Prince Carl Philip, Current Events Part 3: January 2006 - November 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of folks feel a tad sorry for C-P, because of his loss in the line of succession. (From Wikipedia) Born Crown Prince of Sweden, he retained his title and first place in succession for seven months until 1 January 1980. On that date, he was stripped of both due to a change in the Act of Succession to introduce equal primogeniture. Since then, Prince Carl Philip has been second in the line of succession, after his elder sister, Crown Princess Victoria. However, in the line of succession to the thrones of the Commonwealth realms, Prince Carl Philip is ahead of his elder sister due to those countries all operating male-preference primogeniture.

Had he not been born Crown Prince, then stripped of his inheritance, he could very well have been a very different fellow.

Don't get me wrong, I adore CP Victoria.

I too think the law should not have been changed, but can you imagine Carl-Philip as Heir to the Throne with HIS behavior now?

Something tells me that he is relieved not to have his older sister's responsibilities and burdens as the Heir!:sad:

I too think the law should not have been changed, but can you imagine Carl-Philip as Heir to the Throne with HIS behavior now?

Something tells me that he is relieved not to have his older sister's responsibilities and burdens as the Heir!:sad:

Well, the majority of the support the royal house has comes from the fact that Victoria is the one behaving herself. If she dies without a child we are left with Carl-Philip as the heir to the throne and then the monarchy will see the popularity drop like a stone

I hope soon we can see CP's photo from Stockholm open

.... while Carl Philip just plays around all the time doing basically nothing. ...

The problem for Carl Philip is the lack of a well defined role.
The role of the king is clear; the queen consort has found her niche over the years.
The crown-princess role is to be an understudy and train to take over the sovereign role any time but the role of a 2nd or 3rd tier royal is not well defined, except to "support the king"; this is a vague role in which some people have failed and ended up as bored, unfocused partying royals. One example comes to mind: the late Princess Margaret in the UK. I hope CP is not following this path!

At his age most "normal" people have found jobs, are busy establishing careers, in other words at that age one should have found some direction. CP clearly has not.
They (the court) need to find him something meaningful to do, fast! Ditto for Madeleine and now Daniel.

Madeleine has found something meaningful to do: she does work for World Childhood Foundation. At least she's doing charity work; we have yet to see Carl Philip do the same.

Let's say that CP Victoria had daughters but no sons. If her brother CP Carl Philip had a son, who would be the heir to the throne. Would it be CP Victoria's daughter or CP Carl Philip's son? This sucession stuff confuses me. Forgive me. I'm not up on all this.

:previous:

Princess Victoria's children will come before Carl Philip's, regardless of whether they are male or female. When Victoria has her first child, CP (and Madeleine) will move down the line of succession to 3rd and 4th places - Victoria will still be #1, her first child will be #2. Carl Philip's children will slot in between him and Madeleine, based on order of their birth. Madeleine's children will follow her in the line of succession.

Sounds like the officer at Alnarp is surprised he's still there.
I can't believe he's still in school.

:previous: I don't see anything wrong with that. You wouldn't believe what amounts of studies I would study if I could afford them all. He can afford it so why shouldn't he learn all that what interests him. It's way better than wasting his live endless parties like a lot of sons/daughters of the high society do.

Of course nothings wrong with his attending school, but he can't do that for the rest of his life. I think he uses it as a hideaway;).

I just saw Carl Philip on MSN's front page. That's very surprising considering that the only royals who make front page news most of the time in the US are the British royals. It's about bachelor princes but nonetheless I'm rather surprised.
Hot Princes! - MSN Relationships - Slideshow (Pic 2)

Interesting photo, thanks!
Thernon look at Prince like lion looking at rabbit )))

Poor intelligent boy
These bad Hollywood women have reached our boy ((((

She isn't looking at HIM. She's looking at something, but not him...

But you must also think about the very different societies and different tradition of the royal families between Sweden and UK. There is not a tradition of charity in Sweden in the same way as in the UK and the US for instance - the state takes care of that part :). But ofcourse he could do other things, but i don´t really mind his studying and partly designing.

Adults either do something or nothing...what is "partly designing?" He's always seemed a loafer, but as I've said earlier he did get a raw deal when equal primogeniture was adopted. I wouldn't like being the CP and then suddenly NOT being the CP. That would make me mentally ill...which just might be why he has no interest in anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, but wasn't he hardly a year old when the succession was changed?

Adults either do something or nothing...what is "partly designing?" He's always seemed a loafer, but as I've said earlier he did get a raw deal when equal primogeniture was adopted. I wouldn't like being the CP and then suddenly NOT being the CP. That would make me mentally ill...which just might be why he has no interest in anything.
Umm...he was 7 months old when the equal primogeniture was adopted. Really can't see this cause any damage to him. ;)

I could immagine that it has an effect on a person. Not the fact that the rule was changed, but the fact that every grown up around him knew. And his father did not approve, as far as I know. I think that children are very sensitive to such things "in the air".

Sounds like the officer at Alnarp is surprised he's still there.
I can't believe he's still in school.
Alnarp has a multi year program and he is apparently preparing for the two large estates he is going to be in charge off. He is also a very accomplished designer.

That issue of succession should have been settled before any children were born.

I doubt Victoria let alone Carl Philip remember the time the succession was changed. I am sure he became aware of it at some point and could have possibly harbored some resentment towards Victoria for that but come on...

It just seem odd to me why you would wait until CP Phillip is 7 months old to resolve the issue. I don't know what's all involved in this though. I don't know much about it.

:previous: I don't speak swedish, so my possibilities of research on this are pretty limited. From what I understood, the reform of Act of Succession which changed agnatic primogeniture to equal primogeniture was already adopted in 1979, but become valid on 1.1.1980. That means that they for sure haven't waited until CP was 7 months old. Every law takes its time to be prepared and approved by parliament and Act of Succession is a part of Swedish Constituion, so I assume that the talks about changing it already started at latest after Victoria was born.

So it's not like they've just decided out of the blue that Victoria will become Crown Princess. The King, wheter he liked it or not, must have been aware of the change even before CP was born.

As for the influence that this had on CP. Yes, every adult around him knew. Years later also he understood, but it's not like he has been growing up like a Crown Prince and on his 18th birthday they suddenly told him: "Well, we don't need you anymore and your older sister will be Crown Princess from now on." In that case it would influence him for sure, but not when the change happend while he was a little baby. He has been growing up like "only" 2nd in line, but with the though that one day he'd have much more possibilities what to do with his life, that his older sister will ever have.

Legislation process to change the law of succession had indeed started before the birth of Carl Philip. I think that not even Queen Silvia's second pregnancy was announced yet when the bill started going through all the necessary motions. There was no probabolity that the bill would fail to pass, so it was clear to everyone since long before Carl Philip's birth that the firstborn would come to inherit the throne.

The problem is that the succession law has to be changed by the Government and not by the royal Family. So if the Government does nothing like at the moment in Spain they can do nothing . As for Sweden As far as i know there where General-Elections in the autumn of 1979. And that new elected Parliament had to vote for the new Act of succession before it could dome in force. So there was no way to pass the law before the birth of Carl Philip.

Last edited:
That issue of succession should have been settled before any children were born.

Why do you say this?

I can see what nascarlucy could mean with her statement. They could have avoided a lot of "what's" and "if's" and "CP is jealous of /angry at V, because she is CP and not he", "CP feels cheated", "CP is wasting his life because he was robbed of his rights" blablabla if the swedes would have been just a few month faster with the changes in this law.

The Swedish parliament should have decided the succession issue long before any children were born. That's just my opinion, since it sounds like they were considering changes in the succession law to begin with. This is just common sense IMO. If they had a have a special session to do so, then so be it. Again this is just my opinion.

The Swedish parliament should have decided the succession issue long before any children were born. That's just my opinion, since it sounds like they were considering changes in the succession law to begin with. This is just common sense IMO. If they had a have a special session to do so, then so be it. Again this is just my opinion.

Changes to the succession were discussed before the children were born, but it was a long process. Silvia was already 32 when she married (going on to 33) in an era when most women had children in their 20s. Neither it seems were prepared to delay having children and there was always a 50% chance their first born would be a boy. The succession law not only changed to first born is the heir but that females would have succession rights too, none of Carl Gustav's sisters were in line to the throne.

Once they had a girl, again it didn't stop them having more children (the 2nd could have been a girl as well!) contrast this with the Spanish where because of the succession law controversy (males come first) Felipe and Letizia have been advised not to have more children in case the next one is a boy.

Victoria was asked in an interview if she and Carl Philip had ever discussed the change in succession law, she said neither had. It wasn't something that concerned them, both were far too young for it to have affected them. Had they been older then the same situation as in Norway would have happened, the succession law was change in 1990, by which time Haakon who is younger than his sister had been trained to be the heir, Martha Louise said since she didn't have the training it would be better than the succession laws related to future generations, and leave the younger male sibling as the current heir.

The parliment started to work at a change of the constitution after Victoria was born to ensure that the first child inherit the throne, and even more important to give female succetion rights if there would have only been girls born in the royal family. But a change in the constitution has to be voted on twice by the parliment with a general referendum held in between - so it takes time.

The thing that the king opposed was not to give the females succession rights but that the law took away Carl-Philips title as he had been born before the law came in to effect - and he meant that it would have been better to let him keep it as he was born as crownprince and let the full equal rights to the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom