The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
That issue of succession should have been settled before any children were born.
Why do you say this?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prinsen är på plats i Alnarp igen - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Google Translate

Old 09-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Serene Highness

It just seem odd to me why you would wait until CP Phillip is 7 months old to resolve the issue. I don't know what's all involved in this though. I don't know much about it.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Courtier

I don't speak swedish, so my possibilities of research on this are pretty limited. From what I understood, the reform of Act of Succession which changed agnatic primogeniture to equal primogeniture was already adopted in 1979, but become valid on 1.1.1980. That means that they for sure haven't waited until CP was 7 months old. Every law takes its time to be prepared and approved by parliament and Act of Succession is a part of Swedish Constituion, so I assume that the talks about changing it already started at latest after Victoria was born.

So it's not like they've just decided out of the blue that Victoria will become Crown Princess. The King, wheter he liked it or not, must have been aware of the change even before CP was born.

As for the influence that this had on CP. Yes, every adult around him knew. Years later also he understood, but it's not like he has been growing up like a Crown Prince and on his 18th birthday they suddenly told him: "Well, we don't need you anymore and your older sister will be Crown Princess from now on." In that case it would influence him for sure, but not when the change happend while he was a little baby. He has been growing up like "only" 2nd in line, but with the though that one day he'd have much more possibilities what to do with his life, that his older sister will ever have.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Legislation process to change the law of succession had indeed started before the birth of Carl Philip. I think that not even Queen Silvia's second pregnancy was announced yet when the bill started going through all the necessary motions. There was no probabolity that the bill would fail to pass, so it was clear to everyone since long before Carl Philip's birth that the firstborn would come to inherit the throne.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

The problem is that the succession law has to be changed by the Government and not by the royal Family. So if the Government does nothing like at the moment in Spain they can do nothing . As for Sweden As far as i know there where General-Elections in the autumn of 1979. And that new elected Parliament had to vote for the new Act of succession before it could dome in force. So there was no way to pass the law before the birth of Carl Philip.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That issue of succession should have been settled before any children were born.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why do you say this?
I can see what nascarlucy could mean with her statement. They could have avoided a lot of "what's" and "if's" and "CP is jealous of /angry at V, because she is CP and not he", "CP feels cheated", "CP is wasting his life because he was robbed of his rights" blablabla if the swedes would have been just a few month faster with the changes in this law.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

The Swedish parliament should have decided the succession issue long before any children were born. That's just my opinion, since it sounds like they were considering changes in the succession law to begin with. This is just common sense IMO. If they had a have a special session to do so, then so be it. Again this is just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The Swedish parliament should have decided the succession issue long before any children were born. That's just my opinion, since it sounds like they were considering changes in the succession law to begin with. This is just common sense IMO. If they had a have a special session to do so, then so be it. Again this is just my opinion.
Changes to the succession were discussed before the children were born, but it was a long process. Silvia was already 32 when she married (going on to 33) in an era when most women had children in their 20s. Neither it seems were prepared to delay having children and there was always a 50% chance their first born would be a boy. The succession law not only changed to first born is the heir but that females would have succession rights too, none of Carl Gustav's sisters were in line to the throne.

Once they had a girl, again it didn't stop them having more children (the 2nd could have been a girl as well!) contrast this with the Spanish where because of the succession law controversy (males come first) Felipe and Letizia have been advised not to have more children in case the next one is a boy.

Victoria was asked in an interview if she and Carl Philip had ever discussed the change in succession law, she said neither had. It wasn't something that concerned them, both were far too young for it to have affected them. Had they been older then the same situation as in Norway would have happened, the succession law was change in 1990, by which time Haakon who is younger than his sister had been trained to be the heir, Martha Louise said since she didn't have the training it would be better than the succession laws related to future generations, and leave the younger male sibling as the current heir.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Courtier

The parliment started to work at a change of the constitution after Victoria was born to ensure that the first child inherit the throne, and even more important to give female succetion rights if there would have only been girls born in the royal family. But a change in the constitution has to be voted on twice by the parliment with a general referendum held in between - so it takes time.

The thing that the king opposed was not to give the females succession rights but that the law took away Carl-Philips title as he had been born before the law came in to effect - and he meant that it would have been better to let him keep it as he was born as crownprince and let the full equal rights to the next generation.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop81 View Post

The thing that the king opposed was not to give the females succession rights but that the law took away Carl-Philips title as he had been born before the law came in to effect - and he meant that it would have been better to let him keep it as he was born as crownprince and let the full equal rights to the next generation.
He often spoke about that in the 80ths. But the older Victoria and Carl-Philip became less opposition the king spoke
Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Google Übersetzer

Prince Carl Philip will act as regent while the King is in Canada and Crown Princess Victoria in China.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
He often spoke about that in the 80ths. But the older Victoria and Carl-Philip became less opposition the king spoke
Obviously, once Victoria was old enough to understand what he father was saying, he had to stop. Otherwise it would seem like to her that he was choosing a favorite amongst his children
Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Prince Carl Philip during the “Little Child” foundation award ceremony in Stockholm,
October 29, 2010. The foundation is supporting neonatal research.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** svenskdam.se: Prins Carl Philip delade ut pris för Lilla barnets skull **
Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Are grey and red theme colours for this charity?
It's wonderful to see, and for such a good cause as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I don't think so, or have you found a hint on that? I thought it's simply been
his fashion choice

Here's another article with pics of the event:

** bakomkulisserna.svenskdam.se: Carl Philip på jobbet **
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I only asked because CP is wearing Red and grey, as is the man he hands the prize too.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

The red is too loud for the gray suit.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Carl Philip is very handsome. I only wish he would lay off the styling gel. It makes his hair look greasy.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

Prins Carl Philips nya uppdrag – heja fram Sverige i kocktävling | Svensk Damtidning

Prince Carl Philip will support Sweden in a cookery competition in Lyon next January.

Closed Thread

Tags
carl philip, current events, prince carl philip