Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed al Maktoum

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by QueenB@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 9:47 pm
SC - what month and year W was that? W did a similar article on the castles and properties passed down from generations - where so many of those descendents are so broke they can barely afford to light the place...
Unless the descendents are business savvy a la Alwaleed and do something other than spend..... then..... W will end up doing a nice 'look what happened' article on them too... :huh:
the article was last year in the spring sometime (i think). it was about the Farish's and Saeed Suhail (i think that is how you spell his name). the article pretty much said that the old KY horse farms were going to be dustbins pretty soon because the social structure was so rigid-none of the newcomers wanted to deal with it and went to Ocala, Fla instead. but the people who were accepted in the social strata did not have the money to maintain their farms and operations at the level of the 'new money'-guys.

there was a quote from Suhail that he said something to the effect 'they don't even like the Maktoum's up there'. he was referring to the us vs them attitude of many 'old guard' people in KY.

Alwaleed needs to give a course at the learning annex to teach most royals a lesson in family planning and finance mangament.......

Thanks for the info SC...... there was some article online about how the Maktoums 'saved' the sport with their money..... but I didn't read it all..... is that in essence true then?
When did Mo become interested in horses?

Originally posted by QueenB@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 10:15 pm
Thanks for the info SC...... there was some article online about how the Maktoums 'saved' the sport with their money..... but I didn't read it all..... is that in essence true then?
When did Mo become interested in horses?
i don't know about the 'saved the sport' article. but their cash definately kept the sport liquid through a few tough years.

the article in W was about the social structure of kentucky and horse racing.

according to mo he has always been interested in horsies. read the 'biography' page on the godolphin website-it is quite interesting. very self serving but interesting none the less.

Originally posted by QueenB@Jul 3rd, 2004 - 2:40 am
But Ahmed must be a Billionaire - with all the work and investments he does..... and say he's single..... that's his money right? It's not 'family money'...... hold on though - is Mo's money - Mo's money or is it entire family money run by Mo?
I think Sheikh Ahmed's Le Meridien hotels are doing better (I dare not say) than Mo's Burj al-Arab. However as someone mentioned you have to understand as to why the Burj al-Arab, the tallest hotel in the world, was built. It's the centre of attraction/gravity. No one leaves Paris without catching a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, do they? Personally, I don't find the hotel attractive at all but the view from the top must be a truly amazing and an one-of-a-kind experience.

The Le Meridian hotels ran up in debt not long ago but vouched for a stronger performance this year. B)

Originally posted by La la+Jul 3rd, 2004 - 2:35 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (La la @ Jul 3rd, 2004 - 2:35 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-QueenB@Jul 3rd, 2004 - 1:29 am
He surely seems to be the richest Ahmed in town.... Lala, in terms of wealth is he anywhere near Mo? Or is it we hear more about Mo because he's more public and Ahmed is more 'mysterious'?
I don't think he's as rich as Mo, no way, but imagine Moness' superwealth divided between 17-27 kids. They wont "even" get one billion each. I doubt Mo's grandchildren will be able to lead the kind of lavish lifestyle that was once enjoyed by their forefathers.

See, Mo was SO right when he said the only significance between his father and him was the beard. At least he's honest. :cry: [/b][/quote]
Oh, also I forgot to mention that Haya's are on the way, Inshallah.

Silver Charm, Is the social structure of the Kentucky horse set as closed and conservative as the W article made it seem? I remember reading the article and it seemed as if outsiders were unwelcome. Maybe I'm wrong. Could you please elaborate? Thanks :rolleyes:

paloma:

i really don't know the answer. i'm just a fan of the sport and am not a 'principal'. i'm sure anyone with money is welcomed at the sales and the barns of the leading trainers but in regards to being 'welcomed' in society-i think it is a whole 'nother ball game.

i know mo is a personal friend of the queen of england so my guess is he does not 'invest' himself personally in the kentucky social scene. (also most of his 'advisors' in racing are english also. and his english operations are considerably more succesful than american.) so to answer your question-i don't know.

but i don't think anyone in the gulf is worried about it either. i have read that prince salaam (the guy who won the KYDerby with War Emblem) was well liked in Southern Cal (where he stabled his horses) and Kentucky. but prince salaam was very much in love with american racing.

the maktoums come across as quite course about the whole thing.

there are a ton of books with reference to the maktoums in racing and a book specifically written about godolphin. and there is another one that is published in dxb and it is the most butt-kissy crap on this planet.

PA: There's a new pic of SA in our Yahoo group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom