Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, General News 2: June 2015 - Sept 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the pictures - hmmm, why there were so many of them? it looks like someone was seriously stalking them :eek: - I did not get the impression that her phone was more important to her that her children. Madeleine was interracting with Leonore and she reprimanded her whenever she was in danger of venturing off. I think Madeleine looks like any other mother taking her kids on the walk and don't you know that most parents get pretty good at multitasking :whistling: Its good that she and Chris take their children on the walks, smartphones or not, its still quality time spent together.

Last edited:
I don't see Madeleine with her phone in any of the pictures with her children, so I'm not sure what either of you noticed. In the photos where Madeleine is on her phone, neither of her children is with her. I guess I'd need to see different photos to conclude Madeleine is a neglectful mother.

There are lots of pictures in the link (and from previous outings) where Madeleine seems more interested in her Starbucks coffee or her mobile phone (what is very London) but not the best thing to do in the presence of small kids. Chris often smokes around the children when they are outside, not the best example either.

Neglectful mother is a strong interpretation, Leonore seems to be a very lively child who requires a strong hand and a lot of attention because she is up to something all the time. Madeleine is certainly not the first mother who finds her mobile phone a welcome destraction.

There are lots of pictures in the link (and from previous outings) where Madeleine seems more interested in her Starbucks coffee or her mobile phone (what is very London) but not the best thing to do in the presence of small kids. Chris often smokes around the children when they are outside, not the best example either.

Neglectful mother is a strong interpretation, Leonore seems to be a very lively child who requires a strong hand and a lot of attention because she is up to something all the time. Madeleine is certainly not the first mother who finds her mobile phone a welcome destraction.

This is exactly what I mean. And it doesn't happen in London only, I see plenty of women with behavior like Madeleine around here in the Netherlands too. I'm even pretty sure it isn't "very London or Netherlands" behavior.
Sometimes it looks like a smartphone is glued to the woman's ear (not Madeleine per se), which makes me wonder just why that phone is so important.

Swedish gossip magazine writes that Madeleine is worried about Chris' way of life. The magazine writes that many people who attended at the National Day celebration in Skansen were wondering what has happened to him. One woman said that they hardly recognized Chris, he was so slim and goodlooking previously. Now he looked also tired. The magazine writes, that yes, something has happened when you compare photos between 2011 and 2017. He has put on some weight. Madeleine does long powerwalks but Chris due to his busy job has perhaps no time to take care of himself. He travels a lot and likes good food, he makes italian gourmet dinners at home or goes to a dinner at restaurants. Acccording to an information provider of Hänt i Veckan, Madeleine is worried about her husband and his lifestyle. She thinks he doesn't take care of himself. Everyone knows how dangerous it is to stress yourself and work too much.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I am sorry but I highly doubt Madeleine talks about this kind of thing with reporters or anyone with loose lips. Her friends sad would confide in wouldn't talk. :bang:

There is nothing wrong with Chris visibly that any man at his age hasn't gone through. He has gone from a thirty seven year old care free bachelor who watched his shape as he had the time and necessity. To a forty three year old with two small kids, a busy dork life, travel, and a wife. Work, kids, good food and less gym time. Also age is a factor, older you get, if you don't keep working out up it catches up quicker. The stress of media attention when in Sweden, or paps in London, wouldn't help.

Did Princess Madeleine share her concerns with the writer of this article? What a load of nonsense.

:previous:
Yes, what a load of nonsense!
But that's what gossip magazines write and they seem to thrieve on other people's misery, misfortune and spit negativity with glee. Its not good when someone is thin, so it must be due to anorexia, when someone has gained weight over the years, then reason to whine again. Personally I've never understood why people want to read those rags :whistling:
Okay, Chris has gained weight, he looks his years, he smokes, works too much, so should Madeleine leave her husband because of this and find younger model who' trim and fit :eek: :bang:

Okay, Chris has gained weight, he looks his years, he smokes, works too much, so should Madeleine leave her husband because of this and find younger model who' trim and fit :eek: :bang:

Tha's why the article is a no brainer, everyone who has eyes to see will notice that Chris does not look healthy, he has too much weight, smokes, his colour of face is unfortunate in most pictures, red like he is stressed. Often he looks scruffy with unkempt hair. Such an article could not be written about CP, for example.

Maybe it only looks that way and Chris is perfectly fine but I doubt it. Its easy to suggest that he has to look after himself in a better way, quit smoking and lose weight for a start.

Tha's why the article is a no brainer, everyone who has eyes to see will notice that Chris does not look healthy, he has too much weight, smokes, his colour of face is unfortunate in most pictures, red like he is stressed. Often he looks scruffy with unkempt hair. Such an article could not be written about CP, for example.

Maybe it only looks that way and Chris is perfectly fine but I doubt it. Its easy to suggest that he has to look after himself in a better way, quit smoking and lose weight for a start.

Unkempt hair?? Is it so unusual to see a guy with the hair that are not greased down like e.g. Carl Philips's or Daniel's, so anything different looks unkempt?
And Chris isn't the only one who has suddenly found that his weight has started to skyrocket and its no longer so easy to loose all those little by little collected additional kilos as you get older. You know: easy come, not so easy go. But for a bystander its the easiest thing to say, Loose Weight!
About his skin color: some people just have very fair and sensitive skin, so they have red face. E.g. my uncle is one of them even though he's not smoking, nor drinking, his blood pressure is normal but its just a curse of his skin (my mother has also "rosy cheeks" and never has to use blusher but i understand its more embarassing if man have red cheeks). I've noticed that prince Charles and princess Christina's son, Gustaf Magnusson also have rosy cheeks, and I feel sorry for them because it must be very uncomfortable when your face gets red very easily and people say nasty comments.
Personally I also think Chris would benefit a lot if he stopped smoking, drank less booze but who am I to dictate some strangers :D In the end he is the one who has to take this step for healthier life style and slow down. I really like this quote:
Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And I really doubt that those gossip magazines are in any way worried about Chris's health. It was just another story to gloat over and belittle someone!

Last edited:
The gossip magazines want to make money and especially Chris gives a lot of ammunition by the way he looks (smoking, unhealthy) or behaves (giving the finger makes him a bad boy forever).

The gossip magazines want to make money and especially Chris gives a lot of ammunition by the way he looks (smoking, unhealthy) or behaves (giving the finger makes him a bad boy forever).

Exactly, the gossip magazines want to make money and for some reason this kind of stories sell :bang:
Personally I'd rather read good and inspiring stories than about other people's misery and mishaps (lets not forget that at worst those stories aren't even true!). So I'm not even sorry, but those rags won't get any money from me and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's not supporting those unhealthy gossip magazines!

And I doubt Christopher O'Neill wants to be nor he does not pretend to be anyone's role model. Or am I wrong? Perhaps there are other middle-aged guys who are struggling with their weight rise and smoking, and they see that they are not alone with their problem? As to the way Chris behave: he flip the bird only once to some stalking photographer and he must be damned for this forever :eek:

Last edited:

Chris and Madde have a new dog??? ;-)

I think it is Carl Philip's and Sofia's dog, they came at a regular flight to Kalmar with Victoria and Daniel, without their dog. Madeleine and Chris came with the king, queen and Haga princesses with a government plane, it is easier to take a dog there.

General News about Madeleine, Chris and Family, Part 2: June 2015 -

Sweet of Chris to take care of CP And Sofia's dog! He always wins points in my books. [emoji4]
How come the family separated to travel and some took private flights while some traveled in public flights? Why not give victoria, Daniel, cp and Sofia also a government plane?

Sweet of Chris to take care of CP And Sofia's dog! He always wins points in my books. [emoji4]
How come the family separated to travel and some took private flights while some traveled in public flights? Why not give Victoria, Daniel, cp and Sofia also a government plane?

The King and the Crown Princess cannot travel on the same plane and often not in the same car (there are some exceptions to when they do) which is why they came on two separate trips. I also wonder if naptimes were taken into account in the flight times- which may explain why Carl Philip and Sofia came with Victoria and Daniel compared to the King, Queen, Madeleine and family.

The King and the Crown Princess cannot travel on the same plane and often not in the same car (there are some exceptions to when they do) which is why they came on two separate trips. I also wonder if naptimes were taken into account in the flight times- which may explain why Carl Philip and Sofia came with Victoria and Daniel compared to the King, Queen, Madeleine and family.

The government plane came to Kalmar only 20 minutes before the regular flight with which Carl Philip, Sofia, Victoria and Daniel came. Expressen's Elias Giertz came with the same plane and said that the plane was small and it was very full. The king went with the government plane. The Haga princesses had more comfortable to fly with it and restless Leonore too. Maybe there were not enough places for more than two and it was decided that they were Madeleine and Chris. It has been previously written that the government planes (there have been three of them) take 12-14 passengers. The King, queen, Madeleine, Chris, Haga princesses, Tord, that makes nine + two children. An aide-de-camp, security and possibly Margareta Thorgren came with it too.

From the royal family only the king as the Head of State can use the government plane. Victoria flew to Mandela's funeral at a government plane, but at the same plane was prime minister Reinfeldt who had the right to use the government plane.
And the king doesn't fly with the government plane every time when he goes from Stockholm to Kalmar or from Kalmar to Stockholm. Only is special cases, like yesterday.

Last edited:
Stoppa pressarna tells, that Madeleine had a nice dinner with her friends at restaurant Milles in Östermalm in Stockholm on Wednesday evening. With her at the round table sat among others Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb, Charlotte Kreuger Cederlund och Carl Philip's ex-girlfriend Emma Pernald.
Madeleine was in a good mood and toasted happily with her girlfriends.
Madeleines festkväll med tjejgänget _ Stoppa Pressarna

Articles in swedish press
Stoppa pressarna, 26th August
Madeleine's decision to move back to Stockholm surprised many. She and her talked-about husband Chris O'Neill had rooted well in London for a few years with their children. Leonore had even begun in preschool in England. The family lived a luxurious life in one of the city's finest areas. For Madeleine, life was more than pleasant. Shopping rounds at Harrods, Coffee latte in Hyde Park and walks in picturesque South Kensington. In the evenings, dinner at some of the world's top restaurants with fine wines in the glass.
But Madeleine wanted still come home. She missed both her family and her entourage, the innermost circle of loyal friends who surround her. In addition, the princess would definitely see her children in Swedish school.
- She was quite bored in London, it was too isolated and Madeleine longed for back to Östermalm. But above all, she wanted to create a security for her children, tells a person in the family's vicinity.
The occasionally sharp criticism that Madeleine lived luxury life with her apanage in London also contributed to her thoughts.
- The princess is most aware that her life abroad has made many Swedes to see red. She thinks it feels deeply unfair that the people think she is a spoiled and lazy individual. Both the court and she want to change that!
Chris, however, didn't want to settle in Sweden. He thrives best in the world city and, according to several sources, thinks that Stockholm is too provincial.
- He likes the restaurant life, but becomes easily restless on the days. He lacks the intense pulse that exists in London and New York.
In the end Madeleine got things on her way, and Chris now finds himself strolling more and more on the streets of Östermalm.
In Stockholm, Madeleine lives like any mother. She picks up her daughter at pre-school with the car and goes shopping at Hemköp at Östermalmstorg. When Leonore is at preschool, Madeleine takes it easy. Has coffee on the trendy favorite Crème which is used to having her as a guest. She is having lunch at Hotel Diplomat, where the staff also knows her well. Madeleine goes to the same restaurants and orders most of the same dishes from the menu.
- The favorite food is protein rich and often consists of a healthy omelette with salad or a boiled chicken bite, with mineral water or a cooling fruit beverage.
Madeleine is also seen on power walks in Djurgården with her friends Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb and Bathina Philipson. Madeleine's favorite restaurants are located close to the Royal Mews. On Wednesday she ate dinner with her besties in Milles. Madeleine's favorite in the glass is ice cold champagne with crushed ice.
Maddes nya vardagsliv i Stockholm _ Stoppa Pressarna

Expressen today
Madeleine and Chris O'Neill live a divided life between Sweden and London. With a foot in the royal world and a hectic life as a businessman, everyday life can be difficult to get together.
In August 2015 they started settling in London - where Chris grew up and there were several of the couple's friends. Since then, they have lived in Belgravia - where they live relatively alone, free from resurrection and curious people in town who recognize the Swedish princess couple.
Living in London is essentially a decision taken because of Chris. He works with Wilton Payments, which manages payment solutions for companies across Europe, and therefore he travels a lot. Having London as a base makes it easier for most of the trips to be done during the day.
Madeleine has many of her friends in Stockholm and Sweden - yet, she has for the sake of her husband and children been prepared to live abroad.
But Madeleine has had a demand: The children must be affiliated with Sweden. Partly because Madeleine herself likes Stockholm and Sweden so much, partly because of the respect to that the king gave Leonore and Nicolas prince and princess titles.
- To me it is important to talk about Sweden with them, pushing with the Swedish language. It is important that they get Swedish upbringing even though we live abroad. For example, we have a swedish nanny and swedish is a big part of our life, she has told Expressen.
Chris has had to compromise and the princess family now lives longer times in Stockholm. That's why Leonore started Swedish preschool. The idea is that she will be affiliated with Sweden during the periods the family is here. When the family lives in London, she goes to preschool there.
According to Margareta Thorgren, Chris will also stay with Madeleine and the children when they live from time to time in Stockholm.
- Chris O'Neill is a businessman and full time worker. The fact that the family spends long periods in Sweden doesn't affect his work. He still does business trips on a regular basis. The difference is where the family has its base and where he goes when work is over, says Thorgren.
During the week, the court also told that Nicolas is expected to start preschool in London this fall. Eventually he will also be educated in Sweden and be able to attend preschool when the family is in Stockholm.
Madeleines och Chris beslut om framtiden _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Last edited:
Madeleine and Chris were on Saturday evening at japanese dinner/night club Kasai in Östermalm in Stockholm. The visitors are entertained with dancing geishas at the club. Some visitor recognized Madeleine and Chris and filmed them.
Här festar Madeleine och Chris O’Neill på exklusiv Stockholmsklubb _ Aftonbladet

Stoppa pressarna tells, that Madeleine and Chris arrived to the club at 23.30 with among others their friends Nathalie and Dag Werner and Patrick Sommerlath. The gang was first showed to one of the better tables near the dance floor, but the princess couple and their entourage wanted rather be placed further on a special VIP stand.
Chris & Maddes vilda fest inatt _ Stoppa Pressarna

Last edited:
Articles in swedish press
Stoppa pressarna, 26th August
Madeleine's decision to move back to Stockholm surprised many. She and her talked-about husband Chris O'Neill had rooted well in London for a few years with their children. Leonore had even begun in preschool in England. The family lived a luxurious life in one of the city's finest areas. For Madeleine, life was more than pleasant. Shopping rounds at Harrods, Coffee latte in Hyde Park and walks in picturesque South Kensington. In the evenings, dinner at some of the world's top restaurants with fine wines in the glass.
But Madeleine wanted still come home. She missed both her family and her entourage, the innermost circle of loyal friends who surround her. In addition, the princess would definitely see her children in Swedish school.
- She was quite bored in London, it was too isolated and Madeleine longed for back to Östermalm. But above all, she wanted to create a security for her children, tells a person in the family's vicinity.
The occasionally sharp criticism that Madeleine lived luxury life with her apanage in London also contributed to her thoughts.
- The princess is most aware that her life abroad has made many Swedes to see red. She thinks it feels deeply unfair that the people think she is a spoiled and lazy individual. Both the court and she want to change that!
Chris, however, didn't want to settle in Sweden. He thrives best in the world city and, according to several sources, thinks that Stockholm is too provincial.
- He likes the restaurant life, but becomes easily restless on the days. He lacks the intense pulse that exists in London and New York.
In the end Madeleine got things on her way, and Chris now finds himself strolling more and more on the streets of Östermalm.
In Stockholm, Madeleine lives like any mother. She picks up her daughter at pre-school with the car and goes shopping at Hemköp at Östermalmstorg. When Leonore is at preschool, Madeleine takes it easy. Has coffee on the trendy favorite Crème which is used to having her as a guest. She is having lunch at Hotel Diplomat, where the staff also knows her well. Madeleine goes to the same restaurants and orders most of the same dishes from the menu.
- The favorite food is protein rich and often consists of a healthy omelette with salad or a boiled chicken bite, with mineral water or a cooling fruit beverage.
Madeleine is also seen on power walks in Djurgården with her friends Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb and Bathina Philipson. Madeleine's favorite restaurants are located close to the Royal Mews. On Wednesday she ate dinner with her besties in Milles. Madeleine's favorite in the glass is ice cold champagne with crushed ice.
Maddes nya vardagsliv i Stockholm _ Stoppa Pressarna

Expressen today
Madeleine and Chris O'Neill live a divided life between Sweden and London. With a foot in the royal world and a hectic life as a businessman, everyday life can be difficult to get together.
In August 2015 they started settling in London - where Chris grew up and there were several of the couple's friends. Since then, they have lived in Belgravia - where they live relatively alone, free from resurrection and curious people in town who recognize the Swedish princess couple.
Living in London is essentially a decision taken because of Chris. He works with Wilton Payments, which manages payment solutions for companies across Europe, and therefore he travels a lot. Having London as a base makes it easier for most of the trips to be done during the day.
Madeleine has many of her friends in Stockholm and Sweden - yet, she has for the sake of her husband and children been prepared to live abroad.
But Madeleine has had a demand: The children must be affiliated with Sweden. Partly because Madeleine herself likes Stockholm and Sweden so much, partly because of the respect to that the king gave Leonore and Nicolas prince and princess titles.
- To me it is important to talk about Sweden with them, pushing with the Swedish language. It is important that they get Swedish upbringing even though we live abroad. For example, we have a swedish nanny and swedish is a big part of our life, she has told Expressen.
Chris has had to compromise and the princess family now lives longer times in Stockholm. That's why Leonore started Swedish preschool. The idea is that she will be affiliated with Sweden during the periods the family is here. When the family lives in London, she goes to preschool there.
According to Margareta Thorgren, Chris will also stay with Madeleine and the children when they live from time to time in Stockholm.
- Chris O'Neill is a businessman and full time worker. The fact that the family spends long periods in Sweden doesn't affect his work. He still does business trips on a regular basis. The difference is where the family has its base and where he goes when work is over, says Thorgren.
During the week, the court also told that Nicolas is expected to start preschool in London this fall. Eventually he will also be educated in Sweden and be able to attend preschool when the family is in Stockholm.
Madeleines och Chris beslut om framtiden _ Kungligt _ Expressen

I think it is confusing and negative for the kids to have "two homes" in Sweden and in London and move back and forth throughout the year, even attending different preschools in the two countries (which is what I got from the article that is rather confusing).

In my opinion, Madeleine should make up her mind and pick a permanent base to live. I have no doubt that she wants to move back permanently to Sweden, but Chris seems to be an obstacle. If they can't sort that out, they should consider splitting. I am sorry to be so blunt, but that is how I see it.

I think it is confusing and negative for the kids to have "two homes" in Sweden and in London and move back and forth throughout the year, even attending different preschools in the two countries (which is what I got from the article that is rather confusing).

In my opinion, Madeleine should make up her mind and pick a permanent base to live. I have no doubt that she wants to move back permanently to Sweden, but Chris seems to be an obstacle. If they can't sort that out, they should consider splitting. I am sorry to be so blunt, but that is how I see it.
If they can make their marriage work living in two cities then why not? Chris's business interests are in London. Madeleine's "business interests" are in Sweden. I wish them success.

:previous: Living in two places is a common situation for many cosmopolitan workers in cities like London, Paris, NY, etc. Only in the majority of places they live in the city during the week/term/semester etc. and at home in the country at weekends and such. For Madeleine and Chris this just means a different country, Sweden.

IMO they cannot go on switching the kids between schools, preschool is more or less irrelevant but when the kids start with the 'real' education wherever the school may be that's their home city. When the kids grow older they need friends, stability.

Living in two places is a common situation for many cosmopolitan workers in cities like London, Paris, NY, etc. Only in the majority of places they live in the city during the week/term/semester etc. and at home in the country at weekends and such. For Madeleine and Chris this just means a different country, Sweden.

I agree. :flowers: Plus the air travel time between London and Stockholm is not really that prohibitive. IMO. It's a commute. (Say I, a Californian!) They will just factor it into their lives.

IMO they cannot go on switching the kids between schools, preschool is more or less irrelevant but when the kids start with the 'real' education wherever the school may be that's their home city. When the kids grow older they need friends, stability.

Agree this can get dicey :ermm: but as long as there are strong rhythms in the home life (in my experience) it can be done (with the little ones). Once they are older, it definitely gets more complicated. Maybe they are thinking of a boarding school scenario? Is that common for the Swedish royals?

Maybe they are thinking of a boarding school scenario? Is that common for the Swedish royals?

Both the King & Carl Philip spent their high school years at boarding school but neither the King's sisters nor his daughters did.

This thread has been closed. You can find the new thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom