Prince Kardam seriously injured in Madrid car accident, August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update LadyFinn.
Elena looks so much like Q Sofia, as she gets older.

I am very sorry to hear of Prince Kardam´s and his wife Miriam Ungria`s awful accident. My prayers that both will recover totally. God bless them.

I just read in a reuters article that he is presently in a coma and has had surgery.Sometimes patients are placed in a chemically induced coma by the doctors for health reasons.They expect to know more in 3-5 days as they watch the regularity of his breathing and his other vital signs

Yeah- sometimes if you have a head injury even movement can injure it even more. Then also you can be confused or disoriented because of the head injury and risk hurting yourself more- I know when I had a concussion I kept trying to get up despite wobbling and falling repeatedly- :whistling:- so did my grandfather when he had a head injury.

Additionally, I can only say from prior experience that I had a badly broken hand and they talked about amputation as a possibility even though it was relatively easy to fix surgically- they always at least talk about it to prepare the family for the worst in case something bad happens like the bone doesn't heal, etc. I'm not saying that's necessarily so with HRH since they don't mention what type of injury it is only that it's severe. (I'd like to be more of an optimist.) Hopefully this is the case where they are simply preparing for the worst rather than assuming everything will go perfectly.

We can do incredible things with medicine these days though. =D I'm wishing the best for them.

Prayers and thoughts for s speedy recovery of both the Prince and Princess. May their families and friends know many people care about their ordeal from all corners of the globe.

Gosh this is so awful. I really hope they both recovery 100%.

Any updates? Today was supposed to be a crucial day for the prince's progress. Any news?

My oldest child was in a medically induced coma for four weeks. It is a very stressful time. I wish the Prince a full and speedy recovery as my son has had. :flowers:

It is really disgusting that someone would steal the personal property of paramedics at the scene of an accident.
What is this world coming to?

Also, until I saw a photo of the crashed car, I had presumed that the accident had happened out in the countryside. I was very surprised to see and read that the accident happened in a town.

to our Bulgarian Posters

How is the news covered in Bulgaria? Are Bulgarians saddened by the news or they just don't care.

Thanks

Why were Kardam and Miriam taken to different hospitals? I remember that the same thing happened when Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg were in a serious car accident in 2000. Is this common practice?

Why were Kardam and Miriam taken to different hospitals? I remember that the same thing happened when Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg were in a serious car accident in 2000. Is this common practice?

Sometimes, depending on the injuries accident victims are being transported to the nearest hospital that can treat their injuries. Head trauma and broken legs may not be deemed of equal severity. If memory serves me correctly, Prince Guillaume also suferred head trauma, while P Sibylla had broken bones in her legs.
BTW Any news on their condition??

No news, it begins to feel bad.

No news, it begins to feel bad.

I agree. It has been 10 days since the accident. One would think they would have some improvement to report. Is he still in a coma?
Do they have two little children? I hope all turns out well.

Actually, no news may be good news. Individuals who are in medically induced comas and those with head traumas (I think he probably sustained one) need a great deal or time. There are good days and bad days .. I have had personal family experience with this.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.

Suztav, sorry for your experience. Is it normal for someone to remain in a coma for 15 days whether it was induced or not?
I was under the impression that the longer the person remains in a coma the more damage it causes to the brain. I so hope I am wrong.

Suztav, sorry for your experience. Is it normal for someone to remain in a coma for 15 days whether it was induced or not?
I was under the impression that the longer the person remains in a coma the more damage it causes to the brain. I so hope I am wrong.

From my experience, a medically induced coma is a "better" long-term situation than normal coma. However, we've all heard stories about people successfully coming out of comas after many months, even years.

We will pray that is the case w/Prince Kardam.

In the above post (#45) one of the articles said that there has been no new information on his condition due to a special request from the family.
So I guess that is why we have not heard anything.
Hopefully they made the request in hopes that the press would leave the family alone during this time.
But I also think that if he takes a turn for the worse, they do not want the media to get hold of the information ahead of time?

I used to do communications consulting for a hospital that received a lot of celebrities, and there are several very good reasons to cut off ongoing updates in a situation like this:

Basic privacy. News that a public figure has been in an accident is generally considered "public" (although not always). But, details about their ongoing medical condition and treatment are a more private matter.

No news. There aren't really any changes and you want to discourage the media from obsessing over every little thing or jumping to incorrect conclusions

Second-guessing. You want to avoid having the media second-guess every decision the medical team or family makes, particular in life-or-death situations.

Dignity. If the patient makes a recovery, they may be very distressed to find out that every detail of their condition has been made public.

"What ifs." If the patient has a life-changing procedure or doesn't make a recovery, it can lead to accusations and speculation about "what could have been done." (Think about the endless discussion about whether they should have transported Diana to the hospital or treated her at the scene.)

Changes in guardianship. Sometimes the initial family members that appear at a person's side are not the ones that call the shots in the long run. Spouses' wishes trump the wishes of parents and siblings in most cases, for example.

Hospitals sometimes request it. Having media around is as much of a headache and pressure for most hospitals as it is for families. They disrupt other patients, staff, and visitors. They require the hospital to bring in additional security, which costs a lot. They create additional concerns about privacy and liability. And, they require a lot of staff time that can be better spent on treating patients and taking care of business.

Peace and quiet. If the media smells a big story somewhere, they probably won't go away regardless of the family's (or hospital's) wishes, but reinforcing the idea that the story "has died down" can help get them on to other things. (But it WILL calm down things on the Internet, since we don't have any medical details to hash over!)

So, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the "no new reports" announcement. I don't have much medical knowledge, but I do know that it's a good sign whenever someone with a head trauma makes it few the first few days -- that's probably the best news to focus on.

kal

The family of prince Kardam has decided, that they will not give any news, unless there is a significant improvement on the condition of prince Kardam and his wife Miriam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom