Margareta, Custodian of the Crown & Prince Radu News & Events 3: Jan 2018 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Custody of the crown" in Romania.

Margareta has the title of Guardian of the Crown.

If Margareta of Romania is custody of the Crown why is Margareta title " her majesty", is it not HRH princess Margareta of Romania, after all Romania is a republic with a president as a head of state.

From the moment her father died she has been styled as 'Her Majesty' (taking over her father's position as head of the family) and 'Custodian of the Crown' but has never been styled queen. It seems to be their own invention - as they clearly wanted to accentuate her new position without taking the title of queen.

princess Margarita of Romania

From the moment her father died she has been styled as 'Her Majesty' (taking over her father's position as head of the family) and 'Custodian of the Crown' but has never been styled queen. It seems to be their own invention - as they clearly wanted to accentuate her new position without taking the title of queen.

I read biographies of king Michael of Romania & his family, his eldest daughter, princess Margarita could take responsibilities from her father, the late king (custodian of the crown), but princess Margareta has never been officially installed as queen of Romania, after all Romania is still a republic.

Personalities from economy, finance and banking representing Romanian companies were received at Peles Castle by Her Majesty Margareta and Prince Radu on 5 October

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/intalnire-cu-personalitati-economice-la-castelul-peles/

This year, the Veterans Relay, now in its 9th edition, takes place from Wednesday, October 5th to Tuesday, October 25th. On 6 October , at the entrance to the city of Breaza, Her Majesty Margareta and Prince Radu welcomed the relay on the second day of running, on the route Ploiesti - Brașov.

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/stafeta-veteranilor-2022/

Mr. Alberto Rodriguez Goñi, Ambassador of Uruguay in Romania was received today at the Elisabeta Palace by Her Majesty Margareta

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/ambasadorul-din-uruguay-la-palatul-elisabeta/

On 7 October an online meeting of the Steering Committee of the National Red Cross Society was held. Her Majesty Margareta presided over the meeting.

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal...de-directie-al-crucii-rosii-7-octombrie-2022/

Last edited by a moderator:
If Margareta of Romania is custody of the Crown why is Margareta title " her majesty", is it not HRH princess Margareta of Romania, after all Romania is a republic with a president as a head of state.

While Romania is a republic, its government and parliament have granted the former reigning family an official position and address them by royal titles.

Without that recognition, Margareta would never have been an official princess, either: Romania had become a republic before her birth, and Princess is as much a royal title as Queen.

As matters stand, "Princess" is incorrect, as it is neither Margareta's official title nor a title which she claims or uses (since the death of her father).

As far as the house laws are concerned, she ceased to be a Princess and became a Queen upon the death of her father, though she chooses to use the style of Custodian to the Crown:

2) The Head of the Royal House of Romania, by all common practice and convention, is de jure or de facto Sovereign in terms of their authority over the Royal House of Romania, at any time. Immediately upon the death of the Head of the Royal House of Romania, without further proclamation, the Heir Apparent or Heir Presumptive, whichever shall be living and first in the line to the succession at that moment in time, shall from that moment assume the rank or style King or Queen, regardless of the Family's position as a reigning or non-reigning Dynasty and regardless of the fact that they may or may not later choose against the use of such style or designation.​

https://coronanachrichten.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/p0002_fundamentalrules.pdf

Last edited:
While Romania is a republic, its government and parliament have granted the former reigning family an official position and address them by royal titles.

Without that recognition, Margareta would never have been an official princess, either: Romania had become a republic before her birth, and Princess is as much a royal title as Queen.

As matters stand, "Princess" is incorrect, as it is neither Margareta's official title nor a title which she claims or uses (since the death of her father).

As far as the house laws are concerned, she ceased to be a Princess and became a Queen upon the death of her father, though she chooses to use the style of Custodian to the Crown:

2) The Head of the Royal House of Romania, by all common practice and convention, is de jure or de facto Sovereign in terms of their authority over the Royal House of Romania, at any time. Immediately upon the death of the Head of the Royal House of Romania, without further proclamation, the Heir Apparent or Heir Presumptive, whichever shall be living and first in the line to the succession at that moment in time, shall from that moment assume the rank or style King or Queen, regardless of the Family's position as a reigning or non-reigning Dynasty and regardless of the fact that they may or may not later choose against the use of such style or designation.​

https://coronanachrichten.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/p0002_fundamentalrules.pdf

Some royal websites call Margareta, princess and some call her queen and I remember when queen Margareta was invited at a European special royal occasion, Margareta was referred on the guestlist as princess Margareta & prince Radu of Romania, anyway I except your explanation.

On the day of her father's death she issued a statement as "Custodian". If you look back at some of the threads from that time IIRC there were even Romanian media sources claiming that she would be officially acknowledged as Queen by the government, albeit in their current quasi/semi official role not by a return to reigning. If she's given a style it's more often than not "Her Majesty Margareta COTC".

I do think it is impressive that they have carved out an agreement with the republican government to have a semi-official role. It is interesting to see that not only does she greet foreign ambassadors but holds official audiences with military brass and government officials.

Margareta of Romania

On the day of her father's death she issued a statement as "Custodian". If you look back at some of the threads from that time IIRC there were even Romanian media sources claiming that she would be officially acknowledged as Queen by the government, albeit in their current quasi/semi official role not by a return to reigning. If she's given a style it's more often than not "Her Majesty Margareta COTC".

I do think it is impressive that they have carved out an agreement with the republican government to have a semi-official role. It is interesting to see that not only does she greet foreign ambassadors but holds official audiences with military brass and government officials.

It is a strange setup, but that is the way it is, thanks!

On 8 October, the closing gala of the eighteenth edition of the Bucharest International Film Festival took place at the Auditorium Hall in the Royal Palace (Calea Victoriei). The gala was attended by Prince Radu, who granted the High Patronage to the festival in 2010.

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/gala-de-incheiere-a-biff-2022/

At the Anglican Church in Bucharest, built in 1913, during the reign of King Charles I, a memorial service and a tribute to the life of Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and Northern Ireland took place on Sunday, 9 October.
On behalf of Her Majesty Margareta, Prince Radu took part in the service.

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/slujba-de-pomenire-a-reginei-elisabeta-a-ii-a/

On Sunday, 9 October , at the Ilie Oană Stadium in Ploiești, the anniversary match was played between the football teams Royal Romania and Royal Serbia, in honor of the match 100 years ago, which took place in Belgrade between the National Team of the Kingdom of Romania and the National Team of the Kingdom of Serbia, Croats and Slovenes.
The match took place in the presence of Prince Radu

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal...mul-meci-international-de-fotbal-al-romaniei/

It was not Maragreta's own choices but set up by her late father in his "Fundamental Rules for the Royal House of Romania"

About the title "Custodian of the Crown" :

1. My eldest daughter, The Princess
Margareta, is to be my successor and
Head of the Royal House of Romania,
after my death.

If the Romanian Nation
and Parliament were to decide to
reinstate the Monarchy as the form of
government, I ask the Parliament to cease
to implement the Salic-law as the form
of succession, which does not correspond
either to the elementary rights in Europe
today, or to the values of Romanian
society.

Until these events should come
about, The Princess Margareta will
remain, after my death, Head of the Royal
House of Romania and Custodian of the
Romanian Crown.

About the style of "Her Majesty" :

2) The Head of the Royal House of Romania, by all common
practice and convention, is de jure or de facto Sovereign in
terms of their authority over the Royal House of Romania, at
any time.

Immediately upon the death of the Head of the Royal
House of Romania, without further proclamation, the Heir
Apparent or Heir Presumptive, whichever shall be living and
first in the line to the succession at that moment in time, shall
from that moment assume the rank or style King or Queen,
regardless of the Family's position as a reigning or non-reigning
Dynasty and regardless of the fact that they may or may not
later choose against the use of such style or designation.

The Princess Margareta has assumed the traditional form of address for a Queen ("Her Majesty Margareta" or "Her Majesty The Custodian of the Romanian Crown") but omits the title of Queen as long as the monarchy has not been reinstated.

It was not Maragreta's own choices but set up by her late father in his "Fundamental Rules for the Royal House of Romania"

About the title "Custodian of the Crown" :

1. My eldest daughter, The Princess
Margareta, is to be my successor and
Head of the Royal House of Romania,
after my death.

If the Romanian Nation
and Parliament were to decide to
reinstate the Monarchy as the form of
government, I ask the Parliament to cease
to implement the Salic-law as the form
of succession, which does not correspond
either to the elementary rights in Europe
today, or to the values of Romanian
society.

Until these events should come
about, The Princess Margareta will
remain, after my death, Head of the Royal
House of Romania and Custodian of the
Romanian Crown.

About the style of "Her Majesty" :

2) The Head of the Royal House of Romania, by all common
practice and convention, is de jure or de facto Sovereign in
terms of their authority over the Royal House of Romania, at
any time.

Immediately upon the death of the Head of the Royal
House of Romania, without further proclamation, the Heir
Apparent or Heir Presumptive, whichever shall be living and
first in the line to the succession at that moment in time, shall
from that moment assume the rank or style King or Queen,
regardless of the Family's position as a reigning or non-reigning
Dynasty and regardless of the fact that they may or may not
later choose against the use of such style or designation.

The Princess Margareta has assumed the traditional form of address for a Queen ("Her Majesty Margareta" or "Her Majesty The Custodian of the Romanian Crown") but omits the title of Queen as long as the monarchy has not been reinstated.

first i think it is likley that she was involved in making this Fundamental rules and if not she could have changed them after the death of her father as head of house.

first i think it is likley that she was involved in making this Fundamental rules and if not she could have changed them after the death of her father as head of house.

Yes, The Princess Margareta can change the Fundamental Rules but it is understandable that - as these Fundamental Rules are relatively new - she let the document untouched until an eventual later date. Otherwise: what does 'Fundamental' mean as the rules are changed again 10 years later?

King Michael already has put in some brake for too young and too enthusiast changes:

The Head of the Royal House of Romania shall in any case
not have any power to amend, alter or interpret the provisions
of this Statute until he or she has reached the thirtieth
anniversary.

And once again using the word Custodian:

The Head of the Royal House of Romania is King Michael
I of Romania and thereafter those persons who subsequently
succeed His Majesty according to Annex 1 and the terms and
provisions of this Statute. The Head of the Royal House of
Romania will act as the Head of the Royal House, the President
of the Royal Foundations and is the Custodian of the Crown of
Romania

It was nice to see the Prince at the Memorial Service for the late queen.

World champion swimmer David Popovici and his colleagues were received at Elisabeta Palace today 10 October by Her Majesty Margareta and Prince Radu.
Representatives of the Romanian Swimming and Modern Pentathlon Federation were in attendance

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/tinerii-campioni-de-natatie-la-palatul-elisabeta/

In Cluj (Western Romania), Her Majesty Margareta and the Prince Radu, together with The Earl of Wessex and Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg opened the Gala of the 14th International Forum of The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award on 11 October

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/vizita-regala-la-cluj-napoca-11-octombrie-2022/

In the name of The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Romania, Her Majesty Margareta (Patron) welcomes the participants in the 14th International Forum organized in Cluj (Western Romania)

On the second day of her visit to Cluj on 12 October, Her Majesty Margareta received the title of Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/vizita-regala-la-cluj-napoca-12-octombrie-2022/

Prince Radu visited (..)the Maltese Kindergarten in Cluj-Napoca, an institution dedicated, for 29 years, to children with neuromotor disabilities, offering them both therapy and schooling.

Her Majesty Margareta (Patron) and Prince Radu continueso on the third day of their visit to Cluj-Napoca on 13 October

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/vizita-regala-la-cluj-napoca-13-octombrie-2022/

At Elisabeta Palace , Her Majesty Margareta with Prince Radu received today 24 October the ambassador of Moldova, Mr Victor Chirilă.

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/primire-la-palatul-elisabeta-24-octombrie-2022/

As every year, on the birthday of King Mihai on 25 October, in the Throne Room of the Royal Palace in Bucharest, institutions, organizations and personalities from Romania, the Republic of Moldova and abroad were honored by Her majesty Margareta in the presence of Prince Radu

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/investituri-regale-la-sala-tronului-25-octombrie-2022/

In the presence of Her Majesty Margareta and Prince Radu on 31 October, the National Bank of Romania issued a 31-gram gold coin to celebrate the Centenary of the Coronation of King Ferdinand I and Queen Marie in Alba Iulia.

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/banca-nationala-a-romaniei-omagiaza-centenarul-incoronarii/

The Speaker of the Parliament of Moldova was received today 1st November at Elisabeta Palace by Her Majesty Margareta

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal...ui-republicii-moldova-la-palatul-elisabeta-2/

Last edited:
Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, and Prince Radu arrived in Rome today, November 6, for a visit to Italy and the Vatican:

** Pic **

I was reading news and articles on her situation and the dispute with her cousins. They still insist if the throne is restored by Parliament, it's them, the Hohenzollern men, and not Margareta nor any other female who should be crowned. Now I see why her dad, the last King of Rumania, changed the succession, the surnames and asked the government his daughter is the one in charge after his passing.
She is doing great according to the news, representing the government in her unusual status.

She is doing great according to the news, representing the government in her unusual status.
I concur and of all the non reigning Houses,the Crown Princess has the very best situation.

The Parliament should just go ahead and restore the monarchy, she seems to them extremely important for public relations and, like the Windsors, change the dynasty name for real into a Romanian historical name.

Last edited:
Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, and Prince Radu were received by Pope Francis at the Vatican today, November 10:

** anp gallery **

Note: She's dressed in black, attire for meeting the Pope is non-Catholic royals dress in black and Catholic royals can dress in white as sign of respect to his Holiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom