Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HSH Prince Alexander was born as Prince of Hohenzollern and needs no act of the Parliament to be recognized as such.
Nicholas De Roumania Medforth Mills was not born as a Prince.

Last edited:
legally there are no such things as princes in germany.
HSH Prince Alexander was born as Prince of Hohenzollern and needs no act of the Parliament to be recognized as such.

But he is recognized as a Prince by the public, the press and, it seems, the government, albeit unofficially. The fact that a government doesn't recognize a title does not take away a person's history or family or his connection to that history.

HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania (1985- )

But he is recognized as a Prince by the public, the press and, it seems, the government, albeit unofficially. The fact that a government doesn't recognize a title does not take away a person's history or family or his connection to that history.

My thoughts exactly, admiral.

Last edited:
How much Romanian blood has Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth Mills?His mother does not even speak R.omanian.

Sent from my GT-S6312 using The Royals Community mobile app

How much Romanian blood has Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth Mills?His mother does not even speak R.omanian.

I really hate when people ask a question which in reality is a statement!
What counts is that he´s a direct descendant of King Michael and obviously recognised by his grandfather and the royal family as a possible heir of the Crown Princess.
What´s further more important is how he´s received by the public and the media in Romania! There were many Kings in various countries in history by conquest or vote by the people who were no natives. Many of them had long and successful reigns!
So, "how much romanian blood" he has or his mother´s language skills are of no importance as long Nicolas and his work is accepted by those who count: The majority of the romanian people.

There is no doubt Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth-Mills is becoming more popular but this doesn't mean he is more Romanian than HSH Hereditary Prince Alexander of Hohenzollern.

Cory, one is not requires to speak the language of their blood lines. It is of course something expected or coon if he were raised in Romania -it is even likely he would have been born there, had his family not been exiled! HRH should not necessarily be required to speak Romanian if he was born and raised out side of Romania. Yes, his family is Romanian and one would assume he should, but the princes family was not only living in exile, but the countries born and lives in did not speak his mother tongue.

I am Croatian and born and raised in the US -to parents who were born and raised in Croatia -but, I don't speak my language either... Had I been born in my country, it is highly likely I would have been a fluent Croatian speaker. My family was more concerned that I could get along in the country I was born and raised in. Am I now learning my language? Yes! Do my parents regret that Croatian was not part of my upbringing? Absolutely! But, neither they, nor myself can do anything about that... I am starting now, and that is all that matters!

My point is -one does not need to be born somewhere to speak the language, nor do boarders negate ones ancestry or blood.

What is most important is that HRH is now working hard on his presence in his country AND learning the language, and ways of Romania. And... He's not doing too bad!

Cory, one is not requires to speak the language of their blood lines. It is of course something expected or coon if he were raised in Romania -it is even likely he would have been born there, had his family not been exiled! HRH should not necessarily be required to speak Romanian if he was born and raised out side of Romania. Yes, his family is Romanian and one would assume he should, but the princes family was not only living in exile, but the countries born and lives in did not speak his mother tongue.

I am Croatian and born and raised in the US -to parents who were born and raised in Croatia -but, I don't speak my language either... Had I been born in my country, it is highly likely I would have been a fluent Croatian speaker. My family was more concerned that I could get along in the country I was born and raised in. Am I now learning my language? Yes! Do my parents regret that Croatian was not part of my upbringing? Absolutely! But, neither they, nor myself can do anything about that... I am starting now, and that is all that matters!

My point is -one does not need to be born somewhere to speak the language, nor do boarders negate ones ancestry or blood.

What is most important is that HRH is now working hard on his presence in his country AND learning the language, and ways of Romania. And... He's not doing too bad!

I agree 100% with you.

In my opinion, it's double standards to call Hereditary Prince Alexander a Prince and Prince Nicolae Mr. Nicholas Medforth-Mills. The King grant him the title of Prince, and such a decision must be respected.

And monarchis shouldn't care about what a republican government says about titles. Tradition and respect a much more important. Brazil is not a Monarchy for more than a 100 years now, but no one would dare to call The Head of the Imperial House Mr. Luiz de Orleans e Bragança. Not in a million of years!

People always call him Prince Luiz, most often with his full style of His Imperial and Royal Highness. Even the Government, which normally doesn't call him Prince, call him using the prefix Dom.

HM the King gave titles to his son in law and to his grandson wanting to change the Line of Succession of the Constitution of 1923. The reality is that only the Parliament can change the Line of Succession and recognize these titles. Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth-Mills was not born as a Prince like HSH Prince Alexander of Hohenzollern and, according to the Constitution of 1923 (never legally abolished), he can have no title while HSH Prince Alexander could inherit the Throne.

Cory, it was you who announced in this forum back in 2011 that King Michael had severed ties with the Hohenzollerns - a step which you said confirmed the desires of King Ferdinand and was a natural consequence of World War I. You also gave your opinion that the decision would surely be supported by most Romanians. Your sudden and unexplained switch in views is very odd indeed, especially now that you are actually espousing the succession of the princely Hohenzollerns to the Headship of the Romanian Royal House.

The fact that HM the King had two decisions regarding the Hohenzollerns and the Line of Succession are well known and I just announced what the Sovereign did. The same King recognized in 2007 that only the Parliament can have the last word on Succession (and implicitly on new titles given by the Sovereign). I consider we have to respect the constitutional issues even if it is obvious people do not really know HSH Prince Alexander of Hohenzollern or his father in Romania but start to know Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth Mills.

You did not just announce the decisions of the King; you also made it clear by the tone of your messages at the time that you were in favour of what he was doing. There was no mention of respecting constitutional issues when you were referring to Princess Margareta as the Crown Princess, Radu Duda as Prince Radu of Romania and Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills as Prince Nicolae of Romania. For some reason you have retroactively changed your views, which is of course your right, but it would be interesting to know why you suddenly place such a heavy importance on respecting the Constitution of 1923 that you would countenance considering the thoroughly German Furst of Hohenzollern and his son as possible candidates in the most unlikely event of a monarchical restoration in Romania.

The restoration of Monarchy is very possible and quite wanted especially by the youth. I personally think Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth-Mills could be a good King but I have to respect the constitutional issues too. In the case of the Restoration we will see what the Pariament decides.

What counts is that he´s a direct descendant of King Michael and obviously recognised by his grandfather and the royal family as a possible heir of the Crown Princess.
What´s further more important is how he´s received by the public and the media in Romania! There were many Kings in various countries in history by conquest or vote by the people who were no natives. Many of them had long and successful reigns!
So, "how much romanian blood" he has or his mother´s language skills are of no importance as long Nicolas and his work is accepted by those who count: The majority of the romanian people.

This is true, many foreign born monarchs have served their adopted peoples well. Not to mention the fact that most of the Royal families of Europe, with the possible exceptions of Montenegro and Serbia, are related in some way. Furthermore the Prince was raised in exile, as was his mother, so while it would have behooved the family to teach the children and grandchildren Romanian, they didn't. But he is learning Romanian, traveling the country, and doing a good job for a young man who was not raised with the expectation of "wearing the purple" like Prince William or Princess Victoria. He is the direct descendant of three Romanian Kings, Carol I, Carol II and Michael, how much more Romanian can he get?

His grandfather was overthrown by the USSR with the approval of the US and UK. If King Michael had not been stabbed in the back by the allies, the only issue today would be getting Parliament to allow young Nicolae to assume the throne by altering the succession laws.

A good king with a foreign accent beats a native speaker like Ceauşescu.

Admiral Horthy;16667He is the direct descendant of three Romanian Kings said:
though it is ferdinand not carol I that nicholas is descended from, this to me is the most pertinant point. Nicholas is a member and descendant of afamily that has ruled in the country. A descendant of the last reigning king. The furst hohenzollen has no connection with the country at all.

HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania (1985- )

This is true, many foreign born monarchs have served their adopted peoples well. Not to mention the fact that most of the Royal families of Europe, with the possible exceptions of Montenegro and Serbia, are related in some way. Furthermore the Prince was raised in exile, as was his mother, so while it would have behooved the family to teach the children and grandchildren Romanian, they didn't. But he is learning Romanian, traveling the country, and doing a good job for a young man who was not raised with the expectation of "wearing the purple" like Prince William or Princess Victoria. He is the direct descendant of three Romanian Kings, Carol I, Carol II and Michael, how much more Romanian can he get?
The Royal family of Serbia is in fact closely related to the Romanian royal family through Crown Prince Alexander's grandmother Maria who was born a Romanian princess and was King Michael's aunt. Adding to that CPA's great grandmother was a montenegrin princess so both houses are closely related. Other montenegrin princesses married into the houses of Romanov and Savoy.

Last edited:

Well said! This is what I have tried to get across in some of my posts, too!

Couldn't agree more!

The Romanians will never accept a King that does noet speak a perfect Romanian and does not really understand the country.

The Romanians will never accept a King that does noet speak a perfect Romanian and does not really understand the country.

Then I guess it is too bad for Prince Alexander, and or his father, Karl-Frederik.

Then I guess it is too bad for Prince Alexander, and or his father, Karl-Frederik.

Ahem, I was wondering that myself! I have to say that having read the last few posts, it did make me wonder what interest Prince Alexander has shown towards Romania and whether he has taken any interest in the country that he may have a claim to the throne of?

Ahem, I was wondering that myself! I have to say that having read the last few posts, it did make me wonder what interest Prince Alexander has shown towards Romania and whether he has taken any interest in the country that he may have a claim to the throne of?

As far as I know, he and his father have show no interest in Romania and in the restoration of the Monarchy. But if Romania become a Monarchy again and one of them show off saying "Hey, I'm the King", I'll see as a clear sign of opportunism.

On the other hand, Crown Princess Margareta and Prince Nicolae - the "illegitimate pretenders" - are showing they really care about Romania and are willing to serve the country.

I have faith that the Romanian people can make a good judgement and will know who truly deserves to be their Queen or King.

As far as I know, he and his father have show no interest in Romania and in the restoration of the Monarchy.
Prince Karl Friedrich actually has declared pretty clearly that he isn't interested at all in Romania and in the Romanian succession.

Prince Karl Friedrich actually has declared pretty clearly that he isn't interested at all in Romania and in the Romanian succession.

Well, if that is the case there is not much else to say really.
King Michael being a) fully aware that the 1923 constitution has been defunct for decades and would clearly not be re-instated in the event of a change to monarchy, b) and aware that Prince Karl Friedrich is not interested in a role in Romania and c) being free to do what he likes regarding succession rules and titles within his own family, has simply paved the way so that in the event circumstances present themselves for Romania to become a monarchy there is a functioning royal family and heirs in place ready to to take on the role.
It's all quite simple really.
With regard to Prince Nicolae's title, it makes sense for King Michael to provide a royal title to the generation of his grandson.

The King has never said he considered the Constitution of 1923 as abolished and the sovereign underlined only the Parliament can decide the Line of Succession even if the Sovereign hoped the Line proposed in 2007 would be accepted by the Parliament.
We have no idea how HH Prince Karl will react when HM the King won't be among us anymore.

We have no idea how HH Prince Karl will react when HM the King won't be among us anymore.

There are only two ways in what he can react: as honorable man who keeps his word or as an opportunist who seeks personal gain.

This is not a thread dedicated to the Succession to the Romanian Throne and about the two possible Lines of Successsion but a thread about Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth-Mills.

lol, well it says HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania for this thread, but as a compromise I would suggest Nicolae al Romaniei as per His Royal Highness's signature ;-)

In all the documents he is Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth-Mills and his personal Facebook page has the same name.

In all the documents he is Nicholas De Roumanie Medforth-Mills and his personal Facebook page has the same name.

You are aware that typically royals who have personal Facebook pages do not use their titles, but their a variant of their name / house name? Perhaps because they do not make their friends call them Prince or Princess, as it is their personal Facebook account. What he calls himself on his personal Facebook page does not matter when speaking of his public title.

The fact is, Nicholas is Prince Nicolae of Romania. The King made that possible in 2007.

If, by your belief and logic, Prince Nicolae cannot use the title of Prince, then neither can the Hohenzollerns you claim are the 'heirs' of Romania according to a constitution which has been superseded by five constitutions since. Karl Friedrich and Alexander were born well after titles and monarchies were abolished in Germany, so therefore their titles have no legal standing. They are merely just a courtesy.

But that ruins your theory, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom