Death & Funeral of Her Majesty, Queen Anne of Romania - 01 August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monday Prince Carlos stated to be "deeply touched" by the passing away of "this dear aunt". She meant a lot for him personally and for his family, was the reaction of Carlos, the Duke of Parma and Piacenza.

Queen Anne's father and Prince Carlos' grandfather were brothers.

From Robert to Anne

Robert de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma and Piacenza
x
Maria Antônia of Portugal
=
René

René de Bourbon de Parme
x
Margrethe of Denmark
=
Anne

---------------------------

From Robert to Carlos

Robert de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma
x
=
Xavier

Xavier de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma
x
Marie-Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset
=
Carlos Hugo

Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma
x
Irene of the Netherlands
=
Carlos

Monday Prince Carlos stated to be "deeply touched" by the passing away of "this dear aunt". She meant a lot for him personally and for his family, was the reaction of Carlos, the Duke of Parma and Piacenza.

Queen Anne's father and Prince Carlos' grandfather were brothers.

From Robert to Anne

Robert de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma and Piacenza
x
=
René

René de Bourbon de Parme
x
Margrethe of Denmark
=
Anne

---------------------------

From Robert to Carlos

Robert de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma
x
=
Xavier

Xavier de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma
x
Marie-Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset
=
Carlos Hugo

Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma
x
Irene of the Netherlands
=
Carlos

Has HRH the Duke of Parma ever attended an event of the Royal Family of Romania?

Has HRH the Duke of Parma ever attended an event of the Royal Family of Romania?

I don't think so. Until 1990 Romania was a no-go area for the former royal family and likewise also for the previous Duke of Parma (a full cousin of the late Queen Anne). The wordings of the current Duke (Prince Carlos) seems to indicate there were contacts between him, his family and their great-aunt Queen Anne.

The relationship with the De Bourbon de Parmes was not always that smooth. Prince Carlos' grandfather Xavier, then the Duke of Parma, felt he had to side with the refusal by the Pope to grant permission for the marriage of this Catholic Princess to a non-Catholic King. That was also the reason for the non-attendance of the Duke of Parma at the wedding. It seems that Xavier did object against the attendance of Anne's parents at her wedding. No idea if that was true. The parents could have ignored that anyway. In the end her parents indeed did not attend the wedding.

From the words of the current Duke I understand it is all buried in the past and the relationship with their great-aunt was good.

Last edited:
Did HRH the Duke of Parma meet the late Queen of Romania?

Did HRH the Duke of Parma meet the late Queen of Romania?

He spoke about "mijn lieve tante" (my dear/darling aunt) and how she meant a lot to him and his family. That seems to indicate that Queen Anne had contact with her full cousin, the late Carlos Hugo, and with his children Carlos/Jaime/Margarita/María Carolina.

The last one, Princess María Carolina, lived in Switzerland too (near Genève). Recently she moved to Hong Kong: her husband has become CEO of the Asian activities of his family imperium. Maybe the Princess -and/or her siblings, when in Genève- visited her great-aunt in Aubonne. It is only 30km from Genève.

Last edited:
The relationship with the De Bourbon de Parmes was not always that smooth. Prince Carlos' grandfather Xavier, then the Duke of Parma, felt he had to side with the refusal by the Pope to grant permission for the marriage of this Catholic Princess to a non-Catholic King. That was also the reason for the non-attendance of the Duke of Parma at the wedding. It seems that Xavier did object against the attendance of Anne's parents at her wedding. No idea if that was true. The parents could have ignored that anyway. In the end her parents indeed did not attend the wedding.

Actually at the time (in 1948) the Duke of Parma was Giuseppe, with Prince Elias acting as Regent. It wasn't until 1974 that Xavier became Duke of Parma. Though I seem to recall that it was indeed Xavier who mainly objected to the attendance of the Bourbon-Parmas to the wedding.

Actually at the time (in 1948) the Duke of Parma was Giuseppe, with Prince Elias acting as Regent. It wasn't until 1974 that Xavier became Duke of Parma. Though I seem to recall that it was indeed Xavier who mainly objected to the attendance of the Bourbon-Parmas to the wedding.

Oh yes, Giuseppe/Joseph/José, but he was under regency by his brother Elias, of course. I overlooked him.

But also Prince Elias himself, the Regent for the Duke of Parma, did not attend the wedding either. His halfbrother Prince Xavier was known as a rigid person but in this case also Prince Elias himself did not attend the wedding of his niece Princess Anne to King Michael of Romania.

Why would that have been? Did Elias agree with the Pope too?

President Nicolae Timofti has declared 13 August to be a day of national mourning in the Republic of Moldova due to the death of Queen Anne.

Președintele Timofti a decretat 13 august 2016, zi de doliu național — Președinția Republicii Moldova

That is very interesting. For an example: in the Netherlands, an actual monarchy, no Day of National Mourning has been organized for a member of the royal family since the State Funeral of Queen Wilhelmina in 1962. It is remarkable that a republic organizes this.

All the members of the Bourbon-Parme Dynasty were very devout Catholics so it's understandable how they reacted to the marriage.

That is very interesting. For an example: in the Netherlands, an actual monarchy, no Day of National Mourning has been organized for a member of the royal family since the State Funeral of Queen Wilhelmina in 1962. It is remarkable that a republic organizes this.

Basarabia is an ancient part of the Kingdom of Romania so it is a strong connection.

The Orthodox clergy will say prayers at Peles,Royal Palace and at Curtea de Arges. The rest of the liturgical moments are celebrated by the Catholic clergy. There won't be any prayer performed by the clergy of both Churches together because the Orthodox do not accept it.

The Dutch State Information Agency has announced that King Willem-Alexander and his House will be represented at the funeral by Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme.

Prince Carlos, cousin of the King, is the Duke of Parma and Head of the House Bourbon-Parma. The late Queen Anne was a Princess de Bourbon de Parme.

Besides this, on behalf of The King and of Queen Máxima, His Majesty's Ambassador in Bucharest, Her Excellency Ms Maris-Stella Ronner Grubačić LL.M., will lay a wreath of flowers and sign the official book of condoleance.

---

This was to be expected: the King, the Queen and the princesses are in Argentina (homeland of the Queen) and Brazil. They will attend the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Last edited:
Only Princess Irina announced she would not attend?

She was their mother, grandmother and great-grandmother!
Nobody has right to forbid them to say farewell to her!

She was their mother, grandmother and great-grandmother!
Nobody has right to forbid them to say farewell to her!

It would be really sad if any descendant of the Queen were not allowed to the Funeral.

It is Princess Irina's personal decision to to attend the funeral.

As for any other members of the Royal Family / descendants attending, it is currently anyone's guess who will go or not. There is no suggestion of anyone being prevented from attending, so I am not sure why we are having such a conversation. Even if someone does not attend, I fail to see how it could be presumed they have been prevented from going.

It is Princess Irina's personal decision to to attend the funeral.

As for any other members of the Royal Family / descendants attending, it is currently anyone's guess who will go or not. There is no suggestion of anyone being prevented from attending, so I am not sure why we are having such a conversation. Even if someone does not attend, I fail to see how it could be presumed they have been prevented from going.

In these moments the Family of the King should be united as the late Queen really wished.

In the face of death all quarrells should be forgotten.

I find it sad Irina is not attending. I read when she was sentenced to parole in 2014, her lawyers got the judge to allow her to keep her passport. It was argued due to the ill health of her parents, it was unfair not to allow her outside the US. It was granted to allow her to spend time with Michael, and yet she isn't even going to her mother's funeral. This is the time to set aside issues.:sad:

Has Irina met her father or anyone in the family recently? I'm under the impression she remains estranged despite her lawyer's argument about wanting to visit her father. Maybe she would like to attempt reconciliation but her father/family do not...or vice versa. Estrangements are sad and complicated.

Ideally, everyone would call a truce and be civil for a few hours/days but tensions/emotions could be too much. If Irina or anyone believes her attendance is disruptive, maybe it's better she stay away.

Back
Top Bottom