Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, General News 2: June 2015 - Sept 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And let's not forget that what's considered "left" in one country is "right" in another :flowers:
Very true. Left US is very Right Sweden.

Let's return to Chris for a while.

What is the opinion in the street and in the media of the interview?
I honestly have not much idea (am sick at the moment) but most people seem somewhere between unknowing, neutral and bunching him together with the princesses party persona.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my 2 cts, what for me jumped out from this interview is that he really focusses on his family and his job and not one or the other; i can imagine he loves to come home to his family at night and not to an empty hotel room
and i thought it was cute that Leonore and him are both learning swedish ;)

(for who's counting, i considere myself a lefty (on the dutch scale :lol:) and almost threw a salesman out of my house when he kept insisting on wanting to talk to "the male breadwinner in the house" even after i explained that i was a single woman with a full-time job :lol:)

My problem with women who isn't working is that I've seen examples - from friends abroad and from an older generation here - is that she's not always able make the life choices she wants to. (The same would apply to a man who is supported by his wife). My husband makes more money than me, but I'm working as well and bringing money to the household. I could manage well on my own. If our relationship breaks down, I can support myself.

Here in Sweden, you have to pay child support (but a low sum) if you divorce and have kids. But a husband isn't required to support his ex-wife in any way, like he is in the US.

I don't think that Madeleine and the kids would be on welfare if their marriage broke down. She has her own money. If she makes the choice to not work, I'm fine with that. But most women who want some kind of control over their own destiny have to be able to support themselves.

I do agree with you on almost all your points. However, for personal reasons, I would like it if I could afford to quit my job and do some other things which would not earn me an income but would lead me to a life I have chosen. Actually, it's being forced to have my own income which prevents me from accomplishing my real life choices. As a woman who has been educated for a long time, I am supposed to love being able to ask for jobs as prestigious as men can get, and it is supposed to make me blooming as much as men. That is not something that can be easily explained here. I should add we belong neither to upper class neither to aristocracy. We are happy to have fewer needs than most of people and to be able to live with not so high incomes.

Last edited:
And I have had the same experience with conservatives (although I'm considered a rather conservative here...). There are open and close minded people on all sides of the spectrum just as there are in countries, genders, religions, sexual orientations. etc.

Also, you are mentioning students? In teens/young adult age you are usually more "extreme" in your views and it widens when you get experiences. Plus, it's the more extreme ones thaat will be vocal in class, so yoou wouldn't hear much of it from the more "normal" left-wings.

Thank you hernameispekka. In the US, both the extreme Left and Right are in the process of destroying the country. Hypocrisy, immorality, an obsession with empty political correctness, greed, ignorance of history and an absolute lack of charity reign supreme.

And I loathe both sides equally with a passion:bang:.

Sancia, thank you for expressing my own ideas so well, as usual.;)

And let's not forget that what's considered "left" in one country is "right" in another :flowers:

Or that people can have "left ideas" on some subjects and "right ideas" on other ones.

What is precisely non-tolerance?

I have read the whole discussion about Chris' interview. Although I do agree "breadwinner" wasn't the best word to use in a swedish context, and althought I do too understand how what he said can sound old-fashioned (to say the least), I fail to see why it is shocking when a woman in a couple does not have her own income..

Royal families' finances tend to be rather secretive, but most web sites I found on a quick Google search put Madeleine's net worth in the range of at least 10 million dollars. I would be very surprised if she, as you claim, did not have any income from portfolio investments, or a trust fund, or something like that. For sure, Madeleine doesn't need anyone to serve as "her breadwinner" as she is herself personally wealthy.

You nailed it, Gerry. :)
This is indeed a cultural difference as we can tell from the national reactions.
I will not go much into Danish mindset and culture because you would be surprised at how different the Scandinavian countries are in regards to how we look at things and this is mainly about Sweden
In Sweden most men will call themselves or even define themselves as feminists, usually with genuine conviction because the Swedes are almost obsessively egalitarian, especially in regards to gender issues.
While in Denmark calling himself feminist (they do exist BTW) would be considered downright silly and worse: trying to be politically correct and that is not a compliment!
However, that does not mean that we Danish husbands do not believe women should be equal to men, we certainly do! - Provided they make it on their own, without special considerations...

So in Scandinavia a man defining himself as "the breadwinner" in the family (even if it's true) sounds like something our grandads would say. Simply because the wast majority of women here have been out working since the late 1970's. In fact when you on rare occasions do encounter a housewife with no or minimal income of her own, she really is a novelty and who is met with genuine curiosity. How can you afford that? Don't you feel under stimulated? And so on.

The difference between Sweden and Denmark is that while a man saying "I'm the breadwinner of the family" is about as politically incorrect as you can be in Sweden. In Denmark he would be met with amusement - even on building sites. Followed by the question: "How the Hansen can you afford that? Do you earn that much!?!" Or being assumed that he's got a mailorder bride at home, straight off the plane.
How they would view things from an Icelandic, Finnish or Norwegian perspective I'll leave to others.

-------------------------------------

- I'm glad you are enjoying your stay in DK, especially Aarhus, Gerry. :)
"Straight out of the 50's?" Because so many buildings are old and low?
As for uniformity. That's the tribal mentality. We are a part of a tribe so we look like the tribe - while at the same time we genuinely believe we are very individual. :lol:
You may also have noticed, that even though we are in the middle of the holiday season, the pace is also slower over here.
And one final thing, if you have the time, I strongly suggest you go to the town of Hvide Sande on the west coast. Apart from enjoying the scenery (and the tourists, doing their best to drown themselves...:ermm:) there is a fish-restaurant at a quay in the harbor there. The fishing boats offload some of their catch at the kitchen side so the fish are literally hardly dead when they are being served and they are big!
Thanks for the tip, I will look into Hvide Sande, but is there only the one fish restaurant there? This I also find curious that I can smell the sea from my window but there is a decided lack of fish-except the huge selection of frozen goods at the local supermarket. Perhaps it is a consequence of 'egalitarianism'...no one has time to cook anymore!? About the 1950's and Aarhus: the combination of uniformity, uninspiring architecture (except for Dok1 and Moesgaard) and, indeed the pace of life here make me wonder...such a difference with Copenhagen but a great place to do some undisturbed writing!:flowers:

I very much doubt that Madeleine has so much funds - I believe she gets a apanage from her father, and after the death of him, she will inherit - but not yet.

I'd like to know how Madeleine came to be worth 10 million dollars.

I very much doubt that Madeleine has so much funds - I believe she gets a apanage from her father, and after the death of him, she will inherit - but not yet.

As I said, I really don't know. Estimates of her father's net worth tend to range between 70 and 120 million dollars, but I doubt any of those estimates that float around are really accurate as private royal finances (in all countries) are not transparent.

She may or may not be worth what some sources claim, but, in any case, if she didn't have any income or assets of her own, why would she and Chris have signed a prenup agreement ?

The prenup may very well have been to protect Chris's assets. Prenups are important for any couple imo, not just the mega wealthy.

The prenup may very well have been to protect Chris's assets. Prenups are important for any couple imo, not just the mega wealthy.

Considering that Silvia, Daniel and Sofia also signed prenups, my impression is that was also a requirement of the Royal House.

Here is an example of a site that claims her net worth is US$ 10 million . I agree it sounds like an inflated estimate and is probably wrong, but the same site puts QEII's personal net worth at US$ 550 million, which looks about right (i.e. matches estimates from more reliable sources like Forbes).

Last edited:
It could very well have been a requirement of the royal house but given Chris's background and business sense he no doubt would have insisted on one anyway.

I have no idea how the law works in Sweden though.

She had a fortune of at least 30 million SEK, around 3,5 million USD, in 2006 (according to the prenup), and it's not smaller these days. She also has a large stock portfolio and other assets. Hard to put a value on those. In any case, she won't have to beg to put food on the table if she and Chris split up.

Madeleine och Chris har lämnat in sitt äktenskapsförord | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Thanks Xenobia for the info.

Your last sentence above was my point exactly.

I've certainly learned a lot about Swedish culture. I'm surprised monarchy is able to function in a society that is so politically correct.

Maybe in the future Chris and Madeleine will choose to live in London full-time and give up royal life in Sweden altogether.

Yes I think they might too. He can't win. I don't want to put down another country but if he didn't work would he not be called names. Maddie wants to be a full time mum and that is wrong too. I wouldn't blame them at all if decide to live in London long term.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Kind of funny the way so many are jumping a over Chris with that "breadwinner" comment. He is just trying to explain, for BOTH of them, why they aren't living in Sweden which seems to be the big question. Maddie works very little, and so the amount of flights she would have to take a month, vs what he has been doing for the past year, is simply incomparable. Like it or not, here is a Swedish woman who isn't really working or supporting herself, as un politically correct as it may be.

My opinion is that the King insisted that the babies be HRH, and that Madde really wanted out. Chris is the fall guy. He loves her and is trying to make it all work, imo.
Leonore will probably teach him Swedish!

Thank you for understanding what I (and several other swedish posters) are trying to explain :flowers:

I'll try to be even more clear to avoid further misunderstandings. (Not aimed at anyone in particular - just a general explanation).

Flipside: I'm glad Chris did the interview. He has a lot to gain by being more open towards the press and the swedish population in general. It's also very good that he explained that he's not going to be around for every major royal occasion. I understand the reasons behind it, and they are perfectly legitimate. I hope they also try to be more consistent when it comes to planning and PR in the future - that could do a lot to improve their image.

Downside: The way that Chris expresses himself is something that raises a lot of eyebrows over here. His talk about being "the breadwinner" is seen as very old fashioned here. I'm 44 years old, and personally don't know a single woman my age who isn't working and making her own money. (Yes, they do exist, but it's very rare). Women are encouraged to stand on their own two feet and make their own money. Having a husband as a "breadwinner" is a very rare and strange thing to most people my age.

Chris also talks about how he wants to come home and have dinner with his family after a long day at work. Nothing wrong with that, but together with a lot of other remarks it gives us the impression that he's a 1950's kind of guy: he wants a housewife who takes care of the house and kids while he's working. And this is something very, very far away from how the average swede lives.

Everyone has the right to live their lives as they want, as long as you don't hurt anyone else. He's perfectly entitled to his thoughts and opinions, and as long as Madeleine is okay with it, I personally have no objections. The remarks I've made are done to try to explain to other posters why there might be a backlash towards Chris here in Sweden after this interview. I think that Chris isn't familiar with the ways of society here, and he - along with many posters here - can't really understand what the fuzz is about. So I'm trying to explain the fuzz.

So I take it that all children are in full time childcare then.

I was favourably impressed by the article. Chris seems like a straight forward person who loves his family and wants the best for them. I've known several people whose marriages have ended because of one partner's constant work related travel.

I didn't see anything particularly old fashioned or sexist about what Chris said, but then again, terms like "breadwinner" aren't especially controversial or emotionally loaded where I come from. Madeleine is no doubt a wealthy woman in her own right but it's likely Christopher's money that enables them to live the luxurious life they do.

I would be interested in knowing what the norm is for old, noble and/or wealthy Swedish families in terms of division of labor between the husband and wife.

I agree. But the general interview was rather good :) And I think he certainly are learning, which I've already given him praise for :) It's sad that they don't have a good PR-team... In todays age it is SO IMPORTANT and it makes me sad that they are not putting forward their best version. The PR team seems clumsy or outdated.
Yes the Swedish Royal Family PR team is clumsy. I thought we'd long since established that the SRF seems to function "in spite of" rather than "because of" their "Flaky PR Team".

Great heavens above, were it not for the SRF PR usual flaky and general level of incompetence we would not be having this conversation. The whole mess surrounding the marriage and lifestyle of Madeleine and Chris would never have occurred and there would have been no "interview". It is even a remote possibility that they would have been able to make a life in Sweden.

As ill-advised as the term "breadwinner" is, it does not alter the facts of the matter, namely that Chris works full-time and Madeleine doesn't, nor indeed will she ever. Someone way back said that Sweden is so PC that it actually prevents women having the choice of being a full-time wife and mother, and that is a very good point. I thought that was what equality was all about, being able to make your own choices.

From the interview with Chris it seems they have made a choice, he will have a full-time job and she will also have a full-time job, because anyone who thinks bringing up children is anything less than a full-time job is not only dreaming but living on a different planet than me.

From a strictly personal point of view, I see no virtue in working solely to be able to pay for daycare (except if your sanity is involved). It is counterproductive, and the use of Madeleine as a representative of "everyday Swedish women", inane. She is not an ordinary woman, she is a royal Princess, a rich Swedish one at that.

Good post MARG I totally agree with your point about Childcare after working in it for 15 years it has place but full time CC is not ideal for children even the very best. IMO

Madeleine inherited 5 million SEK after prince Bertil died, then 15 million SEK was divided to Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine.
Carl Philip ärver prins Bertil - Nyheter - folket.se
And about 10 million SEK when princess Lilian died. Lilian wrote in her will that all of the property, other than as specified, should go to the royal children. In total there were about 30 million SEK for Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine to share.
Okände arvingen får stor del av Lilians arv _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Last edited:
The Prince Bertil left all his property of the children of Carl-Gustaf only?

Of course princess Lilian as his wife inherited property and money, for instance the apartment in London. The king's sisters inherited paintings and the king inherited Villa Mirage in France.

Last edited:
My problem with women who isn't working is that I've seen examples - from friends abroad and from an older generation here - is that she's not always able make the life choices she wants to. (The same would apply to a man who is supported by his wife). My husband makes more money than me, but I'm working as well and bringing money to the household. I could manage well on my own. If our relationship breaks down, I can support myself.

Here in Sweden, you have to pay child support (but a low sum) if you divorce and have kids. But a husband isn't required to support his ex-wife in any way, like he is in the US.

I don't think that Madeleine and the kids would be on welfare if their marriage broke down. She has her own money. If she makes the choice to not work, I'm fine with that. But most women who want some kind of control over their own destiny have to be able to support themselves.
I love to work, so I dont get completely who chooses to stay at home. But one of the main points of femininsm is the freedom to make a choice. If I want to work fine, if I want to take care of my family without working fine. So imo femininsm isnt about a model of life, but about doing what you feel is best for you.

Of course its Chris' & Madde's choice and everybody should do what they are comfortable with. It's only that for me (and obviously more posters) Chris' wording gave me a 'lord of the manor' vibe, he's working and in the evening when he comes home the wifey will present the well groomed kids, there is supper, and the big family dogs are resting by the fire. If they like it, fine. But giving an interview about it will open you to critizism counting the year 2015 or to be precise, it won't make Chris any more popular in Sweden, if that was his aim at all.

Of course its Chris' & Madde's choice and everybody should do what they are comfortable with. It's only that for me (and obviously more posters) Chris' wording gave me a 'lord of the manor' vibe, he's working and in the evening when he comes home the wifey will present the well groomed kids, there is supper, and the big family dogs are resting by the fire. If they like it, fine. But giving an interview about it will open you to critizism counting the year 2015 or to be precise, it won't make Chris any more popular in Sweden, if that was his aim at all.

I think he said he wanted to come for dinner with his family if you thinks that's lord of the manner holy moly
Shame on him wanting to with his family instead of alone!!!!!!!!! I think a lot of people would be happy if this marriage broke up

I took it to mean he would rather go home at night to a real family at the dinner table....not a lonely hotel room service meal.

I am not sure how anyone could get "lord of the manor to wifey" vibes from something expressed so clearly.

And I don't know anyone who loves his/her family that could fault Chris for wanting that.:ermm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom