Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May he rest in peace, and may his family find comfort and healing in this difficult time.

The Duke of Edinburgh was the second cousin of Helen of Greece, the mother of King Michael. I don't know how that affects Prince William's relation to him since I find the English system of "cousins" very confusing.

Philip and Helen would have been first cousins. They were both grandchildren of George I of Greece. Helen (who was born in 1896) was the daughter of George's eldest son, Constantine I of Greece. Philip the son of his fourth son Andrew. Charles and Michael would be second cousins, and William and Michael second cousins once removed.

Sad news, even though expected. Condolences to the extended family on the loss :flowers:

The Romanian women national handball team played with a stripe of black tape on their left arms during last nights game against Spain at the World Championships in Germany, as a mark of respect following the death of the King earlier the same day.
It is good to see the reverence shown to the King, and the high regard in which he was held throughout the nation.

"According to the Legal Norms of the Royal House of Romania, signed by His Majesty King Michael I of Romania, succession to the title of King or Queen will come to Crown Princess Margareta, as King Michael decided in 2007"

This was included below Her Royal Highness' translation of her speech on the Romanian news channels. Does the Crown Princess now intend to use that title?

I believe she will be HRH Princess Margareta of Romania, Custodian of the Crown.

In other defunct monarchies the title of King and Queen is no longer used, only by the last actual monarch (King Michael, King Constantine, King Simeon). The successors all avoid the title of King: Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia, Dom Duarte Pio, the Duke of Bragança, Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia, Archduke Karl of Austria, Prince François d'Orléans, etc.

Last edited:
Last night, December 5, 2017, at the private royal residence of Aubonne (Switzerland), the first prayer was delivered by the Metropolitan Joseph IPS, assisted by an Orthodox priest from the Western European Metropolis and four nuns. CP Margareta, Prince Radu and Princess Maria were present. Prayers will be praised every night at the royal residence until Sunday December 10, 2017.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcWmBqUlGt0/?taken-by=familiaregalaaromaniei

Today, December 10 Dubasii from all over the Mures Valley area paid a last tribute and kept a moment of silence in the memory of King Mihai at Săvârşin Castle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bch0T4NFI9J/?taken-by=familiaregalaaromaniei

Last edited by a moderator:
I am impressed how well the former Royal House functions, given the fact that their organization and budget is only a fraction of that of the reigning Houses. Even more: some reigning Houses can take note of the quite good organized digital commuications by the Romanians.

I hope the Prince of Wales will represent the BRF .

A logical guestlist for me is one with the elder royals:

United Kingdom:
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall

Norway:
The King
The Queen

Sweden:
The King
The Queen

Denmark:
The Queen
The Prince Consort

Netherlands:
Princess Beatrix
The Duke of Parma (the late King's spouse was a Princess of his House)

Belgium:
King Albert
Queen Paola

Luxembourg:
The Grand-Duke
The Grand-Duchess

Spain:
King Juan Carlos
Queen Sofía

Monaco:
The Prince

Liechtenstein:
The Prince
The Princess

I'd imagine we'll see a large gathering of his extended royal cousins in attendance.

I'd be very surprised not to see queen Sofia and her sister Princess Irene.

I believe she will be HRH Princess Margareta of Romania, Custodian of the Crown.

In other defunct monarchies the title of King and Queen is no longer used, only by the last actual monarch (King Michael, King Constantine, King Simeon). The successors all avoid the title of King: Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia, Dom Duarte Pio, the Duke of Bragança, Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia, Archduke Karl of Austria, Prince François d'Orléans, etc.

I know that other heirs don't use monarchical titles so I found it odd that the Romanian news agencies were suggesting that Margareta would use the title of Queen. Perhaps it was a bad translation as I've checked the Romanian Royal House press releases and can't find a single mention of anything even vaguely suggesting that she would style herself that way.

United Kingdom:
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall

Norway:
The King
The Queen

Sweden:
The King
The Queen

Denmark:
The Queen
The Prince Consort

Netherlands:
Princess Beatrix

Belgium:
King Albert
Queen Paola

Luxembourg:
The Grand-Duke
The Grand-Duchess

Spain:
King Juan Carlos
Queen Sofía

Monaco:
The Prince

Liechtenstein:
The Prince
The Princess
I expect a full turnout of Balkan royals & maybe some of the Habsburg relatives. He does have some first cousins alive (hopefully I got the cousins right this time) so some of them should be there.

And hopefully also the Fürst and Fürstin von Hohenzollern as well their son, the Erbprinz Alexander. After all the late King Michael and his five daughters are all Hohenzollerns, it is a death in one of the three major branches (Hohenzollern, Prussia and Romania).

From Princess Margareta to the current Fürst:

Princess Margareta of Romania born Prinzessin von Hohenzollern
---> King Michael of Romania born Prinz von Hohenzollern
----> King Carol II of Romania, Prinz von Hohenzollern
-----> King Ferdinand of Romania, Prinz von Hohenzollern
-------> Leopold Fürst von Hohenzollern
-----> Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern
----> Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern
---> Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern
Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern

Last edited:
And hopefully also the Fürst and Fürstin von Hohenzollern as well their son, the Erbprinz Alexander. After all the late King Michael and his five daughters are all Hohenzollerns, it is a death in one of the three major branches (Hohenzollern, Prussia and Romania).

From Princess Margareta to the current Fürst:

Princess Margareta of Romania born Prinzessin von Hohenzollern
---> King Michael of Romania born Prinz von Hohenzollern
----> King Carol II of Romania, Prinz von Hohenzollern
-----> King Ferdinand of Romania, Prinz von Hohenzollern
-------> Leopold Fürst von Hohenzollern
-----> Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern
----> Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern
---> Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern
Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern
Having Hohenzollerns present would be both fitting as an honour to the most prominent member of the house and also a way to show that the conflict between the two family branches should be over.

I am impressed how well the former Royal House functions, given the fact that their organization and budget is only a fraction of that of the reigning Houses. Even more: some reigning Houses can take note of the quite good organized digital commuications by the Romanians.
To me it's proof of that Radu & Margarita know exactly what they're doing.
I know to little about the intrigues surrounding the family (and it's the wrong place to talk about it) to say more about them but, Radu's candidacy for president aside, they have handled their position very well.

Duke,
You are dreaming...Why more Royals than for the King of Thailand ?
We will see for sure Archduke Lorenz of Habsbourg -Este but not as Prince of Belgium. A lot of German Princes , Queen Sophia who attend his 90th birthday, other non reigning Royals ,some Bourbon Parme, consorts of Kings as for the King of Thailand ,Mrs Marlene Koening and certalny not the Duke of Vendome.

Even if the Fürst and Fürstin of Hohenzollern should attend i don't think the Hereditary Prince would attend as well. One also does not see him much at german noble Events which the Fürst and Fürstin attend.

Last edited:

United Kingdom:
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall

Norway:
The King
The Queen

Sweden:
The King
The Queen

Denmark:
The Queen
The Prince Consort

Netherlands:
Princess Beatrix

Belgium:
King Albert
Queen Paola

Luxembourg:
The Grand-Duke
The Grand-Duchess

Spain:
King Juan Carlos
Queen Sofía

Monaco:
The Prince

Liechtenstein:
The Prince
The Princess

I can see the King and Queen of Sweden attend his funeral as personal friends. They were close to King Michael and are close to Margareta and Radu.

I do not expect The Prince Consort of Denmark to attend any more things outside of Denmark (maybe no more things at all). If Denmark is represented, it is probably by The Queen alone or by Princess Benedikte.

The Prince of Wales will probably attend if he is available. Otherwise i would expect the Duke of Gloucester or the Duke of Kent represent QEII. I expect someone from the older generation if they send someone.

Last edited:

United Kingdom:
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall

Norway:
The King
The Queen

Sweden:
The King
The Queen

Denmark:
The Queen
The Prince Consort

Netherlands:
Princess Beatrix

Belgium:
King Albert
Queen Paola

Luxembourg:
The Grand-Duke
The Grand-Duchess

Spain:
King Juan Carlos
Queen Sofía

Monaco:
The Prince

Liechtenstein:
The Prince
The Princess

I doubt the Prince consort of Denmark will be present.
I have a feeling Constantine and Anne-Marie of Greece will attend too.

What are the links between the Portuguese royal family and the Romanian Royal Family? will the Duques of Bragança will King's funeral?

I know that other heirs don't use monarchical titles so I found it odd that the Romanian news agencies were suggesting that Margareta would use the title of Queen. Perhaps it was a bad translation as I've checked the Romanian Royal House press releases and can't find a single mention of anything even vaguely suggesting that she would style herself that way.

On the website of TVR said the Princess Margaretha will have the title of Queen.
https://translate.google.pt/transla...gareta-prime--te-titlul-de-regina_825561.html

Death of King Michael, 5th December 2017

The mystery deepens. I wonder if the Romanian media have misunderstood something or whether this is something they’ve been briefed on and we haven’t?

It seems pretty obvious to me from that article that she can style herself as Queen if she wishes. And certainly it seems to be what the late King wished.

Last edited:
In my eyes this "Romanian Insider" had the wrong interpretation. According to the Fundamental Rules (Michael's drafted succession) she is his successor to the throne but it is up to the Romanians -if ever- to decide on this.

For so far Princess Margareta consequently uses the term "Custodian of the Crown", which is similar to Maria Vladimirovna Romanova whom styles herself as "Curatrix" of the Russian Crown.

In my eyes this "Romanian Insider" had the wrong interpretation. According to the Fundamental Rules (Michael's drafted succession) she is his successor to the throne but it is up to the Romanians -if ever- to decide on this.

For so far Princess Margareta consequently uses the term "Custodian of the Crown", which is similar to Maria Vladimirovna Romanova whom styles herself as "Curatrix" of the Russian Crown.

I share your interpretation, Duc_et_Pair.

Perhaps the King was trying to reinforce his house rules by claiming for his daughter the status of de jure successor to the throne of Romania. According to those rules, on his death, she becomes de jure Queen in the same way that Crown Prince Leka II and Crown Prince Nikola II are de jure Kings of Albania & Montenegro.

Like them, I think she'll use her current title and a regnal number - HRH Crown Princess Margareta I, Custodian of the Crown of Romania - rather than adopt the style of Queen Margareta I.

Crown Prince Alexander II of Serbia and Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, actually are Crown Princes, their fathers still being on the throne at the time of their births.

The meaning of "Crown Prince(ss)" seems to be acquiring a new usage - for the heads of non-reigning houses - in addition to the established one.

Crown Custodian's Proclamation: In my efforts to develop and consolidate the country, I will be exemplary of our Father
"Called to be the successor of the good King Michael, who has left me as a holy inheritance love and faith towards Romania, I will continue the work and respect his covenant," the Romanian Crown Custodians sent in a second official message.
https://translate.google.pt/transla...-model-exemplul-parintelui-nostru_825582.html

Any messages of condolences from other royals?

:previous: I believe that the last time they might have seen each other was in 2012 at the luncheon QEII held for her fellow monarchs. King Michael was among the invited guests.

Jubilee monarchs' lunch: the full guest list - Telegraph

Thanks for reminding us about that wonderful event - in which Mihai -and Simeon and Konstantinos- were seated based on seniority as if they were still the monarchs of their respective countries!

https://www.realitatea.net/reac-ii-...-va-fi-inhumat-noaptea-batjocura_2126700.html

It seems as if the Royal House are facing a backlash here because of the time of the burial and the restricted access to press and public. A popular theory (on social media....:whistling:) is that the King died months ago but that the Royal House waited to announce it until the Roman Parliament had passed it's bill confirming the status of the Royal House. Some are suggesting this is why Nicholas MM was restricted from seeing his grandfather.

Last edited:
https://www.realitatea.net/reac-ii-...-va-fi-inhumat-noaptea-batjocura_2126700.html

It seems as if the Royal House are facing a backlash here because of the time of the burial and the restricted access to press and public. A popular theory (on social media....:whistling:) is that the King died months ago but that the Royal House waited to announce it until the Roman Parliament had passed it's bill confirming the status of the Royal House. Some are suggesting this is why Nicholas MM was restricted from seeing his grandfather.

:shock:

Well, damn if it's true. But who knows, maybe Mihai ordered this like that before dying, knowing this bill is going to be passed. But then again he is a true christian, so without one proof, this is quite an accusation.

Back
Top Bottom