Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, General News Part 1: June - September 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Sweden this discussion doesn't seem to be so much up anymore. Or does someone have another opinion?

Media discovered that even antiroyals came out in support of the couple so its not newsworthy anymore

Stockholm - Sweden's anti-corruption unit has received six complaints into "improper" wedding gifts received by Princess Victoria and her husband on their recent honeymoon, the unit told the German Press Agency dpa on Wednesday.

The princess, 33, and her husband, 36-year-old Daniel Westling, a former fitness instructor and entrepreneur, flew to French Polynesia on a private jet and then took a week-long cruise on a yacht after their June wedding.

Both the jet and the yacht are owned by Bertil Hult, founder of the EF language schools company.

The anti-corruption unit said that several of the complaints had referred to reports in the tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet, which estimated that the cost of renting a private jet or yacht was several million kronor (hundreds of thousands of dollars).

The complainants had said that acceptance of such gifts was improper and could be regarded as a bribe.

The unit said that no decision as to a possible investigation into the complaints had yet been made.

"It was a private trip and a wedding gift from an old friend of the royal family," the royal palace told dpa, declining further comment.

The newly-weds recently returned to Sweden but have no official engagements until August 21, when the country celebrates the 200th anniversary of the election of French marshal Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte as heir to the Swedish throne.

It's too absurd for words. Royals have of course rich and influential people among their friends. What would a billionaire friend have given for a present instead? A salt and pepper set? Gimme a break!

Nonsense.The man is a friend and if someone loves to start nagging on any given issue then he better pick something else.
Victoria has done nothing wrong,it's just the plebs without an extra buck ,and in this case the editor of a
so-called "republican paper",who gets jealous and vicious towards the Prince and Princess without any
legal ground.The editor of that so-called republican paper should be dragged to Court for libel but that
would give him too much exposure not worth the guy.Friends do what friends do and it's nobodies darn business.At all.
This is just a gross case of nitpicking and nothing else.The editors should be slammed silly by the decent press.

Is my opinion (and others by the way).
It's fair to say that what you stated is "nonsense" IMO ?
But I'm better than that I like to think. I think everybody can stated his opinion on this forum and should not be insulted by other posters.
Another poster was far to polite and I agreed with it : that is too much to say is bribe but to receive expensive ghifts from tycoons is not right.

Oh my, this is just too absurd. It was just a wedding present, give them a break. The 3 complaining people can pay for the trip if they really wish.

I think everybody can state his opinion on this forum and should not be insulted by other posters.

I agree with you ClaudiaE, some posters don't know how to disagree "politëly"; this is key to maintainig a good blog.

:hug: This is my ideea too altagrace.
:wine: for anothers debates (politly ones).

The media in general often have a problem with distinguishing between "power" and "influence". Almost anyone can try to get influence (whether royal or not).
But power can be wielded by politicians, not members of a royal court.

Is my opinion (and others by the way).
It's fair to say that what you stated is "nonsense" IMO ?
But I'm better than that I like to think. I think everybody can stated his opinion on this forum and should not be insulted by other posters.
Another poster was far to polite and I agreed with it : that is too much to say is bribe but to receive expensive ghifts from tycoons is not right.

Read again,that should make it clear to you and your others that what i pointed at as nonsense is the perticular hulabaloo by that so-called republican paper.That was not only Nonsense but Libel and they should be out of business because of it.Freedom of speech is one thing but abuse has become the norm and I'll fight that.Always.

Thank god there's this self-made billionair and he has companies in Sweden,ofcourse,and employs people,if I were him I would buy that paper and kick 'm all out on the streets so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.The man has many companies,what if he would withdraw all of 'm from Sweden and point a fat finger at that paper?What would be left of it?Shreds.

Oh my, this is just too absurd. It was just a wedding present, give them a break. The 3 complaining people can pay for the trip if they really wish.

:flowers:
LOL!!That makes sense,refreshing!

While I find the curruption thing way over the top, I dont like the fact that a rich business man forks out the money for the CP couple. how odd is that, its a matter of principle that the SRF should have payed for the trip, yes, royals do have rich friends etc but this one is too obvious, its the honeymoon, what a strange "present", its not good to see royals getting involved with business people, even if they are friends, to such a degree.

CG must be very sure that there is no skeleton hidden in some closet because if there was, the SRF would be running the risk of a big scandal, another one I almost have to add.

Royals should at least try to stay neutral, this honeymoon stunt is milking connections par excellence, to me its rather embarrassing to do a freeloader for weeks on the highest level. Its ok to have a honeymoon but this one is going on and on and on and on top somebody else is paying for it, I can see why some polls in Sweden show the idea of monarchy is in decline.

Matte, why should there be such a hoo-haa about a fence?

The couple and their staff will need a fence, especially when children come along.

Matte, why should there be such a hoo-haa about a fence?

The couple and their staff will need a fence, especially when children come along.

Dont ask me, i only tried to translate the most important things. Sometimes i dont get Aftonbladet at all

Did Hult actually pay for their honeymoon? Or did he just lend them the ressources he already has and regularly pays for like the airplane, its crew and the yacht and its crew? I think that the very rich and the royals share the need for a place and circumstances where they can relax undisturbed by the crowd and secure, they play in the same league. I would certainly let friends of mine use my holiday home for their honeymoon without thinking of it as a matter of money. If I owned such a place, which I don't...

And talking of a benefit in it for Hult: I never heard of the man before, but now the name Bertil Hult means something for me. It was certainy excellent propaganda, done for free by the press, not by the royal couple.

And talking of a benefit in it for Hult: I never heard of the man before, but now the name Bertil Hult means something for me. It was certainy excellent propaganda, done for free by the press, not by the royal couple.

And how do you know that it wasn't his goal for the begining with such an expensive gift???
This is the trap in my opinion:flowers:

Read again,that should make it clear to you and your others that what i pointed at as nonsense is the perticular hulabaloo by that so-called republican paper.That was not only Nonsense but Libel and they should be out of business because of it.Freedom of speech is one thing but abuse has become the norm and I'll fight that.Always.

Thank god there's this self-made billionair and he has companies in Sweden,ofcourse,and employs people,if I were him I would buy that paper and kick 'm all out on the streets so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.The man has many companies,what if he would withdraw all of 'm from Sweden and point a fat finger at that paper?What would be left of it?Shreds.

I'm sorry but I think you like the Russian style. Putin closed a paper/journal because he didn't like what was writing in it. I lived in such a country, and I don't want to try this kind of life anymore. I say you think twice and be careful what you wish:whistling:

Did Hult actually pay for their honeymoon? Or did he just lend them the ressources he already has and regularly pays for like the airplane, its crew and the yacht and its crew? I think that the very rich and the royals share the need for a place and circumstances where they can relax undisturbed by the crowd and secure, they play in the same league. I would certainly let friends of mine use my holiday home for their honeymoon without thinking of it as a matter of money. If I owned such a place, which I don't...
How many other royals have been given the joy of using, for a short period, someone else's property? Do they all get pulled over the coals? Is it only the Swedish, or have the British, Dutch, Spanish, etc., never been give a chance to use someone else's property? If they have, was there an uproar in that country?

Years ago there wasn't. Didn't Prince Charles and Diana stay on someone's yacht? I don't remember anyone making a fuss over that. It seems like today people make much a do about nothing.

IMO, if a family friend (that happens to be rich), gives them a free lift and place to stay, so what. Is it really any of anyone else's business? People do it all the time. I just hope they had a wonderful time and this little mess doesn't get them down right after such a wonderful time in their life.

Years ago there wasn't. Didn't Prince Charles and Diana stay on someone's yacht? I don't remember anyone making a fuss over that. It seems like today people make much a do about nothing.

Yes, a rich friend of Prince Charles took them on a yacht for a cruise. I hope this is bothering the Crown Princess and Prince.:ermm:

I'm sorry but I think you like the Russian style. Putin closed a paper/journal because he didn't like what was writing in it. I lived in such a country, and I don't want to try this kind of life anymore. I say you think twice and be careful what you wish:whistling:

I understand where you come from saying this.This however,wasn't true but pure libel and they should be accounted for,yes.
It is a pure smear campaign by a paper and three fools,if anything had happened here in the same context,I would have gone
after them myself and not just dragged them to Court only.You bet.

Last edited:
I can well immagine that Hult wanted the extra attention of the media, and he probably has the power to make sure his name is in the press as often as it was. 'Cause, honestly, after the first time who of us needed to know what the name of the yacht owner was? But then that it is the problem of the press, not the couple. How much would it have costed to do a similarily discreet trip? I do not see the problem, is what I want to say. Other royals do and have done the same. Princess Diana was out on lovely yachts with different people. And swedens royal family does not have to do Hult a favor for taking on his offer, he already had the benefit.

I agree with you. Many members of Royals Family benefits from their rich friends and vice-versa. And I think all this affair is more imoral than illegal.
Somebody made a complaint and more than sure the Prosecutors will say that they did not broke the law. End of affair.
But... their image had suffered .:sad:
In my country the news that Princess Victoria of Sweden is accused of corruption was on TV all day. More than her wedding in the wedding day.
What I want to say (and I end this subject) is they have to be two times careful and cautious with their acts for their sake and their people's sake.
:cheers:

I think it is a stupid affair. It is logical that royals have many rich friends and that they will not give them something cheap as a wedding gift.

If I was not a blogger on this blog, I never would have heard about this. This story has not been on the news in the United States. I haven't seen it on any of the news channels either.

It looks like no matter what this couple did, someone in Sweden or elsewhere would find fault with them or question them. Sad isn't it.

When the Prosecutor says that they did nothing wrong, those accusers should make a public apology to them. Perhaps they should be charged with filing false accusations or slandering the couple (I would think filing false accusations against royalty would be a very serious offense, punishable by law).

I don't even think it is immoral to have wealthy friends and accept gifts from them. What's the difference between any other wedding gift and this one? Mind you, the man owns the plane and yacht anyway, and he will also anyway have to have a crew at his disposal. The royal couple does not retain any wealth from the gift, but an expericence. Again, it was not that V&D forced the media to repeat again and again who owned the yacht and plane. So, if anyone it is the newspapers who are to blame. Maybe they also got a gift from Mr. Hult?

If I was not a blogger on this blog, I never would have heard about this. This story has not been on the news in the United States. I haven't seen it on any of the news channels either.
You are correct, American media is not covering because it is a non-story. Heavens, you would not expect a multi-millionaire to give his country's future queen a toaster for a wedding gift! This was quite proper given his wealth -- actually it probably didn't cost him all that much extra. It was his personal property operated by his employees. Silly trouble making story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom