The Three Sisters: Margrethe, Benedikte & Anne-Marie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 3,598
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 4,361
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3,897
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3,880
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,574
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,200
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,727
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 3,563
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 3,947
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 3,686
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,507
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 6,859
I love that the three sisters not only always dressed alike but they also had the same haircut, too!

A more recent picture.

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark in Sweden

5/2/01, COPENHAGEN, SWEDEN --- Three sisters sit at a balcony, watching fireworks. From left to right : Danish Queen Margrethe II, Queen Anne Marie and Princess Bendedikts. --- Photo by Stefan Lindblom/Corbis Sygma

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,538
What a terrific picture, Jalmey! :flower: Perhaps this was a ladies night?! Maybe Prince Henrik, King Constantine, and Prince Richard were at home playing poker and having a cigar?!

The sisters seem very close to one another even though they're all busy and live in various places.

Originally posted by Josefine@Apr 3rd, 2003 - 11:59 pm
picture from www.polfoto.dk
:flower: Thank you, Josefine, for those pictures. Anne-Marie has always been my favourite royal and I love to see pics of her. There were just one or two pics I did not have seen before. Thanks ever so much! :lol:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Jun 20th, 2003 - 1:09 pm
What a terrific picture, Jalmey! :flower: Perhaps this was a ladies night?! Maybe Prince Henrik, King Constantine, and Prince Richard were at home playing poker and having a cigar?!

The sisters seem very close to one another even though they're all busy and live in various places.
Thanks Alexandria! I agree, its a pretty remarkable picture!! :) Its fun to look at the three of them back in the day, and the look at that picture now. It just shows you that the bond they share hasn't changed a bit!

By the way, I would love to see a picture of Prince Henrik, King Constantine, and Prince Richard all together!! ;)

www.corbis.com

Danish Princesses in National Costume
Original caption: Princesses of Denmark. Tverra, Faroe Islands, Denmark: Denmark's three princesses (left to right), Margrethe, Benedikte, and Anne-Marie, wear national costumes as they arrived here aboard the Danish Royal Yacht, Danneborg, for recent visit. July 14, 1963.

Cheers, father in law :p

http://www.royalportraits.nl/watermark.php?filesrc=./data/media_small/870/ROYPORST4693.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,133
Polfoto 01-01-1948 1947. Fra v. prinsesse Margrethe, prinsesse Anne Marie og prinsesse Benedikte på Gråsten Slot. Foto: Polfoto.

www.corbis.com - PRINCE HENRIK OF DENMARK CELEBRATES HIS 60TH BIRTHDAY - KING CONSTANTINE AND QUEEN ANNE-MARIE OF GREECE WITH HER SISTER PRINCESS BENEDIKTE.

Attachments

• siblings_1.jpg
    siblings_1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DK_GK_487.jpg
    DK_GK_487.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,543
June 1, 1964

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,323
the sisters education

what was the sisters education
Margrethe
Benedikte
Anne-Marie

Queen Margrethe 2. Education is:

Education

HM The Queen attended Zahles Skole during the years 1946-1955, from 1946 to 1949 as a private pupil at Amalienborg Palace. In the period 1955-1956, HM The Queen was a boarder at North Foreland Lodge, in Hampshire, England. Having received private lessons, Her Majesty graduated from Zahles Skole with the upper secondary examination certificate (language line) in 1959. Next followed the years from 1960 to 1965, when HM The Queen studied at universities in Denmark and other European countries. After having passed the examination in philosophy at Copenhagen University in 1960, HM The Queen studied archaeology in the period 1960-1961 (Diploma in Prehistoric Archaeology) at University of Cambridge. Her Majesty, subsequently, studied political science at Aarhus University in the period 1961-1962, at the Sorbonne in 1963 and at the London School of Economics in 1965.

And furthermore
Relations to the Defence

HM The Queen performed voluntary service with Women’s Flying Corps in the years 1958-1970, and received comprehensive training in the corps during this period.

HM The Queen is the supreme commander of the Danish Defence Forces.

In addition to the relations to the Danish Defence, HM The Queen has a special connection to particular units of the British Defence. In 1972, Her Majesty was appointed Allied Colonel-in-Chief of The Queen's Regiment, and in 1992 HM The Queen was appointed Allied Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment.

Queen Anne-Maries Education is:

Princess Anne-Marie attended Zahle's School in Denmark between 1952-1963. Modern history was one of her favourite subjects.

In 1961, she spent a year at an English boarding school in Switzerland - the Chatelard School for Girls. In 1963, to improve her French, Queen Anne-Marie attended a Swiss finishing school, 'Le Mesnil', until the Spring of 1964. She also speaks Greek, English and of course Danish.

And about Benedikte I know that she also went to N.Zahles school like her sisters

best regards Betina

Margrethe and Anne-Marie in the garden

Attachments

• 040705-15.jpg
    040705-15.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 980
There was a photo of Margrethe, Bendickt and Anne Marie (I think) at the wedding of FGrederik and Mary in May 2004. I think it was taken in the ballroom prior to the dancing. All three sisters are looking in different directions. I think I saw it on one of the other Boards (possibly GREMB)

Scott said:
There was a photo of Margrethe, Bendickt and Anne Marie (I think) at the wedding of FGrederik and Mary in May 2004. I think it was taken in the ballroom prior to the dancing. All three sisters are looking in different directions. I think I saw it on one of the other Boards (possibly GREMB)

The picture of Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie (there were at least two in all that I can recall) was taken of the sisters looking out behind the balcony where Frederik and Mary were greeting the Danes who had come to see them on their wedding day. Pictures also followed of Frederik and Mary kissing and greeting the three sisters.

You can find the picture in the Frederik and Mary wedding thread.

what is the newest photo with the three sisters all in it

Queen Anne-Maries Education is:

Princess Anne-Marie attended Zahle's School in Denmark between 1952-1963. Modern history was one of her favourite subjects.

In 1961, she spent a year at an English boarding school in Switzerland - the Chatelard School for Girls. In 1963, to improve her French, Queen Anne-Marie attended a Swiss finishing school, 'Le Mesnil', until the Spring of 1964. She also speaks Greek, English and of course Danish.

And about Benedikte I know that she also went to N.Zahles school like her sisters

best regards Betina

Thanks, Betina. I wish to find info. about Benedikte's education. Did any of the three sisters follow any course of study in the USA?

how do you pronouce the name Princess Benedikte

I knew almost all the info...but the pics were completely unknown for me! Many thanks for posting them. These three Princesses were lovely as children, and when they grew up, they had a very interesting destiny all three, specially Princess Anne-Marie and Crownprincess - now Queen- Margrethe. :flowers:

Vanesa.

:previous: That's right, a Danish friend pronounced it that way for me.

King Frederick used to call his wife and three daughters his 4 leaf clover.
They always seemed like a closely knit family.

King Frederick used to call his wife and three daughters his 4 leaf clover.
They always seemed like a closely knit family.

That is a nice thing to hear, Odette; especially about the older generation of royals. It seems that we so often hear about how distant parents of his generation were from their children. The three sisters seem very close to this day, and they seem like a very warm and loving family.

That is a nice thing to hear, Odette; especially about the older generation of royals. It seems that we so often hear about how distant parents of his generation were from their children. The three sisters seem very close to this day, and they seem like a very warm and loving family.

Yes they are close and at least Queen Anne Marie seems like a very warm
and affectionate mother and grandmother.
I have not observed Queen Margrethe or Princess Benedikte with their children so I cannot say whether they followed their father's example or not.:flowers:

Queen Margrethe and her sisters have a warm relationship, the article talks about how the 3 sisters live a different lives far apart but meet whenever they can during the year especially during the summer holidays.
English article

:previous:
Such a sweet article. I can't think of three royal sisters who are closer. :flowers:

Thanks for all perfect old photos. Three compatible, noble sister.

Great to hear that the three sisters love the companion of each other.
Queen Margrethe had the most busy life of the three due to her job as a regent queen but it seems that fact didn't affect her friendship with her two sisters. I hope Frederik and Joachim remain close like this forever.

Nice article - it's good to hear that they're all close, as 3 can sometimes be an awkward number. Margrethe talks in her memoir about how she and Benedikte didn't get along when they were younger (there is apparently a radio broadcast where little Margrethe can be heard hissing at her :whistling:) and didn't understand each other at all, so it's especially nice that they're close now.

Back
Top Bottom