Death & Funeral of Her Majesty, Queen Anne of Romania - 01 August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps the late Queen herself declared premortem she didn´t want this particular daughter to attend her funeral one day?! Last will?

In these moments the Family of the King should be united as the late Queen really wished.

How do you know her wish? We can also say she stood by her man, when he ousted Princess Sophia for her marriage to Alain Biarneix, she stood by her man when he stripped and ousted Princess Irina and her totally not involved children after that affair with fighting cocks, she stood by her man when he stripped and ousted their grandson Nicholas for misty reasons, undoubtedly putting a strain on the relationship with Princess Elena and Nicholas' sister Karina.

Always nice to claim that sweet peace-loving Anne wanted union in the family. Source? For the same money Anne could have been the force behind Michael's actions. Who knows? It is all pure guesswork.

Has Irina met her father or anyone in the family recently? I'm under the impression she remains estranged despite her lawyer's argument about wanting to visit her father. Maybe she would like to attempt reconciliation but her father/family do not...or vice versa. Estrangements are sad and complicated.

Ideally, everyone would call a truce and be civil for a few hours/days but tensions/emotions could be too much. If Irina or anyone believes her attendance is disruptive, maybe it's better she stay away.

Her Royal Highness Princess Irina of Romania, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, a lady with more darkblue royal blood in her veins than many of today's royals in the current monarchies, has been "stripped from her titles" by a gentleman in Aubonne, Switzerland, based on nothing more than His Royal Will And Pleasure. He even removed her children Michael and Angelica out of his own fabricated line of succession. These two children had zero comma zero to do with the actions of their stepfather Mr Walker and their mother's involvement in that.

Three people thrown out of the royal family! Not for high treason, not for war crimes, not for complotting against the King or the Heir, no... because there were cockfights in a barn! It was just like shooting with a bazooka on a mosquito. Every nuance and proportion was lost. In the meantime Irina went all over the media as the fallen royal, stripped from her titles and her rights. Not the best recipe for harmonious family relations.

Last edited:
It is rather sad to see some Orthodox complaining their Church would pray for a Catholic Queen. Fortunately they seem to be rather the exception.

I really don't think the thread about Queen Anne's death is the right place for people to rejoice with dirty laundry and rehashing discussions they had ad nauseam on the appropriate threads.

I really don't think the thread about Queen Anne's death is the right place for people to rejoice with dirty laundry and rehashing discussions they had ad nauseam on the appropriate threads.

Agree completely, there are plenty of other threads for those stories to be rehashed if people feel the need to

It feels a bit strange to first all post R.I.P and then not let anything "rest in peace" at all...

Well, it is unavoidable that this comes up when (grand-)children will not attend the farewell to their own (grand-)mother whom has been classified as "peace-loving and unifying" by some. Then there are things biting each other. On top of this there seems conflicting interests between state and royal family (posthumous awarding of an order) and between religions about the funeral organization and rites. Yes, of course RIP. What else can one say? Anne has closed her eyes for ever, so she will for sure have her eternal rest, but then it is the start of a complex family machinery.

I have witnessed it in my own family. After initial union it fell apart. Geographical, personal, social, linguïstic and financial differences have drifted the family apart. Old cows were dragged out of the moat. Feuds flamed up again. Too recognizeable for many families all over the world. No difference for the Hohenzollern sisters, the Kreuger, the Medforth Mills and the Biarneix cousins.

Last edited:
Please Duc , write this on your Facebook but I agree totally agree Chris M and lee Z.

We shall see who will attend the funeral. Now it is time for prayer.

On top of this there seems conflicting interests between state and royal family (posthumous awarding of an order) and between religions about the funeral organization and rites. [...] but then it is the start of a complex family machinery.

I agree; these are important questions for a royal funeral.

If the majority of the descendants of the late Queen are not present at the Funerals that will certainly strongly affect the image of the Family.

How do you know her wish? We can also say she stood by her man, when he ousted Princess Sophia for her marriage to Alain Biarneix, she stood by her man when he stripped and ousted Princess Irina and her totally not involved children after that affair with fighting cocks, she stood by her man when he stripped and ousted their grandson Nicholas for misty reasons, undoubtedly putting a strain on the relationship with Princess Elena and Nicholas' sister Karina.

Always nice to claim that sweet peace-loving Anne wanted union in the family. Source? For the same money Anne could have been the force behind Michael's actions. Who knows? It is all pure guesswork.

This happens on very rare occasions - but I really have to agree with Duc et Pair here!
Actually we royal watchers know virtually nothing really about the late Queen. My guess is that nobody would have denied her daughter, grandchildren attending her funeral if she wished to.

I´m pretty surprised to see the actions the romanian state is undertaking for a woman who never had the chance to serve the country as Queen consort and never bothered to spend too much time in Romania although she and King Michael were able to since more than 20 years! And a day of(f) national mourning in a country of one of europe´s weakest economies!
I guess pretty unthinkable in levelheaded, prosaic central or northern europe? Well, must be a thing of mentality?!
Still I´m very happy for the Royal Family that so much affection and honours (and love?) are being given to the late Queen and I hope her funeral will help to heal some family rifts!

It is a sign of respect towards the Queen of Romania and is nothing surprising in this.

This happens on very rare occasions - but I really have to agree with Duc et Pair here!
Actually we royal watchers know virtually nothing really about the late Queen. My guess is that nobody would have denied her daughter, grandchildren attending her funeral if she wished to.

That might be the case for some royalty watchers, but others have followed the Romanian royal family for years and perhaps have more knowledge than they would like.

If you want to know more about the Queen, the following sources are a good place to start: Anne of Romania: A War, An Exile, A Life, Anne - Portrait of the Queen, the chapter on Romania in The Gotha: Still a Continental Royal Family, Volume I, any of the profiles of the Queen and the royal family of Romania in Point de Vue over the years, etc.

There is no dearth of information on Queen Anne or her family if one is willing to look for it.

It is a sign of respect towards the Queen of Romania and is nothing surprising in this.

Probably the concept of "a Day of National Mourning" differs from country to country. The last one in the Netherlands (for a royal) was in 1962. Everything had to close the doors. Theaters, cinemas and sports games were annuled. In public places only demped music was allowed and had to come from one of the national television- or radio networks. This has never been repeated: it was felt as imposing mourning on every free individual in a democratic society.

Maybe the "Day of National Mourning" in Romania does not go that far? Just flags flown half-mast but for the rest all is like every-day's-business-as-usual?

That might be the case for some royalty watchers, but others have followed the Romanian royal family for years and perhaps have more knowledge than they would like.

If you want to know more about the Queen, the following sources are a good place to start: Anne of Romania: A War, An Exile, A Life, Anne - Portrait of the Queen, the chapter on Romania in The Gotha: Still a Continental Royal Family, Volume I, any of the profiles of the Queen and the royal family of Romania in Point de Vue over the years, etc.

There is no dearth of information on Queen Anne or her family if one is willing to look for it.

With other words: your assessment is that the late Queen Anne indeed was a peace-loving and an unifying factor in the family? Overseeing the affairs of the royal family then it looks like the late Queen had the weight of a feather.

With other words: your assessment is that the late Queen Anne indeed was a peace-loving and an unifying factor in the family? Overseeing the affairs of the royal family then it looks like the late Queen had the weight of a feather.

Where in my post did was anything along those lines written? Oy vey. Reading is so fundamental; though sometimes glasses are necessary.

The Queen was a complex person, and she had a complicated existence. Yes, her blood was as blue as the sapphire sea, but her life was not problem-free. One of the bigger consolations of Her Majesty's last years would have been that her memory was kaput so she would not have had a clue about the recent happenings among her family (and, by that, I mean among both the family of her birth and the family she married into...some of these happenings are public information and some of them are not, and it will stay that way).

You, Duc et Pair, have very firmly entrenched opinions, about which we are all quite aware. If you have anything new to share with us in this thread, be it regarding news about the royal family on this particular topic or developments concerning the funeral of the Queen of Romania, then I am sure we would all love to read it.

Probably the concept of "a Day of National Mourning" differs from country to country. The last one in the Netherlands (for a royal) was in 1962. Everything had to close the doors. Theaters, cinemas and sports games were annuled. In public places only demped music was allowed and had to come from one of the national television- or radio networks. This has never been repeated: it was felt as imposing mourning on every free individual in a democratic society.

Maybe the "Day of National Mourning" in Romania does not go that far? Just flags flown half-mast but for the rest all is like every-day's-business-as-usual?

Or maybe it is quite similar?

So far the Spellground Music Festival 2016 has been canceled because it happened to fall during the weekend that contains the Funeral and Day of Mourning for the Queen.

Spellground Festival a fost anulat din cauza doliului naţional pentru Regina Ana - Mediafax

Doliu national pe 13 august: Ce se intampla cu Spellground, Summerwell si Rockstadt

Spellground Festival a fost anulat | DC News | De ce se intampla

Spellground Festival a fost anulat, pentru respectarea doliului na?ional

It is very much surprising in terms I named. And on top of it all we´re talking about a republic, not a monarchy.
It would have been not surprising if this was about a decade long serving Queen - but a state funeral for a lady who´s only merit it was to be married to the country´s former King is something I didn´t expect.
I didn´t state I´m against it or that she doesn´t deserve it!

When you look at Greece it seems very hard to imagine that both the King or Queen, who at least acted as monarchs for 10 years, will be given this treatment by the government when this sad and hopefully far away day may come! And King Constantine served in the greek army, won the country´s first olympic gold medal and hurried to live in his homeland again, after finding a suitable place, as soon as he could.

But actually she was never the Queen of Romania as she married the former King after his abdication and not during the time he was still reigning. She was referred to and and treated as Queens because she was married to the former King.
And if is not surprising why where there no Days of National mourning when Queen Marie-José of Italy died or when Queen Giovanna of Bulgaria died?

But actually she was never the Queen of Romania as she married the former King after his abdication and not during the time he was still reigning. She was referred to and and treated as Queens because she was married to the former King.
And if is not surprising why where there no Days of National mourning when Queen Marie-José of Italy died or when Queen Giovanna of Bulgaria died?

it's not like the british monarchy where to be called a queen reigning or consort you have to be crowned she is simply queen cause here husband is king it's like any married woman who is referred to as a ( Mrs ) instead of ( Ms ) .
and you can't compare italy and bulgaria with romania , romania lately have been discussing an official role for the royal house and had been recogniseing the order's the royal house had been awarding due to their growing popularity and public approval of the royal house

There was a Divine Liturgy on Saturday the 6th of August for the late Queen celebrated in the Greek-Catholic church "St. Peter and Paul" in Arad organized by the "Amicii Regelui Mihai" Association. Sunday the 7th of August there will be a moment if orayer fir the late Queen in the Orthodox Cathedral of Alba Iulia organized by the Movement for Kingdom and Crown.

it's not like the british monarchy where to be called a queen reigning or consort you have to be crowned

Not the case at all - a Queen in the UK becomes one the instant the previous monarch dies and either they themselves or their husbands succeed e.g. QEII was Queen and called such the day her father died in February 1952 not when she was crowned in June 1953 some 16 months later.

Edward VIII is listed in the number of monarchs and he was never crowned having abdicated before his coronation.

Sad news. But given her age and health state not unexpected.
I have to agree that considering that she was 92 and in poor health that her death was not unexpected. Still I'd always found her to be a sparkling personality who had lead an extraordinary life. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing her reminisce about her life in the documentary about the children of Christian IX.

Prince Nicholas will be attending the funeral of his grandmother.

Along with their mother Princess Irina, Michael and Angelica Kreuger will not be present at the ceremonies for Queen Anne.

The Royal House is supposed to announce on 9 August whether King Michael will be in a good enough condition to go to Romania for the burial of his wife. It is presumed that Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu, Princess Elena along with her husband Mr Alexander Nixon McAteer and her daughter Karina, Princess Sophie and Princess Marie will be present as well. So far the only foreign guest who is confirmed is the Duke of Parma.

Fostul principe Nicolae, aşteptat să participe la înmormântarea Reginei Ana
Royal Musings: Queen Anne's funeral: Irina's statement

It is very much surprising in terms I named. And on top of it all we´re talking about a republic, not a monarchy.
It would have been not surprising if this was about a decade long serving Queen - but a state funeral for a lady who´s only merit it was to be married to the country´s former King is something I didn´t expect.
I didn´t state I´m against it or that she doesn´t deserve it!

When you look at Greece it seems very hard to imagine that both the King or Queen, who at least acted as monarchs for 10 years, will be given this treatment by the government when this sad and hopefully far away day may come! And King Constantine served in the greek army, won the country´s first olympic gold medal and hurried to live in his homeland again, after finding a suitable place, as soon as he could.

That example of King Constantine is a good one. Or King Simeon whom even served as Prime Minister. The Day of National Mourning for a lady who never was Queen-Consort in Romania and even never lived there is a remarkable honour by two republics.

This funeral gives a momentum to the former royal family. Too bad that they can not appear as an united front, given the absence of one daughter and two grandchildren.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom