King Abdullah & Queen Rania Current Events 24: June 9 - September 13, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to watch the press conference with the King and Harper. It was interesting to listen to them both and glad to know Canada will be getting involved with important projects and taking more of a leap with the middle east. Didn't get to hear the press asking more questioned, but the verdict on Conrad Black cut the press conference . I guess it was more important than what the King had to say????? I guess I am just tried of the whole Black Trial. JUst happy to know the KIng was in Canada.

Newspaper links

All stories are from Toronto's Globe and Mail website.

Jordan pleads for Canada's help in peace process
OTTAWA — Jordan's King Abdullah II made a personal plea to Prime Minister Stephen Harper yesterday for help with achieving Middle East peace, saying the next weeks are crucial to getting the process restarted.

The link:
globeandmail.com: Jordan pleads for Canada's help in peace process
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Canada can 'guide the path of peace' in Middle East: King Abdullah
OTTAWA — Canada can help “guide the path of peace” in the Middle East by assuming a bigger role in regional negotiations, Jordan's King Abdullah II said Friday in a pointed speech to Canadian politicians and dignitaries.

The link:
globeandmail.com: Canada can 'guide the path of peace' in Middle East: King Abdullah

Jordan wants Harper to push for peace
AMMAN — The West needs to “wake up” and understand that without a rapid and fair solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the world is headed toward decades of more violence and extremism, Jordan's King Abdullah II said, ahead of a visit to Canada that begins Thursday.

The link:
globeandmail.com: Jordan wants Harper to push for peace

Transcript of The Globe and Mail's interview with King Abdullah II of Jordan

The link:
globeandmail.com: Transcript of the interview

Jordan's monarch pursues closer ties
OTTAWA -- Jordan's charismatic monarch King Abdullah II arrived in Canada yesterday armed with a substantial wish-list for his host, including a new trade deal between the two countries and greater involvement by Canada in Middle East peace talks.

The link:
globeandmail.com: Jordan's monarch pursues closer ties

Abdullah eyes Canadian nuclear reactor deal
AMMAN -- Jordan is hoping to become the latest Middle Eastern country to acquire nuclear power and is looking for Canadian help to achieve that goal, King Abdullah II said in an interview.

The link:
globeandmail.com: Abdullah eyes Canadian nuclear reactor deal
The Globe and Mail has a video of the press conference and two audio clips from the interview with Abdullah, done in advance of his trip. Watching the video is easy, but a problem crops up when trying to listen to the audio clips.

Video/audio links:
globeandmail.com: Harper meets King Abdullah

Last edited:
Other media websites

From the National Post website:

Jordan's king, PM to focus on mideast

When King Abdullah II of Jordan visits Canada Friday, it will mark his first visit to Canada under the Harper government, said Jordanian Ambassador Nabil Barto.

The link:
Jordan's king, PM to focus on mideast
----------------------------------------------------------

From the CTV website:

King Abdullah, Harper, agree to free trade talks

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Jordan's King Abdullah met on Friday, coming to agreement on several issues including air transport and foreign investment, and deciding to pursue a free trade agreement between the two nations.

The link:
CTV.ca | King Abdullah, Harper, agree to free trade talks

Photos

Photos from Friday, July 13, 2007:

Yahoo News

Jordan's King Abdullah II, center, receives a standing ovation as Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, right, looks-on prior to his speech before dignitaries, in Ottawa, Canada Friday July 13, 2007. Jordan's King Abdullah II and Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper agreed Friday that brokering peace in the Middle East can only be achieved through a two-state solution. (AP Photo/CP, Tom Hanson)

Yahoo! News Search Results for "King Abdullah II"
----------------------------------------------------------

Petra.gov.jo
Daily News
Daily News
Daily News
Daily News
Daily News

Officialdom

From the Prime Minister’s Office website:

Prime Minister Harper concludes successful meetings with King Abdullah II of Jordan

At the conclusion of a working visit to Canada by King Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Prime Minister Stephen Harper today expressed satisfaction that the two countries are embarking on a modern, forward looking relationship.

The link:
Prime Minister of Canada: Prime Minister Harper concludes successful meetings with King Abdullah II of Jordan
---------------------------------------------------------

Prime Minister of Canada: Prime Minister Harper welcomes King Abdullah II of Jordan

Prime Minister Harper welcomes King Abdullah II of Jordan

It is an honour and a pleasure for me to welcome to Canada, His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan.

It might be worthwhile to return to this site in a few days for possible video, audio or additional photographs. I noticed a video and audio centre on the right-hand side of the website.

Last edited:
Nice suit! It looks like KA lost some weight too.

More coverage

From the Toronto Star

EDITORIAL
Balance Mideast policy

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's reflexive support for Israel was on open display yesterday as he met with Jordan's King Abdullah II. Speaking to the media, Harper described Canada and Jordan as "close friends and partners" of Israel, while voicing only muted "support" for the current moderate Palestinian Authority government.

The link:
TheStar.com - comment - Balance Mideast policy

NEWS STORY
Jordan implores Canada to help in Middle East

OTTAWA–Jordan's King Abdullah made an impassioned plea yesterday to Canada to use its international reputation for fairness to help bring peace to the Middle East.

The link:
TheStar.com - News - Jordan implores Canada to help in Middle East

NEWS STORY
Canada, Jordan in free trade talks

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper told Jordan's King Abdullah II today that Canada is committed to peace in the Middle East but stopped well short of reinstating financial support to the Palestinian Authority.

The link:
TheStar.com - News - Canada, Jordan in free trade talks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Edmonton Journal

Jordan's king wants closer ties

OTTAWA - Canada has no immediate plans to restore aid funding to the Palestinian Authority, Prime Minister Stephen Harper indicated Friday.

The link:
Jordan's king wants closer ties

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Liberal Party of Canada website

MEDIA RELEASE
Dion Meets with His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan

OTTAWA - Liberal Opposition Leader Stéphane Dion today called on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to take a greater role in Middle East peace process after a meeting with King Abdullah II of Jordan.

The link:
Liberal.ca :: Media Releases

Queen calls for upgrading of medical services in Petra

AMMAN (JT) — Her Majesty Queen Rania on Sunday stressed the need to upgrade medical services for citizens in the southern districts of Shobak and Petra.
During a surprise visit to the areas’ medical and tourism facilities, the Queen met with patients at the Queen Rania Hospital in the town of Wadi Petra, Petra.
While touring the hospital’s different wards, including the surgical, pediatric and outpatient clinics, the Queen spoke to several patients about the services offered at the institution and their general living conditions. Jordan Times

Last edited:
Is Queen Rania pregnant ?

In the image gallery of the post#82 (especially the last picture), Queen Rania seems pregnant. Was there any annoucement ?

I agree, she does a little, but it could be a number of things, maybe a little extra weight gained to the stomach, or the shirt is clinging to her oddly. So unless there is an announcement, then we can assume she is not.

Women's Conference 2007

LOS ANGELES, July 16 /PRNewswire/ -- California First Lady Maria Shriver unveiled an impressive speaker lineup today for The Women's Conference 2007, to be held October 23rd at 8:00 a.m. at the Long Beach Convention Center. The ever-growing roster of remarkable speakers taking center stage includes Former Prime Minister Tony Blair, who will join Governor Schwarzenegger for a conversation on environmental leadership moderated by New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. More than 50 others will participate in the day's program, including Queen Rania of Jordan, Elizabeth Edwards, Kirstie Alley, Jamie Lee Curtis, Joan Baez and many more.

First Lady Maria Shriver Unveils Highlights of The Women's Conference 2007: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Women's Conference 2007

LOS ANGELES, July 16 /PRNewswire/ -- California First Lady Maria Shriver unveiled an impressive speaker lineup today for The Women's Conference 2007, to be held October 23rd at 8:00 a.m. at the Long Beach Convention Center. The ever-growing roster of remarkable speakers taking center stage includes Former Prime Minister Tony Blair, who will join Governor Schwarzenegger for a conversation on environmental leadership moderated by New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. More than 50 others will participate in the day's program, including Queen Rania of Jordan, Elizabeth Edwards, Kirstie Alley, Jamie Lee Curtis, Joan Baez and many more.

First Lady Maria Shriver Unveils Highlights of The Women's Conference 2007: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

aww she's coming to california, i've never seen images of her in Cali before, does anyone know if this is her first time visiting?

She's not pregnant.. I think after the birth of Prince Hashem, King Abdullah & Queen Rania 'sort of' made an annoucement proclaiming Prince Hashem will be their last child.. But I hope she delivers another princess.. That'd be nice..

This couple are very quiet this week. Have they slipped away on holiday following on from the King's Canada trip?

What's up with all the Fall jackets in the middle of a Jordan summer Rania?? Interesting choices!

Check out with the king is up to hehehe--thanks LeoMama for the heads up!
It looks like he's on an all boys holiday. I wonder what Rania's doing why her man goes out to play in California? Maybe she'll meet up with him there later or maybe in Southern Cali.

From the Mercury News
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6412829?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

Last edited:
In the image gallery of the post#82 (especially the last picture), Queen Rania seems pregnant. Was there any annoucement ?

I wondered the same thing, though she is skinny enough that a bit of bloating might make her look pregnant, that and all the tummy covering jackets.

Actually, it's had me wondering. What is the weather like in Jordan this time of the year? Does it get hot, or does it stay fairly nice? I've been trying to figure out if the weather is rather nice over there or if QR is like the women I saw in Greece who look cool comfortable in even the hottest temps.

I wondered the same thing, though she is skinny enough that a bit of bloating might make her look pregnant, that and all the tummy covering jackets.

Actually, it's had me wondering. What is the weather like in Jordan this time of the year? Does it get hot, or does it stay fairly nice? I've been trying to figure out if the weather is rather nice over there or if QR is like the women I saw in Greece who look cool comfortable in even the hottest temps.

I believe that she is obliged to wear clothes that cover all the body no matter if it is winter or summer. Except from this, she likes wearing such clothes which don't reveal nothing, more professional style. I am sure she is not exposed to hot weather for more than a couple of hours,also there are airconditions in Jordan.
Jroneida :flowers:, I live in Greece , when it is really hot nobody feels comfortable, trust me!:wacko:

Supergirl, I love your signature!!! I agree!!!

:rose::rose::rose:

Last edited:
No she's not, she dresses as she wishes,professionaly ofcourse, she can't go wearing jeans or shorts to a formal duty, same thing goes to every royal or even worker but she loves jackets & she has plenty:rolleyes:so she's just enjoying her taste:)

Please do not indulge in any pregnancy speculation since we have no credible evidence to back up such a conclusion at this point.

Royal Family of Jordan Moderating Team

I still think it's odd that she's wearing jackets in the middle of summer. There are many proffesional and modest summer clothes that she can wear--she's done it in the past so what's up?.

Maybe she's gained a little weight and feels bad about it. Poor thing she can't gain a couple of pounds and feel ok about it--she feels the need to cover it up b/c she's infront of the cameras so much and I think the Jordan community (and some of us) are merciless to her sometimes. She once said that in an interview that the women of Amman like to gossip about her.

Did Rania and the kids go to meet Abdullah in California for holidays?

Rania and the other children can't be far off then. They must all be holidaying there together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom