokesperson after the expulsion, and with a certain royal pattern of worry for illegitimate children, both in Romania and in other current and former monarchies.

As for the Prince Radu hate-train, seriously, get off it. There is no evidence whatsoever to implicate sinister motives from neither the Crown Princess nor her husband in this difficult situation, and I can see no reasons why a childless couple in their 60s would hinder a proper succession in future generations, when their stated goal is the restoration of the monarchy in Romania.

Sometimes it's useful to break out of a cemented position and try to see people from different angles and perspectives. At the very least, it never hurts to try.

Last edited:
Can somebody explain for non Romanian people like me ? Thanks

If indeed he wrote Nicolae is understandable to feel so.

What you wrote is the first response we saw from Nicolae on that was made last August and showed clearly that it was something that was not consistent. I think that there will be continuity.
Having lost his title without it seems obvious cause can be returned to his country.
I think that remains popular with the Romanian people and should not lose that contact.

:previous:This really would be very interesting. If we could know his relations Nicolae have now with his uncles.

Especially with Crown Princess Margaretha and Prince Radu.

Last edited by a moderator:
We begin to understand what happened last summer. It is very sad for the prince Nicolas

Mr Medforth Mills did not lose his popularity among many royalists.

Has Nicholas Medforth-Mills stayed away from Romania following the revocation of his royal style and titles?

Realitatea Tv said Mr Nicholas Medforth Mills wrote on his Facebook :""A trecut un an greu şi profund nedrept, care mi-a răpit ţara şi m-a dus departe de voi, într-un exil pe care însă l-am acceptat."(A profound difficult and unjust year passed, an year that kidnap my country and brought me far away from you in an exile I accepted".)

Fostul principe Nicolae, mesaj trist de Anul Nou: "A trecut un an greu ÅŸi profund nedrept" | REALITATEA .NET
Thank you very much !

Has Nicholas Medforth-Mills stayed away from Romania following the revocation of his royal style and titles?

I suppose he has not visited the country since august.

He keeps his Facebook-page updated, in Romanian, and that is a strong signal in itself. It's clear that he has formed a bond with Romania, and whatever reasons lay behind the decision of the King last year, I am more and more sure will be worked through, so that Nicholas can return to Romania, and be part of its dynastic future.

I doubt he will return as part of their future, how ridiculous would it look for him to be given the title Prince and be promoted as the future then have it taken all away and be sent away in what is effectively an 'exile' only to then have him return.
Deposed Royal Families struggle for credibility at the best of times, that would destroy any credibility and future that the this RF has.

I would much prefer Nicholas to be the future of this RF but I can't see how now it would be helpful or possible.

Unfortunately, there is presedence in the Romanian RF for titles being revoked, and restored, as in the case of Princess Sophie. Although I completely agree that this whole thing is unfortunate, there are ways to reverse this decision without being too foolish, but it would most likely involve putting the blame for the original decision on a weak and unfounded basis, or on the King himself. Neither are very desireable, but in the end, the future of the RF is what matters, and I think it needs Nicholas in a visible position.

He keeps his Facebook-page updated, in Romanian, and that is a strong signal in itself. It's clear that he has formed a bond with Romania, and whatever reasons lay behind the decision of the King last year, I am more and more sure will be worked through, so that Nicholas can return to Romania, and be part of its dynastic future.

The guy only wished everyone a happy new year and that he is thinking about Romania and everybody at home. That is all. Reading dynastic aspirations in all this...

:whistling:

By the way, it seems that when Nicholas was still in the royal family, his FB was updated by someone else. No idea how this is at the moment. Could very well be written by that person indeed.

I doubt he will return as part of their future, how ridiculous would it look for him to be given the title Prince and be promoted as the future then have it taken all away and be sent away in what is effectively an 'exile' only to then have him return.
Deposed Royal Families struggle for credibility at the best of times, that would destroy any credibility and future that the this RF has.

I would much prefer Nicholas to be the future of this RF but I can't see how now it would be helpful or possible.

I agree... Nicholas Medforth-Mills, eh... I mean Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills, eh... I mean His Royal Highness Prince Nicolae of Romania, eh... I mean Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills eh... oh... is he restored?... eh... then I of course mean His Royal Highness Prince Nicolae of Romania again...

It is a circus without precedent there in Romania...

:ermm:

Mr Medforth Mills did not lose his popularity among many royalists.

I am curious to learn how you found out? Did you ask royalists? How did you find these royalists? How do you know the royalists you asked did represent "many royalists"? Mr Medforth-Mills has less than 5000 "friends" (are these the royalists you mean?) on FB, to compare it with Rihanna (86 million) or Cristiano Ronaldo (76 million)...

:flowers:

Last edited:
D and P if the queen Elizabeth of Great Britain would have a page of FB , she would get less friends than Rihanna or Cristiano Ronaldo, we are not a lot to admire the royals even Elizabeth of Britain, the people prefer to admire Brad Pitt, Rihanna or the Cristiano Ronaldo.

Of course but where are "the royalists" the previous poster wrote about? And how did he know they represent "many"? Just factual questions. Is it from the FB-page? The president of Romania has more followers. Is that enough to conclude anything?

My guess is that the average man in the street in Brasov, Timisoara or Cluj has no idea who Nicholas Medforth-Mills is...

The guy only wished everyone a happy new year and that he is thinking about Romania and everybody at home. That is all. Reading dynastic aspirations in all this...

:whistling:

Some of us want a future for the monarchy in Romania. That's the basis for positive attitudes.
Well, that, and the fact that it's just less tedious to be positive than the opposite.

I am curious to learn how you found out? Did you ask royalists? How did you find these royalists? How do you know the royalists you asked did represent "many royalists"? Mr Medforth-Mills has less than 5000 "friends" (are these the royalists you mean?) on FB, to compare it with Rihanna (86 million) or Cristiano Ronaldo (76 million)...

:flowers:

Obviously you do not know too many Romanian royalists.

I have been trying to keep up with this board since returning just two days ago -and unfortunately, I am not doing so great at it! Please assist my understanding as to the reasoning behind his "demotion". Has this ever been released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom