Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, General News 2: June 2015 - Sept 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Queen Silvia go grocery shopping in Sweden ? Maybe she does, but, in the UK at least, one wouldn't expect an HRH to be seen in such ordinary circumstances.

My point is that, while in Florida, Madeleine is not HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, but rather Mrs O'Neill. The way she switches between those two roles is what draws my attention.

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge was photographed grocery shopping in Anglesley and HRH Prince Harry was in pictures grocery shopping in London. So why not? Madeleine may go grocery shopping in London but hasn't been photographed or some other story/pictures were of more interest at the time.

Last edited:
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge was photographed grocery shopping in Anglesley and HRH Prince Harry was in pictures grocery shopping in London. So why not? Madeleine may go grocery shopping in London but hasn't been photographed or some other story/pictures were of more interest at the time.

Madeleine has photographed a few times shopping at Waitrose

Does Queen Silvia go grocery shopping in Sweden ? Maybe she does, but, in the UK at least, one wouldn't expect an HRH to be seen in such ordinary circumstances.

My point is that, while in Florida, Madeleine is not HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, but rather Mrs O'Neill. The way she switches between those two roles is what draws my attention.
I have no idea if Queen Silvia ever does any grocery shopping but if she doesnt its more about not having time or security issues than things like dignity. Id say Swedes in general like & take pride in the fact that Daniel takes Estelle on rides in the subway & that members of the Royal family are seen moving about the country quite undisturbed.
The King & Queen was seen at one of Stockholms bigger departement stores a few years ago doing their Christmas shopping & in neighbouring Denmark Queen Margrethe has often been seen doing her shopping in stores close to Amalienborg.

XeniaCasaraghi, you have a good point and, yes, it would be lovely if this mud slinging would stop. But will it really stop? Or perhaps giving up her title would start even bigger dirt campaign against her [and the rest of the family]? Weren't people kinda offended that Chris didn't want to become a prince, that he thinks too much of himself to merely cut ribbons for the rest of his life? So I'm afraid that if she did give up her title for real, then there would be lots of scoffing comments a'la, "she's ungrateful brat who thinks she's too good for the royal family and Swedish people", etc, etc, etc, and she'd be even bigger looser in the end. Don't get why she always has to proove her presence and right to be?
:

You're right I didn't think of that, I just imagined Mad and Chris living quietly away from all of it and just showing up at special events like birthdays. If the problem is only how she deals with events I think that might be legitimate. She shouldn't cancel in the last minute especially if its just to be with her kids and they're not ill or in the hospital.
It seems to me that some would be happy of C&M broke up because hes not impressed with the royal thing and wanted to maintain his life and work and how dare he not want a title.

Last edited:
:previous:
Again I don't think the issue was that Chris did not want a royal title.I don't think he can have such a title as he is not a Swedish citizen. Please feel free to correct if I am misinformed.

"...Should not hold a business of responsibility within business" yet, prince Carl Philip was allowed to enter into the design business? But then, if royal don't have an appanage and has family to support, then somehow money has to be earned.
Personally I think its good that Chris wanted to continue earning his own money because less burden on Swedish tax-payers. But I think Chris didn't expect how much marrying a princess will bring attention to himself and his business, so things may be complicated from time to time...hope things will settle.

To me the main problem with Madeleine is and has always been her cherrypicking attitude. She gives the strong impression that she wants the cake and also eat it. Even when she lived permanently in Sweden she behaved the same way and back then she wasn't married and with two little children. Nothing has changed from then. She keeps to be a representative of Sweden without representing.
For example, some weeks ago there has been a terrorist attack in Stockholm that left 5 people dead. Few days later all of the members of the SRF were at the commemoration, except her. She was in London and has written a condolence message on her FB page, but it was her duty to make an effort, to take a plane and be present to show her respect and support to the people affected by the attack. It's this kind of behaviour that, at the end of the day, made Madeliene so unpopular in Sweden.
In the TV interview with Chris, she talked about working for Swedish trade in UK, to date she has done next to nothing in this field and her charity commitment for Childhood has been quite light.
True, tabloids are very hard on her (and Chris), but honestly she is doing nothing to ease the situation.
About loosing her HRH, I don't think she should be forced to renounce it but at the same time she have to be conscious that pepople will keep on asking why a princess of Sweden should maintain a royal title without really representing (or representing only when it suits her) and being rarely seen in Sweden.
Should Madeleine loose her title because she doesn’t work enough? No
Should she be esteemed and appreciated as royal representative because, you know, she is princess after all? Again no.
A lot of people see the royal titles and even more the perks that come with them as something royals shoud somehow to deserve, to gain. Right or wrong, it's the way it works today in the public opinions with their feelings towards royal families.
About Madeleine's commitments and the royal calendar: they have always been loaded when she has made publiccommitments. If, as it has been said, the court is doing a bad job on putting engaments, this is true for all the members of the family (perhaps with the exception of the king and queen) and not just for her.
On the comparison between her and CP,
even with his faults, CP seems now a bit more focused and a bit more seriously committed on royal duties. While I’m between them who don’t see CP and Sofia as great representatives for Sweden, I have to admit that at least it’s clear what is their role and what it will be in the upcoming years: the spare couple for helping Victoria and Daniel when CG and Silvia won’t have anymore the amount of committments they have now.
Nobody can really say what will be Madeleine's role within the RSF in the future. And this is something that will keep to create inevitably discussions.

"...Should not hold a business of responsibility within business" yet, prince Carl Philip was allowed to enter into the design business? But then, if royal don't have an appanage and has family to support, then somehow money has to be earned.
Personally I think its good that Chris wanted to continue earning his own money because less burden on Swedish tax-payers. But I think Chris didn't expect how much marrying a princess will bring attention to himself and his business, so things may be complicated from time to time...hope things will settle.

This has been discussed previously at this forum. There is a press release from the court
Policy on the Royal Family's ownership of companies
Members of the Royal Family can be owners or co-owners of business-related companies. There is also no constitutional hindrance for the Royal Family to own shares or parts of companies. However, the royal family is restrictive in engaging in business activities.
The Royal Courts' policy on corporate affairs states, among other things, that the Royal Family may not:
- Be members of profitmaking companies' boards
- Be Ceo or Vice Ceo
- Be full-time employees
Policy kring Kungafamiljens ägande av bolag - Sveriges Kungahus

Carl Philip isn't a full-time employee at Bernadotte & Kylberg. He isn't the ceo or vice ceo of it and he isn't a member of the board.

How about if Madeleine would have married Jonas? Was there already some announcement by the court if Jonas would be titled? He was partner in a law practice so would at least fall under the prohibited 'be full time employee' criterium.
I wonder if Jonas intended to give up practicing law in favor of executing royal duties. In modern times, that can hardly be expected from anyone, IMO.
In the Dutch RF, King Willem-Alexander's brothers are regular employees/business owners/ advisors even as they are titled as princes. No one ever raised concern on their positions and they do not get an appanage either.

How about if Madeleine would have married Jonas? Was there already some announcement by the court if Jonas would be titled? He was partner in a law practice so would at least fall under the prohibited 'be full time employee' criterium.
I wonder if Jonas intended to give up practicing law in favor of executing royal duties. In modern times, that can hardly be expected from anyone, IMO.
In the Dutch RF, King Willem-Alexander's brothers are regular employees/business owners/ advisors even as they are titled as princes. No one ever raised concern on their positions and they do not get an appanage either.

The only thing I can find was actually a TRF Royal News post from 2009. It says, "After the wedding Jonas Bergstrom’s title will be “Duke of Gastrikland”". So, nothing about HRH or Prince, but this indicates that he was going to take on a title.

Madeleine & Jonas - Engagement Interview | The Royal Forums

Margareta Thorgren said to Svensk Damtidning, that Madeleine celebrates her birthday privately with her family in London.
Så ska Madeleine fira sin födelsedag _ Svensk Damtidning

Yes. And two days ago, it was announced that she would spend the summer here. I'm fine with her spending her birthday where she wants to, it's not at state event. But she and the rest of the family could really, really, really need some consistency and not change their plans from day to day.

Prinsessan Madeleine tillbringar sommaren 2017 i Sverige | Kungligt | Expressen

Yes. And two days ago, it was announced that she would spend the summer here. I'm fine with her spending her birthday where she wants to, it's not at state event. But she and the rest of the family could really, really, really need some consistency and not change their plans from day to day.

Prinsessan Madeleine tillbringar sommaren 2017 i Sverige | Kungligt | Expressen
Expressen said theyd spend the summer in Sweden and at the same time quoted Margaretha Thorgren who said that the couple would spend big parts of the summer here. That doesnt equal every day.

A tip is to only rarely trust in what Expressen writes about the Royal family. That tabloid is a pile of trash.

Last edited:
Stoppa Presserna "can now reveal" how Madeleine secretly celebrated her birthday in Sweden a week ago.
Then her best friend Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb invited to a lovely birthday party where her friends also congratulated the princess. The girls' lunch took place at the trendy restaurant Milles on Strandvägen. On the menu stood the restaurant's most favourite dishes; Chicken paillard with soybean butter, coriander, avocado, chili lime and roasted cashew nuts.
Quite a lot of wine and rosé were drunk and the women took coffee with spirits and cream, so-called hot shots.
- The gang really had a lovely day. They toasted and laughed all the time, tells an eyewitness.
Among the invited guests were the innermost circle around Madeleine: there were seen among others TV-profile Bathina Philipson, author Denise Rudberg, broker Tin-Tin af Burén, entrepreneur Gunilla von Platen and Clara Herngren. Also Prince Carl Philip's ex-girlfriend Emma Pernald and Ulf Ekberg's partner Johanna Aybar were there.
During the celebration came an exotic surprise. A belly dancer had been smuggled in. When the rhythmic and oriental tones suddenly came out of the speakers and the dancer entered the floor, a big jubilee broke out.
- Madeleine roared with laughter. It was really a festive mood, says the eyewitness.
Madeleines exotiska födelsedagsfest _ Stoppa Pressarna

Last edited:
Madeleine with Leonore and shopping on 8th June
"Princess Madeleine of Sweden seen on her wedding anniversary shopping for makeup from laura mercier in Peter Jones in Chelsea whilst husband chris spent the day at meetings. Looks like this anniversary they are doing their own things!"
https://www.profimedia.cz/photo-ban...his/336335480?searchPhrase=princess+madeleine

Nicolas is also seen at this gallery, 8th June
"3 year old Princess Leonore dices with danger as she takes to the streets of london on her scooter. Twice Leonore scoots straight onto the busy main road without looking or stopping, luckily mum Princess Madeleine is on hand to grab her and pull her back. Madeleine is seen dropping all her bags to grab Leonore to stop her going into the road she then points at the crossing signs in an attempt to teach Leonore some road awareness, later Prince Nicolas is seen out walking with his mum and her looking a lot more relaxed after her fraught walk with Leonore."
https://www.profimedia.cz/photo-ban...his/336335412?searchPhrase=princess+madeleine

Madeleine, Chris and children out on 10th June + some photos of their wedding (another outing than at previous photos)
https://www.profimedia.cz/photo-ban...his/336114780?searchPhrase=Princess+Madeleine

Last edited:
Doing their own thing :whistling: Suggestions of trouble again :bang:

June 8 was a weekday. Not shocking a man with a job was at work. Maybe they celebrated this weekend. Or went out for dinner that night. But better media to try and stir up issues.

Cute pics of the kids. Leonor certainly had her mother on her toes.

The photos of Madleine, Chris and the children are nice - Nicolas is looking a lot like his big sister Leonore now! She's getting so grown up as well, her hair also seems to be longer now.

The little Prince Nicolas is very cute! :flowers:
Its indeed very cute picture of Nicolas.
It would be great if there will be new picture(s) for Nicolas's 2nd birthday on 15 June.

Little Leonore certainly has her mother on her toes, she's one of those children parent need to keep an eye on all the time. I have nephew the same age as Leonore and I don't understand how they can be so energetic and have no fear of dangers. But they are so cute and give so much energy back to you.

Last edited:
:previous: I would be shocked if there weren't new photos. Madeleine has been great from the start about sharing photos. And on the court website for birthdays, like her siblings. Leonor and his cousins had birthday photos, I don't see Nicolas being different.

Madeleine with Leonore and shopping on 8th June
"Princess Madeleine of Sweden seen on her wedding anniversary shopping for makeup from laura mercier in Peter Jones in Chelsea whilst husband chris spent the day at meetings. Looks like this anniversary they are doing their own things!"
https://www.profimedia.cz/photo-ban...his/336335480?searchPhrase=princess+madeleine

Nicolas is also seen at this gallery, 8th June
"3 year old Princess Leonore dices with danger as she takes to the streets of london on her scooter. Twice Leonore scoots straight onto the busy main road without looking or stopping, luckily mum Princess Madeleine is on hand to grab her and pull her back. Madeleine is seen dropping all her bags to grab Leonore to stop her going into the road she then points at the crossing signs in an attempt to teach Leonore some road awareness, later Prince Nicolas is seen out walking with his mum and her looking a lot more relaxed after her fraught walk with Leonore."
https://www.profimedia.cz/photo-ban...his/336335412?searchPhrase=princess+madeleine

Madeleine, Chris and children out on 10th June + some photos of their wedding (another outing than at previous photos)
https://www.profimedia.cz/photo-ban...his/336114780?searchPhrase=Princess+Madeleine

I guess Madeleine was paying more attention to her phone (filming her daughter) than looking what she was doing what can be a dangerous thing.
https://www.profimedia.cz/e/search/sp.princess madeleine/

I guess Madeleine was paying more attention to her phone (filming her daughter) than looking what she was doing what can be a dangerous thing.
https://www.profimedia.cz/e/search/sp.princess madeleine/

Oh, come on. There are pictures in the link you shared showing the moment in which Leonore had to be stopped from going into traffic. Madeline did not have her phone out. She was watching Leonore, seems to have been touching her shoulder and waving her farther onto the sidewalk, but the girl bolted as rambunctious kids sometimes do despite a parents' best effort.

The photos with Madeline on the phone are very clearly from another outing, in a different location; it's not clear from those photos if they were even right next to a street or were perhaps in a more protected place where you can let a child venture more freely.

:previous: And yet I agree with Duke of Marmalade and it was also the first thing that I noticed. Madeleine is very little photographed without her smartphone and a lot of the time she is with (one of) her children.
It gives off the impression that her phone is more important to her than her children are. And there are countless women (but also men) who behave that way. And in certain cases it is dangerous indeed.

For some children who need a lot of attention this can be potentially damaging behavior. And as Leonore already looks like a child that could really use a ferm hand, she would benefit more from a fully present mother rather than a smartphone-present mother.

I am not of the same opinion about Chris, he does seem more involved in his children. I have seen little to no photos of him with his smartphone with his children around.

:previous: After looking at a lot of photos of Madeleine in public with her family it seems she and her phone are not easily separated. I keep wondering if that phone goes on the bench when the family sit down to dinner or spend time together as a family. Those phones seem to dictate life these days.

:previous: And yet I agree with Duke of Marmalade and it was also the first thing that I noticed. Madeleine is very little photographed without her smartphone and a lot of the time she is with (one of) her children.
I don't see Madeleine with her phone in any of the pictures with her children, so I'm not sure what either of you noticed. In the photos where Madeleine is on her phone, neither of her children is with her. I guess I'd need to see different photos to conclude Madeleine is a neglectful mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom