Ferdinand I (1865-1927) and Marie of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1875-1938)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it was the right decision of the king. Bran Castle is no longer owned by the royal family may be sold to anyone. Of course we can not know the future of Pelisor Castle but this time seems to be the right move.

I think that the decisions to members of the royal family are taken from the head of the house in our case the King Mihai. Now if the grandchildren of Queen Marie agree with it or not I do not think that they can do anything. Whether attending the event will have to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ceremony "The Return of the Queen's Heart" started today at 11.00 at the Victoria Road in front of the National Museum of Romanian History.
The ceremony was attended by representatives of the Romanian and Moldovan authorities, members of the Diplomatic Corps, and from the army.
His Majesty the King was represented by HRH Crown Princess. HRH prince Radu and HRH princess Maria were present and family members of Princess Ileana, youngest daughter of Queen Maria.
The second part of the ceremony takes place at the Royal Castle Pelişor, starting at 13.15.
Astăzi dimineață a avut loc procesiunea militară a “Întoarcerii Inimii Reginei” _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation

I think that the decisions to members of the royal family are taken from the head of the house in our case the King Mihai. Now if the grandchildren of Queen Marie agree with it or not I do not think that they can do anything. Whether attending the event will have to see.

All the grandchildren of the late Queen should have agreed with a solution. One grandson can't decide alone.

Last edited:
All the grandchildren of the late Queen should have agreed with a solution. One grandson can't decide alone.

Cory, do you know if any of the Queen's grandchildren disagreed with the solution and didn't want their grandmother's heart placed in their castle? Have any made a statement to that effect?

The ceremony "The Return of the Queen's Heart" started today at 11.00 at the Victoria Road in front of the National Museum of Romanian History.
The ceremony was attended by representatives of the Romanian and Moldovan authorities, members of the Diplomatic Corps, and from the army.
His Majesty the King was represented by HRH Crown Princess. HRH prince Radu and HRH princess Maria were present and family members of Princess Ileana, youngest daughter of Queen Maria.
The second part of the ceremony takes place at the Royal Castle Pelişor, starting at 13.15.
Astăzi dimineață a avut loc procesiunea militară a “Întoarcerii Inimii Reginei” _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation

From the Daily Mail

Soldiers transfer the HEART of Queen Victoria's grand-daughter and former Queen of Romania in a silver casket to the room where she drew her final breath 77-years ago  | Daily Mail Online

Cory, do you know if any of the Queen's grandchildren disagreed with the solution and didn't want their grandmother's heart placed in their castle? Have any made a statement to that effect?

Only one of the grandchildren was present at the event.

The Queen Mary's heart is now at Pelisor Museum.

And they didn't? It appears that members of the Habsburg-Tuscany family were there, and apart from king Mihai, the youngest 4 children of Pss Ileana are the only grandchildren of the Queen that are alive today AFAIK.

Only one of the grandchildren was present at the event.

The Queen Mary's heart is now at Pelisor Museum.

Sorry, Cory, but I didn't ask how many were present.

That helps us to get the answers to the other questions.

From 5 granchildren of the late Queen only one was present:

https://www.facebook.com/ghid.zamolxe/videos/780666312043626/?pnref=story

https://www.facebook.com/diana.mandache/posts/10204551941540037?pnref=story

At the National History Museum at the beginning of this ceremony there was the Roman-Catholic Metropolitan of Bucharest but I did not notice any Orthodox Bishop.

Do you know for sure which descendants of the late Queen were consulted to prepare this event?You don't!

The only thing that we are very sure is that the overwhelming majority of the descendants of the late Queen were not there. Let's hope they were ar least invited.

I ask because I really suppose such a decision must be taken by all the grandchildren. I also ask because we all noticed that the majority of the descendants were not there .

http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3302510/Soldiers-transfer-HEART-Queen-Victoria-s-grand-daughter-former-Queen-Romania-silver-casket-room-drew-final-breath-77-years-ago.html

Beautiful ceremony, with H.R.H Crown Princess Margareta watching over it all with regal grace and dignity. It is a good thing to see the later years reburials and reinterrements of exiled and/or displayed royalty of Eastern European nations coming home, and their families meeting love and affection in a post-communist world.

From 5 granchildren of the late Queen only one was present

If the fact that only Archduchess Magdalena was present should be read as an answer to the questions "who took the decision" and "who didn't agree with it", then we should conclude that it was Archduchess Magdalena, the only one preset, who decided and both her siblings and King Michael didn't agree and didn't attend as a sign of their opposition.
It doesn't seem a very likely scenario to me, to be honest, at least because also Crown Princess Margarita, Prince Radu and Princess Maria were in attendance.
Instead, isn't more likely that the decision was agreed by the descendants of Queen Marie and that the absence of four of her grandchildren didn't have anything to do with a supposed protest? After all they are all elderly (the youngest is 73), do not live in Romania, maybe the just didn't feel like travelling there or couldn't do.

From 5 granchildren of the late Queen only one was present:

https://www.facebook.com/ghid.zamolxe/videos/780666312043626/?pnref=story

https://www.facebook.com/diana.mandache/posts/10204551941540037?pnref=story

At the National History Museum at the beginning of this ceremony there was the Roman-Catholic Metropolitan of Bucharest but I did not notice any Orthodox Bishop.

If you have no intention of answering a question, it is correct etiquette NOT to quote it.

Well, Cory, neither do you know, quite frankly.

Unless you are withholding some top secret information.

Do you know for sure which descendants of the late Queen were consulted to prepare this event?You don't!
No, I do not and never pretended to know it.
And - putting all the cards on the table - what about you? If you don't know the answer, we're in the same situation. Instead if you know it, why do you continuously ask who took the decision, who was consulted, who agrees, who disagrees, etc?

Well, it doesn't seem that there is any hint of a disagreement between the grandchildren of the late Queen Marie, does it?
As for the absence of many of her descendants, the possible explanations are many, including old age for the grandchildren, living abroad, and - why not? - maybe a simple lack of interest.
So personally I do not see any reason for insinuating that there are disagreements between King Michael and his cousins, when there isn't any hint of them.

Maybe the only person who really understood King Ferdinand was the Catholic Princess and writer Martha Bibescu.

In 1889 HSH Prince Ferdinand of Hohenzollern became HRH the Crown Prince of Romania.

King Ferdinand I Viktor Albert Meinrad od Romania (Sigmaringen, 24 August 1865 - Sinaia, 20 July 1927; married at Sigmaringen on 10 January 1893 Princess Marie of Great Britain and Ireland, Pss of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Eastwell Park, 29 October 1875 - Pelesch Castle, 10 July 1938)

Reign: 1914 - 1927

Dynasty: Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen

Predecessor: King Carol I of Romania

Successor: King Carol II of Yugoslavia

Children: King Carol II of Romania; Queen Elisabeth of Greece; Queen Maria of Yugoslavia; Prince Nicholas of Romania, Archduchess Ileana of Austria-Tuscany and Prince Mircea of Romania

Parents Ferdinand: Fürst Leopold of Hohenzollern and Princess Antonia of Portugal

Parents Marie: Prince Alfred of Great-Britain, Duke of Edinburgh, Duke of Saxe-Cobug-Gotha and Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia

Siblings Ferdinand: Fürst Wilhelm of Hohenzollern and Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen

Siblings Marie: Grand Duchess Victoria Melita of Russia; Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langeburg and Pirncess Beatrice of Spain, Duchess of Galliera

His successor was Mihai I not Carol II.

During the first world war (after 1916) King Ferdinand could not have any dialogue with his Hohenzollern relatives in Germany. We can imagine how painful it was to hear that the Kaiser did not want his name mention among the Hohenzollern those years. After the war the Family met again and King Ferdinand made sure it was again a very united Family.

Christmas celebrated by King Ferdinand and His Royal Family was different from that during his uncles reign and all the Family was around the Christmas tree:

As the First World War ended, Queen Marie rescued her cousin, Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna, who had been trapped in Odessa, and offered her a home in Bucharest.

As the First World War ended, Queen Marie rescued her cousin, Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna, who had been trapped in Odessa, and offered her a home in Bucharest.
Maria Pavlovna later said that out of all her relatives Queen Marie was the one to offer the most support after the revolution.

Queen Marie sat for her daughter, Princess Ileana in 1931.

Today in Royal History is the 81st Death Anniversary of Queen Marie of Romania born Princess Marie of Edinburgh on 29 October 1875 to Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke of Edinburgh and Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia.

Back
Top Bottom