Death & Funeral of Her Majesty, Queen Anne of Romania - 01 August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there will be more Bourbon-Parmas than only the Duke of Parma and Archduchess Marie-Astrid. There are still a few alive closely related to Queen Anne's generation:

Siblings
le prince Michel de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Michel de Bourbon de Parme née princesse Maria Pia di Savoia
la princesse-douairière André de Bourbon de Parme née Marina Gacry

Nephews and nieces
la princesse-douairière Edouard de Lobkowicz née princesse Marie-Françoise de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Marie-Thérèse de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Marie-Cécile de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Marie-des-Neiges de Bourbon de Parme
le prince Sixte-Henri de Bourbon de Parme
le grand-duc Jean de Luxembourg
le comtesse-douairière Knud af Holstein-Ledreborg née princesse Marie-Gabrielle de Luxembourg
la princesse-douairière Antoine de Ligne née princesse Alix de Luxembourg
le prince Rémy de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Rémy de Bourbon de Parme née Élisabeth Tardif
la princesse Chantal de Bourbon de Parme, madame François-Henri des Georges
monsieur François-Henri des Georges
le prince Jean de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Diane de Bourbon de Parme, madame Hans Joachim Oehmichen était marié le prince Franz von Hohenzollern
monsieur Hans Joachim Oehmichen

Last edited:
Any of them announced they would attend?

Who attended the Requiem Mass at the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Bucuarest? Which members of the Family or foreign Royals?

I think there will be more Bourbon-Parmas than only the Duke of Parma and Archduchess Marie-Astrid. There are still a few alive closely related to Queen Anne's generation:

Siblings
le prince Michel de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Michel de Bourbon de Parme née princesse Maria Pia di Savoia
la princesse-douairière André de Bourbon de Parme née Marina Gacry

Nephews and nieces
la princesse-douairière Edouard de Lobkowicz née princesse Marie-Françoise de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Marie-Thérèse de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Marie-Cécile de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Marie-des-Neiges de Bourbon de Parme
le prince Sixte-Henri de Bourbon de Parme
le grand-duc Jean de Luxembourg
le comtesse-douairière Knud af Holstein-Ledreborg née princesse Marie-Gabrielle de Luxembourg
la princesse-douairière Antoine de Ligne née princesse Alix de Luxembourg
le prince Rémy de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Rémy de Bourbon de Parme née Élisabeth Tardif
la princesse Chantal de Bourbon de Parme, madame François-Henri des Georges
monsieur François-Henri des Georges
le prince Jean de Bourbon de Parme
la princesse Diane de Bourbon de Parme, madame Hans Joachim Oehmichen était marié le prince Franz von Hohenzollern
monsieur Hans Joachim Oehmichen

Being related does not mean they will attend.

The Requiem Mass for the late Queen was not live at the Romanian Televisions.

Being related does not mean they will attend.

That is true but come on... siblings, nephews and nieces... I am aware some of them are very frail: Prince Michael, Grand-Duke Jean but there are also persons very well able to pay last respects to heir very own sister(-in-law) and aunt. Or is the family só dysfunctional or somerhing? Imagine that grandchildren, nephews and nieces simply stay away from any other funeral?

It is also possible the late Queen has left instructions to keep it small. For so far I am pretty confused by the mixed signals: great honour by the republican states of Romania and Moldova. Reluctance and invisibility from the related royal families. We will see how the funeral will unfold.

Last edited:
Your statement about the British royals is largely inaccurate. Fabiola's funeral was a rare occasion when the British sovereign sent the Ambassador to represent her There were no Brits at Queen Margrethe's birthday last year because she invited ONLY fellow sovereigns - and Queen Elizabeth II sent her regrets -- she was nearly 90. Philip was going to the 70th bday, but the volcano changed plans. However, there have been reps at the royal weddings. However, invitations to royal events are not always sent to every royal house. It is not required. Anne was never the queen consort of a sovereign nation. Charles is very close to Margarita, but British protocol is different. The British embassy sent out an announcement saying that the queen would be represented as would Charles ... Charles does not usually have a separate rep at major royal events. However, he owns property and is close to Margarita. She knows he would not have been able to come. In terms of protocol, Anne is not entitled to same representation if she were the consort of a reigning monarch. Michael might get more, because he was a reigning monarch. I am surprised that Crown Prince Alexander is not going ... that is the one that surprises me.

Well, sending an ambassador is not the same like sending a son, a grandson or a cousin, you know!
I didn´t say it is right or wrong of the BRF to attend or not! All I said was that I didn´t expect somebody of them to attend anyway!
I´m sure if Charles really WANTED to come he would have. Funerals are always more or less unexpected and if a royal head of state would have died, Charles or another member of the BRF would have attended, no matter if he/ she had the time to go or not!
I remember the wedding of CP Haakon back in 2001. The Pr of Wales attended the religious ceremony and off he went as soon as it was over (yes, I know, Edward and Sophie stayed for the ball. But still there always remains the feeling that their attendance is an obligation, not that it is something important to them personally).
CP Alexander not going is your only surprise? Come on, Queen Sophia spent so much time together with this couple in her youth, she was one of the most distinguished guests at the King´s 90th birthday. They were so closely connected in their younger years, shared so many emotional family occasions I find hard to understand why someone just skips the last good byes to someone so close!

Last edited:
It is pretty much a given that each and every person acts and reacts to a death in the family in different ways. I don't believe that showing up at the public funeral events constitutes respect for the deceased. It is a time for whomever feels that is where they want to be, to come together and remember and honor the person that has passed on.

It is just as valid to perhaps plant a tree in their memory or to make a donation to a favorite charity and also just as valid that even with blood ties, the relationship with the deceased was as a stranger they may have met once or twice in a lifetime and a person feels hypocritical attending a funeral, wearing black and putting on an air of loss when there really wasn't one there to begin with.

We can't really judge what a person feels or doesn't feel as we're not them.

The Duke of Parma is the Queen Ana's nephew from a cousin. We speak about the descendants of her brothers that live in France.

A nephew is the child of a brother or a sister, not a cousin .., they are kinsman , but he may have called her aunt

Well, sending an ambassador is not the same like sending a son, a grandson or a cousin, you know!
I didn´t say it is right or wrong of the BRF to attend or not! All I said was that I didn´t expect somebody of them to attend anyway!
I´m sure if Charles really WANTED to come he would have. Funerals are always more or less unexpected and if a royal head of state would have died, Charles or another member of the BRF would have attended, no matter if he/ she had the time to go or not!
I remember the wedding of CP Haakon back in 2001. The Pr of Wales attended the religious ceremony and off he went as soon as it was over (yes, I know, Edward and Sophie stayed for the ball. But still there always remains the feeling that their attendance is an obligation, not that it is something important to them personally).
CP Alexander not going is your only surprise? Come on, Queen Sophia spent so much time together with this couple in her youth, she was one of the most distinguished guests at the King´s 90th birthday. They were so closely connected in their younger years, shared so many emotional family occasions I find hard to understand why someone just skips the last good byes to someone so close!

A lot has to do with protocol. This is not the funeral of a a consort of a monarch. The British embassy sent out a release stating that the queen and Charles would be represented. The Foreign Advises on such matters. Please note that apart from Lorenz of Belgium and Marie Astrid, there are no reigning royals there. The only reason Lorenz is there is that he is a member of the Crown Council. he is not representing the King. No one is representing Margrethe or Sweden (who were supposed to attend the 90th birthday, but had to cancel at the last minute.) Alexander and Katherine arrived late from the USA -- I was coming down the elevator in my gown to wait with other guests for our shuttles, and they were just arriving ..Royal Musings: More photos from Bucharest includes a photo of the Queen and I at breakfast

That is true but come on... siblings, nephews and nieces... I am aware some of them are very frail: Prince Michael, Grand-Duke Jean but there are also persons very well able to pay last respects to heir very own sister(-in-law) and aunt. Or is the family só dysfunctional or somerhing? Imagine that grandchildren, nephews and nieces simply stay away from any other funeral?

It is also possible the late Queen has left instructions to keep it small. For so far I am pretty confused by the mixed signals: great honour by the republican states of Romania and Moldova. Reluctance and invisibility from the related royal families. We will see how the funeral will unfold.

No nieces or nephews will be attending

About what?, that the Romanians have been rejected by reigning European royals.:ermm:

That probably all that happened in the last years in the King's Family was not fully appreciated by many royal relatives around Europe.

Really? Because they tend to be invited to plenty of events. Not seeing much of them in past few years is more about health than not being appreciated. Margareta and Radu have gone in their place the last few years. Michael attended Will/Kate wedding, Anne was unable. Margareta went to Victoria and Guillaume's, Nicholas was invited to Amedeo's.In 2008 when they celebrated diamond anniversary, Greek, Spanish, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, German and Lux royals came.

That probably all that happened in the last years in the King's Family was not fully appreciated by many royal relatives around Europe.

That opinion should be based solely on what the public is informed about and is in the public domain of relationships between European royalty. In actuality, we have no clue whatsoever about what the relationships and communications between these personages are like in private life.

For all we know, some of them could have been calling daily to inquire how both the King and Queen's health was and are sending personal condolences to King Michael privately.

Who attended the Requiem Mass at the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Bucuarest? Which members of the Family or foreign Royals?

Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu, Princess Elena and Mr Nixon, Princess Sophie and her daughter Elisabeta-Maria Biarneix as well as Princess Marie attended the Requiem Mass at St. Joseph Cathedral.

Also present were Archduke Martin of Austria, the Margrave of Baden, Prince Lorenz of Belgium and Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia; there may have been more, those were the ones I could make out.

AGERPRES FOTO

Last edited:
That is not true. The American grandchildren were invited. They chose not to go.

It was reported in July that at least one of Irina's children and grandchildren had visited Michael and Anne in Switzerland recently. It is possible that they chose to say their goodbyes there to both before their deaths instead of attending funerals. Their finances could be limited, there could be health issues, issues with taking time off work, they could not like funerals/big public events or their issues could be with another relative? This is how they choose to do things and it is not necessarily a snub to Anne.

Last edited:
The "former" Prince Nicolae is looking very distinguished and Romanian with his beard with reminiscences of King Ferdinand!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

About what?, that the Romanians have been rejected by reigning European royals.:ermm:

If they were rejected, the British, Dutch and the Luxembourgian Houses would not have sent a representative. Members of the Corps Diplomatique would not sign condoleance books and no wreaths would have been ordered to be laid.

So they are not at all rejected. As earlier stated: when it are no reigning monarchies, all comes to the established personal relationship. For Prince Kardam of Tirnovo four royals fom the Netherlands flew to the funeral. (Picture). There was (is) a personal relationship with the Bulgarians, which seems missing with the Romanians, that is all. No any "rejection" in place.

Last edited:
There are three Catholic Bishops celebrating the Funerals of the late Queen now in front of the Royal Palace: HE Archbishop Ioan Robu, Roman-Catholic Metropolitan of Bucharest, HE Monsignor Mihai Fratila, Greek-Catholic Bishop of Bucharest, and HE Monsignor Cornel Damian, Roman-Catholic Auxiliary Bishop of Bucharest.

The "former" Prince Nicolae is looking very distinguished and Romanian with his beard with reminiscences of King Ferdinand!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

He seems also the only one in jacquet (morning coat with tails) while the other gentlemen are "just" in black suit and tie.

Back
Top Bottom