Ferdinand I (1865-1927) and Marie of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1875-1938)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Marie take an interest in the future George V?

Did Marie take an interest in the future George V?
George was in love with Marie however Marie of Edinburgh, her mother, wanted Marie as Queen of a different country so she brokered her to Rumania. Queen Victoria was miffed as she was hoping the love match would work out. You can read about that in "Born to Rule" by Gelardi, Queen Marie's memoirs and "A Fatal Passion" by John Michael Sullivan which has more to do with Ducky than Marie, however they sisters were always close and their lives always intertwined.

From what I've read, Marie was very fond of George but never fell in love with him or even considered him as a possible match. It appears that her involvement with George occurred during her time on Malta, a couple of years before she was introduced to Ferdinand. Marie was very young, being only 17 when she became engaged, and was surprised at the behind the scenes intrigue and plotting to betroth her to a foreign crown prince. She was very naive and did not even dream that she was pregnant when she recounted feeling ill and out of sorts to a lady in waiting.

In addition, dear Russo is right that Mama Marie did not want another connection to the British royal family through any of her children. She would have made sure that if Marie showed any affection towards George, this undesired effect would have been quashed quickly.

Thank you Russo and Markos.Markos,you do seem to know your royal history!

Thank you Russo and Markos.Markos,you do seem to know your royal history!

My dear IloveCP,

You are very welcome.:flowers: I love to read (not as voraciously these days) and I was a history major in college, so I enjoy biographies and historical books and seem to gravitate to books on royals. I just wish my recall was better.:)

During the I world war Queen Maria wrote to her cousin about the difficult situation of her country but he couldn't really help her .

No, Romania was too far away for many of the allied countries to render her assistance but the country survived the war.

The Russian "Revolution" put in danger the Romanian Kingdom during the war.

You're very welcome! I hope you could go and visit the exhibition at the royal Castle.

Hello:

To anyone that could answer this question.... Queen Marie was pregnant in 1897, and then went to Coburg to have the baby, does anyone know any more information about it?

Hello:

To anyone that could answer this question.... Queen Marie was pregnant in 1897, and then went to Coburg to have the baby, does anyone know any more information about it?

My dear Zebic-matakovich,

There is really not a lot of information regarding this birth. Marie was involved in a scandalous extra-marital affair at the time and when she became pregnant, many assumed she was carrying the child of her lover, Zizi Cantacuzene, a lieutenant and member of her household. According to Gelardi in Born to Rule, nothing was ever known about the child born at Coburg. If it lived, then the child could never be brought back to Romania because the public knowledge about the affair would have led many to believe it was not the Crown Prince's child. And if it died at birth, Marie never disclosed that information. Whatever happened was lost to the ages because the principal person involved, Marie, never spoke of it.

During the First World War, how difficult was the communication between Queen Marie and her sisters? Were they able to visit their mother, Duchess Marie (Maria) of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, during those war years?

Princess Ileana was the youngest daughter of the royal couple.

I am confused... So, Queen Maria, wife of Ferdinand, had an extra marital affair, that may or may not have produced a child?

I noticed that there are a lot of photos with the Queen wearing a head wrap/drape. Was this a thing of the day, or was this for religious reasons, possibly?

Queen Mary was Protestant and in her last years Orthodox .

I've read that Queen Marie was very sympathetic towards the Bahai religion.

She was interested in that religion in the last period of life of her very Catholic husband.

Sent from my GT-S6312 using The Royals Community mobile app

Prince Barbu Stirbeu was all his life very close to the Queen but he could not stay in the country during 1930-1940.

Rumors do not really belong to official history. King Ferdinand did never behave with his six children as if they weren't his own children.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused... So, Queen Maria, wife of Ferdinand, had an extra marital affair, that may or may not have produced a child?
Basically yes, she had an affair with Prince Barbu Ştirbey. It was reported that he wad the actual father of Queen Marie's youngest two children, Princess Ileana and Prince Mircea.
While there isn't any actual evidence that he was Ileana's father, it is instead likely that he was Mircea's father.

Basically yes, she had an affair with Prince Barbu Ştirbey. It was reported that he wad the actual father of Queen Marie's youngest two children, Princess Ileana and Prince Mircea.
While there isn't any actual evidence that he was Ileana's father, it is instead likely that he was Mircea's father.

Did the king just call them his so that they would still have the same as their mother?

Did the king just call them his so that they would still have the same as their mother?
I suppose that - had Ferdinand had doubts about the paternity of his children - he would have recognized them as his own children to avoid scandals. But who knows if he had such doubts.

Rumors do not really belong to official history.
The fact that one story is the "official" story doesn't necessarily mean that it is true and correct. On the contrary, there are many cases where the rumors are much more correct then the official history.

Last edited:
Far too old to be Michael - he wouldn't be born for another 5 years.

I don't think the boy is a close relative of Ferdinand I's. His sons would have been too old to be the boy, and his grandsons/nephews too young.

It may have been a nephew of Marie's. Her sisters had sons who would have been the boy's age.

Far too old to be Michael - he wouldn't be born for another 5 years.

I don't think the boy is a close relative of Ferdinand I's. His sons would have been too old to be the boy, and his grandsons/nephews too young.

It may have been a nephew of Marie's. Her sisters had sons who would have been the boy's age.

Yes the future King Michael would only have been a little over a year old,maybe he's the son of one of Queen Marie's daughters?

Back
Top Bottom