Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills: Discussion, Succession, Paternity Claims

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are biting in your own tail.
The daughters of the late King Michael are no successors in your opinion.
Therefore Nicholas is no successor either.

That makes the positions of Nicholas and Cristiano exactly the same:

- Cristiano is no successor to the former royal throne of Portugal
- Nicholas is no succcessor to the former royal throne of Romania

To be a member of the King's Family is very important even without dynastic rights. Republicans don't understand such things.

To be a member of the King's Family is very important even without dynastic rights. Republicans don't understand such things.

It's important to those in it, but why it should be important to those who spend their energy denying their rights and position, is beyond me.

Ah, i'm not the only one.... :lol:

I sometimes get the feeling i'm seeing reruns though ;)

Me too :D Grab a cup of tea and sit back and relax whilst you're at it!
I must say though, these same old discussions that are going round in spirals are getting quite exhausting to read from the point of view of someone who aims to use these threads to gain more knowledge on the topic. Couldn't those who wish to consistently talk about the same opinions do so via PM?

In his last interview in Romanian to the magazine "Formula AS", Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills said he did his best to clarify the claims regarding paternity but his proposals were not really accepted. He can't do probably more than that.

If the mother of his alleged child has clear conscience, she shouldn't refuse to do a genetic test.

If the mother of his alleged child has clear conscience, she shouldn't refuse to do a genetic test.

Biri, in the interests of fairness, Nicholas refused the proposals of the child's mother, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Nicholas only tells his side of the story.

Biri, in the interests of fairness, Nicholas refused the proposals of the child's mother, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Nicholas only tells his side of the story.

He did not refuse to have an ADN test at all and he is the only one who wants to clarify this story.

I reiterate: He refused the proposals of the child's mother.

Alina Maria and princess Elia at the Musée & Jardins Van Buuren in Brussels. Photos from Alina Maria's Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155465710041220&set=pcb.10155465710161220&type=3&theater

EDIT: Alina Maria changed today her name at her Instagram and Facebook from Alina Maria Binder to Alina Maria de Roumanie.

Her husband's surname is Medforth-Mills or De Roumanie Medforth-Mills. He is no Prince of Romania anymore. If Alina is wise, I would act more careful with assumed surnames c.q. territorial designations.

Her husband should stress organisators that he is not HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania. Not only is he disobeying his late grandfather's wishes, he is also provocative towards the Royal House with allowing the use of this style and... when, once, he is Chef, his wishes can equally be ignored by members of his House, as he himself has given the best example. One reaps what one has sown.

Last edited:
I applaud Alina-Maria for finally dropping her maiden name! Great choice!

Seeing the photos from may, 10th I get the impression the young couple wants to install a rivalry second "court" besides Margharitas...!

Her husband's surname is Medforth-Mills or De Roumanie Medforth-Mills. He is no Prince of Romania anymore. If Alina is wise, I would act more careful with assumed surnames c.q. territorial designations.

Her husband should stress organisators that he is not HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania. Not only is he disobeying his late grandfather's wishes, he is also provocative towards the Royal House with allowing the use of this style and... when, once, he is Chef, his wishes can equally be ignored by members of his House, as he himself has given the best example. One reaps what one has sown.

Crown Prince Leka of the Albanians titled the couple as Nicholas and Alina of Romania ("de Roumanie"). This was actually the preferred surname of Princess Helen's children after her divorce...if one would read recent genealogical books by authors who were in contact with the Romanian Royal Family then one would be cognisant of this fact. So, Princess Helen's son is merely following her lead, which was presumably also supported by her father, King Michael.

Nicholas has been received by other family members as HRH Prince Nicholas of Romania. Not all of them would appear to recognise the actions of HM Margareta and HRH Prince Radu in this affair.

Crown Prince Leka of the Albanians titled the couple as Nicholas and Alina of Romania ("de Roumanie"). This was actually the preferred surname of Princess Helen's children after her divorce...if one would read recent genealogical books by authors who were in contact with the Romanian Royal Family then one would be cognisant of this fact. So, Princess Helen's son is merely following her lead, which was presumably also supported by her father, King Michael.

Nicholas has been received by other family members as HRH Prince Nicholas of Romania. Not all of them would appear to recognise the actions of HM Margareta and HRH Prince Radu in this affair.

My advice to Nicholas would be: do nothing provocative, do not set up a rival court, show a spotless parcours, show that aunt Margareta can have all trust in him and reinstate all what his grandfather took off him. But apparently you have another idea about that. No problem. Not my advice, but everyone is his/her own (best or poor) adviser.

My advice to Nicholas would be: do nothing provocative, do not set up a rival court, show a spotless parcours, show that aunt Margareta can have all trust in him and reinstate all what his grandfather took off him. But apparently you have another idea about that. No problem. Not my advice, but everyone is his/her own (best or poor) adviser.
Aunt Margareta will not reinstate Nicholas in his position. It is impossible to tell what must happen for her to do do.

Aunt Margareta will not reinstate Nicholas in his position. It is impossible to tell what must happen for her to do do.

How do you know that his aunt (or her successor, Nicholas' mother) will not reinstate him?

..a few questions...

It has taken a couple of weeks for me to go through this thread and the previous one and a few questions pop up to my mind, with all respect to everyone, including the subject of this topic:

1) Budget: Nicholas De Roumanie and his wife's travels, activities, participation to events cost money I suppose. Where do these resources come from?
I remember NDR's public statements after being removed from the Royal House mentioning a small salary given to support his move and setup of a new life out of Romania.
He wrote that such small salary was cancelled at some point and that his relationship with his family is not as good. I understand that he used to work for a living. His shall be a high salary and part-time (or remote?) job to allow him and his wife carry out all the above.
Which job is that? Does his wife work? Did he inherit from any deceased family member? Or does he have a sponsor and, if so, who?

2) If the couple moves to Romania, what are they going to do for a living? Is it easy to find a well paid and time-flexible job in Romania? I have never been there.

3) Civil marriage in UK to be followed by religious marriage in Romania: does the couple live together in the meantime? What is the position of the Orthodox Church on this subject? Is it accepted? A Royal Family is involved, after all….

I would be grateful for your thoughts :flowers::flowers:

It has taken a couple of weeks for me to go through this thread and the previous one and a few questions pop up to my mind, with all respect to everyone, including the subject of this topic:

1) Budget: Nicholas De Roumanie and his wife's travels, activities, participation to events cost money I suppose. Where do these resources come from?
I remember NDR's public statements after being removed from the Royal House mentioning a small salary given to support his move and setup of a new life out of Romania.
He wrote that such small salary was cancelled at some point and that his relationship with his family is not as good. I understand that he used to work for a living. His shall be a high salary and part-time (or remote?) job to allow him and his wife carry out all the above.
Which job is that? Does his wife work? Did he inherit from any deceased family member? Or does he have a sponsor and, if so, who?

2) If the couple moves to Romania, what are they going to do for a living? Is it easy to find a well paid and time-flexible job in Romania? I have never been there.

3) Civil marriage in UK to be followed by religious marriage in Romania: does the couple live together in the meantime? What is the position of the Orthodox Church on this subject? Is it accepted? A Royal Family is involved, after all….

I would be grateful for your thoughts :flowers::flowers:

1) No idea. Only the couple would know that. Nicholas did receive an inheritance from his father. Plus, he has formed many contacts over the years, throughout Europe.

2) Nicholas and Alina already reside in Bucharest.

3) The couple have been invited many times to religious services in Orthodox churches throughout Romania since their civil marriage.

I really think one needs to be a little more fair when it comes to the issue of titles and surnames, and not be so precious about it. Nicholas has, as Benjamin says, long preferred the surname (and geographical indication therein) of de Roumanie over his fathers surname Medforth-Mills, and for him to use it onwards, should not be held against him as someone aiming above their current station. Whether or not he is an heir to the currently defunct Romanian throne, he is now the most senior male relative of the late King and a full member of the Romanian Royal Family. If anyone should use the de Roumanie name, it would naturally be members of the RRF.

Often times, frankly almost always, he is referred to in Romanian broadcasts and at functions, as prince Nicholas still. As the title was withdrawn by the King in 2015, this is technically wrong, but seeing as American presidents (and of course, many, many others:) ) still refer to Queen Elizabeth II as Queen of England and believe it to be correct, I suppose one can see where sometimes things go wrong. I don't think it's fair to expect Nicholas to go around and correct everyone all the time, and draw attention to a decision the late King made without ever being able to explain it in a way most people could understand. Instead, one moves on.
Nicholas himself doesn't use the princely title, and so he behaves correctly and in accordance with his grandfathers wish.

I really don't think the Custodian or any other member spends any energy feeling irritation or frustration over what title Nicholas is given by a news report, and I certainly hope they see all positive attention towards him or any other member of the RRF as a plus for the family as a whole, and the cause of monarchy itself.
Clearly the Custodian knows that at some point the family will have to set out a line of succession that look beyond the current generation of 5 sisters, and that the most likely option in the next family line, is Nicholas. There is however, no rush to establish this, but the focus should continue to be on building up the profile of the family, and hopefully, steadily, find a way to reconcile, step by step, and show all Romanians that the monarchy will again be a far better solution for them than the semi-republican-monarchical hybrid they see today.

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to expect Nicholas to go around and correct everyone all the time, and draw attention to a decision the late King made without ever being able to explain it in a way most people could understand. Instead, one moves on.
Nicholas himself doesn't use the princely title, and so he behaves correctly and in accordance with his grandfathers wish.

I really don't think the Custodian or any other member spends any energy feeling irritation or frustration over what title Nicholas is given by a news report, and I certainly hope they see all positive attention towards him or any other member of the RRF as a plus for the family as a whole, and the cause of monarchy itself.

Can anyone confirm if the Facebook profile as per below is Nicolae's official and right one?
https://www.facebook.com/nicolaealromaniei/

In his bio on FB he does not mention having lost his position in the RF.
If this profile is his actual one, he has chosen to present himself publicly as an heir to the Romanian throne. His choice, not others'...

"..... On 30 December 2007 Nicholas' maternal grandfather, King Michael of Romania, announced for Nicholas, the title Prince of Romania with the style of "Royal Highness", which came into effect on Nicholas' 25th birthday, 1 April 2010. By virtue of his new title, he has become a member of the Romanian Royal Family.
On the same occasion, King Michael, citing EU legislation and the values of the Romanian society, signed a new Statute of the Royal House, called Fundamental Rules of the Royal Family of Romania, apparently to entail his heritage and that of his predecessors, and also in an attempt to replace the 1884 Statute. By this new statute, there is a new line of succession to the defunct throne of Romania, in which Nicholas is in the third place, after his aunt and mother. Whilst otherwise, according to the last democratically enacted royal Constitution of Romania, dated 1923, which was based on Salic law, Nicholas would be barred from the throne. On the same occasion, King Michael also asked the Romanian Parliament that, should it consider restoring the monarchy, it should also abolish the salic law of succession.
According to the new Statute, Nicholas became a member of the Royal Family, part of the broader Royal House, on 1 April 2010. He is a dynast and a member of the Romanian Royal House. As Nicholas' aunt, Crown Princess Margareta of Romania is childless, it is most likely that upon the deaths of his grandfather, aunt, and mother, Nicholas would succeed as the future Head of the Romanian Royal House.
According to designations of King Michael, the Headship of the Royal House entails governance over the foundations of the family, tenure of the estates and residences of the House, as well as sovereignty over the House orders of chivalry, among other things.
As a descendant of the Electress Sophia of Hanover, he is also 90th in the line of succession to the British Throne.
On 29 February 2008, Nicholas Medforth-Mills declared in an interview with the Romanian daily newspaper Cotidianul that if the Romanian people asked him to become a King, he wouldn't refuse."

Can anyone confirm if the Facebook profile as per below is Nicolae's official and right one?
https://www.facebook.com/nicolaealromaniei/

Yes, that is Nicholas' public Facebook profile. It was originally created when he joined the royal family. He has been able to maintain control of it - even though one imagines it was initially created by someone in the family's office.

Like other members of the royal family, he also has a private Facebook account. Much like his aunt, Mia, who used to have her own separate public account [...it has since been merged with the Royal Family's umbrella account], as well as her private one.

Here is an interesting article about the quarrel between Nicolae and his aunt Margareta.

The Royal Wedding, boycotted by the Royal Family. Why?
At the article there is among other things:
The quarrel between Nicolae and Margareta would seem to be older than many supporters of the Crown expect. In 1993-1994, Alexander Paleologu, Neagu Djuvara and other intellectuals have urged the king to let the young man (Nicolae) to study in Romania. Margareta opposed.
Discord seems to have been occasioned by the triumphant visit in April 1992, the organizer of that event, unique in majesty and divine grace, Petre Mihai Bacanu, recommended that king Mihai is accompanied by Nicolae and not Princess Margareta, which he considered too grasping.
Process Aubonne continues. Her Majesty Margareta has not withdrawn her legal complaint after the king's grandson tried to see his grandfather on his sickbed. Recently a new hearing has been held.
Nunta regală, boicotată de Familia Regală. Motivul_ _ Romania Libera

Of course but I see it as more detailed here

From Nicolae's interview in swiss L’Illustré about taking the prince title away from him:
“I have never received a credible explanation from my family. The decision was taken while I was on holiday in Croatia, I was summoned to Bucharest and I was summoned to the office where my grandfather was forced to abdicate in 1947, by my aunt, my uncle and a cabinet member. I received a copy of the decision without any further explanation. I never saw the original document and I could not speak to my grandfather until the end of his life. I was shocked", said Nicolae in L’Illustré magazine.
Fostul principe Nicolae, noi dezvăluiri despre excluderea sa de la tron_ „Am fost șocat” - Stirileprotv.ro

This shows once more how cold [...] they truely are...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicholas posted on Facebook:

În urma insistențelor mele de a face testul privind stabilirea paternității presupusului meu copil, doamna Nicoleta Cîrjan a acceptat realizarea acestuia. Rezultatul a fost pozitiv, reiesind ca sunt tatăl copilului ei. Având în vedere contextul în care acest copil a venit pe lume, faptul că nu am avut o relație cu mama acestuia, mi-am asumat responsabilitatea legala fața de acesta. Din rațiuni care țin de protejarea intereselor superioare ale copilului, consider ca orice aspect legat de viata acestuia este de natura strict privata. Din dorința expresa de a proteja copilul și pentru a nu-l supune niciunui risc mediatic sau de bullying am decis să incetez orice alte comentarii pe marginea acestui subiect.

Google translates as follows:

As a result of my insistence on the test of establishing the paternity of my alleged child, Ms. Nicoleta Cîrjan accepted this achievement. The result was positive, saying I am her child's father. Given the context in which this child came to the world, the fact that I did not have a relationship with my mother, I assumed legal responsibility for it. For reasons of protecting the best interests of the child, I consider that any aspect related to her life is of a strictly private nature. From the express wish to protect the child and not subject it to any media risk or bullying, I decided to stop any further comments on this subject.

Nicholas posted on Facebook:

În urma insistențelor mele de a face testul privind stabilirea paternității presupusului meu copil, doamna Nicoleta Cîrjan a acceptat realizarea acestuia. Rezultatul a fost pozitiv, reiesind ca sunt tatăl copilului ei. Având în vedere contextul în care acest copil a venit pe lume, faptul că nu am avut o relație cu mama acestuia, mi-am asumat responsabilitatea legala fața de acesta. Din rațiuni care țin de protejarea intereselor superioare ale copilului, consider ca orice aspect legat de viata acestuia este de natura strict privata. Din dorința expresa de a proteja copilul și pentru a nu-l supune niciunui risc mediatic sau de bullying am decis să incetez orice alte comentarii pe marginea acestui subiect.

Google translates as follows:

As a result of my insistence on the test of establishing the paternity of my alleged child, Ms. Nicoleta Cîrjan accepted this achievement. The result was positive, saying I am her child's father. Given the context in which this child came to the world, the fact that I did not have a relationship with my mother, I assumed legal responsibility for it. For reasons of protecting the best interests of the child, I consider that any aspect related to her life is of a strictly private nature. From the express wish to protect the child and not subject it to any media risk or bullying, I decided to stop any further comments on this subject.

Hardly the first prince to have an illegitimate child. Is it reasonable to strip him of his title and place in the line of succession because of that ?

Hardly the first prince to have an illegitimate child. Is it reasonable to strip him of his title and place in the line of succession because of that ?

Or because of not taking his paternal responsibilities? Remains a guess.

No, it was not a reasonable decision.

Until they restore Nicholas to his place, the RRF has no future. Karina supports her brother, and their cousin Elisabeta is not interested. The Custodian needs to take care of the Crown and guarantee that it will be looked after.

Back
Top Bottom