King Michael's Younger Daughters: Elena, Irina, Sofia & Maria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or does Princess Maria look so much like the Crown Princess Margareta in some pictures that it's almost uncanny?

The resemblance is indeed amazing. Interestingly, Margarita is Marie's godmother.

It is worth noting that both Princesses underwent rather fascinating "transformations" (i.e. makeovers) before becoming a part of public life, especially Princess Marie. Crown Princess Margarita's changes were more gradual since she has always been more visible in Romania.

To be fair: Princess Elena was also invisible when her own son got a more and more prominent role in the Royal House. One would easily forget that not Margareta but she was Nicholas' mother and standing higher in the michaelist line of succession. So you can hint about the Princess not being seen anymore because of her son's removal but she simply has been practically invisible for years anyway.

A very fair comment. What follows is pure speculation but given the Queen their mother's state of health, maybe the daughters are trying to share their "family" and "public" responsibilities. We know that all of them - bar Irina - have very recently been in Switzerland. Following Nicholas' departure, it may be that Margareta and Maria are focussing on the Romania side of things, being more "career princesses" and Elena and Sofia are focussing on the Switzerland side of things. Let us not forget that Elena and Sofia are also mothers, with family responsibilities of their own. Travelling between their own homes, their parents' home in Switzerland and Romania is quite a lot.

Clearly the family is going through a tough time - the Queen, Irina, Nicholas...- and it would be nice if the unrelenting sniping and criticism from certain quarters could be tempered with a little human compassion.

To be fair: Princess Elena was also invisible when her own son got a more and more prominent role in the Royal House. One would easily forget that not Margareta but she was Nicholas' mother and standing higher in the michaelist line of succession. So you can hint about the Princess not being seen anymore because of her son's removal but she simply has been practically invisible for years anyway.

Princess Helen was by no means "invisible" in the past. One only has to look through the photo-blog of the Royal Family to see the instances where she has been in Romania in the past years. Helen has been less seen than Margarita for obvious reasons.

A very fair comment. What follows is pure speculation but given the Queen their mother's state of health, maybe the daughters are trying to share their "family" and "public" responsibilities. We know that all of them - bar Irina - have very recently been in Switzerland. Following Nicholas' departure, it may be that Margareta and Maria are focussing on the Romania side of things, being more "career princesses" and Elena and Sofia are focussing on the Switzerland side of things. Let us not forget that Elena and Sofia are also mothers, with family responsibilities of their own. Travelling between their own homes, their parents' home in Switzerland and Romania is quite a lot.

Clearly the family is going through a tough time - the Queen, Irina, Nicholas...- and it would be nice if the unrelenting sniping and criticism from certain quarters could be tempered with a little human compassion.

A very fair summation of the status quo, and it underscores the need to look at any situation that arises, maybe especially those in royal families, whom by nature are very visible, with a little compassion and understanding. The state of the Queens health is probably at the forefront of her 5 daughters minds, and it seems a logical and sensible sharing of tasks to me. Princesses Margareta and Maria are doing the job of the Royal Family in Romania, while the Queen is seen more by her other daughters, who indeed also have their own families to tend to. It is easier in the end to do the job in Romania when one does not have own families to worry about. In the end, it's quite within royal precedent for Royal Houses across Europe to split tasks and share burdens, as to who does visible tasks and who does not, when there are health or family crisis within the Royal Family itself.

I agree with you on it. Especially the years Nicolae was in Romania do not remember I saw Princess Elena least publicly. I only remember the sister of the Karina think that was Christmas. Surely now they have many things to consider but even when her son was in Romania this was invisible.

Last edited:
Princess Helen was by no means "invisible" in the past. One only has to look through the photo-blog of the Royal Family to see the instances where she has been in Romania in the past years. Helen has been less seen than Margarita for obvious reasons.

We, as loyal readers of the Royal Forums, are more than interested in royal families. So we may say we all are more aware about the activities of the members of the royal families. I have to dug deep, very deep, in my memory to recall public events done by the Number Two of the michaelist line of succession. If even we, experienced royal watchers, have to work hard to memorize public engagements of the Princess, how is that for the average man or woman in the street?

In the years that her son Nicholas was a rising star in the royal family, still she was (and is) his mother and ranking before him, we seldom or never saw her. It was always Margareta-Radu-Nicholas, then it was Nicholas-Radu-Margareta, then it was Radu-Margareta-Nicholas. Even with important events Princess Elena was hardly visible.

What is the point of all this? Another tool in the endless and tedious campaign by some to bad mouth the king and his (grand)children?

Speculating about the perceived absence of the princess may be fun for some, or it may suit the ill-spirited agenda of others. But in the end it is just speculation. There can be a multitude of reasons for the princess perceived absence, but unless somebody will ask the princess we most likely will never know the reason. Since princess Helen is a private citizen she has no obligation at all to share her agenda with the rest of the world.

Note that there are many, many 2nd in-lines of other non-reigning houses that we see as little or even less as princess Helen.

A general remark about this and other threads in the Romanian forum:

It is disappointing that the some take the liberty to fabricate all sorts of ill-spirited theories and hints with such fervor and relish. That is certainly not in the spirit of this forum and a large part of our membership and the moderation team is growing increasingly weary of the constant stream of 'hints', 'suggestions', 'questions' and snipes that just serve this specific agenda.

To disagree with King Mihai's succession change is certainly allowed. However, to use this disagreement as a corner stone of ill-spirited remarks, hints and suggestions that need to expressed at each and every opportunity is something else. Posts that give the impression that they are only posted to suit this personal agenda will be deleted. Regard this message as a notification of these possible deletions.

Last edited:
I believe that because Princess Maria is an active member of the royal family and takes part in many events maybe we should have separate thread for her and not included with the other sisters of the same.

Princess Maria visited Ploiesti on 18th November. She brought food parcels and school supplies to families who live in very difficult social conditions.
Families are taken care by Concordia humanitarian organization, princess Maria is the patron of the organization.
Principesa Maria, vizită în cartierul Mimiu, Ploiești _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation

Princess Maria visited the day care center for underprivileged children of St. Dimitrie Foundation on 25th November.
Principesa Maria a vizitat Fundaţia Sfântul Dimitrie _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very important to see how Princess Elena will relate to the future of her Family. Will she support the decisions made by her Family last august or she will support anyway her son?

Has the King ever met his great-grandson and his two great-grandaughters?

I think yes. It's a great blessing to see one's grandchildren, not everyone is so lucky to meet third generation of his/her descendants.

The site of the Royal Family did not even mentioned their birth and they were not even included in the proposed line even befire the riblems of their grandmother. So...

The site of the Royal Family did not even mentioned their birth and they were not even included in the proposed line even befire the riblems of their grandmother. So...

I hope you realize that the King is first and foremost a father, grandfather and now great-grandfather, and it would be nice if not every aspect of his life was searched for a fresh angle of attack.

It's nice to see that the Royal Family expands, and that Princess Maria has taken up more responsibility in Romania lately. It's a good comfort for the King, now that His Majesty is undergoing very serious health struggles.

We are speaking about the great-granchildren of the King.

First great-grandchild has meet the King but non of the others.

2009 Angelica with her daughter and husband went with Michael to meet their grandparents.

No news of this meeting appeared on the sites of the Family. Wonderful meeting anyway.

The American descendants of the King are private people.

It was probably their wish that such a meeting not be publicized.

Both Michael and Angelica Kreuger were until recently on the list of succession proposed by the King.

The King was the one that tried to keep as united as possible his Family.

After the exclusion of three granchildren I do not know how the relationships will be.

I'm sure if the royal family was more family oriented then the family would be closer.

King Michael's Younger Daughters: Elena, Irina, Sofia & Maria

From what I understand, Queen Anne was also rather instrumental in trying to maintain a united front, especially in regards to Princess Sophie and her daughter.

Yes unfortunately the daughters didn't get along for many years. Just sad that it made the grandchildren so distant. Hopefully the family will find away to keep together for the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom