The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These hunts are a part of European culture and a tradition within elite/aristocratic society. I don't understand the 'surprise' of seeing Christian near any of the deceased animals...it's something he is to grow up with, familiarise with and most probably partake in as an adult.

Well, traditions change, also those of royals...especially now the public is watching them more closely then ever. I mean, we could say that having mistresses is a tradition for royal and aritocratic men, still we can see in Britain how the public reacts to such a ´tradition´.

Is it any worse than taking a child into a butcher's shop? that is full of dead animals too.
thing is, if they hunt and then consume, i.e. <eat> the animal, then, well, fine. Humans are carnivores after all.
So those deer that were shot in this hunt, well, they indeed will probably end up at the dinner table in one palace or other.

What does disturb me is that dead fox on the grass they decided to shoot. What's the point of that?! Don't tell me they're going to eat it, cause they're not.
Use the fur perhaps? With all the modern technologies that are going into clothing, fur like that's hardly needed. So for that, shame on fred and his fam. for this waste of an animal.

Because the rule should be, you shoot it, you eat it. use it. All of it.

But these people shot that fox just for the hell of it and that sets a bad example for the rest of us at best.

There are plenty of very exclusive hunting lodges and properties across the US where you would not find a redneck - unless they worked the grounds. Definitively part of the more "land-owner" aristocracy than generally assumed.

I wouldn't call hunting "exclusive" either. Last weekend a three male friends of mine went bird hunting in north central Florida on one of their grandfather's property. They are all average middle-class Americans, neither rich nor poor(aka rednecks).

These hunts are a part of European culture and a tradition within elite/aristocratic society. I don't understand the 'surprise' of seeing Christian near any of the deceased animals...it's something he is to grow up with, familiarise with and most probably partake in as an adult.

My in-laws in rural France hunt, indeed. With the purpose of using the deer/hog/whatever animal they shoot - i.e. eating it, and all of it, even the head and brain. What they DON'T condone is just shooting an animal for the heck of it, like Fred & party did with that fox. That's just a waste.
(Off topic, this reminds me of a recent article I read that Fred's prone to receiving cars from manufacturers! If true, that's pure and simple corruption! Hope it's not true, if it is, that would be food for another thread!)

So essentially shock the crap outta of the kid now instead of later, right?:D Blood, guts, and broken necks galore. Eh, he won't mind...

I don't agree with the whole hunting thing, but it's tradition, so what are you going to do. Nobody in Denmark seems to mind, and I haven't heard of any uproars about it like what happened in England several years ago. So why change?

According to the Hunting Association in Denmark these animals are allowed to be hunt in Denmark. It also mentioned the seasons and the amount .
http://img143.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=81720_anihuntingindenmark_122_644lo.JPG

Also are mentioned are the socio-economic profile of hunter in Denmark, age group, gender, the rules and etc,etc.
http://www.face-europe.org/huntingineurope/nationalsections_en/denmark.en.pdf

The website for The Hunting Association in Europe with links to all the Hunting association in all the countries in Europe eg. Sweden, Norway, Holland, Belgium, UK, Spain,etc

Welcome at FACE Europe

Last edited:
Nice picture of Mary & Carina

Besties

:flowers:

(Picture Desk)

thats a lovely photo of the the two ladies. Its nice seeing Carina with the family.

Caption from IBL: PrinceHenrik and Crown PrinceFrederik participated in the yearly Royal Hunt at Fredensborg Castle. Crown Princess Mary arrived in the afternoon with PrinceChristian after visiting the National Museum of arts and having Lunch with the ladies.
and a few IBL pictures
pic 1 -- pic 2 -- Queen & Mary -- pic 4 -- Queen M

So essentially shock the crap outta of the kid now instead of later, right?:D Blood, guts, and broken necks galore. Eh, he won't mind

Muching happily away on an apple, getting hugs from his mother, father and grandfather and having a little walk around...yep, that's certainly a shocked child to me..lol.

Quick!! Organise the psych consult..lol..;)

Last edited:
My in-laws in rural France hunt, indeed. With the purpose of using the deer/hog/whatever animal they shoot - i.e. eating it, and all of it, even the head and brain. What they DON'T condone is just shooting an animal for the heck of it, like Fred & party did with that fox. That's just a waste.
Everything in Denmark is regulated to the full; if the hunting party shot a fox, I bet that was 'allocated' from a pool of foxes allowed to be shot. This again is, I bet (not being a hunter myself) part of a general plan for the 'maintenance' of the fox population. Foxes in DK have no other foes than traffic and hunters - and from what I understand the trick is also to keep the population of a particular animal at a sensible level. Don't see where 'for the heck of it' comes in.

(Off topic, this reminds me of a recent article I read that Fred's prone to receiving cars from manufacturers! If true, that's pure and simple corruption! Hope it's not true, if it is, that would be food for another thread!)
Enjoy yourself in your own 'hunt' then :D Yep, start with all the royals who have received free cars and be prepared to encounter quite a number in many countries (what do you think Volvo and Saab did when it was Swedish owned ? :D). All sorts of free gifts are presented to the royals; Alexandra was presented with a costly fur coat in the presence of media. If you lack ammunition try looking into some threads here and elsewhere where posters discuss jewellery given to e.g. the British royals by the Saudis. The beautiful Khedive tiara which came into the DRF was once presented as a gift to the late queen Ingrid's mother (then a British princess) as far as I know. Have fun with all these 'corrupted' royals ;)

Muching happily away on an apple, getting hugs from his mother, father and grandfather and having a little walk around...yep, that's certainly a shocked child to me..lol.

Quick!! Organise the psych consult..lol..;)

..well, if he gets a good look of his granny´s dental area during one of these hugs,.....that would certainly be a shocker.:ROFLMAO:

Though GT obviously meant the dead animals.

Last edited:
I think Mary's was very happy to be there with Christian and Christian and sucht a nive evening! Mary's bag is from Prada - nice, but I don't like her pants, they should be tight, although I think Mary had +prefer to wear some confortable and warm clothes!

Lovely Picture. I like Carina. She is sooooo beautiful. Is it right, that she is author for children's books?

I believe that Carina is an author of one or two children's books yes. She also illustrates them herself

During hunting season (here in the USA) we see lots of pickup trucks with deer,boar,and bear that have been killed by the proud driver of the truck. Not sure what the sport is when they are using highly sophisticated guns, scopes, etc. Now, if they were to go out with just a kitchen knife...that would even the odds a little more. Also, the local newspapers always show a picture ++++ of children as yound as 8years old with their first kill.
I just like my meat from the grocery store or butcher shop all wrapped up.

Besties

(Picture Desk)

Thanks Jess. Here is a close up shot of Carina and Mary at the royal hunt. Apparently, the two went Christmas shopping either before or after this photo was taken. The reporter notes that the rode in Mary's new Saab. One more photo of Mary, Carina,Margrethe, and Helle. The Queen hosted a lunch while the men where hunting. Prior to the lunch, the ladies headed on over to a museum in Copenhagen.

More photos from Fredensborg.

[URL="http://www.sj-nyheder.dk/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071201/LIVSTIL_ROYAL/754135580"]Source[/URL]

Source 2

Royal Hunting

You can be sure that the Master of the Hunt and the forest Rangers/managers keep a strict reign on what can be culled and what can't. These forests are not that big and every year a certain amount of stags will have to be culled otherwise you will have wild animals wandering into suburbia making nuisances of themselves.
Rest assured the royal hunters are not allowed to shoot just anything. The Master of the hunt will have informed them precisely of what can and can't be taken. And yes photos of dead animals displayed on a lawn is not the most attractive sight.

How is Carina connected to the family?

Chimene, I'm just north in Medford :flowers:

Carina is the long-time girlfriend of Princess Benedikte's son, Prince Gustav. I think that she's generally accepted as a member of the family.

Everything in Denmark is regulated to the full; if the hunting party shot a fox, I bet that was 'allocated' from a pool of foxes allowed to be shot. This again is, I bet (not being a hunter myself) part of a general plan for the 'maintenance' of the fox population. Foxes in DK have no other foes than traffic and hunters - and from what I understand the trick is also to keep the population of a particular animal at a sensible level. Don't see where 'for the heck of it' comes in.
Glad it's regulated and I do understand that a big estate like that needs to be managed and that that does include managing wildlife.
Where, however, 'for the heck' comes in has to do with Fred and fam..it's not his bailiwick to do the hunting, why be so front and center about it? Because, wait for it, he likes the activities surrounding the hunt and yes, that's for the heck of it, for him personally that is.

Enjoy yourself in your own 'hunt' then :D Yep, start with all the royals who have received free cars and be prepared to encounter quite a number in many countries (what do you think Volvo and Saab did when it was Swedish owned ? :D). All sorts of free gifts are presented to the royals; Alexandra was presented with a costly fur coat in the presence of media. If you lack ammunition try looking into some threads here and elsewhere where posters discuss jewellery given to e.g. the British royals by the Saudis. The beautiful Khedive tiara which came into the DRF was once presented as a gift to the late queen Ingrid's mother (then a British princess) as far as I know. Have fun with all these 'corrupted' royals ;)
..and you think that's a good thing? Holy, if, say, the PM of, say, Great Britain was given free Saabs, Audis, AND he'd accept them..Would that be an ethically correct thing to do? It's taking advantage of an already privileged position, that's what.
And no, contrary to what you may believe, some royals actually PURCHASE what they drive. Want names? Well, my favorite queen for example, Beatrix of the Netherlands.
(by the way, no need to use a condescending tone to me you know. It's really not necessary. :flowers:)

Besties

(Picture Desk)
These are two VERY stylish ladies, love both their jackets!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm a bit late to the party here but I just felt I had to jump in... Maybe in some countries hunting is controversial (though in England for example I think it was mainly the hunting with hounds that was/is), but please try to see this in a Scandinavian perspective. Here hunting is a part of our culture and historical tradition, our ancestors did it to survive and it's been passed on as a tradition used now for good quality meat, gamekeeping- and controlling and social togetherness in hunting clubs. Hunting has also become a big trend for women in recent years, Princess Madeleine of Sweden for example is just one in a long row of new female hunters.

Also, there is no better quality meat that fresh meat direct from the forest. Much of what we buy in the store have quite a blurry chain of events before they land on our dinner tables.

Hunting and royal hunts is a royal tradition since hundreds of years and I think it's safe to say that it will continue. Just like his ancestors and current family, Prince Christian will probably be schooled into hunting and wildlife knowledge etc from an early age there's no point in trying to hide if from us. I suspect Christian will be trained into this starting slowly now and then perhaps going with them hunting when he reaches his early teens or so (of course not with rifles until he comes of age and gets his licence).

Yep, start with all the royals who have received free cars and be prepared to encounter quite a number in many countries (what do you think Volvo and Saab did when it was Swedish owned ? :D). All sorts of free gifts are presented to the royals; Alexandra was presented with a costly fur coat in the presence of media. If you lack ammunition try looking into some threads here and elsewhere where posters discuss jewellery given to e.g. the British royals by the Saudis. The beautiful Khedive tiara which came into the DRF was once presented as a gift to the late queen Ingrid's mother (then a British princess) as far as I know. Have fun with all these 'corrupted' royals ;)
I'm sorry but where have you heard that SAAB and Volvo gave away free cars to Swedish royals? I don't know for absolute certain but I don't think this has ever happened. Maybe in Denmark it's okay for the royals to get lavish things for free from companies but the Swedish Royal Family do not get these kind of gifts - it would simply not be accepted by the politicians, the media or the people. The only way they are connected to companies are in their official representation (opening Ikea stores, handing out prizes, visiting places etc), the brands they choose to buy in private and for the Royal Court (for example, the Royal Mews buys all of their cars, they don't get them as gifts) and the companies that are named as Royal Purveyors (which is also strictly regulated).

Furthermore I think it's important to separate gifts from gifts. Gifts given in connections to official engagements, state visits, weddings, baptisms, christenings, engagements etc is in one category - those to me are okay, traditional and natural (if kept in some proportion of course). Another category is gifts given for no particular reason, like an expensive car or fur coat just for the sake of branding the company in general.

Last edited:
I'm glad the Mary chose a healthy snack for him; doesn't she do something with healthy eating?

Well - it is so common here in Europe to give children an apple as a snack. Maybe it is something special in the USA, but here ... it is really common. Fortunately! :flowers:

But it is a little bit sad, that Prince Christian tries to feed the dead deers with the apple. ;)

Last edited:
II'm sorry but where have you heard that SAAB and Volvo gave away free cars to Swedish royals? I don't know for absolute certain but I don't think this has ever happened. Maybe in Denmark it's okay for the royals to get lavish things for free from companies but the Swedish Royal Family do not get these kind of gifts - it would simply not be accepted by the politicians, the media or the people. The only way they are connected to companies are in their official representation (opening Ikea stores, handing out prizes, visiting places etc), the brands they choose to buy in private and for the Royal Court (for example, the Royal Mews buys all of their cars, they don't get them as gifts) and the companies that are named as Royal Purveyors (which is also strictly regulated).

Furthermore I think it's important to separate gifts from gifts. Gifts given in connections to official engagements, state visits, weddings, baptisms, christenings, engagements etc is in one category - those to me are okay, traditional and natural (if kept in some proportion of course). Another category is gifts given for no particular reason, like an expensive car or fur coat just for the sake of branding the company in general.
It has been titbits from the media here GrandDuchess; I remember one example years back when Volvo gave one of their new models as a gift to queen Margrethe and the media here mentioned corresponding gifts to the Swedish king. And while I agree that is has to be kept in proportion, is is somehow also natural that a prominent producer in a country will want to showcase its products in the shape of gifts to its own royals.
I think that most royals in Europe have received these kinds of gifts (if we were able to check) and IMO it will be increasingly difficult to separate gifts from e.g. official visits with just gifts given for no apparent reason.

I reacted to the 'corruption' claim in the original post which I think is an overreaction.

..and you think that's a good thing? Holy, if, say, the PM of, say, Great Britain was given free Saabs, Audis, AND he'd accept them..Would that be an ethically correct thing to do? It's taking advantage of an already privileged position, that's what.
And no, contrary to what you may believe, some royals actually PURCHASE what they drive. Want names? Well, my favorite queen for example, Beatrix of the Netherlands.
(by the way, no need to use a condescending tone to me you know. It's really not necessary. :flowers:)
I don't think I stated my personal view of gifts to royals - only that I knew they existed.

I don't recall saying that I believe that royals do never purchase their cars; queen Margrethe bought a new secured outrageously expensive one a couple of years ago. Yes I know that queen Beatrix buys her own cars; she is renowned for preferring a specific car brand, Ford isn't it? (great advertisement for them....and a difficult and fine line to walk for royals)
If disagreing with your use of such a strong word as corruption is considered condescending it is regrettable, but it cannot be helped :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To me those images and the video is really dramatic, I hate to see all those deers dead and all those people admiring them!Those are really shock images to me!

Well, I grew up as the daughter of a hunter. I often saw dead animals. I think that real hunters (who do that to protect the forrest etc.) respect the animals. They hunt them in a forest or on a field, they do not kill an animal that lived all his life in a cage! That is the difference for me. I accept and respect hunters while I cannot respect people who practise large-scale livestock farming.

BTW: While I write this, my cat is lying next to me on my desk, the other one sleeping in my bed. I love animals and I have had animals (cats, dogs, rabbits and a deer) for all my life. So: Seeing dead animals as a child does not harm a child when it is also taught to love and respect animals. Hunting is something normal - or what do you think, where did our ancestors get their meat from?

This is an excellent post. It's well said, Katie. I must add that, while the images of Christian touching the deer's antlers were disturbing for me, I agree with you about hunting in general. I hate livestock farming, but I respect hunting for conservation purposes. I am not a hunter, though, as I can't imagine finding any enjoyment in it, but I do respect that it is an enjoyment for many people and cultures. I support the opinions like yours and Duke of Marmalade, who says that as long as the rules are followed, there is no real problem with it.

Furthermore, I feel that it is good in general for a child of Christian's age to experience death somehow. He has to learn about life and death somehow, whether it is from seeing the shot deer or from experiencing the death of a pet. Death is a part of life, after all, and has to be faced. All children of Christian's age come to experience it somehow whether we like it or not.... It is not pleasant though.

I have a question about the hunt itself. Is this the "Grib Skov" hunt of which Prince Henrik is patron, I think?

I'm not a great fan of hunting either but it's one of the realitys of life that if one want to eat meat one has to kill animals. And for a child it is important to know that milk does come from cows, apples come from the tree, fish from the sea and meat from the animals. With this knowledge does come the respect for nature. In Germany far too many children don't know any more about these things. Food for them is chicken nuggets and milk in tetra packs - when asked they can't make a connection between the food and the chicken or cow needed to produce it.

About the presents for royals: I'm against it, completely. In Germany all presents made to state representatives exceeding a certain value (which is not very high) have to be kept in the vaults and can't be used personally. The thought behind is that the provider might somehow expect some favour in return for the gift. Same is for royals: they do represent their country and should stay independend in their actions from any companies or oranisations interest that is not directly connected with their role.

Back
Top Bottom