The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Courtier

XeniaCasaraghi, you have a good point and, yes, it would be lovely if this mud slinging would stop. But will it really stop? Or perhaps giving up her title would start even bigger dirt campaign against her [and the rest of the family]? Weren't people kinda offended that Chris didn't want to become a prince, that he thinks too much of himself to merely cut ribbons for the rest of his life? So I'm afraid that if she did give up her title for real, then there would be lots of scoffing comments a'la, "she's ungrateful brat who thinks she's too good for the royal family and Swedish people", etc, etc, etc, and she'd be even bigger looser in the end. Don't get why she always has to proove her presence and right to be?
And like MARG said: she is still the daughter of a King and people don't fully understand all this hoopla about the titles. Even though the King's sisters lost their style of Royal Highness, they still received the courtesy title of Princess and they are still called the princesses.

As to Madeleine's duties, well, she takes part in family events (e.g Victoria's and King's birthday, christenings, weddings) but she also perform official engagements on behalf of the royal family, plus her work with Childhood. She has two little children, so she's been more involved with them right now but once the children gets older, she will probably take on more duties again. Naturally this will depend on financing, how much other members will work, and how much can be divided. Anyway I hope Madeleine will return to her official representation duties soon because there's more in life than children and home
BTW: The court's calendar says that so far Madeleine has only had one (1!) engagement in 2017 (opening of Children's Room). I wonder how the engagements are put in the calendar because she has done more than this one

Old 05-16-2017, 03:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-Anne View Post
BTW: The court's calendar says that so far Madeleine has only had one (1!) engagement in 2017 (opening of Children's Room). I wonder how the engagements are put in the calendar because she has done more than this one
The events aren't always put to the royal court's calendar, but to "Aktuellt/Aktuella händelser" at the website. Madeleine has attended at opening of the Room for Children Nordic children's library on 14th February, at the first day of the Canadian state visit and at the meeting of the Board of World Childhood Foundation USA on 23rd February.
It is a pity that the court does such a lousy work with the calendar with all the members of the royal family - there is an article of Daniel visiting the Volvo Group on 5th May at "Aktuella händelser", but it isn't at the calendar. And most of Daniel's work with Gen-Pep isn't put to the court website at all, not to the calendar or to Aktuella händelser.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The events aren't always put to the royal court's calendar, but to "Aktuellt/Aktuella händelser" at the website. Madeleine has attended at opening of the Room for Children Nordic children's library on 14th February, at the first day of the Canadian state visit and at the meeting of the Board of World Childhood Foundation USA on 23rd February.
It is a pity that the court does such a lousy work with the calendar with all the members of the royal family - there is an article of Daniel visiting the Volvo Group on 5th May at "Aktuella händelser", but it isn't at the calendar. And most of Daniel's work with Gen-Pep isn't put to the court website at all, not to the calendar or to Aktuella händelser.
LadyFinn, thanks for this info. At least its good that they add events under "Aktuellt/Aktuella händelser" but when someone only looks at the official calendar, then they won't see all events and may think that's exactly how much royals work (there's also difference between Swedish/English version of calendar). Could it be they add events to the "Aktuella händelser" but don't think to update the calendar or they just don't think its necessary to put everything in the calendar? Anyway, its clear that we don't see all the work royals do and lots of it is done behind the scenes, including Daniel's work for Gen-Pep and Madeleine's work for Childhood.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

The family has been seen shopping in Miami, Florida.
Ruskettunut prinsessa Madeleine upeana kesämekossa – Chris työnteli ostoskärryjä, suloiset lapset mukana - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sheesh...not sure why pics of them leaving a grocery store are necessary.

LaRae
Old 05-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Sheesh...not sure why pics of them leaving a grocery store are necessary.

LaRae
That is Madeleine's double life. She wants to be a glamorous royal princess when she is in Sweden and then makes an appearance as an American suburban housewife in the parking lot of a grocery store in Florida.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That is Madeleine's double life. She wants to be a glamorous royal princess when she is in Sweden and then makes an appearance as an American suburban housewife in the parking lot of a grocery store in Florida.
If Madeleine wants to go grocery shopping why shouldnt she?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
If Madeleine wants to go grocery shopping why shouldnt she?
Does Queen Silvia go grocery shopping in Sweden ? Maybe she does, but, in the UK at least, one wouldn't expect an HRH to be seen in such ordinary circumstances.

My point is that, while in Florida, Madeleine is not HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, but rather Mrs O'Neill. The way she switches between those two roles is what draws my attention.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Its pretty funny that the media often paint Madeleine as a glamorous royal princess, who's pampered and has servants who take care of mundane tasks. But then you see how she walks in the park with her kids, goes grocery shopping. Which is true image?People often seem to forget that royals, celebrities, politicans are normal people like everyone else, and you can see famos actress looking glamorous on red carpet and then shopping in old jeans and makeupless. Royals can also lead normal life like any other people and if they go grocery shopping themselves, then at least they how much e.g. food, clothes costs. Those "mundane" tasks makes them look more human, someone you can relate better to. Is that a bad thing?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Does Queen Silvia go grocery shopping in Sweden ? Maybe she does, but, in the UK at least, one wouldn't expect an HRH to be seen in such ordinary circumstances.

My point is that, while in Florida, Madeleine is not HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, but rather Mrs O'Neill. The way she switches between those two roles is what draws my attention.
But how else would you expect her to conduct her life?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge was photographed grocery shopping in Anglesley and HRH Prince Harry was in pictures grocery shopping in London. So why not? Madeleine may go grocery shopping in London but hasn't been photographed or some other story/pictures were of more interest at the time.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge was photographed grocery shopping in Anglesley and HRH Prince Harry was in pictures grocery shopping in London. So why not? Madeleine may go grocery shopping in London but hasn't been photographed or some other story/pictures were of more interest at the time.
Madeleine has photographed a few times shopping at Waitrose
Old 05-17-2017, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I have no idea if Queen Silvia ever does any grocery shopping but if she doesnt its more about not having time or security issues than things like dignity. Id say Swedes in general like & take pride in the fact that Daniel takes Estelle on rides in the subway & that members of the Royal family are seen moving about the country quite undisturbed.
The King & Queen was seen at one of Stockholms bigger departement stores a few years ago doing their Christmas shopping & in neighbouring Denmark Queen Margrethe has often been seen doing her shopping in stores close to Amalienborg.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
XeniaCasaraghi, you have a good point and, yes, it would be lovely if this mud slinging would stop. But will it really stop? Or perhaps giving up her title would start even bigger dirt campaign against her [and the rest of the family]? Weren't people kinda offended that Chris didn't want to become a prince, that he thinks too much of himself to merely cut ribbons for the rest of his life? So I'm afraid that if she did give up her title for real, then there would be lots of scoffing comments a'la, "she's ungrateful brat who thinks she's too good for the royal family and Swedish people", etc, etc, etc, and she'd be even bigger looser in the end. Don't get why she always has to proove her presence and right to be?
:
You're right I didn't think of that, I just imagined Mad and Chris living quietly away from all of it and just showing up at special events like birthdays. If the problem is only how she deals with events I think that might be legitimate. She shouldn't cancel in the last minute especially if its just to be with her kids and they're not ill or in the hospital.
It seems to me that some would be happy of C&M broke up because hes not impressed with the royal thing and wanted to maintain his life and work and how dare he not want a title.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Nobility

Again I don't think the issue was that Chris did not want a royal title.I don't think he can have such a title as he is not a Swedish citizen. Please feel free to correct if I am misinformed.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post

Again I don't think the issue was that Chris did not want a royal title.I don't think he can have such a title as he is not a Swedish citizen. Please feel free to correct if I am misinformed.
And again, the Royal Court's press release about Chris's title
Mr Christopher O'Neill's title - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 AM
Courtier

"...Should not hold a business of responsibility within business" yet, prince Carl Philip was allowed to enter into the design business? But then, if royal don't have an appanage and has family to support, then somehow money has to be earned.
Personally I think its good that Chris wanted to continue earning his own money because less burden on Swedish tax-payers. But I think Chris didn't expect how much marrying a princess will bring attention to himself and his business, so things may be complicated from time to time...hope things will settle.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Commoner

To me the main problem with Madeleine is and has always been her cherrypicking attitude. She gives the strong impression that she wants the cake and also eat it. Even when she lived permanently in Sweden she behaved the same way and back then she wasn't married and with two little children. Nothing has changed from then. She keeps to be a representative of Sweden without representing.
For example, some weeks ago there has been a terrorist attack in Stockholm that left 5 people dead. Few days later all of the members of the SRF were at the commemoration, except her. She was in London and has written a condolence message on her FB page, but it was her duty to make an effort, to take a plane and be present to show her respect and support to the people affected by the attack. It's this kind of behaviour that, at the end of the day, made Madeliene so unpopular in Sweden.
In the TV interview with Chris, she talked about working for Swedish trade in UK, to date she has done next to nothing in this field and her charity commitment for Childhood has been quite light.
True, tabloids are very hard on her (and Chris), but honestly she is doing nothing to ease the situation.
About loosing her HRH, I don't think she should be forced to renounce it but at the same time she have to be conscious that pepople will keep on asking why a princess of Sweden should maintain a royal title without really representing (or representing only when it suits her) and being rarely seen in Sweden.
Should Madeleine loose her title because she doesn’t work enough? No
Should she be esteemed and appreciated as royal representative because, you know, she is princess after all? Again no.
A lot of people see the royal titles and even more the perks that come with them as something royals shoud somehow to deserve, to gain. Right or wrong, it's the way it works today in the public opinions with their feelings towards royal families.
About Madeleine's commitments and the royal calendar: they have always been loaded when she has made publiccommitments. If, as it has been said, the court is doing a bad job on putting engaments, this is true for all the members of the family (perhaps with the exception of the king and queen) and not just for her.
On the comparison between her and CP,
even with his faults, CP seems now a bit more focused and a bit more seriously committed on royal duties. While I’m between them who don’t see CP and Sofia as great representatives for Sweden, I have to admit that at least it’s clear what is their role and what it will be in the upcoming years: the spare couple for helping Victoria and Daniel when CG and Silvia won’t have anymore the amount of committments they have now.
Nobody can really say what will be Madeleine's role within the RSF in the future. And this is something that will keep to create inevitably discussions.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
"...Should not hold a business of responsibility within business" yet, prince Carl Philip was allowed to enter into the design business? But then, if royal don't have an appanage and has family to support, then somehow money has to be earned.
Personally I think its good that Chris wanted to continue earning his own money because less burden on Swedish tax-payers. But I think Chris didn't expect how much marrying a princess will bring attention to himself and his business, so things may be complicated from time to time...hope things will settle.
This has been discussed previously at this forum. There is a press release from the court
Policy on the Royal Family's ownership of companies
Members of the Royal Family can be owners or co-owners of business-related companies. There is also no constitutional hindrance for the Royal Family to own shares or parts of companies. However, the royal family is restrictive in engaging in business activities.
The Royal Courts' policy on corporate affairs states, among other things, that the Royal Family may not:
- Be members of profitmaking companies' boards
- Be Ceo or Vice Ceo
- Be full-time employees
Policy kring Kungafamiljens ägande av bolag - Sveriges Kungahus

Carl Philip isn't a full-time employee at Bernadotte & Kylberg. He isn't the ceo or vice ceo of it and he isn't a member of the board.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

How about if Madeleine would have married Jonas? Was there already some announcement by the court if Jonas would be titled? He was partner in a law practice so would at least fall under the prohibited 'be full time employee' criterium.
I wonder if Jonas intended to give up practicing law in favor of executing royal duties. In modern times, that can hardly be expected from anyone, IMO.
In the Dutch RF, King Willem-Alexander's brothers are regular employees/business owners/ advisors even as they are titled as princes. No one ever raised concern on their positions and they do not get an appanage either.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, prince nicolas, prince nicolas of sweden, princess leonore, princess madeleine