General News about the Swedish Royal Family, Part 1: April 2015 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give the exact family tree to position this 'second cousin of Carl Gustaf's father'... Thanks in advance!

Can anyone give the exact family tree to position this 'second cousin of Carl Gustaf's father'... Thanks in advance!
King Carl Gustaf is the great-great-grandson of King Oscar II while the late Count Oscar was the great-grandson of Oscar II through his son Prince Oscar who married morganaticaly to noblewoman Ebba Munck af Fulkila.

King Oscar II - Queen Sofia
||
Prince Oscar Bernadotte - Ebba Munck
||
Count Carl - Baroness Marianne De Geer
||
Count Oscar
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

King Oscar II - Queen Sofia
||
King Gustav V - Queen Victoria
||
King Gustav VI Adolf - CP Margareta
||
Prince Gustav Adolf - Princess Sibylla
||
King Carl XVI Gustav

Last edited:
8 photos showing why we love our royal family
1. A warm and happy family!
- a photo of the royal family in summer 2017 in Solliden
2. They always represent Sweden
- a photo of Victoria and Daniel with William and Catherine
3. They show love to each other - and to the people
- a photo from the king's 70th birthday
4. They engage in important issues
- a photo of Victoria at her hikes
5. They are good role models
- a photo of Daniel at Prince Daniel's race
6. They invite us to great feasts
- a photo from Victoria's birthday in 2018 in Solliden
7. They are never selfish with laughter and smiles
- a photo of Estelle
8. Three generations - our Swedish Succession
- a stamp of the king, Victoria and Estelle
8 bilder som visar varför vi älskar vår kungafamilj

Expressen has published their annual photo book/magazine "Kungaåret 2018" (The Royal Year 2018). In 2013-2016 the magazine was published with name "Året med Estelle & Kungafamiljen" (The Year with Estelle & The Royal Family).
The magazine has 84 pages and 198 photos of the royal family's year.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Since the thread "Swedish Royal Videos & Sound Clips (+ coming TV appearances)" is closed, I put these here.

This evening at 20.00 at TV4 and TV4Play is broadcasted TV4's annual program of the royal family "Kungahuset 2018". Here is a link to the program (you have to register but it is free) - but now you can only watch it if you are in Sweden...
Kungahuset 2018 - Streama gratis på TV4 Play

A short clip from the program, Victoria and Daniel in Jordan, visiting Al Hussein Society organization, a rehabilitation center for people suffering from a disability. Also a part of Victoria's interview.
Kronprinsessan Victoria besöker ett rehabiliteringscenter I Amman_ “Jag fick tårar i ögonen” - TV4 Play

A short clip from the program, Estelle's first school day.
Följ med på prinsessan Estelles första skoldag - Streama gratis på TV4 Play

Program host Jesper Börjesson was today at TV4 News morning interviewed about the program, also some clips from the program are shown. Börjesson says that it has been an exciting year, he has been everywhere with the royal family. Börjesson has spoken about the crisis at the Swedish Academy with the king. About the trip with Victoria and Daniel to Jordan and Lebanon Börjesson says that it was a very strong trip, both to him and the crown princess couple. The visit to the refugee camp was extremely moving. Börjesson says that that happened on his birthday, and when he called to his family after the visit, he cried. The crown princess sees everyone, she goes to speak with people one would not expect a royal would speak. Her smile, she gives hope. Börjesson has taken part in one of Victoria's hikes and says that she keeps a tough tempo (which we can see from the clip). There are a lot of journalists and staff from the county administrative boards who are not used to walk at Victoria's tempo and Börjesson jokes that Victoria does some health care for the journalists. Börjesson is very impressed of queen Silvia's work and tells that in Japan people queued to her seminar to hear what she has to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having watched "Kungahuset 2018"
At the program was shown:
Victoria's province hike in Småland, Victoria was interviewed
The king and queen on a visit to Japan: among others the meeting with the emperor and empress and the king and queen were interviewed
Adrienne's christening
Victoria and Daniel in Jordan and Lebanon: On Jordan Trail, visiting Al Hussein Society, meeting Abdullah and Rania, meeting the president and prime minister of Lebanon, visit to the refugee camp and at the Multi-Stakeholder Forum.
Estelle's first school day
Carl Philip and Sofia in Värmland: Dyslexia Fair, Sofia at a dance studio and they were interviewed
King Carl Gustaf was interviewed about the crisis in Swedish Academy and other things.
Queen Silvia was interviewed in Solliden about aging and how it is to be a queen and a person who is followed all the time.
Also very shortly shown among other things Madeleine and Leonore at a Childhood Day, Carl Philip Sofia and Alexander in Södermanland, the National Day, opening of the Riksdag, William and Kate's visit, solar cells at the Royal Palace, Italian State visit, the Polar Music Prize, the Nobel Prize ...

The main thing at the program was Victoria's and Daniel's visit to Jordan and Lebanon.
Victoria told very well why they did this visit. Daniel was also interviewed at Al Hussein Society. Daniel said that making these visits with his wife is fun and it is great that they can talk about their sometimes very hard and moving impressions with each other many times, also when some time has passed.

Hello Jesper! Tell me, what can viewers expect from this year's program?
- It will be both laughter, tears and drama. I have followed the royal family both during their travels, at Solliden, at baptism and school start. Our ambition is to portray their lives - both at work and outside. They are incredible ambassadors for this country.
What moment or reportage will you carry with you?
- I went with the Crown Princess to Jordan and Lebanon and it was a very moving journey. We visited both refugee camps and a rehab center for children. When we were in the refugee camp, where Palestinian refugees have lived for generations, we experienced a tremendous poverty but there was also hope. I was completely cracked when we left and I actually sat down and cried. The Crown Princess was also noticeably taken.
How do you experience Crown Princess Victoria as a person?
- It's amazing how she gets everyone she meets to feel that they are seen. She really stops and notices everyone. When we were in Beirut, the working days were 12 hours long and after that the Crown Princess would often go to an official dinner. She has an incredible energy!
Was there anything funny that happened when the camera was turned off?
- When we were at Solliden - in the middle of the fantastic flower splendor - Queen Silvia picked up the phone to show me a picture she had taken over the natural landscape out on Drottningholm. She has great garden interest. It was also fun to walk around with the king at the Palace. We passed the classic "engagement couch", the king said: "We save it".
Do you think, as an experienced journalist, that there is a difference between interviewing royalty compared to other public people?
- Both yes and no. Certainly, you should remember to address them correctly but otherwise they are quite ordinary people. The special thing is that they cannot go anywhere without a camera following.
TV4_s Jesper Börjesson om mötet med Victoria_ _Otrolig energi_ _ Svensk Damtidning

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrzbXJCAuwN/

Last edited:
Since the thread "Swedish Royal Videos & Sound Clips (+ coming TV appearances)" is closed, I put these here.

SVT published last night at SVT Play "Året med kungafamiljen" (The Year with the Royal Family), which will be broadcasted on 1st January at SVT1.
It was especially fun to see a long clip of Daniel at the inauguration of the Ugglebo Arena in Ockelbo, playing icehockey with the superstars, with his family and friends watching.
Shown at the program:
Queen Silvia interviewed in Solliden
Carl Philip, Sofia and Alexander in Södermanland
Victoria's birthday (Oscar running to Victoria's arms, awww!)
Victoria, Daniel, Estelle and Oscar picking up litter on Öland
The king at the Royal Palace: the solar cells are put to the roof, the king is interviewed about being the regent longest on the throne, the king's birthday
Short clips: State visit from Iceland, the king and queen visiting SVT, Global Child Forum, The king, queen, Victoria and Daniel visiting Pau in October
The king and queen visiting Japan
Victoria chosen as the Öland Inhabitant of the Year and Victoria's hike on Öland
Madeleine and Leonore on Childhood Day
Adrienne's christening
Daniel inaugurating the Ugglebo Arena in Ockelbo with former hockey superstars
Victoria at the Paralympic Games
Sofia's day at her office and at Visa vägen-gala
Carl Philip at Volvo Ocean Race in the Netherlands
Victoria and Daniel's visit to Jordan and Lebanon
The king presents the Bernadotte Library and is interviewed about the problems in the Swedish Academy
The Nobel Banquet
Året med kungafamiljen - Året med kungafamiljen 2018 _ SVT Play

SVT has also published special, long videos of some events shown at the program and some events which were not shown:
The crown princess family picking up litter at a beach on Öland. Victoria is interviewed, she tells about her and family's love for Öland and about littering and microplaster. She tells about that also to Estelle and Oscar. Estelle is very enthusiastic in picking up litter.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kronprinsessfamiljen på stranden _ SVT Play

The crown princess at the Paralympic Games, Victoria is also interviewed during the clip
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kronprinsessan på Paralympics _ SVT Play

The crown princess's hike in Bohuslän, Victoria is hiking in Bohuslän on 24th May.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kronprinsessans vandring i Bohuslän _ SVT Play

The royal family in France
The king is interviewed, the royal couple and crown princess couple visit Pau to celebrate Bernadotte Dynasty 200 years on the swedish throne and reinauguration of the Bernadotte Museum, where the king and queen are interviewed.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kungafamiljen i Frankrike _ SVT Play

The queen in Solliden. A long interview with the queen in Solliden in July.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Drottningen på Solliden _ SVT Play

A day with princess Sofia. Sofia tells about her work at her office at the Palace, is shown at a car and at Visa vägen -gala.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ En dag med prinsessan Sofia _ SVT Play

Last edited:
Screen shots from Året med kungafamiljen

From the visit to Pau

Victoria, Daniel and the children picking up litter on Öland

Last edited:

SVT published last night at SVT Play "Året med kungafamiljen" (The Year with the Royal Family), which will be broadcasted on 1st January at SVT1.
It was especially fun to see a long clip of Daniel at the inauguration of the Ugglebo Arena in Ockelbo, playing icehockey with the superstars, with his family and friends watching.
Shown at the program:
Queen Silvia interviewed in Solliden
Carl Philip, Sofia and Alexander in Södermanland
Victoria's birthday (Oscar running to Victoria's arms, awww!)
Victoria, Daniel, Estelle and Oscar picking up litter on Öland
The king at the Royal Palace: the solar cells are put to the roof, the king is interviewed about being the regent longest on the throne, the king's birthday
Short clips: State visit from Iceland, the king and queen visiting SVT, Global Child Forum, The king, queen, Victoria and Daniel visiting Pau in October
The king and queen visiting Japan
Victoria chosen as the Öland Inhabitant of the Year and Victoria's hike on Öland
Madeleine and Leonore on Childhood Day
Adrienne's christening
Daniel inaugurating the Ugglebo Arena in Ockelbo with former hockey superstars
Sofia's day at her office and at Visa vägen-gala
Carl Philip at Volvo Ocean Race in the Netherlands
Victoria and Daniel's visit to Jordan and Lebanon
The king presents the Bernadotte Library and is interviewed about the problems in the Swedish Academy
The Nobel Banquet
Året med kungafamiljen - Året med kungafamiljen 2018 _ SVT Play

SVT has also published special, long videos of some events shown at the program and some events which were not shown:
The crown princess family picking up litter at a beach on Öland. Victoria is interviewed, she tells about her and family's love for Öland and about littering and microplaster. She tells about that also to Estelle and Oscar. Estelle is very enthusiastic in picking up litter.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kronprinsessfamiljen på stranden _ SVT Play

The crown princess at the Paralympic Games, Victoria is also interviewed during the clip
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kronprinsessan på Paralympics _ SVT Play

The crown princess's hike in Bohuslän, Victoria is hiking in Bohuslän on 24th May.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kronprinsessans vandring i Bohuslän _ SVT Play

The royal family in France
The king is interviewed, the royal couple and crown princess couple visit Pau to celebrate Bernadotte Dynasty 200 years on the swedish throne and reinauguration of the Bernadotte Museum, where the king and queen are interviewed.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Kungafamiljen i Frankrike _ SVT Play

The queen in Solliden. A long interview with the queen in Solliden in July.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ Drottningen på Solliden _ SVT Play

A day with princess Sofia. Sofia tells about her work at her office at the Palace, is shown at a car and at Visa vägen -gala.
Året med kungafamiljen - Special_ En dag med prinsessan Sofia _ SVT Play

i enjoyed watching some of these videos. at some points, it looks like the royal family members are being interviewed and that it is not just footage from the events (the king and queen, sofia are all seen talking to the cameramen), would anyone be able to tell us the main points that they mention?

Thank you for posting LadyFinn - I always look forward to Aret med kungafamiljen! I wish other European RFs had a similar programme summarising the year.
The SRF are my favourite European RF; they all seem very down to earth and approachable. Silvia and Victoria seem particularly friendly and chatty and as usual it was sweet to see the clips of the children - loved the first half of Alexander with the pony and Estelle and Oscar at the beach. Estelle seems to be particularly fond of nature.

Stoppa pressarna wrote yesterday, that the king and queen will spend the New Year in Miami with Madeleine and family. Stoppa pressarna wrote that they left today in the morning with a SAS plane. The magazine also speculated that there have been rumours that Carl Philip and Sofia and Victoria and Daniel would also go to Miami but they hadn't got confirmed information about this.
Kungens nyårsbomb_ firar i Miami _ Stoppa Pressarna

Seems strange when Margareta Thorgren said that Madeleine and family would spend some weeks in Stockholm. They only arrived on 17th December.

Like last year, I tried to calculate how many days the Royal Family members worked on publicly announced/shared events during 2018. I also looked at their official international trips abroad (19 different countries visited this year). I am not sure if anyone is interested but I thought I would share here just incase it peaks anyone's interest.

Swedish Royal Family: 2018 Work in Review — Swedish Royal Fashion

LadyFinn- I went through all the Social Media Accounts I could find to try and get all of Daniel's events because I agree with you that it is shame the court doesn't share more about his work with Prins Daniel Fellowship and GenPep.

Like last year, I tried to calculate how many days the Royal Family members worked on publicly announced/shared events during 2018. I also looked at their official international trips abroad (19 different countries visited this year). I am not sure if anyone is interested but I thought I would share here just incase it peaks anyone's interest.

Thank you for your tally. Interesting to know that you also do a tally for the Danish Royals.

Last edited:

LadyFinn- I went through all the Social Media Accounts I could find to try and get all of Daniel's events because I agree with you that it is shame the court doesn't share more about his work with Prins Daniel Fellowship and GenPep.

The court publish NOT all official events of the royal family!

The court publish NOT all official events of the royal family!

That is exactly what I attempted to highlight in my post, we only see a portion of the work they do. And these numbers are much more impressive when you view them thinking about that, the amount of work they publish is only half the work that they really do. (Also gives me a bigger appreciation for the press office/personal secretaries- it is amazing that any of them sleep!)

Calculating the days the royals work doesn't tell everything about how much the royals work. King Carl Gustaf has sometimes six, maybe even seven work events in a day, making long days. When he gives audiences to four ambassadors, each audience lasts about 20 minutes with a break between them. When someone else can have a meeting at the Royal Palace that lasts 30 minutes. But they both worked one day.
And if you compare Daniel and Carl Philip: if you look at the court calendar (which isn't good at all), Daniel has this year had 17 work days, in which he has had more than one work event, Carl Philip has 5 days. The difference in their work load is much bigger than what you get if you calculate only work days. Besides, Daniel has had 6 visits with Prince Daniel's Fellowship entrepreneurial programme. They visit two schools/universities and the days last 6-7 hours + travelling.
And the court doesn't make the calculation easy, because at the calendar they list for instance to the state visits only the king and queen attending, although then at the articles they may mention, that the others attended too.

Stoppa pressarna wrote yesterday, that the king and queen will spend the New Year in Miami with Madeleine and family. Stoppa pressarna wrote that they left today in the morning with a SAS plane. The magazine also speculated that there have been rumours that Carl Philip and Sofia and Victoria and Daniel would also go to Miami but they hadn't got confirmed information about this.
Kungens nyårsbomb_ firar i Miami _ Stoppa Pressarna

Seems strange when Margareta Thorgren said that Madeleine and family would spend some weeks in Stockholm. They only arrived on 17th December.

The saga continues. They cannot get their story straight...

Calculating the days the royals work doesn't tell everything about how much the royals work. King Carl Gustaf has sometimes six, maybe even seven work events in a day, making long days. When he gives audiences to four ambassadors, each audience lasts about 20 minutes with a break between them. When someone else can have a meeting at the Royal Palace that lasts 30 minutes. But they both worked one day.
And if you compare Daniel and Carl Philip: if you look at the court calendar (which isn't good at all), Daniel has this year had 17 work days, in which he has had more than one work event, Carl Philip has 5 days. The difference in their work load is much bigger than what you get if you calculate only work days. Besides, Daniel has had 6 visits with Prince Daniel's Fellowship entrepreneurial programme. They visit two schools/universities and the days last 6-7 hours + travelling.
And the court doesn't make the calculation easy, because at the calendar they list for instance to the state visits only the king and queen attending, although then at the articles they may mention, that the others attended too.

Oh I completely agree- it doesn't tell the whole story, which is something I wrote multiple times in the post. However, there is not anyone following every member around with a stopwatch to track how long each event takes so the next best thing that I have found to do is to calculate the days.

The Court Calendar does not make it easy, which is why I used the calendar, court articles, photos, social media, and press releases from various organizations to calculate the days. This was not done to say "___ worked only ___ much" or "___ works more than ___". Rather it was done because I was curious about the trends from year to year (which there are some, each member has an average number of days they work each month, normally they only vary 1-2 days from that average), and since I did the work, I thought others might be interested.

Last edited:
The saga continues. They cannot get their story straight...

I thought Victoria, Daniel, and the kids were going skiing in Norway?

And I did expect Madeleine, Chris, and the kids to spend more than two weeks in Sweden.

Sometimes I feel that Margareta Thorgren is terrible at her job :lol: I wonder if it's because I only read the Google translation of what she says. She never quite knows what's going on and why.

Last edited:
I thought Victoria, Daniel, and the kids were going skiing in Norway?

The article about spending New Year in Miami was published before Stoppa pressarna published the news about the crown princess family spending New Year in Trysil.

The royal court published at its Facebook this evening a video of photos
The Royal Family 2018
A brief look back to the Royal Family's 2018.
Happy New Year!
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset/videos/vb.133515803374007/2159943557390985/?type=2&theater

Last edited:
But Norway's "The Year with the Royal Family" program has its own segment. I had not seen it yet, and I created this thread because I did not know where to put the link.

From Expressen

Therefore, Chris O'Neill is not included in SVT's royal program
"The year with the royal family" has become a tradition in SVT. Every year since 1977, the television program with highlights from the royal year is shown. In exclusive interviews, the royal family members tell about the past year and give a unique insight into their lives.
So even this year. The King and Silvia, as well as Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine with their respective families. Almost.
Madeleine's husband Chris O'Neill is in principle not visible in this year's program.
- Mr Christopher O'Neill is a private person. There has been no interview planned with Christopher O'Neill in SVT's "The Year with the Royal Family" 2018, says Johan Tegel, information officer at the court.
Only when pictures of Princess Adrienne's baptism are shown Chris O'Neill is seen.
But there the pictures of Chris O'Neill end in the program. Instead, viewers get to follow Madeleine and Leonore to Gröna lund and Carl Philip, Sofia and Alexander to Nynäs nature reserve. In addition, the Crown Princess family is seen in several different constellations in different places.
The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren, means that the lack of Chris O'Neill depends, among other things, on the princess family's move to Florida.
- The court always hopes that SVT will show the king and his family's official mission. This year, Chris hasn't participated in any major separate official programs. The Princess family has also moved to the US during the autumn and announced in the summer that they don't participate in any official programs for some time, says Thorgren.
Otherwise, Thorgren refers to SVT.
Sara Bull, producer for "The year with the royal family" says it wasn't really an opportunity to film Chris O'Neill more.
- It hasn't really been an opportunity this year. It has become a little different over the years, the program looks different every year. It is a fairly large family nowadays, and this year it has not become an opportunity to film Chris O'Neill. But we'll see, maybe next year.
Sara Bull has produced the program eight times and says that the work with the program has changed as the royal family has become larger.
- It will be tougher to choose and leave out of course, but it will also be more fun. It will be a bigger challenge simply because there is so much you want to fit in with the program. The members of the royal family have different focus areas and I think it makes it a richer program, more varied and exciting for the viewers.
Därför är Chis O'Neill inte med i Året med Kungafamiljen

Last edited:
A new photo agency focusing on royals - Swedish Press Agency - was launched on 1st January. Photographer Pelle T Nilsson, who takes great photos, is one of the photographers at the Agency.
https://www.instagram.com/swedishpressagency/
Swedish Press Agency

Video from the Sweden dinner on 22nd September 2017, from Youtube of the Royal Palaces.

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, Carl Philip, Sofia and their children have been/are in Florida.
Yesterday they were at a polo match in Wellington, about an hour drive from Miami.
Silvia & Sofia von Schweden_ Urlaub bei Madeleine! In Florida lassen sie die Seele baumeln _ BUNTE.de

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsZHQrgDw2E/?utm_source=ig_embed

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Nice to see them all in Florida together, I presume they were visiting Madeleine and her family?

I heard in the news, that the crown jewels are found... Is there informations somewhere in the Forum about the theft? I am surprised, that I didn't hear about this in the previous year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom