Death & Funeral of Her Majesty, Queen Anne of Romania - 01 August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's pity that someone from BRF (especially Charles) won't attend. In youth Charles and Anne were very close with Margarita. It's sad that in funeral will attend a few royals. I thought that Princess Benedikte, Princess Christina (from Sweden), King Harald and Queen Sonja, Princess Caroline, Queen Sofia will attend.
Who will represent Bulgaria ? Prince Kyril ? Or someone else ?

There are reasons of protocol for why Charles is sending a rep, which is, actually, a big deal, because Anne married Michael in exile, and he is not a reigning sovereign. Thus, the representation is limited because of Anne's real position.

The British Embassy sent out an announcement regarding the funeral .. Kalnoky is Charles' business partner and good friend

It is rather curios the majority of the reigning European Monarchies won't be represented by their members at these Funerals. The absence of King Mihai himself from this sad event could be a reason for this attitude of the reigning Houses?

No, I´m sure there weren´t any differences if he attended.

Even if Archduke Lorenz is the only official member attending from a reigning family there are still many members of non reining families like The Prince of Prussia and Grand Duchess Maria.

Lorenz is a member of the Crown Council.

It's pity that someone from BRF (especially Charles) won't attend. In youth Charles and Anne were very close with Margarita. It's sad that in funeral will attend a few royals. I thought that Princess Benedikte, Princess Christina (from Sweden), King Harald and Queen Sonja, Princess Caroline, Queen Sofia will attend.
Who will represent Bulgaria ? Prince Kyril ? Or someone else ?

Actually I didn´t expect any of them to attend (perhaps with the exception of Queen Sophia)... Only the reigning houses seem to be, more or less, close. The only exception are the Greeks who, by Queen Anne-Marie, are related to almost everyone in europe.

We all know how the british royals avoid everything continental if they possibly can and I knew at once that nobody of them, or at least no one major royal, would attend this funeral!
The greek royal family, or King Paul and Queen Frederica, were very close to Michael and Anne, who got married in Athens and even had their wedding reception at the royal Palace. And one of the romanian couple´s daughters was christened in the presence of the greek royal family in Athens. But King Constantine seems to be a bit frail these days...?

Last edited:
Actually I didn´t expect any of them to attend (perhaps with the exception of Queen Sophia)... Only the reigning houses seem to be, more or less, close. The only exception are the Greeks who, by Queen Anne-Marie, are related to almost everyone in europe.

We all know how the british royals avoid everything continental if they possibly can and I knew at once that nobody of them, or at least no one major royal, would attend this funeral!
The greek royal family, or King Paul and Queen Frederica, were very close to Michael and Anne, who got married in Athens and even had their wedding reception at the royal Palace. And one of the romanian couple´s daughters was christened in the presence of the greek royal family in Athens. But King Constantine seems to be a bit frail these days...?

Exactly most of the people Anne and Michael were or are acquainted with are either deceased or are to frail to attend. In the U.K. the Queen and the DoE (but they probably wouldn't have gone since they are at Balmoral and protocol), in Lux. Jean, in Greece Constantine, and there are others like Prince Michel who is not in good health.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Your statement about the British royals is largely inaccurate. Fabiola's funeral was a rare occasion when the British sovereign sent the Ambassador to represent her There were no Brits at Queen Margrethe's birthday last year because she invited ONLY fellow sovereigns - and Queen Elizabeth II sent her regrets -- she was nearly 90. Philip was going to the 70th bday, but the volcano changed plans. However, there have been reps at the royal weddings. However, invitations to royal events are not always sent to every royal house. It is not required. Anne was never the queen consort of a sovereign nation. Charles is very close to Margarita, but British protocol is different. The British embassy sent out an announcement saying that the queen would be represented as would Charles ... Charles does not usually have a separate rep at major royal events. However, he owns property and is close to Margarita. She knows he would not have been able to come. In terms of protocol, Anne is not entitled to same representation if she were the consort of a reigning monarch. Michael might get more, because he was a reigning monarch. I am surprised that Crown Prince Alexander is not going ... that is the one that surprises me.

I had hoped there would be a better royal turn out and perhaps Queen Sofia and her sister Princess Irene might attend.

No news of their attendance yet. Until now nobody confirmed from the Serbian and Greek Royal Houses either.

Your statement about the British royals is largely inaccurate. Fabiola's funeral was a rare occasion when the British sovereign sent the Ambassador to represent her There were no Brits at Queen Margrethe's birthday last year because she invited ONLY fellow sovereigns - and Queen Elizabeth II sent her regrets -- she was nearly 90. Philip was going to the 70th bday, but the volcano changed plans. However, there have been reps at the royal weddings. However, invitations to royal events are not always sent to every royal house. It is not required. Anne was never the queen consort of a sovereign nation. Charles is very close to Margarita, but British protocol is different. The British embassy sent out an announcement saying that the queen would be represented as would Charles ... Charles does not usually have a separate rep at major royal events. However, he owns property and is close to Margarita. She knows he would not have been able to come. In terms of protocol, Anne is not entitled to same representation if she were the consort of a reigning monarch. Michael might get more, because he was a reigning monarch. I am surprised that Crown Prince Alexander is not going ... that is the one that surprises me.

Indeed, the absence of Crown Prince Alexander is more conspicuous than any other attendee or lack thereof. Well, him and Queen Sofia. I did think she might attend in the end.

Indeed, the absence of Crown Prince Alexander is more conspicuous than any other attendee or lack thereof. Well, him and Queen Sofia. I did think she might attend in the end.

This is the list.

No news of their attendance yet. Until now nobody confirmed from the Serbian and Greek Royal Houses either.

The palace said they would release a list on Thursday with the foreign royals. The list was released on Thursday, today. I was told yes, they were surprised by several declines (and they were not talking about the British as Charles made sure he sent a rep, as well as the Queen). They knew that Charles would not be able to attend due to protocol.

The palace said they would release a list on Thursday with the foreign royals. The list was released on Thursday, today. I was told yes, they were surprised by several declines (and they were not talking about the British as Charles made sure he sent a rep, as well as the Queen). They knew that Charles would not be able to attend due to protocol.

The British sent more than adequate representatives, in all fairness. Some of the other declines are more odd to me, but do we know if all the reigning European houses were issued invitations?

Grateful Thanks Mrs MarleneKoenig for your threads on this Board. You are doing well. MO

The Duke of Larma represents his cousin but it's not a member of the Dutch Royal Family.

HRH The Duke of Parma is not a Member of the Dutch Royal House,indeed,
but,but he IS a member of the extended Dutch Royal Family all the same.
Don't forget.

The British sent more than adequate representatives, in all fairness. Some of the other declines are more odd to me, but do we know if all the reigning European houses were issued invitations?

I think posters here (and other boards) have an unrealistic view of who should attend an event. I loved Anne .. but we have to remember that she was never a reigning consort. Romania is not a monarchy. Attending the birthday party or the 60th anniversary of their wedding were not state occasions.

I think posters here (and other boards) have an unrealistic view of who should attend an event. I loved Anne .. but we have to remember that she was never a reigning consort. Romania is not a monarchy. Attending the birthday party or the 60th anniversary of their wedding were not state occasions.

Indeed Marlene,many have no clue whatshowever on protocol and who's who and what and what not.

It is that that keeps foreign Royals from attending more then anything else,
no hard feelings on either sides,but the metier knows the rules and lives up to that.

Last edited:
A lot of Archiducs of Habsbourg and Heads of Royal Houses such as Prussia and Baden and Russia. To me important Attendance.
Princess Tatania, Queen Sofia of Spain best Friend will represent her and Greece.

Maybe its just me but I would think that when someone such as Queen Anne passes away, the focus should be on the person whose life we celebrate and mourn our loss of their presence.

To be honest, I know very little about Queen Anne and I'm not gathering too much insight from the postings in this thread. Its been more about who is going and who is not going and what proper protocol is and isn't. The deceased has seemed to become more of a fixture like a centerpiece on the table rather than thoughts being shared of her lifetime.

Funerals are times we do gather together and remember those who have passed and it is mostly for the living but I do think that the deceased should be the central focus.

JMO

The Duke of Larma represents his cousin but it's not a member of the Dutch Royal Family.

The Duke of Parma is no member of the Royal House of the Netherlands, but as son of Princess Irene, grandson of Queen Juliana, nephew of Queen Beatrix, cousin of King Willem-Alexander he is very much a member of the royal family, of course.

The State Information Agency stated that the King will be represented by his cousin, the Duke of Parma, that HM's Ambassador, Ms Maris-Stella Ronner Grubačić will lay a floral wreath from the King and Queen and that she will sign the official book of condoleance in name of the King and representing the Kingdom of the Netherlands. So the Dutch seem appropriately represented: both the state (via the Ambassador) and the Royal House (via the Duke of Parma).

Last edited:
In advance to the funeral the Dutch journalist and royal expert Hans Jacobs (working for several newspapers) already explained the complicated protocol regarding the attendance. First of all it is a huge difference when a royal dies in a monarchy because it becomes a state affair. In essence there is no difference between a former reigning family as Romania and a former reigning family as Württemberg or Orléans. The element of the state, with which friendly and diplomatic relations are maintained, is not there.

This means that the attendance will depend on personal or family-relations. The Dutch royals went en masse to the funeral of Prince Kardam of Tirnovo. Why? Because they had personal friendship with that family. The Dutch journalist already predicted that the Duke of Parma would represent the King: he is a high-ranked royal himself, a cousin of the King ánd head of the House Bourbon-Parma, the paternal House of the late Queen. And so all reigning Royal Houses have to deal with this puzzle, and decide on the representation, so wrote the journalist.

Last edited:
All the three Benelux countries tried to be well represented.
The Duke of Parma will attend but what about the Princes of Bourbon-Pame descending from the brothers of Queen Ana?

All the three Benelux countries tried to be well represented.
The Duke of Parma will attend but what about the Princes of Bourbon-Pame descending from the brothers of Queen Ana?

I think we need to know how close and/or intensive the relations were between aunt Anne and her De Bourbon de Parme nephews, nieces and cousins. The reaction of the Duke of Parma that Anne was "a dear/darling aunt" and that she "meant a lot to his family" seems to indicate that they indeed had contacts. But of course maybe the contacts were more frequent to the one than to the other in that very extended family.

Last edited:
A lot of Archiducs of Habsbourg and Heads of Royal Houses such as Prussia and Baden and Russia. To me important Attendance.Princess Tatania, Queen Sofia of Spain best Friend will represent her and Greece.

I expected to see Princess Irene of Greece on the list as well btw.

We'll see who's there or not tomorrow,but it will be a well covered ceremony for the late Queen.

I think we need to know how close and/or intensive the relations were between aunt Anne and her De Bourbon de Parme nephews, nieces and cousins. The reaction of the Duke of Parma that Anne was "a dear/darling aunt" and that she "meant a lot to his family" seems to indicate that they indeed had contacts. But of course maybe the contacts were more frequent to the one than to the other in that very extended family.

The Duke of Parma is the Queen Ana's nephew from a cousin. We speak about the descendants of her brothers that live in France.

Back
Top Bottom