Death & Funeral of Her Majesty, Queen Anne of Romania - 01 August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw in life Curtea de Arges, the Royals came from their airco bus and had to stay more than one hour in the hot Sun. The Crown Princess had an umbrella.
Long Othodox cermonial and all my repect to the Old Patriarch !

I do not think that Prince Lorenz or Princess Marie-Astrid were representing their monarchs, given that the funeral is not on the respective agendas.

http://www.monarchie.be/nl#agenda
Actualités - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg

The website of the Belgian monarchy is (in)famous for its undynamic and sluggish updating... Note that the attendance of the Duke of Parma is not mentioned either on the (daily updated) Dutch Royal House website, but it has been communicated to the media.

Archduke Lorenz himself is also a Prince of Belgium. His children are Princes and Princesses of Belgium. He and his family live on the same royal domain as the King and Queen, and the former King and Queen. I can not imagine that during the passage for the condoleances Archduke Lorenz would not have spoken too for his brother-in-law, King Philippe. He will eventually have handed over personal messages from Philippe & Mathilde and from Albert & Paola to Princess Margareta.

Last edited:
It is disappointing (or not) that the House Hohenzollern seem not represented (or Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia was also representing his cousin, the Fürst?). At the other side: former King Michael ended the ties with the House Hohenzollern, scrapped the titles of that House. That is quite a demonstrative act. It undoubtedly will not have warmed the relationships between the German and Romanian Hohenzollerns. When the Fürst and the Erbprinz would have been at the funeral, maybe that was a "distraction" as it would make the media aware of the original successors until 2007, before former King Michael tried to change it.

Last edited:
This is necessary to distinguish:

A funeral of a Queen without a throne, because her country is a republic, Queen Maria Jose of Italy, for example. It was a funeral of Royal houses, the Royal family of Italy invited to the Royal houses..

And a state funeral of a Republic to a Queen. It is, the Republic who invites and who decides This is different.

The invitations were organized by the family like in the case of the Queen of Italy.

Please note that several empty/repetitive posts have been deleted together with incidental responses. Thanks you.

It is disappointing (or not) that the House Hohenzollern seem not represented (or Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia was also representing his cousin, the Fürst?). At the other side: former King Michael ended the ties with the House Hohenzollern, scrapped the titles of that House. That is quite a demonstrative act. It undoubtedly will not have warmed the relationships between the German and Romanian Hohenzollerns. When the Fürst and the Erbprinz would have been at the funeral, maybe that was a "distraction" as it would make the media aware of the original successors until 2007, before former King Michael tried to change it.

Nonreigning houses are rarely in the habit of dispatching cousins from other nonreigning royal houses to attend events for them by proxy.

Do we know how close the relationship even is between the imperial Hohenzollerns and the princely Hohenzollerns?

Alexander Nixon McAteer is the second husband of Princess Elena of Romania and therefore the stepfather of Nicholas and Karina Medforth-Mills. Their father Robin Medforth-Mills died in 2002, when Nicholas was 7 and Karina was 3. Nicholas was born in Switzerland. His current country of residence is not clear since his departure from the Royal House. Karina was born and still lives in the United Kingdom.

Elisabeth Biarneix is -like Nicholas- a grandchild of former King Michael. She is the daughter of Princess Sophia of Romania and her former husband Alain Biarneix. She was born in Italy and lives in France. When Sophia married Alain, this was completely against the will of her father. He stripped her from her titles and threw her out of the Royal House. The couple divorced in 2002 and five years later, both Sophia and Elisabeth appeared in King Michael's Fundamental Rules of the Romanian Royal Family: back in grace and favour, so it seems.

Nicholas and Karina were 17 and 13 when their father died unexpectedly from a heart attack. Some family and friends recalled their reminiscences of Dr Robin Medforth-Mills in the book on Prince Nicholas; Robin seems to have been thoroughly liked by all who knew him. The loss of his father profoundly affected the young boy, who thankfully had intuitive friends and teachers who were able to be there for him in the period after.

As for Elisabeta, she was born in Paris and named for all of the Queens of Romania, except for Anne. Princess Sophie did not have a relationship with the King and Queen at the time of Elisabeta's birth; Michael was apparently mortified by her choice of husband (who still pops up every once in a while in Romania using his faux title...he had formerly claimed to be a Habsburg descendant and was visited by Archduke Otto's lawyers). Fortunately, the family reconciled after Sophie was able to extricate herself from Monsieur Biarneix. Elisabeta turns 17 this coming Monday (15 August).

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/alt.talk.royalty/UWkQHAOpL-Q/XFkA5e0qqO8J

http://french-corporate.com/french-...on-16-rue-theodore-de-banville-75017-paris-17

Curtea de Ages. Please Help !
It was Queen Anne last farewell.
I followed in life , a Senator and a Theologue were the TV 's Guest. What they said was certainly very interesting but I did not understand a word.
I am not sure Carol II and Queen Helena were buried there.

Last edited:
Curtea de Ages. Please Help !
It was Queen Anne last farewell.
I followed in life , a Senator and a Theologue were the TV 's Guest. What they said was certainly very interesting but I did not understand a word.
I am not sure Carol II and Queen Helena were buried there.

Carol II was indeed eventually reburied in Curtea de Arges.

However, his tomb is in an older chapel; Queen Anne's is located in a newer chapel.

Queen Mother Helen is buried at the Greek Orthodox Church in Lausanne.

https://royalromania.wordpress.com/...-king-carol-ii-resting-place-curtea-de-arges/

http://www.theflorentine.net/lifestyle/2014/07/queen-helen-of-romania/

A very moving ceremony !!!! Thanks to everyone and especially you Benjamin for all the information and photos to this thread!!

Last edited:
Saw in life Curtea de Arges, the Royals came from their airco bus and had to stay more than one hour in the hot Sun. The Crown Princess had an umbrella.
Long Othodox cermonial and all my repect to the Old Patriarch !

The Orthodox Patriarch was not in Curtea de Arges.

I don't usually follow this family. Can someone please tell me why the King didn't attend? At least I didn't see him. Attention seems to be on Crown Princess Margarita.

Princess Margarita wore a blue-silver ribbon with a silver medal;

Princess Elena, Mr Alexander Nixon McAteer, Princess Maria and Princess Sofia wore a blue-silver ribbon with a golden medal;

I believe that they are all wearing the Royal Decoration of the Custodian of the Romanian Crown.

Artindex » 25 de ani de la venirea ASR Principesei Margareta în România – Medalia Custodele Coroanei române
http://www.familiaregala.ro/ordine-si-decoratii/medalia-custodele-coroanei-romane

I don't usually follow this family. Can someone please tell me why the King didn't attend? At least I didn't see him. Attention seems to be on Crown Princess Margarita.

King Michael is extremely ill and hospitalized in Switzerland since surgery in March at least. He has leukemia/carcinoma and sadly will likely follow Anne soon. He was unable to travel.

Last edited:
Thank all of you who are sharing links to information, videos, photos and articles. I just came home from my holiday today, but I heard about the funeral on the BBC Radio.

May Queen Anne rest in peace.

Last edited:

Why would the Prince of Hohenzollern or his son attend the funeral. (Georg represented himself). There are no close ties between the families

Michael is very frail

There were enough royals anyway and all of them had a relation to the late Queen Anne:

Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este, Prince-Royal of Hungary, Prince of Belgium, head of the House of Austria-Este (also representing of the King of the Belgians). His grandmother was Empress Zita, born a Princess de Bourbon de Parme.

Archduke Carl Christian and Archduchess Marie-Astrid of Austria-Lorraine née Princess of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau, Princess de Bourbon de Parme (also representing the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg)

Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma and Piacenza, head of the House of Bourbon-Parma (also on behalf of the King of the Netherlands)

Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, Grand-Duchess of Russia, head of the House of Russia. She was married to Prince Franz-Wilhelm of Prussia, from the House of Hohenzollern (the same ancestral House as Romania).

Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia, head of the House of Prussia. He comes from the House of Hohenzollern (the same ancestral House as Romania).

Prince Maximilian of Baden, Margrave of Baden, head of the House of Baden. His mother was a sister to Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Duke Eberhard of Württemberg. His mother is born a Princess of Orléans, related to the deceased Queen Anne.

Archduke Martin of Austria-Este, Prince-Royal of Hungary. His grandmother was Empress Zita, born a Princess de Bourbon de Parme.

Archduke Martin of Austria, Prince of Tuscany. His mother was Princess Ileana of Romania.

Archduchess Maria Magdalena of Austria, Princess of Tuscany, Freifrau von Holzhausen and her huband Hans Freiherr von Holzhausen. The mother of the Archducess was Princess Ileana of Romania.

Princess Eleonore of Schaumburg-Lippe. She seems close to King Michael and the late Queen Anne and also lives and works in Romania.

Duchess Anita von Hohenberg, Countess de Bardeau and her husband Count Andreas de Bardeau. The mother of the Duchess was Princess Elisabeth of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau, Princess de Bourbon de Parme.

Princess Anne de Ligne. Her mother was Princess Alix of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau, Princess de Bourbon de Parme.

Princess Tatiana Radziwill, Madame Fruchaud and her husband Jean Henri Fruchaud. A niece to the father of Prince Philip, Due of Edinburgh and to Princess Françoise of Orléans (related to the late Queen).

Eleonore moved back to Denmark several years ago

MarleneKoenig said:
Why would the Prince of Hohenzollern or his son attend the funeral. (Georg represented himself). There are no close ties between the families

And with that settled, let's focus on the topic of this thread.

Further repetative posts pointing out wishes for the Romanian succession will be deleted. It is distasteful to abuse this thread - dedicated to the death and funeral of Queen Anne - to push your own agenda. Especially since the same posters have been pushing the exact same agenda ad nauseam for years.

Last edited:
The different Celebrations in Switzerland and in Romania were un "sans faute".
The Queen's Religion was respected.

Were will go the Regina Ana Cross ?

What will change for the Organisation of the King's Funerals ?

I noticed no high Security in Curtea de Arges.

The Queen's Funeral was not only Catholic even if she was Catholic herself.

Last edited:
All four daughters were at the Requiem Mass even if some Televisions spoke only about the eldest one.

Thanks to Antena 3, Digi24 for the coverage of the Royal Funeral.

It is telling that the Romanian State offered the Queen in Death, the dignity and honours it denied her in Life...

May she rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom