Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, General News 2: June 2015 - Sept 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
General News about Madeleine, Chris and Family, Part 2: June 2015 -

On the cover of german Die aktuelle
Princess Madeleine Sad first Days in London

This picture has been shared on this blog before. It was taken back in NYC. Die Aktuelle is making something up. I hope we get some new pictures of the couple soon.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Last edited:
On the cover of german Die aktuelle
Princess Madeleine Sad first Days in London
Chris is working Day and Night
She is alone with the children
Far away from Family and Friends
https://www.pressekatalog.de/coverg/die+aktuelle-00038_2015_2000592.jpg

The picture is old (from NY) but I see the headline becoming truth one day.
I don't see her happy with her London life as Mrs O Neill the same way she wasn't happy with her NY life.
I am sure she will be back in Sweden, with or without Chris, close to friends and family. There she finds shelter and can be the glamour princess, doing events when it suits her.

Does anyone know what goes on in any couples relationship except the two people in it? I don't know.

The picture is old (from NY) but I see the headline becoming truth one day.
I don't see her happy with her London life as Mrs O Neill the same way she wasn't happy with her NY life.
I am sure she will be back in Sweden, with or without Chris, close to friends and family. There she finds shelter and can be the glamour princess, doing events when it suits her.

It's hard to tell. As I see it, London has two main advantages over New York as far as Madeleine is concerned.

First of all, London is closer to Sweden, making it easier for Madeleine to take a quick flight to Stockholm whenever she wants or needs to play the "glamour princess". Second, since the UK itself is a monarchy with a hereditary nobility, I assume more people in London than in NY will be aware that Madeleine is a royal princess and understand what that means. She won't have a royal court around her as in Sweden, but it's likely she won't be addressed simply as "Mrs. O'Neill", especially in "high society" circles.

Having said that, I agree with you that, if Madeleine had a personal choice, she would rather stay in Sweden. She is trying to please her husband though, who, as we've seen in recent interviews, has a rather old-fashioned view of the role of women in a marriage.

Last edited:
Wow, that is the most I have ever seen Princess M, look like her big sister!

Didn't Madeleine live in London at one point in time? I imagine she probably still has friends there.

Why don't we give them a chance to settle into life in London before saying it won't work... Its obviously been a busy time for them, new job, new house to find and move into, a new baby and another little child to look after. I can't imagine Maddie has a problem living in London, she's lived there before and it means she is much closer to Sweden to visit her own family.

I agree. There's always a transition when moving to a new city, so I'm sure she is a bit stressed right now, especially with two small children to look after. But she's a lot closer to home than when she lived in New York. Plus she's lived in London before, so I imagine she has a few friends there and is familiar with at least parts of the city.

Why don't we give them a chance to settle into life in London before saying it won't work... Its obviously been a busy time for them, new job, new house to find and move into, a new baby and another little child to look after. I can't imagine Maddie has a problem living in London, she's lived there before and it means she is much closer to Sweden to visit her own family.

Yes, she was studying in London in the autumn 2001 and in January 2002 according to the official statement from the court, she quit her studies and moved back to Sweden because she couldn't cope with the paparazzis.
- The Princess has felt very bad when she has been every day being stalked by paparazzi, says Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg from the court.
- Princess Madeleine could in principle not go outside the door, without that there was a camera lens in her face.
Prinsessan Madeleine avbryter studier _ SvD

Madeleine's friend Caroline Leksell Cooke lives in London, Madeleine and Chris were at her wedding in St. Moritz in 2012. According to LinkedIn Caroline sells Google advertising solutions to Procter and Gamble in the UK and Nordics.

Last edited:
Expressen has an article today that because of her children Madeleine cancelled her attendance at the World Childhood Foundation's ThankYou gala tomorrow, even though at the invitation it is said that the dinner takes place in the presence of the "Queen Silvia of Sweden and Princess Madeleine of Sweden".
The court confirms that Madeleine is not in place tomorrow in New York:
- No, the princess is at home in London. She has young children and can not go on such a long journey right now. She has chosen to prioritize the children, and to remain at home in London, says Margareta Thorgren.
Recently, it became known that when the organization My Big Day celebrates 15 years in Sweden their patron Princess Madeleine will not attend. Even then, she decides to be at home with the family.
Därför ställer prinsessan Madeleine in besök på välgörenhetsgala _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I think one coud not expecte Madeleine to make such a long jorney and to leave her children behind. I'm going to fully understand her here. Now, I wasn't expecting her to miss "Min Stora Dag", but that's another story. I think I'm going to see how things will develop as I'm starting forming my idea over this matter...

Can't she just make up her mind and get it over with?! Release a statement saying you step back from your official duties and responsibilities to focus on a new life in the UK, put your kids in a British school to get them out of the Line of succession and that'll be the end of that. Of course there's going to be headlines and grumbling in the press but that'll pass quickly and besides she's in the UK so she won't see much of it.

Exactly, its ridiculous that the palace releases now a comment on everything Madeleine choses to do or not to do and why, while the reason given (kids, focus on family) is not good enough for every event (opening of Parliament yes but other events no), its bound to be critizised.

With the arrival of Victoria's second child there will be more than enough heirs to the throne.
Let's keep the rights to the throne and the princely title to the Victoria branch.
Nothing wrong to be mr. and mrs. O'Neil and mr and mrs Bernadotte

Agree. It is completely ridiculous. Τhe palace trying to save those who are not saved. You have to make a decision and make it back for now at least if you can not meet these minimum doing now.

Exactly, its ridiculous that the palace releases now a comment on everything Madeleine choses to do or not to do and why, while the reason given (kids, focus on family) is not good enough for every event (opening of Parliament yes but other events no), its bound to be critizised.

Yes, and the problem at these cancellations is that obviously Madeleine has told to both World Childhood Foundation (ThankYou project has been her project) and Min Stora Dag that she will attend, and they have put "in the presence of HRH princess Madeleine" to adds and invitations. Then she cancels and Margareta Thorgren says that she has two young children. Didn't she think when she accepted to attend at these events that she will have a baby and another small child in September 2015, and at least a trip to New York isn't reasonable to do in these circumstances.

I agree with all the posters above. The problem isn't her absence (that is understandable, she has two young children). The problem is that she makes promises, and then bails out in the last minute. Just let it go. Say that she will be on maternity leave for a year - maybe come home for Nobel - but that's it. Don't keep sending these mixed signals.

I think she likes being a princess and doesn't want to let that go , but she does have a husband who isn't keen , so she is trying to please him by doing family stuff but also she wants to keep the title of princess !! so she try's to do the charity things and then realises she has to stay home

I think she likes being a princess and doesn't want to let that go , but she does have a husband who isn't keen , so she is trying to please him by doing family stuff but also she wants to keep the title of princess !! so she try's to do the charity things and then realises she has to stay home
I think they are in a process of trying to find their own balance. They are looking to balance what kind of family life they want to have with his and her roles. Right now it's not going very well it seems and it has gone very fast with wedding and 2 kids so I think right now is the first time they are actually letting things sink in. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will find a nice balance, but I think they should avoid making plans for her like that. I think it would be better if it got announced later as a plus. Better to tell late than to have to pull out. I mean... the New York thing should have never been schedueled/had her pull out when she found out she was pregnant.

Exactly. I think that the Breadwinner at home has a clear view of things, but Madeleine doesnt, tries to fit in things that in the end cannot happen.

Exactly. I think that the Breadwinner at home has a clear view of things, but Madeleine doesnt, tries to fit in things that in the end cannot happen.

I know what Madeleine is doing right now doesn't please a lot of people, but can stop all these mocking of Chris O'Neill stops. Everyone can say what you like about Madeleine, whether she wants to work or not , but I feel very sad comments like "breadwinner" keeps coming out and making fun of him.

There are men in my very conservative and traditional country who are breadwinners and they are not bad people at all. My husband used to be one of them as I was a stay at home mum for a few years, but that doesn't mean that I am a worthless and useless woman who allows my husband to trample on me. He is a good man who treats me with lots of respect.

If Mr Chris O'Neill is to come into my country, he receives lots of respect and the biggest round of applause.

I know what Madeleine is doing right now doesn't please a lot of people, but can stop all these mocking of Chris O'Neill stops. Everyone can say what you like about Madeleine, whether she wants to work or not , but I feel very sad comments like "breadwinner" keeps coming out and making fun of him.

There are men in my very conservative and traditional country who are breadwinners and they are not bad people at all. My husband used to be one of them as I was a stay at home mum for a few years, but that doesn't mean that I am a worthless and useless woman who allows my husband to trample on me. He is a good man who treats me with lots of respect.

If Mr Chris O'Neill is to come into my country, he receives lots of respect and the biggest round of applause.
I'm not one of those who used it, but I think people use the word "breadwinner" as a fast way to point out what kind of lifestyle and arrangements he expects in his life. Just like many women would use a word like "independant" doesn't mean they wouldn't want a partnership with their partner and share, just how they view their arrangement. And since a "breadwinner" arrangement is not common in Sweden it is a part of the cultural change of what is expected of Madeleine both from Chris and Sweden. In her job, she is expected to work and in her life she is expected to be a mum. She has a hard balaance to try and figure out. I don't think anyone is meaning either of them are bad people for wanting that arrangement!! Just that their expectation is clashing a bunch with her life!

I'm not one of those who used it, but I think people use the word "breadwinner" as a fast way to point out what kind of lifestyle and arrangements he expects in his life. Just like many women would use a word like "independant" doesn't mean they wouldn't want a partnership with their partner and share, just how they view their arrangement. And since a "breadwinner" arrangement is not common in Sweden it is a part of the cultural change of what is expected of Madeleine both from Chris and Sweden. In her job, she is expected to work and in her life she is expected to be a mum. She has a hard balaance to try and figure out. I don't think anyone is meaning either of them are bad people for wanting that arrangement!! Just that their expectation is clashing a bunch with her life!

I agree with you and just to add - Chris referred to himself as 'the Breadwinner' in an interview he gave to Expressen
Royal husband tells of 'breadwinner' role - The Local

I think they are in a process of trying to find their own balance. They are looking to balance what kind of family life they want to have with his and her roles. Right now it's not going very well it seems and it has gone very fast with wedding and 2 kids so I think right now is the first time they are actually letting things sink in. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will find a nice balance, but I think they should avoid making plans for her like that. I think it would be better if it got announced later as a plus. Better to tell late than to have to pull out. I mean... the New York thing should have never been schedueled/had her pull out when she found out she was pregnant.

Good point. :flowers: It has been going very fast for them. Plus the critical press. It seems to me that they have found a safe haven, nested and protected from the glare. I don't fault anyone in her situation. She thought she would be able to do things but now realizes otherwise. I'm okay with that. :flowers:

I also think that this is a case of badly managing diaries and communications. The children are both very young, and due consideration should have been taken before accepting engagements in the US, especially when the Queen herself is attending.

i find it bad that madeleine cancels her attendance to the gala. she probably knew when she was told of the event that she would be living in london by that point, or in europe, that the trip would be long and that she would have 2 small children to take care of. guests have probably paid for expensive tickets to see her and silvia, and cancelling on them just doesn't seem very royal to me.

In principle, I would see no problem in Madeleine missing the My Big Day and the World Childhood Foundation events except that:

1. She attended the official opening of the Swedish parliament, even though she also had two little children at home back then.

2. She had confirmed she would attend both events she missed, invitations were issued saying she would be there (which has an impact on overall attendance), and she then bailed out at the last minute.

In principle, I would see no problem in Madeleine missing the My Big Day and the World Childhood Foundation events except that:

1. She attended the official opening of the Swedish parliament, even though she also had two little children at home back then.

2. She had confirmed she would attend both events she missed, invitations were issued saying she would be there (which has an impact on overall attendance), and she then bailed out at the last minute.
Exactly. Had she just said to them when she got pregnant that she would not come to the New York thing and that the other thing would have to be decided colser and they didn't put her name on the invitations, it would have been no problem. I have no problem with her spending time with her children. Just how it's been handled. I mean... predicting that a New York trip so soon after having the kid would probably not work isn't exactly brainsurgery and it shows a lack of foresight from either themselves or the team...

Wouldn't it be wild if Madeleine was in the family way again? :blink: ;) :p Just being impish.

Madeleine may just not feel well. Can't plan for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom