King Michael's Health & Transfer of Duties

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sad. But I wish him all the best!

Last edited:
I found a Google translate of the announcement and then tweaked it a little myself:

In recent weeks, I received news of a serious medical diagnosis. This comes in the year when family and country are celebrating 150 years since the founding of the dynasty and modern Romanian state.

I’m sure my daughter Margaret, custodian of the Crown, will find the wisdom and strength to represent me and to accomplish all my public duties.

I asked the Royal Council to continue its mission and provide advice Custodian of the Crown.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Romania’s King Michael has passed to his daughter, Princess Margareta, the responsibility to represent Romania’s Royal House after he was diagnosed with cancer.
King Michael, 94, had a meeting with the Royal Council on Wednesday, March 2, at his residence in Morges, Switzerland, informing them of his decision. The Royal Council will continue to serve the Crown Custodian, Princess Margareta.
“In the past few weeks I have been informed of a serious medical diagnosis. This comes in a year when the Family and the Country celebrate 150 years since the Dynasty and the modern Romanian State were founded. I am sure that my daughter, Margareta, the Crown Custodian, will find the wisdom and strength to represent me and to carry out all my public duties,” reads a statement signed by King Michael.
Romania’s King Michael withdraws from public life, asks his daughter to represent the crown

Glad that Michael was able to return to Romania after the fall of the communist dictatorship to visit his native country. God Bless him and his family.

This announcement may explain why at least three of the five Princesses went to visit their parents in Switzerland over the past year.

Hopefully the King receives the best treatment possible.

This announcement may explain why at least three of the five Princesses went to visit their parents in Switzerland over the past year.

Was also thinking that and I also wish His Majesty the very best.

Sad news!! I hope all the best to the King with all the family with him and wisdom to Crown Princess Margarita!!

In the romanian announcement I have read is said the King has metastasis leukemia.
Is bad, very bad

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

In these moments all those that are Romanians and all those that respect the Romanian King could do one important thing: pray for the health of the Sovereign. May the Lod protect him and bring him back in good health.

She will represent the King's Family in the future but this does not has any other consequences.

We o not know if the thrird suster and her descendants visired the King lately.

Let's hope the 5 grandchildren and the three great-granchildren of the King will visit him too these days.

Not to allow to see his grandchildren and great-grandchildren would be cruel and hope that will not happen.

Taking into account the King's health I wonder if the events dedicated to the 10th of May should be organized or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The media here in the Netherlands write that the King has abdicated because of cancer. No news here?

The media here in the Netherlands write that the King has abdicated because of cancer. No news here?

The King cannot abdicate as he does not reign, but he has transferred his duties and effective control of the Royal House to his heir, Crown Princess Margareta, who, if Romania was a monarchy today, would be Crown Princess Regent, just like CP Haakon was in Norway during his fathers cancer treatments.

When you take into account the Kings advanced age, and the Queens poor health, this is very likely to be a permanent transfer of tasks, and one the Crown Princess is ready to assume.

Meanwhile, I pray the King comes through this ordeal and is given years still to support his daughter, and the cause of the monarchy in Romania.

[...]

The King cannot abdicate as he does not reign, but he has transferred his duties and effective control of the Royal House to his heir, Crown Princess Margareta, who, if Romania was a monarchy today, would be Crown Princess Regent [...].

[...]

That is a statement you can not make hard. Princess Margareta was never in line of succession until King Michael privately changed the rules in 2007. Maybe she would have been the Heiress today. Maybe not. The Romanians have not been asked.

By the way: in yesterday's statement the terms "Crown Princess" or "Heir" were avoided. Only the term Custodele Coroanei (Custodian of the Crown) was used. A custodian can be any individual and not necessarily the actual Heir.

An example: in 1936 the Duke of San Jaime, the most senior Borbón agnate, appointed the Duke of Parma as "Custodian" which was -of course- (and wrongly) interpreted as being the Heir to the throne of Spain. The real Heir was King Alfonso XIII of Spain. No one, except the Bourbon-Parmas themselves, took it for granted that being a custodian was the same as being the Heir.

Last edited:
That is a statement you can not make hard. Princess Margareta was never in line of succession until King Michael privately changed the rules in 2007. Maybe she would have been the Heiress today. Maybe not. The Romanians have not been asked.

By the way: in yesterday's statement the terms "Crown Princess" or "Heir" were avoided. Only the term Custodele Coroanei (Custodian of the Crown) was used. A custodian can be any individual and not necessarily the actual Heir.

An example: in 1936 the Duke of San Jaime, the most senior Borbón agnate, appointed the Duke of Parma as "Custodian" which was -of course- (and wrongly) interpreted as being the Heir to the throne of Spain. The real Heir was King Alfonso XIII of Spain. No one, except the Bourbon-Parmas themselves, took it for granted that being a custodian
was the same as being the Heir.

She is only representing her father during his ilness too. In the Romanian royalust tradition there is no such thing like " Custodian of the Crown".

ASR Principesa Moștenitoare Margareta
The King uses the term Custodian of the Crown, which he previously has instituted as his designation for his eldest daughter, to succeed him in preserving and promoting the monarchy and the family. To explain that term to those who might be confused by it, it's effectively an heir. He simply referred to her as Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, probably to highlight and lay focus on the fact that it's her job now to preserve and promote. Yes, a Custodian doesn't have to be an heir. In this case, as an eldest daughter, designated Principesa Mostenitoare and Custodian, it actually is. That is irrelevant of a monarchical restoration and succession, she still succeeds her father in the Royal Family.

As a sidenote, people are not generally asked about changes to succession. It's a matter for politicians in conjunction with reigning Royal Families to decide. In Romania, they will be asked in effect only because if and when a monarchy is restarted, they will have to vote on accepting the monarch-designate and an updated line of succession. Had it been continuously reigning, they would not, as they haven't been concerning female succession in any other European monarchy.

https://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblognl_news_summary/2016/03/romania.html

“The King always thought of his country, especially during hisn years of exile. Now the country has a duty to think about its King”, the former Prince Nicolae wrote in a touching tribute to his grandfather. “Good health, Your Majesty!" he added.

Having made the announcement this period I'm afraid things are quite serious for the King.

Besides Romania and switzerland is not so far away!

Agree! The royal couple is impossible to travel to their country as perhaps wanted especially now with the condition of the king!

The following bulletin was released by the Royal Family of Romania today:

Buletin de sănătate a Regelui Mihai I, 4 martie 2016 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

This is not an exact translation but it basically says the following:

That King Michael has been in hospital for the last five days in Lausanne and for reasons of respect for the suffering of the king, the clinic's name will not be made known.

That the King is in a state of increased physical weakness and receives continuous treatment, although his condition is currently stable.

That Princess Margarita and Prince Radu are staying in Switzerland and see King Michael and Queen Anne every day.

That the King and Queen's other daughters will travel to Switzerland in the coming days to see their parents. They are also in daily contact with the family and watch with sadness and hope with regard to the health of their father.

Thanks have been extended to all those who have sent generous messages of encouragement to King Michael and Queen Anne. The Royal Family is moved by the depth of people's feelings towards the King and the Crown and the decency and respect with which the media is covering these events.

There is no need to keep track and take census on who is able to visit and not. The King is undergoing intense treatment and is going through what must be a very hard time, and I hope and pray he gets both the rest and support he needs, without excessive and undue stress.

I'm sure as long as his grandchildren from Irina are allowed to visit they will. I know the king has meet his first great-grand child but so far no others.

A source close to the Royal House has told Cancan that King Michael was diagnosed with cancer last year, which is why he did not have any public appearances in 2015; it was only recently that doctors discovered that the disease had metastasized.

His Majesty is being given painkillers and nutrients intravenously, he cannot walk without assistance, and, at times, he has to be put on oxygen.

The medical professionals do not think it likely that the King's life can continue in this way for more than a month.

Veste șocantă, de ultimă oră, despre starea de sănătate a Regelui Mihai: “Medicii spun că nu va mai trăi mai mult de…”

If this is true why it has not been announced earlier?

If this is true why it has not been announced earlier?

Maybe it was thought the King could have been cured of the initial illness last year so he did not wish for an announcement to be made. Now that it seems his illness may not be curable, it is appropriate to announce the current situation.

It is nothing very clear unfortunately.

The news are from four days ago, while the latest communiqué from the Royal House (issued two days ago) said Their Majesties' daughters were all going to travel to Switzerland on the next days. For all we know, Princess Maria and her sisters maybe be with her parents right now.

Certainly the 5 sisters and their descendants are really needed in Switzerland in this situation.

This is extremely sad. Is there a way to send a sympathy card or something so that the King will actually receive it?

King Michael is a saint and all that he has done for freedom and well-being of others in the world is amazing. He should be celebrated--while he is living--as one of the true heroes of the 20th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom