King Michael's Younger Daughters: Elena, Irina, Sofia & Maria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Maria yesterday visited the "Carol I" University Central Library in Bucharest.

Principesa Maria, la Biblioteca Centrală Universitară „Carol I” | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Also yesterday Princess Maria took part in the opening ceremony of the third edition of the Embassy Festival ONE World in Bucharest.

Principesa Maria, la Festivalul Ambasadelor ONE World 2017 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Yesterday September 14 Princess Maria visited the St. Irina Palliative Care Center in Voluntari, Ilfov County.

Principesa Maria, vizită la Centrul de îngrijiri paliative „Sfânta Irina” | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Princess Maria on September 25 visited the village of Piscu, from the village of Ciolpani, Ilfov County.

Principesa Maria, vizită în satul Piscu | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

On September 26 visited Children's Day Care Centers "Little Prince" and "Lizuca" of the General Department for Social Assistance and Child Protection (DGASPC), District 3.

Principesa Maria, la centrele de zi pentru copii “Micul PrinÈ›” È™i “Lizuca” | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

And September 27 Princess Maria visited the towns of Calarasi and Slobozia.

Principesa Maria, vizită la Călăraşi şi Slobozia | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Last edited by a moderator:
On Wednesday 11 October Princess Maria paid a working visit to the National Agency for Equal Opportunities for Women and Men in Buchare

Principesa Maria, la Agenția Națională pentru Egalitatea de Șanse | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

On 14-15 October , Princess Maria was on a public visit to the municipalities of Alba Iulia and Cluj-Napoca.
On Sunday, October 15, Princess Maria took part in the organized public events in Alba Iulia on the occasion of the 95th anniversary of the crowning of King Ferdinand I and Queen Maria.

Principesa Maria, vizită la Alba Iulia şi Cluj-Napoca | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

OnTuesday, October 17, Princess Maria paid a visit to the Horia Hulubei National Institute for Development of Physics and Nuclear Engineering in Magurele, Ilfov County.

Principesa Maria, la Institutul de Fizică și Inginerie Nucleară | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Looks like princess Maria deserves to have her own topic; she is far more active than her sisters (except for the crown princess) :flowers:

:previous: I Know!!

Happy 60th Birthday to Princess!!

"Today, Sunday, October 29, 2017, His Royal Highness Princess Sofia of Romania celebrates the beautiful age of 60 years. The Royal Family and the whole House of His Majesty wish her many happy years!"

Principesa Sofia, 60 de ani | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Today 31 October ,Princess Maria visited the social canteen and St. John's House at the Caritas Association in Bucharest

Principesa Maria, vizită la Asociaţia Caritas din Bucureşti | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Today November 1, Princess Maria participated at the Parliament Palace at the plenary session of the International Conference of Women Francophone, held this year in Bucharest.

Principesa Maria, la Conferința Internaţională a Femeilor Francofone | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Princess Maria represented, today, the Romanian Crown Custodians at the ceremony of commemorating the British soldiers fallen in the First and Second World Wars
Like every year, the religious and military ceremony took place at the British Military Cemetery in Tancabesti.

Ziua aducerii aminte, 12 noiembrie 2017 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

On Monday, November 13, Princess Maria visited the exhibition "The Royal Family of Romania on the Front of the Great War (1916-1918)" at the Cotroceni National Museum.

Principesa Maria, vizită la Muzeul Național Cotroceni | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

On November 20, at the National Theater in Bucharest, Princess Maria represented Crown Princess Margareta at the Gala Tinere Talente Gala, 2017 edition.

On this occasion, Princess Maria handed over the Young Talented Diplomas to the artists of the Crown Princess Margareta of Romania Foundation for artistic performances in the field of fine arts and classical music.

Gala Tinere Talente 2017 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Beautiful photos of the Savarsin castle park taken these days from Princess Sofia

Săvârșin trist | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

On the evening of November 29, in a private ceremony at Elisabeta Palace, CP Margareta giving Princess Sofia the Great Cross of the Order of the Crown of Romania on the occasion of her 60th birthday

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ANG3456.jpg
https://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ANG3477.jpg

Princess Maria's shorter hairstyle really does show off just how much she looks like her grandmother Queen Helen. It's quite uncanny!

The pictures are a little weird. Nice gesture but it seems a bit off.

Have the other sisters been awarded the same order and if so, what was the occasion?
Irina probably not, what about Elena and Maria?

I assume CP acted as a representative of her father the official Grandmaster of the Order - or is this considered part of all the duties taken on as Custodian of the Crown?

Apparently, there is a limit of 25 holders at any given time - and prince Lorenz of Belgium and princess Muna al-Hoessein (mother of king Abdullah) are two of the current holders.

The pictures are a little weird. Nice gesture but it seems a bit off.

Have the other sisters been awarded the same order and if so, what was the occasion?
Irina probably not, what about Elena and Maria?

I assume CP acted as a representative of her father the official Grandmaster of the Order - or is this considered part of all the duties taken on as Custodian of the Crown?

Apparently, there is a limit of 25 holders at any given time - and prince Lorenz of Belgium and princess Muna al-Hoessein (mother of king Abdullah) are two of the current holders.

The former State Order was revived in 2011 as a Dynastic Order.
2011 Grand Cross King Michael
2011 Grand Cross Queen Ana
2011 Grand Cross Princess Margareta
2011 Grand Cross Prince Radu
2013 Grand Cross Princess Elena
2014 Grand Cross Princess Maria
2017 Grand Cross Princess Sofia

Link: Ordinului Coroana României

The former State Order was revived in 2011 as a Dynastic Order.
2011 Grand Cross King Michael
2011 Grand Cross Queen Ana
2011 Grand Cross Princess Margareta
2011 Grand Cross Prince Radu
2013 Grand Cross Princess Elena
2014 Grand Cross Princess Maria
2017 Grand Cross Princess Sofia

Link: Ordinului Coroana României

Thanks! Looks like the number has also been increased to 50 in total (for grand cross).

And Elena's husband got his order, but a lower degree (Commander), in the same year as his wife.

Last edited:
Thanks! Looks like the number has also been increased to 50 in total (for grand cross).

And Elena's husband got his order, but a lower degree (Commander), in the same year as his wife.

In my understanding there are only 10 wearers of the Grand-Cross:

Anul 2011
1. MS Regele Mihai al Romaniei
2. MS Regina Ana a Romaniei (passed away)
3. ASR Principesa Mostenitoare Margareta a Romaniei
4. ASR Principele Radu al Romaniei

Anul 2013
5. ASR Principesa Elena a Romaniei

Anul 2014
6. ASR Principesa Maria a Romaniei
7. Președintele Lech Wallesa al Poloniei

Anul 2015
8. Presedintele Vytautas Landsbergis al Lituaniei
9. ASR Principele Lorenz al Belgiei

Anul 2016
10. ASR Principesa Muna al-Hussein a Iordaniei

Anul 2017
11. ASR Principesa Sofia a Romaniei

The others are Commander (21), Officer (27) and Knight/Dame (48).

Yes indeed, the 50 refers to the maximum number. The maximum was 25 and has been increased to 50. The grand master of the order passed away today.

HRH Princess Irina, Mrs Walker, is visiting Romania after many years. Very sad occasion.

I am glad that she has come but wonder why she didn't attend her mother's funeral.

It was a different context probably.

I am glad that she has come but wonder why she didn't attend her mother's funeral.

I am also glad that she has been able to come, for her and for the rest of the family. At the time of her mother's funeral, there were possibly obstacles to her leaving the US following her conviction.

Thanks, that makes sense. It must be hard not to be able to visit your aging parents nor attend their funeral (even though it was because of her own actions).

All the 5 Princesses were very close to their parents.

In the above video of the arrival of King Mihai's body in Romania see at 12:10 to 13:15 Princess Elena and her family who accompanied the casket on the plane arrive, deplane and greet their sister Margareta: Kiss and curtsey to the new head of the family, but not even a nod or handshake to Radu...

HRH Princess Sofia came with Princess Elena,Mrs Nixon, from Switzerland. They both greeted their eldest sister being all very emotional.

Last edited:
Princess Sofia did not join her sisters for the Orthodox Divine Liturgy at Savarsin parish church on the 26th of December.

These photographs are hauntingly beautiful and were taken in a private moment when Princess Sofia took a walk around the gardens/estate of Săvârșin. On her FaceBook page she writes:

On my walk 2 days ago, I shot these images from the heart, for my father, for his love of Săvârșin, and for my love for him. A quiet walk in remembrance, my way of saying thank you to him, of saying I love him, of saying I won't forget him, a way of sharing photography that he always enjoyed so much, my profession that will always keep me close to him no matter what.

Any known reason for not attending the memorial for her father in the Orthodox church of Savarsin yesterday?

I can't imagine, Cory - it could be any number of reasons, she caught a cold or wanted to spend time on her own?

Any known reason for not attending the memorial for her father in the Orthodox church of Savarsin yesterday?

Because she had other plans? Like staying at home and read a good book?

During the special Memorial for her father in the church?All her sisters attended this Divine Liturgy and Memorial.

I believe it was the Christmas service they attended, which takes place on the first or second day of Christmas rather than it being specifically a memorial service for the late King. If the days are correct, it appears Princess Sofia preferred to stay at the Palace for her remembrance walk privately to think about her late father.

Last edited:
I believe it was the Christmas service they attended, which takes place on the first or second day of Christmas rather than it being specifically a memorial service for the late King. If the days are correct, it appears Princess Sofia preferred to stay at the Palace for her remembrance walk privately to think about her late father.

It was a Divine Liturgy with a Special Memorial for the late King and an Orthodox Archbishop came from Arad to preside it:

That horrible story. I can't believe I read this. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom