Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As with Queen Fabiola’s funeral, there are all kinds of excuses made and if certain courts don’t feel they need to bother then that’s a matter for them. However, it remains a poor show. Very disappointing.

But there is no Royal Court in Romania. It's a former royal court that is no longer existing more than inside the family so you can't be expected to attend unless you know or is is close related to the grieving family.

The country is a republic so you can't compare this situation with Belgium. A full State funeral for the Romanian President would have been a totally different matter. Queen Fabiola was not a former Queen and nor did she live in exile. She was Queen in a monarchy from her marriage until her death. Protocollary that's a huge difference.

Duc_et_Pair,

We well remember your outrage when the BRF failed to send Royal representation to Queen Fabiola's funeral, but it is somehow different when the Dutch fail to attend the Funeral of a [once] reigning Monarch, rather than a 'mere' consort ?
#DoubleStandards...

Of course. I do see what you’re saying and I agree. But in my opinion, it’s still a little shabby.

Duc_et_Pair,

We well remember your outrage when the BRF failed to send Royal representation to Queen Fabiola's funeral, but it is somehow different when the Dutch fail to attend the Funeral of a [once] reigning Monarch, rather than a 'mere' consort ?
#DoubleStandards...

No double standards at all. I feel the same when -if the rumours are true- the Dutch Royal House is not represented, that would be a quite remarkable and rare exception on the rule that they are always represented.

W [...]

But the Dutch have a former monarch, the King, the Queen, Beatrix’s sisters, Beatrix’s children, Margriet’s children....seems a little extraordinary that they’re all pre-booked and can’t spare an afternoon.

The Dutch have two fulltime royals: the King and Queen Máxima.
Three royals are -in principle- retired and two royals pursue an own career outside the royal role. And that is it. The De Bourbon de Parmes, the Van Vollenhovens and the Guillermos are no part of the Dutch Royal House.

The Duke of Parma did represent his cousin the King at the funeral of Queen Anne of Romania (probably as he was already there anyway as Head of the House Bourbon-Parma).

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Also no Liechtenstein, no Hohenzollern (the late King was Prinz von Hohenzollern) and no Bourbon-Parma (the late Queen was Princesse de Bourbon de Parme).

Remarkable absences from quite a lot of Houses, for the funeral of a once reigning King (twice). We can only guess why.

Last edited:
So the broadcasters [National?] describe him as 'Principe' even if his family doesn't ???

Interesting....

Also no Liechtenstein, no Hohenzollern (the late King was Prinz von Hohenzollern) and no Bourbon-Parma (the late Queen was Princesse de Bourbon de Parme).

Remarkable absences from quite a lot of Houses, for the funeral of a once reigning King (twice). We can only guess why.

Liechtenstein is still being quoted in some media sources as being represented. That leaves the Dutch, Danes, Norwegians, Monegasques & Bourbon Parmas as the notable absentees. I dare say in most cases, there is little or nothing to read into these absences at all. Stephanie de Monaco was in Romania visiting not long ago, for example. It's rare for any funeral to have a full house - no British Royal went to Fabiola's funeral, for example. I imagine the absence of Nikola II of Montenegro is also not a slight. He was at the King's 90th.

The Prussian Hohenzollerns are there, just not the Sigmaringen Hohenzollerns. As you say, Duc, we can't know why. Perhaps they stayed away in a huff or perhaps it's to underline the message that they have no interest in Romania - or both, or neither....

Things may change even yet.

Norway might not have anyone to send. Neither The King, nor Princess Astrid, is in the best health and might not want to go abroad. The King is expected to attend the installation of the new Bishop of Oslo at the morning service in Oslo Cathedral the day after. That leaves The Queen and The Crown Prince Couple. If both Sonja and Haakon is unavailable (all engagements are not published in the calendar) there is no one to send.

And with Frederik and Joachim abroad, Prince Henrik retired due to illness and Princess Benedikte already having engagements, there is only The Queen left in Denmark. If she's unavailable there is no one to send. There is no reason for QMII to order Prince Joachim to break his christmas holiday and go to a funeral of a former King in a republic country, unless there is a strong personal connection. Had it been a funeral for Grand Duke Jean, King Juan Carlos, Princess Beatrix or King Albert II it would have been a different situation. Had Queen Anne-Marie represented Greece, then maybe QMII could have asked her sister to represent her too but only Princess Irene seems to be on the Guest list from the Greek Royals.

Last edited:
Queen Anne Marie is on the list but she’s not listed with her son or sister or law. So could it be that she’s representing Margrethe and Nikolaos and Irene are representing Constantine?

In the communiqué they mention Liechtenstein but no names in the guestlist. Also strange: no one from Switzerland, the land where King Michael and Queen Anne have lived for decades. Or they are not named because not royal?

Last edited:
In the communiqué they mention Liechtenstein but no names in the guestlist. Also strange: no one from Switzerland, the land where King Michael and Queen Anne have lived for decades. Or they are not named because not royal?

I imagine that these things can be a bit fluid in the lead-up, particularly at this time of year, and even if someone doesn't attend, it may well be because they can't rather than because they don't want to. We'll know after the event who was there and who wasn't, I'm sure.

In any event, the Romanians themselves are showing up in their thousands to pay homage to their King at the Royal Palace, which is far more important to me than whether Good Queen Daisy is there or not (no disrespect intended to HM the Queen of Denmark). Apparently, the palace gates will remain open all night.

Last edited:
Queen Anne Marie is on the list but she’s not listed with her son or sister or law. So could it be that she’s representing Margrethe and Nikolaos and Irene are representing Constantine?

I discovered now that Queen Anne-Marie is indeed on the guest list. She is listed as Queen of the Hellenes and is probably representing her husband but it's not impossible that QMII has asked her sister to represent her too if there is no one else available.

Last edited:
Liechtenstein is still being quoted in some media sources as being represented. That leaves the Dutch, Danes, Norwegians, Monegasques & Bourbon Parmas as the notable absentees. I dare say in most cases, there is little or nothing to read into these absences at all. Stephanie de Monaco was in Romania visiting not long ago, for example. It's rare for any funeral to have a full house - no British Royal went to Fabiola's funeral, for example. I imagine the absence of Nikola II of Montenegro is also not a slight. He was at the King's 90th.

The Prussian Hohenzollerns are there, just not the Sigmaringen Hohenzollerns. As you say, Duc, we can't know why. Perhaps they stayed away in a huff or perhaps it's to underline the message that they have no interest in Romania - or both, or neither....

Things may change even yet.

Probably nobody invited the Princely House of Hohenzollern.

A bit nitpicky maybe but as Grand Duke Henri is on guestlist there will be a Bourbon-Parma present at the funeral.

Really surprised that there's no one from the Monegasques Princely Family seeing as Princess Stephanie was only in Romania last month and met with the Crown Princess and her husband.

I've also heard on TV news this evening a report that mentioned the Royal Family of Portugal will also be represented. It was repeated that Liechtenstein will be represented and King Constantine II was mentioned with Queen Anne-Marie. The list still seems fluid.

For the funeral of Queen Anne of Romania born Princess de Bourbon de Parme, the Royal House of the Netherlands was represented by the Duke of Parma, cousin of the King. Of course the Duke of Parma also did attend in his own capacity at the funeral of a Princess of his House.
I am quite sure the Dutch royal family would not have been officially represented at queen Anne's funeral had Carlos not wanted to attend as the head of the house. As he was attending it was easy to also consider him the representative of the royal house.

So, the main question is why Carlos (or his brother as his representative) is not attending the funeral. Or they have other obligations (not unlikely in December), or the husband of a Bourbon-Parma princess (even though he is a former king) is not considered important enough.

HRH the Duke of Parma is not so closely related to the Romanian Royal Family as HRH Prince Charles-Emanuel of Bourbon-Parme.

Last edited:
HRH the Duke of Parma is not do closely related to the Romanian Royal Family as HRH Prince Charles-Emanuel of Bourbon-Parme.

He wasn't close to Anne either but attended as he takes his role as head of the house Bourbon Parma very seriously, so the most logical conclusion is that the 'husband of' is not important enough for the head of the house to attend.

I suppose the members of the Bourbon-Parme Family have always respected the King but I cant understand why nobody of the Queen's Family attends the Funeral.

I suppose the members of the Bourbon-Parme Family have always respected the King but I cant understand why nobody of the Queen's Family attends the Funeral.

Agreed. I don't think not attending should be interpreted as a lack of respect but as a lack of priority (probably over scheduled christmas related activities).

Has none of Mihai and Anne's nephews or nieces (of course on Anne's side of the family) been confirmed so far?

No Bourbon Parma at the King's Wedding. No Bourbon Parma at the King's Funerals.

No Bourbon Parma at the King's Wedding. No Bourbon Parma at the King's Funerals.
At the wedding there was the religious issue. This is certainly not the case for the funeral.

The Coffin of King Michael I of Romania lying in State at the Royal Palace in Bucharest today.

PPE Agency

Agreed. I don't think not attending should be interpreted as a lack of respect but as a lack of priority (probably over scheduled christmas related activities).

Has none of Mihai and Anne's nephews or nieces (of course on Anne's side of the family) been confirmed so far?
I've seen one close relative of Queen Anne post a picture on social media from Romania during the week. It's possible that means some of her relatives are attending the funeral.

The guest list is not all encompassing. It likely focuses on those royal personages who will be most known to the average royal follower.

For instance, Archduke Carl Philipp of Austria and his wife Archduchess Annie-Claire have announced that they will be coming from Mexico to be present at the funeral of the King. The Habsburgs in attendance would obviously be relatives from Queen Anne's side as well, to those who are focusing on the absence of any member of the Bourbon-Parma family proper.

https://www.facebook.com/CasaDeHabs...0072716279577/155136781773170/?type=3&theater

Back
Top Bottom