Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, General News 2: June 2015 - Sept 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree this can be quite intrusive. I don't buy the argument that if your father is a monarch, you have no right to privacy when you are out and about.

I don't understand the problem, we are talking about public people in a public space being photographed - I don't see anyone harrassed in the pictures.

You just can't switch from public to private when it suits you, it might not be fair but this is reality.

Expressen writes about Chris's business trip to Sweden yesterday, that he landed to Arlanda just before eleven. He was taken to airport's Vip-service and after that he was taken to Stockholm with a car belonging to the Royal Court/Royal Mews. Expressen also repeats the story about that Chris's company has had million losses.
Chris O'Neill på blixtvisit i Sverige – utan Madeleine _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Hmm, is this true? I don't live in Sweden, I have nothing to do with the country and have no Swedish friends at all - but I am interested in their royal family and always enjoy new pics.

Why should the Londoners think different? There will also live some people who like news about foreign royalty and some don't.

On topic - the pictures are lovely. Number 6 is the first one I see the kids interact. Very cute!
Yes it is true. Majority of Londoners are unaware of foreign royalty. Of course, a few of them are royal watchers but most pictures of Madeleine's family are taken by the Swedish press. UK's media outlets are either unaware or can't be bothered to pick up information of Madeleine unless it involves a popular member of the BRF ( like William, Kate or Harry ).

Expressen writes about Chris's business trip to Sweden yesterday, that he landed to Arlanda just before eleven. He was taken to airport's Vip-service and after that he was taken to Stockholm with a car belonging to the Royal Court/Royal Mews. Expressen also repeats the story about that Chris's company has had million losses.

That is exactly why Chris will never be seen as a private person by the media - he is the King's son in law and will get the royal treatment whenever it suits.

If he is really a private person, how about leaving the airport as Joe Average queuing up for a taxi or paying for a private shuttle service.

I feel a little sorry for Chris. Whatever he does, he gets negative press :ermm: So he visited Stockholm without Madeleine...used VIP service...Royal Court's car....so what? He's expected to attend at the royal events but if there's something done for the king's son-in-law for a change..its a big deal. And is it sure the Swedish tax-payers paid for his plane ticket and all the services provided?
Chris could have taken the title when he married princess Madeleine, he and his family would have been supported by the Swedish tax payers and in return he would have attended some official events per a week or month and his life would have been secured and taken care of. But he is not the prince. Yet, he attends at many royal events and supports his wife whenever he can and his work schedule allows.
Chris didn't go for easier way. He wanted to earn his money, support his family. It seemed honest doing and I like him for this. And lets be honest: little country like Sweden doesn't need so many full-time working royals! As it is there are not much work events for Madeleine, Carl Philip, Sofia and Daniel, so if there had been another full-time royal, well, its overkill.
I fear Chris did not expect for all the media attention he staarts to attract. There have been so many gossip articles about him and all those [dubious] stories could very easily affect Chris's business, make things more complicated and bring on losses. As I haven't seen Chris's company's book-keeping, then I don't know for sure whether Chris's company is in any big financial trouble, but I'm sure he's doing his best to come out of it if there are torubles. He looks like a man who's purposeful and wants to succeed.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I feel a little sorry for Chris. Whatever he does, he gets negative press :ermm: So he visited Stockholm without Madeleine...used VIP service...Royal Court's car....so what? He's expected to attend at the royal events but if there's something done for the king's son-in-law for a change..its a big deal. And is it sure the Swedish tax-payers paid for his plane ticket and all the services provided?
Chris could have taken the title when he married princess Madeleine, he and his family would have been supported by the Swedish tax payers and in return he would have attended some official events per a week or month and his life would have been secured and taken care of. But he is not the prince. Yet, he attends at many royal events and supports his wife whenever he can and his work schedule allows.
Chris didn't go for easier way. He wanted to earn his money, support his family. It seemed honest doing and I like him for this. And lets be honest: little country like Sweden doesn't need so many full-time working royals! As it is there are not much work events for Madeleine, Carl Philip, Sofia and Daniel, so if there had been another full-time royal, well, its overkill.
I fear Chris did not expect for all the media attention he staarts to attract. There have been so many gossip articles about him and all those [dubious] stories could very easily affect Chris's business, make things more complicated and bring on losses. As I haven't seen Chris's company's book-keeping, then I don't know for sure whether Chris's company is in any big financial trouble, but I'm sure he's doing his best to come out of it if there are torubles. He looks like a man who's purposeful and wants to succeed.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Well said! I've seen worse wastage of taxpayers money by politician family members

I don't see the Expressen article as negative but I am not so naive to believe that there will not be negative fallout. Chris used a royal resource as part of a private business endeavor, it's not a big deal in terms of costs but it is (or could be) an optics issue, and I know in some locales that would be a big no-no for a government (or quasi-government) resource to be used this way.

Regarding living in London, I really hope that there is no quote from Madeleine or Chris indicating that they thought that, of all places, London provided them with greater privacy. There are reasons for them to be based out of London but privacy, and in particular not being a paparazzi target, is not one of them.

I don't see the Expressen article as negative but I am not so naive to believe that there will not be negative fallout. Chris used a royal resource as part of a private business endeavor, it's not a big deal in terms of costs but it is (or could be) an optics issue, and I know in some locales that would be a big no-no for a government (or quasi-government) resource to be used this way.

Regarding living in London, I really hope that there is no quote from Madeleine or Chris indicating that they thought that, of all places, London provided them with greater privacy. There are reasons for them to be based out of London but privacy, and in particular not being a paparazzi target, is not one of them.

Gossip web magazine Stoppa Pressarna has taken note on Expressen's article and attacks Chris again.
Chris O'Neill's shady luxury trip - without Madeleine
In great secrecy Chris O'Neill traveled away from London - without Madeleine. The husband of the princess traveled like a king through the VIP lounge and with his own private chauffeur. Now his extravagant travel habits are questioned by people in court.
During the journey Chris O'Neill traveled more like royalty than an ordinary businessman. When the plane arrived the husband of the princess was transferred directly to the airport's luxurious VIP lounge, where he was picked up by a chauffeur who drove him to Stockholm.
According to Expressen, the car was from the Royal Mews - that is, one of the king's cars. That Chris uses the royal benefits for his own purposes both surprises and upsets the people in the court.
- He gave up a prince title in order to continue with his company. But this now means that he uses the royal family's privileges for himself. If Christopher was now on a business trip, his own company should have been responsible for both the trip and the transportation to Stockholm. This is murky and smells so clearly bad, says an employee with whom Stoppa Pressarna has talked with.
Chris skumma lyxresa – utan Madeleine _ Stoppa Pressarna

I agree the Stoppa Pressarna article is negative (and dubious) but that is the nature of that publication.

Gossip web magazine Stoppa Pressarna has taken note on Expressen's article and attacks Chris again.
In great secrecy Chris O'Neill traveled away from London - without Madeleine. The husband of the princess traveled like a king through the VIP lounge and with his own private chauffeur. Now his extravagant travel habits are questioned by people in court.
During the journey Chris O'Neill traveled more like royalty than an ordinary businessman. When the plane arrived the husband of the princess was transferred directly to the airport's luxurious VIP lounge, where he was picked up by a chauffeur who drove him to Stockholm.
According to Expressen, the car was from the Royal Mews - that is, one of the king's cars. That Chris uses the royal benefits for his own purposes both surprises and upsets the people in the court.
- He gave up a prince title in order to continue with his company. But this now means that he uses the royal family's privileges for himself. If Christopher was now on a business trip, his own company should have been responsible for both the trip and the transportation to Stockholm. This is murky and smells so clearly bad, says an employee with whom Stoppa Pressarna has talked with.

In essence, this article is questioning the right of the monarch to lend a car and driver of his to his own son-in-law.

Wow this is so silly. Trust me, taking somebody who's a VIP to the airport VIP lounge (which is by the way, never all that great...especially if they're airport VIP lounges and not VIP lounges by airline companies for business and first class travelers) and then having a car for that VIP is strictly protocol. It's afforded to retired Ambassadors, foreign dignitaries, and in most countries, basically anyone according to the discretion of government officials. I imagine the King can afford this courtesy to anyone he chooses. In diplomatic speak, it's simply "port courtesies." Also, if Chris O'Neill were to travel to any country he chooses, even on private trips, his wife's office can actually ask any Ministry of Foreign Affairs in any country in the world for the same treatment to be accorded to him. It is simply courtesy. From a security perspective, this also saves people a lot of headache. The quicker you can get a VIP in and out of the airport, the better and safer for everyone.

In essence, this article is questioning the right of the monarch to lend a car and driver of his to his own son-in-law.
I actually agree with questioning Chris using a royal resource as part of a private business trip. IMO other parts of the article are rubbish like calling it a secret trip, bringing up that Madeleine is not with him, saying he traveled like a King, uhm no he traveled like a business person, and referring to his travel habits as extravagant.

Again I agree with questioning Chris' use of a car from the Royal Mews but I don't deem it automatically wrong, more like needing to get a better understanding of how much discretion the King has in the use of the assets entrusted to him.

I actually agree with questioning Chris using a royal resource as part of a private business trip. IMO other parts of the article are rubbish like calling it a secret trip, bringing up that Madeleine is not with him, saying he traveled like a King, uhm no he traveled like a business person, and referring to his travel habits as extravagant.

Again I agree with questioning Chris' use of a car from the Royal Mews but I don't deem it automatically wrong, more like needing to get a better understanding of how much discretion the King has in the use of the assets entrusted to him.
If one starts questioning the King when he sends a car to pick up his son in law from the airport, we had also start questioning him on how any rooms are heated in the royal palace ie if the king ate a second helping at a state dinner. Absolutely preposterous, IMO.

Last edited:
:previous: I question a car being sent to pick up his son-in-law when his son-in-law comes to town for a private business trip. I would not question it if Chris were arriving in town to do a royal event. However my sensibilities are based on accepted business practices in my culture, if it turns out that this is consistent with Swedish business practices or that the King has broad discretion with the assets he's been entrusted with, then, on that basis, I don't have a problem with it.

I also came across an article on Stoppa Pressarna that Bernadotte & Kylberg's design studio is housed at the Royal Mews and that caught my eye as well, but again I want more information. First of all, is it even true, I want another source in addition to Stoppa Pressarna. Then if true is the Royal Mews like Kensington Palace and if so is the design studio housed in the part of the Mews designated for private use or the part for royal use?

I think that having private life and royal life commingling is the way things are moving as you get more and more situations like Princess Madeleine marrying a business person and Prince Carl Philip being both a working royal and a business person, and as a result new rules and norms will have to be established.

:previous: I question a car being sent to pick up his son-in-law when his son-in-law comes to town for a private business trip. I would not question it if Chris were arriving in town to do a royal event. However my sensibilities are based on accepted business practices in my culture, if it turns out that this is consistent with Swedish business practices or that the King has broad discretion with the assets he's been entrusted with, then, on that basis, I don't have a problem with it.

What if, whilst Chris was in Stockholm on business, he stayed at the royal palace for a night? Would that be wrong as well?

My broader point is about materiality, and applying a common sense approach to some of these matters, which can often get missed.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

you raise some good points. i agree, i respect chris for his decision to not choose 'the easy way'. also, like you, i also think there's too many full time royals in the new generation of the SRF. chris being a prince or not, it really doesn't matter much. check out how many events CP, sofia and madeleine actually attend which are not very many. i suspect chris, if he were prince, would have a very limited amount of activities too.

I totally understand why the Royal Court staff should be upset. If Chris doesn't want to be a prince or a royal duke, it is unacceptable that he uses royal transportation in a private business trip.

Do you really think that Chris O'Neill has so much influence with the royal court that he can simply order people to send a car to pick him up at the airport? If that car was sent to pick him up at the airport, then this order must have come from someone higher (e.g the king?). Should Chris have refused to sit in the car and send it away empty?

Do you really think that Chris O'Neill has so much influence with the royal court that he can simply order people to send a car to pick him up at the airport? If that car was sent to pick him up at the airport, then this order must have come from someone higher (e.g the king?). Should Chris have refused to sit in the car and send it away empty?

Exactly. There's a chain of command. If there was a car for Chris, it was approved by the Boss.

Last edited:
General News about Madeleine, Chris and Family, Part 2: June 2015 -

1. The occasional paparazzi aside London offers Madeleine & her family a lot more privacy than Stockholm would. In Sweden they'd have eyes on them 24/7 and would never be able to go anywhere unnoticed. Added to that they'd be photographed even more both by the Swedish media and private citizens using their mobile phones.
2. There's no distinction in the Royal Mews between private & public parts. The Mews consists of stables, garages, flats that's rented out on the approval of the Court (mostly to employees in different sections of the Court that have to vacate them upon leaving their positions) and some offices. Both Carl Philip and Victoria have offices at the Mews.

3. I seriously doubt that anyone at Court would object to Chris using a car that belongs to the Court or getting VIP treatment at the airport. As someone said, anything he gets comes from the top and the King is famous for keeping his Court, for good or bad, in tight reins.

Last edited:
What if, whilst Chris was in Stockholm on business, he stayed at the royal palace for a night? Would that be wrong as well?

My broader point is about materiality, and applying a common sense approach to some of these matters, which can often get missed.
No if he was stayed in the section on the royal palace that is the private residence of the King and Queen (or if he stayed in the private residence of the Crown Princess Couple).

Yes if he stayed in a part of the royal palace designated for visiting dignitaries.

No if it is consistent with Swedish business practices or if the King has the discretion and authority to use royal assets for the benefit of family members whilst they are engaging in money-making activities.

No if he was stayed in the section on the royal palace that is the private residence of the King and Queen (or if he stayed in the private residence of the Crown Princess Couple).

Yes if he stayed in a part of the royal palace designated for visiting dignitaries.

No if it is consistent with Swedish business practices or if the King has the discretion and authority to use royal assets for the benefit of family members whilst they are engaging in money-making activities.

The Royal palace isn't the residence of the King anymore. He & the Queen lives at Drottningholm palace.

Chris & Madeleine have a flat at the Mews so if he stayed the night that's where he'd sleep.

The King has the final say in how the royal assets are used and by whom. The King is also the one who sets down the rule about what's deemed appropriate in dealing with the business sector. Let's just say that the line isn't drawn as clear anymore as it was during the days of his grandfather who once forced Princess Christina to return a mink stole she'd been given by an association of furriers because it could be seen as bribery.

:previous: I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the person I was responding to meant royal palace in the general sense. For example with the British Royal Family that could be Buckingham Palace but it could also mean Windsor Castle, St. James’s Palace, Holyroodhouse, etc. and wanted to know if I had a problem with Chris staying at an official royal residence and my response is that I do not have a problem with him staying in the private residence portion as a guest of one of his in-laws.

You are right, as a practical matter, Chris has no need to stay with his in-laws when he is in Stockholm because he has his own apartment at the Royal Mews.

It seems like you are saying that the King has discretion in these matters which is why I have qualified my comments by stating that my sensibilities are shaped by my culture. If the King has discretion in these matters then, on that basis, no wrongdoing has taken place, but I wouldn't be surprised if over time this changes and lines do become more clearly drawn.

:previous: I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the person I was responding to meant royal palace in the general sense. For example with the British Royal Family that could be Buckingham Palace but it could also mean Windsor Castle, St. James’s Palace, Holyroodhouse, etc. and wanted to know if I had a problem with Chris staying at an official royal residence and my response is that I do not have a problem with him staying in the private residence portion as a guest of one of his in-laws.

You are right, as a practical matter, Chris has no need to stay with his in-laws when he is in Stockholm because he has his own apartment at the Royal Mews.

It seems like you are saying that the King has discretion in these matters which is why I have qualified my comments by stating that my sensibilities are shaped by my culture. If the King has discretion in these matters then, on that basis, no wrongdoing has taken place, but I wouldn't be surprised if over time this changes and lines do become more clearly drawn.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be nitpicky about the Royal palace.

Concerning guidelines I was thinking the same thing as you when writing my previous post. The way things are going, with royal finances under constant scrutiny, I'm sure guidelines will be more clearly formulated to ensure there's no taken advantage off State property by people it wasn't meant for. For example there's been quite a lot of attention in the national media concerning who and under what circumstances people are given leases of houses, properties and flats owned by the court.

Oh my god people look for reasons to slander this man :bang:

They sent a car to pick him up. How is that shady business :ermm:

It's not like he is holding meetings at the palace. Or running his company from royal property. They sent him a car to pick him up. I don't know about other families, but in families I know, when someone flies into town, someone picks them up. This seems simply the Royal equivelant. Would it have been less controversial if Victoria or Cp went in the car to meet him?

The King has the final say in how the royal assets are used and by whom. The King is also the one who sets down the rule about what's deemed appropriate in dealing with the business sector. Let's just say that the line isn't drawn as clear anymore as it was during the days of his grandfather who once forced Princess Christina to return a mink stole she'd been given by an association of furriers because it could be seen as bribery.

For example there's been quite a lot of attention in the national media concerning who and under what circumstances people are given leases of houses, properties and flats owned by the court.

That is interesting. Could the media or the government force the king to draw clearer lines concerning business dealings and leases of the royal properties?

https://translate.google.de/transla...hovets-markliga-forsvar-av-chris-0&edit-text=
Hovets märkliga försvar av Chris | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

the court is now defending chris, thinks that he deserves to use the king's private chauffeurs:
- He is part of the royal family and he comes to Sweden he gets, if resources and time, use the Royal Mews services, says Margareta Thorgren Expressen.
This means that Chris O'Neill then can continue to ride for free wherever he wants. Although the purpose of the trips are his private affairs. A peculiar position of the court, as it is the taxpayer who forks out for the whole affair.

if Chris was so private he always claims to be he should his company have arranged his business trip and transport, but obviously having a king as fil does have its perks, too good to be rejected :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom