Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very many people coming now to pray in front of the Royal coffin at the Palace. A lot of young person's too. Impressing.

I have been very touched by the footage of today's proceedings in Romania. His Late Majesty has received the honour worthy of his status and his stature and the institutions are to be commended for this dignified and respectful homage. Seeing the crown on the coffin at Peles was very moving and a powerful image.

My heart goes out to his children and grandchildren, so visibly devastated by this loss. May they find comfort in unity in their grief.

Now it is the turn of the Romanian people to pay their respects and remind themselves that there was a Romania before fascism and communism, that it has survived, and that the King was one who kept that Romanian soul alive. May his family continue to sustain his legacy.

It was very touching indeed. We do not know how sincere were the politicians but the reaction of the people was impressing indeed. It is a pity everything happened when the King passed away. Probably it is never too late.

Last edited:

Romanian TV has been broadcasting extensively and with great respect since the passing of the King, and continues to do so. It was very warming to see Nicholas at the tarmac today, welcoming home his grandfather to Romania, alongside the rest of the Royal Family.

The sadness of the death of His late Majesty King Michael came out in full today with his return to Romania. The ceremony at the airport was both sad and uplifting, and truly worthy a great man and a king.

The body of King Michael arrived at Otopeni Airport in Bucharest this morning.

He was transported from Switzerland to Romania aboard a plane of the Romanian Air Force.

The five daughters of the King (Margarita, Helen, Irina, Sophie and Marie) as well as two of his grandchildren, Nicholas with fiancée Alina and Karina, were present at the ceremony.

Video Sosirea aeronavei cu sicriul Regelui | Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR

What was very clear from this event, was that beyond titles and protocol, ceremonies and formalities, this is a family in deep grief. Five women have lost their father, just a year after their mother passing, and now find themselves at the head of their family without their parents to turn to for guidance and wisdom. That is hard on anyone, let alone members of a Royal Family who are simultaneously trying to carve out their roles in their old country, in respect of their parents and to, I'm sure, make them proud.

From all I've seen so far, they're achieving that. That's no small feat, in the middle of what must be the most difficult time for them, as daughters and as people at the center of respectful, national sadness.

After the arrival and ceremony at Otopeni Airport, the coffin of the King was taken first to Castle Peleș. With the royal family in attendance, another religious ceremony took place in the Hall of Honor. Also present were President Klaus Iohannis of Romania, the presidents of both chambers of Parliament, Călin Popescu-Tăriceanu and Liviu Dragnea, as well as Prime Minister Mihai Tudose.

The arrival at Castle Peleș of the coffin of His Majesty

President Iohannis arrives at the Castle

The religious ceremony

I am positively surprised to see Nicholas and Alina at the events today. The family could easily have allowed them only at the funeral on Saturday (Mihai's other grandchildren, except for Elisabeta Karina, weren't present either), so probably this is a first step in a restoration process (not necessarily of his position but at least within the family).

The different Ambassadors came too to Peles to pay homage to the late King. The first one to arrive was Archbishop Buendia ,the Apostolic Nuncio and the Dean of the Foreign Diplomats in Bucharest.

I am positively surprised to see Nicholas and Alina at the events today. The family could easily have allowed them only at the funeral on Saturday (Mihai's other grandchildren, except for Elisabeta Karina, weren't present either), so probably this is a first step in a restoration process (not necessarily of his position but at least within the family).

Lets hope this sad event can bring reconciliation within the family.

Absolutely a positive step, at an emotional event for the whole family. Nicholas is where he should be, with his family during days of mourning.
I think it also fitting to mention that president Iohannis has been very respectful and participatory at every event so far, and that the image of him bowing his head to Margareta at Peles Castle, and him sitting alone on a chair next to the coffin of His late Majesty for a good while, was striking.

Indeed, his presence did not go unnoticed.

Libertatea: "Prince Nicholas, with tears in his eyes, at the coffin of King Michael" -
https://www.libertatea.ro/stiri/pri...mihai-profund-marcat-pe-aeroport-foto-2074797

Romania TV: "King Michael's coffin, met at the airport by His Majesty's daughters and former Prince Nicholas" -
https://www.romaniatv.net/principel...nicului-sau-pe-aeroportul-otopeni_392720.html

Click!: "Former Prince Nicholas, a monument of pain at the coffin of his grandfather" -
Fostul Principe Nicolae, un monument de durere la căpătâiul bunicului său | Click

According to the well-informed journalist Hans Jacobs (royal correspondent for several newspapers) neither the Royal House of the Netherlands nor the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma will be represented at the funeral of former King Michael of Romania.

This was confirmed by the RVD (the State Information Agency) on Tuesday, with the addition that things can be updated. But for so far we have not heard anything.

For the funeral of Queen Anne of Romania born Princess de Bourbon de Parme, the Royal House of the Netherlands was represented by the Duke of Parma, cousin of the King. Of course the Duke of Parma also did attend in his own capacity at the funeral of a Princess of his House.

It is rare that the Netherlands remain absent. It is not exactly that Princess Beatrix or the Duke of Parma have overloaded agendas... Maybe some distance is kept for certain reasons.

Last edited:
According to the well-informed journalist Hans Jacobs (royal correspondent for several newspapers) neither the Royal House of the Netherlands nor the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma will be represented at the funeral of former King Michael of Romania.

This was confirmed by the RVD (the State Information Agency) on Tuesday, with the addition that things can be updated. But for so far we have not heard anything.

For the funeral of Queen Anne of Romania born Princess de Bourbon de Parme, the Royal House of the Netherlands was represented by the Duke of Parma, cousin of the King. Of course the Duke of Parma also did attend in his own capacity at the funeral of a Princess of his House.

It is rare that the Netherlands remain absent. It is not exactly that Princess Beatrix or the Duke of Parma have overloaded agendas... Maybe some distance is kept for certain reasons.

What reasons would those be ? I find it very odd that there will be no Dutch representation at the funeral.

Last edited:
What about the Princes of Bourbon-Parma descendants of the Queens brothers?Will they attend the funeral?Probably HRH Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma won't be at his brother in law's funeral because of his age.

Last edited:
What reasons would those be ? I find it very odd that there will be no Dutch representation at the funeral.

Not one member of the Norwegian Royal Family could make it? Poor show.

I think it should be remembered that this is not a funeral of a head of state from a reigning family. Thus representation from the reigning royal families will be based on their personal relationships to the late King Michael.

I don't remember any members of the Romanian Royal Family attending Norwegian royal occasions, so I assume the Norwegians are not that close to the Romanians. If there is no or little personal relationship to the deceased there is no reason to attend the funeral.

There is nothing in the agenda for any member of the Dutch royal family on the date of the funeral. A rather poor showing IMHO but I expected as much.

I understand that the family relations are not close. The personal ties do not seem close either. No Romanian royal ever attended any royal event in The Netherlands or the other way around.

But king Michael was a ruling king and many other ruling houses will be represented. It would have shown courtesy and respect for somebody who was in a similar situation as theirs but under less fortunate geopolitical circumstances. They could at least have tried to send one of the Parma's as they are related to the late Queen Anne. I doubt the Dutch ambassador to the Vatican (Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma) has a very hectic scheduele either.

Last edited:
I agree with Marengo. King Michael may have ended his days as a former reigning monarch but he was twice over a reigning King. It seems rather cheap for Norway and the Netherlands to simply ignore his funeral. Especially considering how large the Dutch RF is.

I agree with Marengo. King Michael may have ended his days as a former reigning monarch but he was twice over a reigning King. It seems rather cheap for Norway and the Netherlands to simply ignore his funeral. Especially considering how large the Dutch RF is.

The Dutch royal family went en masse to the funeral of Prince Kardam of Bulgaria (the King, the Queen, Princess Beatrix, Princess Laurentien) so I suspect personal relations are important.

Queen Beatrix was host to former King Michael and former Queen Anne at Huis ten Bosch in The Hague: picture.

The Dutch RF is not that large it has only two "fulltime royals" (The King and Queen Máxima).
Princess Beatrix, Princess Margriet and Professor Van Vollenhoven are -in principle- retired.
Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien only incidentally "do something" as they pursue an own career outside the royal role.

Last edited:
Some families will obviously send people who knew Michael or his wife personally but it’s a little feeble when you consider that some former Presidents have had Dutch and Norwegian Royal representation because they were at one time heads of state. The same was said of the Windsors who stayed away from the funeral of Queen Fabiola with no rhyme or reason.

I’m sure both families have their reasons but it comes across as a poor show considering the senior representation from other courts. I can’t believe that absolutely nobody was available to show their respects to a former head of state who served during very very difficult times and came through with dignity and honour.

Some families will obviously send people who knew Michael or his wife personally but it’s a little feeble when you consider that some former Presidents have had Dutch and Norwegian Royal representation because they were at one time heads of state. The same was said of the Windsors who stayed away from the funeral of Queen Fabiola with no rhyme or reason.

I’m sure both families have their reasons but it comes across as a poor show considering the senior representation from other courts. I can’t believe that absolutely nobody was available to show their respects to a former head of state who served during very very difficult times and came through with dignity and honour.

We can not look into the agendas. Princess Beatrix did attend the funeral of the German Bundespräsident Richard Freiherr von Weiszäcker, accompagnied by a Hofdame (see picture). She had a personal relationship with him. Other royals did not attend the funeral of this grand and eloquent statesman. Queen Máxima went to the official cremation of King Bhumibol. It is very rare for the Dutch to stay away. Anyway, there will be a reason for that. But that even the Duke of Parma does not attend is food for conspiracion theories.

Last edited:
When you consider how many Dutch royals there are, it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that not one was free to make an appearance. Regardless of whether they had a personal connection or not. It’s about representing The Netherlands surely? I can understand Norway not being able to send anyone given that the King hasn’t been well recently and that Princess Astrid is not a young woman. If Queen Sonja and the Crown Princely couple are already busy, there’s really nobody else they could send.

But the Dutch have a former monarch, the King, the Queen, Beatrix’s sisters, Beatrix’s children, Margriet’s children....seems a little extraordinary that they’re all pre-booked and can’t spare an afternoon.

Well It's a ceremonial funeral for a former King in a republic country, so the royals who will be in attendance on Saturday are doing it for the reason of friendship or being close related to King Michael, and not in a state capacity.

The King and Queen of Sweden are good friends of Margarita and Radu and knew King Michael and Queen Anne very well too so they are attending for the friendship-reason and not in a state capacity.

As with Queen Fabiola’s funeral, there are all kinds of excuses made and if certain courts don’t feel they need to bother then that’s a matter for them. However, it remains a poor show. Very disappointing.

Because he was once a reigning monarch at a pretty crucial time in European history. King Michael’s role in the Second World War is pretty unique, something I would have thought would have at least guaranteed some kind of nod, especially from the Dutch.

Back
Top Bottom