Language skills of the JRF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Nobility
Country
Jordan
There's a file uploaded in Iram's club(The Jordan Royal Family Club),it's a video recording of Hashem from the Royal tour,trust me it's worth joining the club and watching ;)

All I can say is WOooooooW&thank you Iram for finding it for us and uploading it :)

T-R-O-U-B-L-E said:
There's a file uploaded in Iram's club(The Jordan Royal Family Club),it's a video recording of Hashem from the Royal tour,trust me it's worth joining the club and watching ;)

All I can say is WOooooooW&thank you Iram for finding it for us and uploading it :)
Thanks to Iram from the Jordan Royal Family Club, also thanks to TROUBLE for the heads up:D

OMG, that's the very first time I have heard Hashim speak. I am speechless!!! I didn't know that he spoke with such a pronounced "British" Accent. Must be those years at Harrow and Sandhurst..Even King Abdullah spoke like a British gentleman.

Does anyone know if they still speak the same?? Especially in the case of King Abdullah, does he still have that "British" accent or has it gone? (living in Jordan and conversing in Arabic). Obviously, the tape was made before he ascended to the throne.

I would dearly love to hear King Abdullah and Prince Hashim and Prince Hamzah speak in the present time. Does anyone have any other videos of them, speaking English or Arabic?

Last edited:
pdas1201 said:
Thanks to Iram from the Jordan Royal Family Club, also thanks to TROUBLE for the heads up:D

OMG, that's the very first time I have heard Hashim speak. I am speechless!!! I didn't know that he spoke with such a pronounced "British" Accent. Must be those years at Harrow and Sandhurst..Even King Abdullah spoke like a British gentleman.

Does anyone know if they still speak the same?? Especially in the case of King Abdullah, does he still have that "British" accent or has it gone? (living in Jordan and conversing in Arabic). Obviously, the tape was made before he ascended to the throne.

I would dearly love to hear King Abdullah and Prince Hashim and Prince Hamzah speak in the present time. Does anyone have any other videos of them, speaking English or Arabic?
P. Hashim speaks with a British accent? He spent his high school years in the U.S. He must have had a British nanny or something.

You know... I'm no expert but it sounds more like an American accent to me.

The accent is totally English.Every word of it.I know coz we watch a lot of English sitcoms here.
BTW that clip is from 2001 and Abdullah became king in 1999.

pdas1201 said:

No, the tape was shot back in 2001, it is still aired on discovery Channel- I have tapes, Hamzah's accent is very British- it reminds me of Q Elizabeth ,Hashim was never at Harrow, he never studied in UK, apart from the years at Sandhurst.KA has a British accent, still now, of course, though he uses lots of Americanisms.

kinneret5764 said:
P. Hashim speaks with a British accent? He spent his high school years in the U.S. He must have had a British nanny or something.
In fact,they ,he and Hamzah, Iman and Raiyah had Mrs. Smith, a British nanny, she gave interviews, when the kids grew up and she got back to UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most British accent of the lot is Prince Hassan. You can hear him on the BBC archives. It is amazing. You would think he is British if you did not know. King Hussein had a very Arab accent. I have heard the others and think they sound more American other than Hamzah who sounds like his father, but without such a heavy accent in English. But he does not not sound British.

pdas1201 said:

U welcome:)
Yea,This was the first time to hear him talking and boy he sounded so good!
he looked good also,he's such a cutie. I thought he had an Accent,lol,an arabic one? or maybe he sounded tough from the way he spoke(defeshhh)..Has anyone noticed that hamzah and Hash's voices are similar,they both have their later fathers' voice?

pdas1201 said:
Thanks so much for the help, Trouble...:D
It was just taking to long for the video to load, so I thought there was something wrong. But, as you said, it takes a while to load. I let it sit for a while and it worked.

By the way, Prince Hamzah has a very deep voice, is that how he speaks English (if you have heard him) or is it the way Arabic is spoken???
Thanks
No problemo :)

Yea he does have a very deep voice,KH's voice was deep as well,he speaks english like that 2,but it's kinda deeper in Arabic,cuz of the
pronunciation of a few words ....

pdas1201 said:
Thanks so much for the help, Trouble...:D
It was just taking to long for the video to load, so I thought there was something wrong. But, as you said, it takes a while to load. I let it sit for a while and it worked.

By the way, Prince Hamzah has a very deep voice, is that how he speaks English (if you have heard him) or is it the way Arabic is spoken???
Thanks
he has a very deep voice when he speaks English, I have the tape of KH's memorial at St. Paul's in London, Hamzah and KA, 1 in English, 1 in Arabic. Does any1 know if the bros and sis talk to each other in english or in Arabic, I bet Hamzah, Hashim, Iman and Raiyah talk in English to their mum and to each other, I read that ,when KH was still alive, they used to talk English all the time, so I wonder, how did Hamzah and Hashim learn to speak Arabic, can Iman and Raiyah speak Arabic, too ? they talk to each other in English on the Discovery C. tape.

How come Ali's Arabic is not excellent ,it seems odd Hamzah and Hashim speak a better Arabic than Ali, he spent more time in Jordan than them, is Ali's Arabic a street language, like KA's , or a Classical 1, - what about Hayah's Arabic ?
One more question, what kind of accent has Ali when speaking English ? He studied both in UK and in US..... is his English very good or he speaks it like a foreigner, I heard Hamzah, Hashim ,Iman and Raiyah's English, it's obvious English is their first language.

tipper said:
How come Ali's Arabic is not excellent ,it seems odd Hamzah and Hashim speak a better Arabic than Ali, he spent more time in Jordan than them, is Ali's Arabic a street language, like KA's , or a Classical 1, - what about Hayah's Arabic ? One more question, what kind of accent has Ali when speaking English ? He studied both in UK and in US..... is his English very good or he speaks it like a foreigner, I heard Hamzah, Hashim ,Iman and Raiyah's English, it's obvious English is their first language.
who said that PA arabic is excellent and he speaks street language very well better than us he didnt speak Classical 1 just when its a speach but his language is like our's, like the jordanian young people even his jokes, i didn't hear him speaks English i wish if i can somewhere

suria said:
who said that PA arabic is excellent and he speaks street language very well better than us he didnt speak Classical 1 just when its a speach but his language is like our's, like the jordanian young people even his jokes, i didn't hear him speaks English i wish if i can somewhere
That was me!He does have a good arabic but not as excellent as Hashem and Hamzah's.When I heard his speech in KH football league,he didn't has strong proverb,like there's something missing in his arabic.Yet,he's still ahead of Abdullah and way ahead of Faisal! Frankly,I didn't hear Hamzah in classic arabic,in english and Jordanian accent only but I know how good his arabic is.Hashem is the best one in arabic,I heard him reciting Qura'an,this is a challenge that proves how good your arabic is and he was superb,I rank him in the first place.Ali's english is american I think,I heard him once when he went to Kusovo,sounded american.
Suria,don't you feel his accent is a mixture of Jo/Pal one?Abdullah and Faisal have this strong Jordanian accent,Hamzah as well and I never heard Hashim speaking it,Ali comparing to them has a Pal accent more.

Jorja Fox said:
That was me!He does have a good arabic but not as excellent as Hashem and Hamzah's.When I heard his speech in KH football league,he didn't has strong proverb,like there's something missing in his arabic.Yet,he's still ahead of Abdullah and way ahead of Faisal! Frankly,I didn't hear Hamzah in classic arabic,in english and Jordanian accent only but I know how good his arabic is.Hashem is the best one in arabic,I heard him reciting Qura'an,this is a challenge that proves how good your arabic is and he was superb,I rank him in the first place.Ali's english is american I think,I heard him once when he went to Kusovo,sounded american.
Suria,don't you feel his accent is a mixture of Jo/Pal one?Abdullah and Faisal have this strong Jordanian accent,Hamzah as well and I never heard Hashim speaking it,Ali comparing to them has a Pal accent more.
well i heard this too he was very good i didn't feel like their is something missing i like him when he speaks on TV he is so simple and yes his accent like Pal mixed with jordanian he use many words like the Pal specially like people of Nablis you can note this very well if you hear him talking he is not like anyone of his brother he is totally different in everything even in his way of talking am glad to feel like he keeps his Pal part so cool:)

Jorja Fox said:

hi, what's a Pal accent ? and what's missing in Ali's Arabic ? Hamzah's English accent is so British... I've got tapes of him talking English, can't understand what kind of accent Hashim has when speaking english, does Hamzah talk Arabic with a strong Jordanian accent ? I'm a bit surprised, he is always so formal....- thanx !

suria said:
I heard him talking English when he went to Turkey soon after the earthquake there, to bring aids from Jordan, I could not really say if his English was American or British.... sometimes, it's not so obvious when some1 is not talking his mother language.

suria said:
well i heard this too he was very good i didn't feel like their is something missing i like him when he speaks on TV he is so simple and yes his accent like Pal mixed with jordanian he use many words like the Pal specially like people of Nablis you can note this very well if you hear him talking he is not like anyone of his brother he is totally different in everything even in his way of talking am glad to feel like he keeps his Pal part so cool:)
:confused: :p :) :rolleyes: :cool:
now I c what u mean, did he take the Pal accent from his mum's relatives ? or from friends ? anyway, he spent many years in UK and US, it looks he saw alot of his mum's family.

tipper said:
hi, what's a Pal accent ? and what's missing in Ali's Arabic ? Hamzah's English accent is so British... I've got tapes of him talking English, can't understand what kind of accent Hashim has when speaking english, does Hamzah talk Arabic with a strong Jordanian accent ? I'm a bit surprised, he is always so formal....- thanx !
Ali has a palestinian accent because of his mother,he doesn't speak much Jordanian like the rest.His arabic is good for sure yet it's sort off incomplete,there's no professional touch that Hashem and Hamzah have.I have tapes of Hamzah in two occasions,something about the Easter in Jordan and the other is a basketball event,in both he spoke in a Jordanian accent though he could had spoken in classic,had a very stong Jordnaina accent,he is always formal,that was surprising for me for sure.

His mother died when he was four--how could she have influenced his Arabic?

Bubbette said:
His mother died when he was four--how could she have influenced his Arabic?

Actually, his mother died when he was about 13 months old. Honestly, I was thinking the same thing...how would his mother influence his Arabic if she wasn't around to interact with him? I'm sure it was other family members who had an influence on however he speaks...which I have never heard before, but would like to hear sometime.

suria said:
You heard that too,am sure you taped it ;).I always believed that he has a Pal accent,so am right then,don't know about the types of Pal accent,you know better.He's different for sure rather special,he jokes alot which is a thing that ppl don't believe.Once in "Sports magzine" prog.,am sure you watch it every Friday :) ,he was in Austria,they called him and talked about a football match,at the end he said :"Can I get you guys anything from here?/Bedkoum eshy men hoon?"Everyone in the studio laughed,really sweet.

Jorja Fox said:
Ali has a palestinian accent because of his mother,he doesn't speak much Jordanian like the rest.His arabic is good for sure yet it's sort off incomplete,there's no professional touch that Hashem and Hamzah have.I have tapes of Hamzah in two occasions,something about the Easter in Jordan and the other is a basketball event,in both he spoke in a Jordanian accent though he could had spoken in classic,had a very stong Jordnaina accent,he is always formal,that was surprising for me for sure.
it's obvious that he learnt Arabic from his mum's relatives, e.g. his granny, uncles etc.

Jorja Fox said:
maybe Hashim and Hamzah learnt Arabic from private teachers as well as they learnt Classical Arabic, do u think Iman and Raiyah can speak Arabic or at least understand it, i'm sure they can't, I heard them speaking English, their accent was strong American, more than their mum's, which is so strong, too-

tipper said:
:confused: :p :) :rolleyes: :cool:
now I c what u mean, did he take the Pal accent from his mum's relatives ? or from friends ? anyway, he spent many years in UK and US, it looks he saw alot of his mum's family.
i think so don't forget that he has a grandmother and two uncle's my mother from Nablis when she heard him talking on TV she said he is just like his mother and she noticed his accent he used many PAL words are you arabic if you r u will notice too their is very funny word this is not for a prince for sure he used to say (3'aro o 3'arato) ( غيرو و غيراتو people of Nablis use this word too

Jorja Fox said:
You heard that too,am sure you taped it ;).I always believed that he has a Pal accent,so am right then,don't know about the types of Pal accent,you know better.He's different for sure rather special,he jokes alot which is a thing that ppl don't believe.Once in "Sports magzine" prog.,am sure you watch it every Friday :) ,he was in Austria,they called him and talked about a football match,at the end he said :"Can I get you guys anything from here?/Bedkoum eshy men hoon?"Everyone in the studio laughed,really sweet.
yes i did see that this was very funny this was the first call for him on TV
ok once in a game the reporter asked him are you satisfied ? so he said are you satisfied ? the reporter smiled and said yes so he said if you are sure i am satisfied . this was great th reporter didnt know what to say he is great i wish to do more intereviews i missed his words

tipper said:
it's obvious that he learnt Arabic from his mum's relatives, e.g. his granny, uncles etc.
Yes,this is what I meant,didn't mean that his mother is the one who taught him but because of her nationality/roots,he managed to gain the Pal accent from her relatives-Haya has a Pal accent too.

tipper said:
maybe Hashim and Hamzah learnt Arabic from private teachers as well as they learnt Classical Arabic, do u think Iman and Raiyah can speak Arabic or at least understand it, i'm sure they can't, I heard them speaking English, their accent was strong American, more than their mum's, which is so strong, too-
Not sure about them.Once Iman was walking with Princess Muna's father,forgot the name,Abdullah was walking infront of them,later he said to Iman :"what do you think?" it was an opening ceremony for something.I thought it was because his grandfather was with her but again in some parachuting event,he said to her :"you did a good job,well done".My guess is that Iman and Rayah can understand arabic but don't speak it or at least,not with each other.They spend more time with Noor who's arabic isn't good.I saw Noor in a short interview with Future tv,Lebanon,about Jersh,she couldn't speak one word of arabic,didn't had to be classic,Jo and Lebanese accent kind of the same,not much but close.She spoke in english and french,at first in french but said later on that her french is horrible and switched to english.Both spend much time with her,in US,no contact with so many arabs so I think they can't or don't.Even the rest don't address each other with arabic.Once Faisal,Abdullah and Aisha were patronizing something,they were looking at something in the Vitrina when I heard Faisal saying :"This is massive" and Aisha said:"Yes,it's terrific".Heard Ali and Hamzah speak to each other in English.

i thought read on this forum that when haya was packed off to boarding school, an arabic tutor accompanied her. maybe ali was the same.

Jorja Fox said:
I believe Hashim and Hamzah did attend schools in Amman,till the age of 12 I guess-not sure,maybe this is why their arabic is strong and excellent.Faisal and Abdullah did attend it but till the age of 5 or 6,their arabic is horrible.In one of KH documentaries,Faisal and Abdullahs’ arabic was described as a rusty one.Maybe to avoid this with the other kids,he kept them in Jordan for a longer while till they studied abroad.The result turned out to be excellent.In Faisal,Abduallah,Hashem and Hamzahs' case,they got a Jordanian accent because of the ppl surrounding them,they whether have spoken in english or the Jordanian accent,neither of Muna and Noor know arabic or if they do,they don’t speak it with a Jo accent.Ali has arabic/pal relativesv to learn from,that's why he speaks arabic with a pal/jo accent,the rest had foreign mothers so the only source they had,for arabic was the Jordanian accent.I heard Hamzah speaks Beduin too.

Ipi Tombe said:
i thought read on this forum that when haya was packed off to boarding school, an arabic tutor accompanied her. maybe ali was the same.
Could be,am just saying the things I think/heard/know.Her arabic is excellent,read plenty of her articles-can't wait for the book-she is capable of her language.KH had an arabic tutor,maybe felt the same for his kids,except Faisal and Abdullah.

suria said:
no he attended arabic school (Alkolyh Al3lmyh Alislamyeh) the same school of KA and PF sure he has a lot of arabic friends even if QA's family were in Europe they must be talking like a PAL and i think even if PA didn't live with his mothr he is trying to do things shows that he has a mother which is QA .Once when the coach of the national team died this was a day after his mother anniversary he said ( i was visiting my mother grave when they told me that the coach died i felt so sad ......) so he mentioned this and his mother death even their as no connection so he will talk a little bit like his mother even if she is died

yeah, he does it on purpose to feel close to his late mum, anyway, he attended a school in UK from age 14 to 18-so, I bet his English must be very British, like Hamzah's- and he also had a British nanny. any of them had 1, all the 7 youngest kids- I wish I could buy the original VHS of Royal Tour where Ali talks for a long time in English-

The language skills of the younger members of the JRF.

Hamzah speaks good Arabic. His English is fluent but surprisingly for someone with an American mother, his accent is neither British nor American, but Arab. In fact he sounds a lot like his father, either naturally or he has cultivated it so. Both Haya and Hamzah benefited from the Arabic tutors that Prince Hassan sent with his children when they went to boarding school. He himself made no arrangments for his other children, in Britain or the US. I know it must seem to many people that I only seem to post when there is something good to be said about Prince Hassan directly or indirectly, but few on this forum seem to realise how much that man did for his brother, both professionally and personally, and was kicked in the teeth for his efforts. All of Prince Hassan's four children speak good, fluent Jordanian Arabic and very British English. Prince Hassan himself speaks the same way, and princess Sarvath's English is also British. As a family they speak many other languages, and Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath's French is fluent. Prince Hassan has give many live speeches and interviews withquestions and answers in French and German.

shelley said:

Hamzah speaks good Arabic. His English is fluent but surprisingly for someone with an American mother, his accent is neither British nor American, but Arab. In fact he sounds a lot like his father, either naturally or he has cultivated it so. Both Haya and Hamzah benefited from the Arabic tutors that Prince Hassan sent with his children when they went to boarding school. He himself made no arrangments for his other children, in Britain or the US. I know it must seem to many people that I only seem to post when there is something good to be said about Prince Hassan directly or indirectly, but few on this forum seem to realise how much that man did for his brother, both professionally and personally, and was kicked in the teeth for his efforts. All of Prince Hassan's four children speak good, fluent Jordanian Arabic and very British English. Prince Hassan himself speaks the same way, and princess Sarvath's English is also British. As a family they speak many other languages, and Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath's French is fluent. Prince Hassan has give many live speeches and interviews withquestions and answers in French and German.
So there was a tutor then but it's surprising that it was arranged by P Hassan.I thought the same about Hamzah's accent's similarity to his father's,heard him in a KH memorial,an obvious arab accent but I thought since am an arab I was mistaken.Don't want to sound off topic here but I myself admire P Hassan,here in the UAE,we don't have the wrong image about him.He appears on tv every now and then on arabic political channels,I believe he is highly respected,his views and thoughts about MEs' situations are quoted and stated as facts sometimes.I read articles where they quote from him,he is considered as a reliable source.I study mass media and communication paretically Journalism so I come across alot of his writings,we discuss it in classes too,deserves admiration for sure.Again,don't want to be off topic but I felt I should pay my share of admiration for P Hassan,not just because I have a thing for P Rashid which is true! but I do admire him.I will read/write on his thread to get more info about him or family.

Last edited:
Jorja Fox said:
I believe Hashim and Hamzah did attend schools in Amman,till the age of 12 I guess-not sure,maybe this is why their arabic is strong and excellent.Faisal and Abdullah did attend it but till the age of 5 or 6,their arabic is horrible.In one of KH documentaries,Faisal and Abdullahs’ arabic was described as a rusty one.Maybe to avoid this with the other kids,he kept them in Jordan for a longer while till they studied abroad.The result turned out to be excellent.In Faisal,Abduallah,Hashem and Hamzahs' case,they got a Jordanian accent because of the ppl surrounding them,they whether have spoken in english or the Jordanian accent,neither of Muna and Noor know arabic or if they do,they don’t speak it with a Jo accent.Ali has arabic/pal relativesv to learn from,that's why he speaks arabic with a pal/jo accent,the rest had foreign mothers so the only source they had,for arabic was the Jordanian accent.I heard Hamzah speaks Beduin too.
sure he is his way of talking is so simple and funny and he is so natural when he talks a bout anything

Jorja Fox said:
So there was a tutor then but it's surprising that it was arranged by P Hassan.I thought the same about Hamzah's accent's similarity to his father's,heard him in a KH memorial,an obvious arab accent but I thought since am an arab I was mistaken.Don't want to sound off topic here but I myself admire P Hassan,here in the UAE,we don't have the wrong image about him.He appears on tv every now and then on arabic political channels,I believe he is highly respected,his views and thoughts about MEs' situations are quoted and stated as facts sometimes.I read articles where they quote from him,he is considered as a reliable source.I study mass media and communication paretically Journalism so I come across alot of his writings,we discuss it in classes too,deserves admiration for sure.Again,don't want to be off topic but I felt I should pay my share of admiration for P Hassan,not just because I have a thing for P Rashid which is true! but I do admire him.I will read/write on his thread to get more info about him or family.

sorry to contradict u, but I have a speech in English ,at St. Paul's, during his late father Memorial, his English is very, very British, old- fashioned, really- I think he learnt it at Harrow, KH's accent was so bad, I spent years in UK, so I think I can c the difference.......

shelley said:

Hamzah speaks good Arabic. His English is fluent but surprisingly for someone with an American mother, his accent is neither British nor American, but Arab. In fact he sounds a lot like his father, either naturally or he has cultivated it so.
I know a lot of children of Americans who are raised in the Mid East, and unless they spend a lot of time in America, they have the Mid-East accent in their English (not a strong one, but it's there).

shelley said:

KA has himself said that his own father had provided him an arabic language tutor, but he used to hide whenever this teacher went to his school in Boston to teach him the language, he later regretted it as he never learnt Arabic well, he skipped to many lessons......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom