Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not unexpected but still a sad news, the end of a long, long and eventful life.

May his late Majesty rest in peace...

This really is sad news. May His Majesty rest in peace.

King Mihai ti kú, Jesu olodumare!!!. Yoruba Translation-King Michael has died. Jesus Christ. I'm actually crying right now, I loved King Michael, he was my favorite monarch and I always hoped he would return to a Romanian monarchy in place. May his soul rest in peace and may his departure be a reconciliation.:sad::romaniastandard::sad::ohmy::ohmy::sad:

Last edited:
Although that outcome had been expected for quite some time now, it is always sad when the day finally comes. My condolences to the family.

Let's hope that the family can get together now and sort out their differences so that progress can be resumed towards a possible restoration of the monarchy in Romania.

A very sad and very poignant moment in the history of the Romanian Royal Family.

Indeed, the moment was excepted for quite some time - but it is, nonetheless, something that will affect a great many people in Romania and beyond.

It is the end of a long and complicated era, particularly in regard to the personal lives of the Royal Family. But King Michael achieved a great many things during his life and since the end of communism in Romania.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Royal Family and all Romanian at this time.

What a sad news.
May his soul rest in peace.:sad:

May he rest in peace. It’s amazing how the royal houses are related. By my maths Prince William and King Michael are second cousins one removed.

May he rest in peace. It’s amazing how the royal houses are related. By my maths Prince William and King Michael are second cousins one removed.

Based on his descent from Queen Victoria, King Michael was QEIi's third cousin and, therefore, Prince William would be his third cousin twice removed. Do they have some other closer common ancestor in another line which I am missing ?

I believe there is a chance that the PoW might attend the funeral mass this time as he seems to be quite close to the Rumanians.

Last edited:
Based on his descent from Queen Victoria, King Michael was QEIi's third cousin and, therefore, Prince William would be his third cousin twice removed. Do they have some other closer common ancestor in another line which I am missing ?

I believe there is a chance that the PoW might attend the funeral mass this time as he seems to be quite close to the Rumanians.
The Duke of Edinburgh was the second cousin of Helen of Greece, the mother of King Michael. I don't know how that affects Prince William's relation to him since I find the English system of "cousins" very confusing.

It seems yesterday that I was reading about the announcement of the death of HM Queen Anne here at TRF.:sad:

RIP Your Majesty.

I think you are correct. Michael is a descendant of both Empress Victoria and Prince Alfred Duke of Edinburgh.

He met his wife Queen Anne at the wedding of Elizabeth (II) and Philip in 1947.

I wouldn't be surprised to see representants from many Royal families at his Funeral Mass. Even from many exiled Royal families. He was often invited to big events.

The Duke of Edinburgh was the second cousin of Helen of Greece, the mother of King Michael. I don't know how that affects Prince William's relation to him since I find the English system of "cousins" very confusing.

Prince Philip and queen Helen were 1st cousins. Both being children of siblings . They were both grandchildren of HM king George 1st, this maling then 1 st cousins not 2nd

Prince Philip and queen Helen were 1st cousins. Both being children of siblings . They were both grandchildren of HM king George 1st, this maling then 1 st cousins not 2nd
You're right and proved my point about a confusing system although it's embarrassing that I got even the first degree right... I need more coffee

Condolences to the family and to the nation that welcomed him home.

Sad news, though in view of King Michael's long illness not unexpected. What an extraordinary life he led, most of it in exile, yet still a King of his homeland. Reunited now with his beloved wife. RIP.

Condolences to His Majesty's family and friends. May he RIP.

May he Rest In Peace!

May His Majesty rest in peace and his grieving family draw inspiration and comfort from his example. Special thoughts with all Romanians and Moldovans who mourn.

This is one Monarch to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude for his courageous actions in leading the coup that toppled Antonescu during WWII and led to the Nazis not only losing an ally but gaining an enemy. Those actions shortened the war, and thus spared the lives of many soldiers, civilians, and prisoners the world over. We should also remember his resistance to the Soviet subjugation of Romania, long after the western powers had abandoned him and his country to its fate.

A good man, who was also a great man.

Though not unexpected its still sad news,rest in peace King Michael :easter:

Back
Top Bottom