90th Birthday Celebrations of HM King Michael (25 October 2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a not reigning King it looks IMO not like a low-key affair. As a Royal watcher it´s of course more exciting.

You have no idea what you are talking about ... you are not one of the guests. You have no idea what the security would be if the Prince of Wales was here ... he was in Romania a few months ago.

That's a ridiculous statement. The Queen of Spain is there, are you suggesting she has no/little security? It's rude, plain and simple.

You have no idea what you are talking about ... you are not one of the guests. You have no idea what the security would be if the Prince of Wales was here ... he was in Romania a few months ago.

It wasn't suggested that the Prince of Wales should have attended. Instead it was said that it would have been nice if Prince Michael of Kent or a similar member of the family could have attended and I suppose that Prince Michael would not have more security than the Queen of Spain or the King of Sweden.

Thank you to everyone who has shared videos and photos. I've always found King Mihai's story to be very intriguing.
Adding my thanks too Cory.
It must be so overwhelming to King Mihai to return full circle and address the Romania parliament again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't suggested that the Prince of Wales should have attended. Instead it was said that it would have been nice if Prince Michael of Kent or a similar member of the family could have attended and I suppose that Prince Michael would not have more security than the Queen of Spain or the King of Sweden.

Exactly my point. At no time did I mention the Prince of Wales. The fact is that every family who hasn't sent a representative could have quite easily. Why not Prince Joachim or Princess Benedikte from Denmark? Princess Astrid or Princess Martha Louise from Norway?

The KIng and the Queen of Sweden did not attend.
I saw the Queen of Spain , the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Margareta and Isabelle von und zu Liechtenstein, Léa of belgium, Sarvath his wife and Muna of Jordan, Simeon of Bulgarie, Princes of Baden, Martin, Georg von Habsburg and wifes , Don Duarte of Portugal and wife, Grand duchess of Russia and son. Prince Alexander of Serbia and wife. I did not see the Heir of Prussia and others

So it seems this was a black tie affair, unfortunately. Can't wait for more pictures of tonight.

Well seeing as no one mentioned Charles attending, it doesn't matter. But, I don't see how the security Her Majesty Queen Silvia would differ from protecting Prince Charles. If he wanted to attend he would have.

But the fact that even minor royals of some families haven't bothered is a poor showing and I agree with Beatrix very unkind.

The main thing is that the whole Romanian nation declared again its love to its rightful King.

The main thing is that the whole Romanian nation declared again its love to its rightful King.
Could you tell(if you know ) about how many people came to meet the king?
Have you been there?
From what I've seen on the videos ,it seemed the people adore the King,then I wonder if could be a real possibility of monarchy restoration.

Thousands of people were in front of the Opera but it is difficult to say if a referendum would succed so quickly.All the Romanian Televisions spoke about the event and very many people watched the speech in thE parliament and the Gala Concert at the Opera.Only the followers of republican leader basescu are against the King (and even some of them respect the King).

The official dinner at CEC Palace is almost over.The members of the European Royal Families will leave in few minutes.

Live from the CEC Palace: Antena 3 LIVE TV

The Royal family returned to Elisabeta Palace.The King's Day is over but we will never forgwet it!Long live our gratious King!!!

Miguel de Rumana vuelve al Parlamento 64 aos despus - ABC.es

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/n...-invite-au-parlement-roumain-pour-ses-90-ans/

http://www.royalty.nu/news/11/10/MocRoma.html

All the main televisions speak about the event ( some of them putting polls about the restoration of monarchy) and people is enthusiastic about this special day.

Perhaps the bickering about the (non) attendance of some royals can cease so we can focus our attention on the guests who ARE there and on the King himself. Thank you!

-----------------------

Thanks for posting the pictures of the event. Esp. good to see that Queen Anne was well enough to attend.

After seeing the Opera Concert I realized how Queen Anne had a second place.
It was the King and his daughter the Crown Princess , and the Queen followed slowly after her husband helped by Radu.

I don’t think that it was the whole Romania as Cory wrote , but some royalists, diplomates and their aristocratic friends from everywhere who gave the opportunity to the old King to have a last glory in his old age .
The President and the most important persons of the country boycotted his «*istoric
discurs*» from the morning.
I did not see the country people of Romania, which is a pour country.
For the future the Crown princess did not grew up in Romania, seems not an easy person she married a Romanian who started an unsuccessful politic career .
I do not know. I will write do my friend who is an old Doctor in Bucharest .

Last edited:
The President and the most important persons of the country boycotted his «*istoric
discurs*» from the morning.

Basescu has had the misfortune to become friends with the Lambrino couple...so his absence was hardly surprising.

After seeing the Opera Concert I realized how Queen Anne had a second place.
It was the King and his daughter the Crown Princess , and the Queen followed slowly after her husband helped by Radu.

Noticed that, too. :ermm:
Why was Queen Sofia so confused when she arrived?

Glad I wasn't the only one who found it weird that Margarita and Anne switched roles. Anne in theory is suppose to be above her daughter but it seems she's not treated so.

I have read that Queen Anne is rather frail, and considering King Michael is ninety perhaps it was thought to be a better idea to pair Her Majesty with Prince Radu as His Royal Highness would be more able to assist the Queen walking up and down stairs, etc.

You will notice that Queen Anne did not arrive at the Opera House with the rest of the Royal Family, but was in fact already waiting inside for them. She was sitting in a chair on the upper floor with Queen Sofia standing next to her, along with Grand Duke Henri, I believe.

Last edited:
I thought that too Benjamin. Her Majesty doesn't look too steady on her feet and I think it was just thought safer to let her be able to take her time.

Agreed. I'm just happy to see that she is there at the event.

I'd like to recommend to my fellow posters to watch the documentary "A Royal Family" which follows the descendents of the Father-in-law of Europe. There is a wonderful story that Queen Anne shares about her mother, Crown Princess Martha of Norway and a hat.;)

This is a really poor show. A brief look through the engagements of the families listed shows that they all have at least two members of the family to send. All of them send invitations to the Romanian Royal Family and Crown Princess Margarita usually attends, it wouldn't hurt to return the compliment.

The royal families of Denmark, Norway and Sweden were just in New York over the weekend and might have been traveling back today.

For the British royal family- yes, they could have sent someone.

Agreed. I'm just happy to see that she is there at the event.

I'd like to recommend to my fellow posters to watch the documentary "A Royal Family" which follows the descendents of the Father-in-law of Europe. There is a wonderful story that Queen Anne shares about her mother, Crown Princess Martha of Norway and a hat.;)

HM Queen Ana's mother was late princess Margaret of Dennmark.

Only some of the followers of Basescu ( who is not popular at all in the country) ignored the event.The most important personalities of Romania were with the Royal Family.
In front of the Opera many people from all the social classes greeted the Royal Family with joy.
All the Televisions and newspapers spoke about the event.At the Antena 3 program dedicated to the event came the President of the Senate to comment (after the Opera event).
Even those who are not royalists were touched by this event.

I cannot believe that the whole country was touched by this Event !
But Romania allowed to celebrate with glittering the 90th birthday of their past old King because they knew that Royals would come and everybody should see this Event.
They did their very best , guest did not arrive in limousines but in rather small cars.
The Queen of Spain and other german Royals looked confused, lucky the Grand Duke of Luxembourg knew how to do, I think there was no «*maitre de Cérémonie "
But what a beautiful Opera Concert !
To day the Queen of Romania will learn that her brother Prince André de Bourbon Parma passed away.

I believe that prince André passed away earlier this month (no exact date has been announced AFAIK), so the Queen must have known it before the celebrations.

I cannot believe that the whole country was touched by this Event !
What do you really know about the Romanians and their feelings towards the King??

Back
Top Bottom