Queen Noor: News Thread, Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Upcoming article on Noor

Just an FYI, Noor was photographed by the actress Meg Ryan for April issue of "Glamour."

New pictures of QNoor.

Attachments

• 52083432noor1.jpg
    52083432noor1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 52083430noor2.jpg
    52083430noor2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 52083427noor3.jpg
    52083427noor3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 52083423noor4.jpg
    52083423noor4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 247
  • 52083418noo5.jpg
    52083418noo5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 52083416noor6.jpg
    52083416noor6.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 255
H.M. QUEEN NOOR | MONDAY APRIL 11, 2005
of Jordan

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE FACING HUMANITY

Medallion Speaker Series
In the wake of elections in the Palestinian Authority and Iraq, there seems to be a unique window of opportunity for achieving lasting peace and reform in the Middle East. Since 1978, Queen Noor has initiated, directed and sponsored diverse projects and initiatives in Jordan that have addressed issues like education, children and women's rights, and Arab-Western relations. In recognition of her humanitarian efforts to advance democracy and peace around the world, following the program Her Majesty will be presented with our Commonwealth Club medallion.

NOTE: No large purses, bags, backpacks, packages, or briefcases allowed; all guests may be subject to search.

6:45 p.m., Registration | 7:30 p.m., Program | 8:45 p.m., Book signing | California Theatre, 345 S. First Street, San Jose | $20 for Members, $35 for Non-members, $65 for Priority Seating (reserved seating at the front of the theatre), $100 for Premium Seating (includes private reception and reserved seating at the front of theatre – tickets limited).

link:
http://www.commonwealthclub.org/featured.html

QN is going to address the Commonwealth Club of California in San Jose next month and receive an award for her humanitarian work.

-Eliza

PS: courtesy of the Arab Royalty Forums member Coccinelle

Something confuses me about QN, I don't understand where she is living considering the fact that she has sold her D.C. property, can anyone clear that up for me?

-Eliza

PS:- It was her property in D.C. that she sold right? Why did she sell it anyway?

elizahawthorne said:
Something confuses me about QN, I don't understand where she is living considering the fact that she has sold her D.C. property, can anyone clear that up for me?

-Eliza

PS:- It was her property in D.C. that she sold right? Why did she sell it anyway?

I only know that she bought a huge property in NYC, about 3 years ago, I suppose she's living there, there were rumours that she sold her house in Washington DC 'cos she needed money, if that's true, I bet that's what got Hamzah so mad at his mum, that House in Washington had a special meaning to KH, - when he had a few days out of Mayo Clinic, during his chemio treatments , the last months be4e his death, they all used to meet in this House in Washington DC, he, QN, his kids. I read that the Washington House meant alot to KH.

Queen Noor of Jordan to Speak at California Theatre

April 11 Lecture Sponsored by Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley

</FONT>

SAN JOSE, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 03/21/2005 -- Her Majesty Queen Noor of Jordan will provide her unique perspective on events in the Middle East when she visits the California Theatre in San José on Monday, April 11, an event sponsored by the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley.

Queen Noor, the American-born widow of King Hussein of Jordan, reigned as the Middle Eastern nation's queen from 1978 until 1999. She was born Lisa Najeeb Halaby in Washington, D.C., in 1951. She is the stepmother of His Highness King Abdullah II, the current ruler of the kingdom.

A graduate of Princeton University, her public life has been marked by a commitment to many causes, both at home in Jordan and abroad. Queen Noor has sponsored and directed activities throughout her nation to address the kingdom's needs, from education and community development to environmental conservation and the welfare of women and children. Internationally, she has assumed a role of leadership in the banishment of landmines as well as the education of the world's children.

The Queen is also a best-selling author, having penned her 1999 autobiography, "Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life."

Leaders of the Commonwealth Club were pleased at the prospect of having a woman of the Queen's stature visit San José.

"We are pleased to be able to honor Queen Noor in this wonderfully restored, majestic venue," said Trish Newfarmer, director of the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley. "Its capacity helps us ensure that all who wish to come honor this remarkable woman will be able to do so. Until now, there really has not been the perfect venue for this type of event -- we are pleased that there now is."

The visit also drew praise from Team San José, the public benefit corporation that operates the 77-year-old, 1,119-seat theater, reopened in September 2004 after an extensive renovation. Since its reopening, the theater has played host to a number of events, including the 2004-2005 season of Opera San José, a weeklong screening of the cinematic classic "Casablanca," and the unveiling of Apple's new iPod line, co-hosted by Apple executives and new Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees U2.

"The Queen's visit will allow us to showcase the splendor and versatility of this beautifully restored venue," said Michael Ross, CEO of Team San José.

Registration for the event begins at 6:45 p.m. The Queen will speak at 7:30 p.m., and will sign copies of her book at 8:45 p.m. Tickets for the event are $20 for Commonwealth Club members and $35 for non-members. Priority seating is also available for $65. For reservations, please call 800.847.7730 or visit http://www.commonwealthclub.org/sv.html.

About The Commonwealth Club

The Commonwealth Club began hosting programs in Silicon Valley in the late 1980s to provide a convenient face-to-face forum for public discussion to the growing population of what has become one of the most influential regions of the United States and the world. In May 1997, through a merger with the existing World Forum of Silicon Valley, the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley was established to provide a broad public forum for the South Bay. Today the Club hosts numerous events from Palo Alto to downtown San Jose. For more information about the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley, visit http://www.commonwealthclub.org.

About Team San José

Team San José, a public benefit corporation, was founded in December 2003, for the exclusive purpose of ensuring that the City of San José's six convention and cultural facilities are managed more efficiently and responsive to customer needs. The Team San José Board of Directors is composed of local community stakeholders, including hoteliers, organized labor, cultural arts groups and the convention and visitors bureau. These stakeholders share in the sales and marketing of the facilities, and ultimately, the collaboration will enhance customer experience, reduce operating costs and improve the overall economic impact to San José businesses. 408 Almaden BoulevardSan José, California 95110Phone: 408.295.9600Fax: 408.295.3937Web: www.sanjose.org

CONTACT:Marie VasquezSenior Marketing Manager408.792.4125mvasquez@sanjose.orgSOURCE: Team San José

link:
http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=83075

after reading the press release I just posted in the previous post, I'm wondering if she has a house in CA too? Doesn't she have one in VA?

tipper said:
I only know that she bought a huge property in NYC, about 3 years ago, I suppose she's living there, there were rumours that she sold her house in Washington DC 'cos she needed money
She sold her estate in Maryland, mainly to simplify her life. She looked at properties in NYC and on Long Island, but she has been renting a home in Virginia the last several years.

papillon said:
She sold her estate in Maryland, mainly to simplify her life. She looked at properties in NYC and on Long Island, but she has been renting a home in Virginia the last several years.

is that the property on the potomac? I thought the landlord wanted to sell that one, correct me if I'm wrong

-Eliza

elizahawthorne said:
is that the property on the potomac? I thought the landlord wanted to sell that one, correct me if I'm wrong

-Eliza
Don't think it's been sold yet. And, of course, if it's bought for investment purposes, QN might not have to move.

papillon said:
Don't think it's been sold yet. And, of course, if it's bought for investment purposes, QN might not have to move.

thanks for the information, papillon--tho it confuses me why she'd choose to reside in VA (I believe she resides in McLean, doesn't she?), considering P Hash is in D.C. and P Hamz is in Mass.--I'd assume she'd want to be close to her kids...perhaps the girls are in VA.

on a side note, I've heard QN travels to D.C. and CA a lot, not sure about mass. but I doubt it, I've also noticed a decrease in her travels to Jordan over time and wish I knew why, can someone clear that up for me?

Was she and kids in Jordan for KH's death anniversary?

-Eliza

maryshawn said:
Crest Lane has traditionally been McLean’s most prestigious street in large part because Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis grew up in the same Chain Bridge Road neighborhood at Merrywood, the house where JFK wrote Profiles in Courage. But what makes 1159 Crest Lane so special that the seller is asking $11.5 million? Granted the unique elliptical house set on 2.4 acres commands beautiful views of the river from every room. And the fact that it is rumored to have been rented by Jordan’s Queen Noor also accounts for some of the property ’s perceived value. Built in 1999, the multi-million dollar home is described as having “understated elegance,” not unlike Noor herself. The seller, listed as Margaret Skallrup, Trustee, originally placed the home on the market with an asking price of $15 million. Consequently, interested buyers may hold out some hope that the price will fall yet again.

It is Noor's for now but, unless she buys it, she will be moving once the seller receives her asking price. I suspect--given the fact Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland are home to her mother and sister, as well as a convenient hub from where to do business with the causes she is associated with--her next home will likely be in same area. She obviously likes living on the Potomac River but just finished reading an article where she says she is downsizing as she no longer has the need for many servants or rooms for entertaining state visit guests. Will try to post as it is quite good and revealing. Mary Shawn

is this where she currently resides papillon?

elizahawthorne said:
thanks for the information, papillon--tho it confuses me why she'd choose to reside in VA (I believe she resides in McLean, doesn't she?), considering P Hash is in D.C. and P Hamz is in Mass.--I'd assume she'd want to be close to her kids...perhaps the girls are in VA.

on a side note, I've heard QN travels to D.C. and CA a lot, not sure about mass. but I doubt it, I've also noticed a decrease in her travels to Jordan over time and wish I knew why, can someone clear that up for me?

Was she and kids in Jordan for KH's death anniversary?

-Eliza
The town in Virginia she calls home is a suburb of Washington, D.C., so she is near one of her sons.

I think her visits to Jordan are relatively infrequent because of tensions within the family and her vastly reduced role there.

Most years she has gone back to Jordan on KH's death anniversary, but I didn't see photographs of her this year.

elizahawthorne said:
is this where she currently resides papillon?
In McLean, yes. But I am a little uncomfortable seeing QN's street address on a public forum. Not sure this is safe for her. :(

papillon said:
In McLean, yes. But I am a little uncomfortable seeing QN's street address on a public forum. Not sure this is safe for her. :(

well I'm not the one who originally posted it, I think it is post #3 or #4 if you go to the first page of this thread...besides I don't think it is unsafe either, I don't think anybody who might have the opportunity to visit VA would want to harm her or bother her, I can't imagine she'd be a threat to anyone and I certainly can't imagine anybody having the gall to go visit her at her home without being invited by her--at least, I hope not.

besides it is only speculation I mean she might be living on crest lane, but I don't think that's her house number, if it is, then maryshawn (who originally posted it) got it from another public place, which means whether it's on this forum or not, it is public knowledge--and I'd assume that if it is public knowledge, then QN knows it is public knowledge, and I bet she has taken necessary precautions, if indeed she feels they are necessary.

-Eliza

Last edited:
elizahawthorne said:
well I'm not the one who originally posted it, I think it is post #3 or #4 if you go to the first page of this thread...besides I don't think it is unsafe either, I don't think anybody who might have the opportunity to visit VA would want to harm her or bother her, I can't imagine she'd be a threat to anyone and I certainly can't imagine anybody having the gall to go visit her at her home without being invited by her--at least, I hope not.

besides it is only speculation I mean she might be living on crest lane, but I don't think that's her house number, if it is, then maryshawn (who originally posted it) got it from another public place, which means whether it's on this forum or not, it is public knowledge--and I'd assume that if it is public knowledge, then QN knows it is public knowledge, and I bet she has taken necessary precautions, if indeed she feels they are necessary.

-Eliza

does she have b/gds, I expect KA provided QN with them, as he surely did with Hamzah and his siblings who are living in US- why doesn't QN travel to Mass. ? I would like to get to know what happened btw Hamzah and his mum at the wed reception ,last May, if u look at QN's face, she tries to put a brave face, but it's so obvious she's unhappy and very upset-

tipper said:
does she have b/gds, I expect KA provided QN with them, as he surely did with Hamzah and his siblings who are living in US- why doesn't QN travel to Mass. ? I would like to get to know what happened btw Hamzah and his mum at the wed reception ,last May, if u look at QN's face, she tries to put a brave face, but it's so obvious she's unhappy and very upset-

do they even really need bodyguards? who'd want to harm them, especially in the US? As far as P Hamz's wedding reception goes, I'm sure I must be missing something as other members have pointed the same thing out but I don't see it really--if she is indeed upset I wonder if it's related to P Hamz or something else? I really don't think P Hamz would be upset with his mother or vice versa, but I could be wrong...again, we can only speculate as to what's going on, we'll never really know why.

-Eliza

papillon said:

If the place is being sold then such information would be readily availble for anyone interested in finding out the street address, and not just the general area where the home is located.

And as someone else has pointed out, it is only rumoured that Queen Noor has stayed in that home, it is not a confirmed fact.

Noor's Address

I was a bit surprised to find what was/is ostensibly her address popping up on several sites and featured in articles in magazines like "The Washingtonian." Perhaps I shouldn't have posted it but it is out there and easy to find. Removing address from post would be easy enough to do. I was interested in the descriptions of the house she sold and the one she may or may not currently use. I heard last week the house has been sold so how much longer she will be there--if she still is--is anyone's guess. I don't think getting near her would be an easy thing to do. I would suspect she has some form of protection but, as she is in more of a ceremonial role, how extensive it is, I don't know. You would probably want some bodyguards for her but she may not want that. She has been quoted often she found the presence of bodyguards and soldiers a bit stifling.
tipper said:

Queen Noor of Jordan to Speak at California Theatre

April 11 Lecture Sponsored by Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley

SAN JOSE, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 03/21/2005 -- Her Majesty Queen Noor of Jordan will provide her unique perspective on events in the Middle East when she visits the California Theatre in San José on Monday, April 11, an event sponsored by the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley.

Queen Noor, the American-born widow of King Hussein of Jordan, reigned as the Middle Eastern nation's queen from 1978 until 1999. She was born Lisa Najeeb Halaby in Washington, D.C., in 1951. She is the stepmother of His Highness King Abdullah II, the current ruler of the kingdom.

A graduate of Princeton University, her public life has been marked by a commitment to many causes, both at home in Jordan and abroad. Queen Noor has sponsored and directed activities throughout her nation to address the kingdom's needs, from education and community development to environmental conservation and the welfare of women and children. Internationally, she has assumed a role of leadership in the banishment of landmines as well as the education of the world's children.

The Queen is also a best-selling author, having penned her 1999 autobiography, "Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life."

Leaders of the Commonwealth Club were pleased at the prospect of having a woman of the Queen's stature visit San José.

"We are pleased to be able to honor Queen Noor in this wonderfully restored, majestic venue," said Trish Newfarmer, director of the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley. "Its capacity helps us ensure that all who wish to come honor this remarkable woman will be able to do so. Until now, there really has not been the perfect venue for this type of event -- we are pleased that there now is."

The visit also drew praise from Team San José, the public benefit corporation that operates the 77-year-old, 1,119-seat theater, reopened in September 2004 after an extensive renovation. Since its reopening, the theater has played host to a number of events, including the 2004-2005 season of Opera San José, a weeklong screening of the cinematic classic "Casablanca," and the unveiling of Apple's new iPod line, co-hosted by Apple executives and new Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees U2.

"The Queen's visit will allow us to showcase the splendor and versatility of this beautifully restored venue," said Michael Ross, CEO of Team San José.

Registration for the event begins at 6:45 p.m. The Queen will speak at 7:30 p.m., and will sign copies of her book at 8:45 p.m. Tickets for the event are $20 for Commonwealth Club members and $35 for non-members. Priority seating is also available for $65. For reservations, please call 800.847.7730 or visit http://www.commonwealthclub.org/sv.html.

About The Commonwealth Club

The Commonwealth Club began hosting programs in Silicon Valley in the late 1980s to provide a convenient face-to-face forum for public discussion to the growing population of what has become one of the most influential regions of the United States and the world. In May 1997, through a merger with the existing World Forum of Silicon Valley, the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley was established to provide a broad public forum for the South Bay. Today the Club hosts numerous events from Palo Alto to downtown San Jose. For more information about the Commonwealth Club/Silicon Valley, visit http://www.commonwealthclub.org.

About Team San José Team San José, a public benefit corporation, was founded in December 2003, for the exclusive purpose of ensuring that the City of San José's six convention and cultural facilities are managed more efficiently and responsive to customer needs. The Team San José Board of Directors is composed of local community stakeholders, including hoteliers, organized labor, cultural arts groups and the convention and visitors bureau. These stakeholders share in the sales and marketing of the facilities, and ultimately, the collaboration will enhance customer experience, reduce operating costs and improve the overall economic impact to San José businesses.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=83075

Here's an about Meg Ryan, with a small mention of Queen Noor at the end

Meg Ryan makes pictures
By Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — Meg Ryan is no flash in the pan. The actress and intrepid photographer, who has been shooting her family and friends for years, just had her very first photo essay published in the April issue of Glamour magazine. And now she's ready to tackle bigger ideas. "I'm going to take pictures of paparazzi taking pictures of me," Ryan said. "Then you'll get pictures of these guys in their shorts standing behind a column. It would be hilarious."

For now, Ryan focused on snapping women whom she considers her heroes because, as she told Glamour, they are "of service to their generation": Queen Noor of Jordan, former Texas governor Ann Richards, CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour and human rights activist Ngawang Sangdrol.

"It was my first assignment, and what was outrageous about the experience was that people were actually cooperating with me," said Ryan, wearing a "year-old" Prada dress at a Wednesday night party feting her debut as a magazine writer and photographer. "Normally, my pictures are of people who don't want their pictures taken."

Like her 12-year-old son, Jack Henry, for example?

"Yeah!" Ryan said. "Or like people on the street. I usually get no cooperation."

Her initial list of heroic ladies was long and included Jane Fonda and Eunice Shriver before it was whittled down to be more manageable. The magazine editors, "thank God, were editing for me. The list of amazing women went on and on and on."

Ryan's favorite shot is of Queen Noor standing on a San Francisco street. "I'm really proud of that," she said. "We started out in a hotel room. It was a last-minute thought to take her outside. I love that picture so much because the girl can't help it. She's so regal."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-03-10-meg-ryan_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Here's an about Meg Ryan, with a small mention of Queen Noor at the end

Meg Ryan makes pictures
By Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — Meg Ryan is no flash in the pan. The actress and intrepid photographer, who has been shooting her family and friends for years, just had her very first photo essay published in the April issue of Glamour magazine. And now she's ready to tackle bigger ideas. "I'm going to take pictures of paparazzi taking pictures of me," Ryan said. "Then you'll get pictures of these guys in their shorts standing behind a column. It would be hilarious."

For now, Ryan focused on snapping women whom she considers her heroes because, as she told Glamour, they are "of service to their generation": Queen Noor of Jordan, former Texas governor Ann Richards, CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour and human rights activist Ngawang Sangdrol.

"It was my first assignment, and what was outrageous about the experience was that people were actually cooperating with me," said Ryan, wearing a "year-old" Prada dress at a Wednesday night party feting her debut as a magazine writer and photographer. "Normally, my pictures are of people who don't want their pictures taken."

Like her 12-year-old son, Jack Henry, for example?

"Yeah!" Ryan said. "Or like people on the street. I usually get no cooperation."

Her initial list of heroic ladies was long and included Jane Fonda and Eunice Shriver before it was whittled down to be more manageable. The magazine editors, "thank God, were editing for me. The list of amazing women went on and on and on."

Ryan's favorite shot is of Queen Noor standing on a San Francisco street. "I'm really proud of that," she said. "We started out in a hotel room. It was a last-minute thought to take her outside. I love that picture so much because the girl can't help it. She's so regal."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-03-10-meg-ryan_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA

If anyone can find this pic and post it, I'd be very grateful

Glamour magazine! It is the one with Meg Ryan on it. I believe it is the current edition. It is the Amercian version of Glamour.

Reina said:
Glamour magazine! It is the one with Meg Ryan on it. I believe it is the current edition. It is the Amercian version of Glamour.

I'm not sure if we get it here in the UK, so if someone has the magazine and can scan the pic and post it, I'd be very appreciative. If I'm able to get my hands on it, I'll post the pic myself

-Eliza

I'll remember to look it up when I go out tomorrow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom