The Royal Hunt: 2003, 2005-2014, 2016-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think hunt is always ok if it is regulated by law, serves a purpose (eg population, environmenal protection etc) and the meat is being used (eaten by the hunters, distributed to restaurants). All of this seems to be the case.

There is no comparison eg to hunting endangered species for the fun of it, that is despicable.

Just me and I speak for me only, I hate killing any animal and I refuse to eat meat...grrrr. I feel so sorry for those deer, they didn't hurt anybody and they have as much right to live as we do.......huge grrrrrrr! Now this is me and I am just saying I hate hunting and I don't care who it feeds or if there is an over population (and there is an over population of the human race..). And I can think of some over population of people(thugs) in this county (Ferguson) that need to be gone..nice way of saying something should be done to them like what was done to those deer. Anybody mad...don't be...it's just my opinion! sorry mods if this got off topic, I just didn't expect to see dead deer, last time I view hunts!:sad:for the deer!

No one is mad at you. :)

Tarlita is right it is a necessity.
Except for the car and a few wolves (who makes absolutely no difference) there are no predators large enough to take deers here in DK.
But the deers breed happily and if the number wasn't kept down, the deer population would increase with 200.000-300.000 a year. - Yes, we have a lot deers here in DK! After all some 25 % of DK is now forest, woods or woodland not to mention the moors.
So to keep that number down, more than a 100.000 are shot each year - and still the deers spread.
That's actually a huge success, because around 1900 deers were rare, now they are everywhere.
So if thier numbers weren't culled, nature would eventually deal with the surplus population. Come winter mass starvation will set in, followed by desease in the spring. And nature is meciless, it's the weak, the old and the kids who will go first. In desperation the deers will seek towards towns and cities (they are common enough in suburbs as it is), there cars, trains, dogbites, stairs and stress will claim even more deers.

So the alternative is either mass starvation every few years or a reasonably carefree life in the nature minding their own business until one day - bang!

The number of hunters are going up here in DK. Hunters in general have a good reputation and practically anyone know someone who hunt. They are not monsters or bloodthirsty. Tv-programmes about hunting are popular and shown on primetime TV.
Hunters routinely visit kindergartens bringin with them animals they have shot, so that the children can touch the animal, learn about the animal and sometimes see it being dissected.
I've never hunted myself except wild dogs in Croatia, and I have no intention of doing so, because it's not necessary. But if the population wasn't kept down we would litterally have deers knocking on our door - and our dog would go crazy and probably attack. When we first moved in her we had to reinforce the fence in the backyard to keep deers out, until then we were regularly woken at dawn because our dog was barking his head off because there was a deer in the backyard.

It's very much a cultural thing I guess.
WARNING: Pics of dissected animals coming up.
Here is an article about a hunter visiting a kindergarten, bringing with him some ducks he had shot. The children examined the birds, watch them being cut up and finally they were eaten.
Ungerne i Børnhusets Hobitten parterede gråænder - Lokalavisen Aarhus

Another gallery, here with a wolf being dissected in front of children at the local naturalhistory museum and as you can tell the children are put off by the smell, but they are not horrified, they are curious and fascinated.
There are no longterm traumas. My own children have seen a lion and a whale being dissected and a cow being eaten by lions and they are fine:
Lokalavisen Aarhus: Blodet flød, da ulven kom til Naturhistorisk Museum

Last edited:
:previous:
I wasn't comparing anything at all, so I am sorry you feel that way, as I said, it is just me, me only that does not like hunting of animals of any kind. I am a huge animal lover, I rescue animals and care for them, I go out of my way when I see one that needs help, I would never in a million years compare the two at all. I have even sent money to organizations to help protect animals in need, so please don't read something that isn't there in my comment. All my pets have been rescued and they are well loved and care for. I just wish the human race was kinder to them that is all.

Go view the area that says *about me* and there you will see my Princess whom I lost Jan 29, 2013 after having her for 16 1/2 years, and when I got her(4 mths) she was so horribly abused by a man that her left front leg had to come off, she was my heart and soul, so don't ever think I don't like animals or compare them..:sad:.

My last comment was meant for DOM, not you Muhler, you came in as I was typing and this does happen sometimes. Not going to view murder of any animals in this world ever again as it makes me upset..like now.

Last edited by a moderator:
To tell the truth I am sick to death of wildlife shows showing lions killing prey. It is a real turn off for me. After so many years of watching this sort of thing I really hate it even tho it is nature and the natural order of things. Life and death in nature is something we all have to live with. Maybe it is because there is so much violence on TV these days that puts me off killing as well.

My last comment was meant for DOM, not you Muhler, you came in as I was typing and this does happen sometimes. Not going to view murder of any animals in this world ever again as it makes me upset..like now.

I didnt direct my comparison comment at you, sorry if you read it that way, I just wanted to point out that not all hunting is the same.

To tell the truth I am sick to death of wildlife shows showing lions killing prey. It is a real turn off for me. After so many years of watching this sort of thing I really hate it even tho it is nature and the natural order of things. Life and death in nature is something we all have to live with. Maybe it is because there is so much violence on TV these days that puts me off killing as well.

Yeah, you've got that one right. As one point I felt I was on first name basis with all the lions in Kenya, judging from the coverage of the wildlife shows.
But it annoys me that these shows focus so much on lions, crocodiles ripping zebras apart with plenty of blood and gore. But if Bambi is being shot, because Bambi would otherwise starve to death, uproar!
At the same time cow #EL484834846 is being eaten at McBurb by the very same people who have signed petitions for saving Bambi.

Last edited:
The strange thing is - is that Hunters are conservationists, including recreational fishermen. They definitely do not want to kill every last one. Each kill is a prize. Something they have stalked and tried to outwit. Recreational fisherman want a few fish to take home to eat. Not scoop up every last species in a net then throw away as by-catch. Hunters and fishermen are the first ones to notice if the environment is affected in a detrimental way to animals. We all want our species to survive so we can enjoy its magnificence.

I didnt direct my comparison comment at you, sorry if you read it that way, I just wanted to point out that not all hunting is the same.

My apologizes DOM for thinking that you did, I am so sorry. I over reacted to seeing those animals....I didn't realize that they would show the deer, and now I understand about *culling* as that is something I never heard of before. This just another example where Europe is so more mature then America.....for it is a way of life there and here I don't come in contact with that way of life. Besides I am a big softie when it comes to animals.:)

I do not watch those shows, and I do understand that is what nature does. I think there is so much violence on TV today that I don't even watch the news much anymore, just the weather and I got that timed down pat. And with what is going on now here, I am sick to death of killing, violence and crime and greed. So I am learning to stay in the world I create without all the crap of the world...Again Thank You :)

:previous:
I wasn't comparing anything at all, so I am sorry you feel that way, as I said, it is just me, me only that does not like hunting of animals of any kind. I am a huge animal lover, I rescue animals and care for them, I go out of my way when I see one that needs help, I would never in a million years compare the two at all...
Don't foolish yourself. If you rescue a dog, you kill a cow or a chicken to make dog food for your rescued dog.

maybe its a safety thing: in my home province of Ontario, hunters are required to wear 'blaze orange' clothing, mostly to ensure that they are not shot by other hunters!:bang:

Perhaps. There is no danger of anyone shooting PH in the foot! - Well, perhaps by himself but that's about it. :p

Hunting of course has become a controversial political issue in some countries like England where hunting with dogs is now illegal. It surprises me that, in a progressive country like Denmark, there seems to be no public discussion about it.

Last edited:
Hunting of course has become a controversial political issue in some countries like England where hunting with dogs is now illegal. It surprises me that, in a progressive country like Denmark, there seems to be no public discussion about it.

There is, but it's very limited and in fact the hunting organisations work closely with the more important preservation and environmental organisations - often they share members anyway.
Another important thing is that the distance between city and country and nature is a lot less in DK. There is nowhere in DK where you can't get out in the middle of the nature within an hours comfortable ride on bicycle.
Apart from that less than two generations ago DK was predominantly an agrarian country, many still have relatives or friends living on farms, most have friends or relatives who live in the countryside.
Most know someone who hunt. Most children have as a matter of course visited farms or seen animals being dissected at school or in the kindergarten.
In other words most people here have been brought up having a litterally hands on knowledge and exposure to wildlife, livestock and nature. - It's not something on TV, in a zoo or in a well trimmed wildlife park.

(I sincerely hope the mods will keep this dicussion, because it highlights cultural issues that both Mary and our Marie will have faced. Perhaps especially Mary who is rarely seen at a royal hunt).

Last edited:

I must say that as I have got older, I can't watch wildlife programs at all these days unless it's about plants or something. It's a shame, because with photography and filming so modern and high quality i am missing out - but when whales start catching seagulls or lions run after zebra's I cannot watch!
I live in the country and often hear shooting going on in the woods and one gets used to it - the hunters are very polite when i am out on my walks and look as silly as Henrik sometimes. Half the game birds have already been run over by speeding drivers along our country roads - i should know, I go walking every day and it annoys be a great deal!

HRH Prince Carlo of Borbone Due Sicilie, The Duke of Castro (is that the correct title?) was, again, invited to the hunt. Probably/possibly with his wife.
They have been invited many times.

Does anyone know how they have become close/or friends with the DRF/The Regent couple?
Close enough for the Duke to be godfather to Princess Josephine.

BTW, Frederik was at the hunt too. Not wearing bright red socks, like his brother and father....

Last edited:
From the photos I saw Fred was wearing camouflage pants and you couldn't see his socks. Maybe he was wearing red socks and we just couldn't see them.
Charles/Carlo The Duke of Castro I have noticed has often attended many a royal wedding. Possibly Henri met him many years ago and they found an interest in common which is Hunting. Just speculation on my part.

Last edited:
From the photos I saw Fred was wearing camouflage pants and you couldn't see his socks. Maybe he was wearing red socks and we just couldn't see them.

Maybe he was. Just joking.
I was counting on Muhler to notice the red, not reddish socks....;)
Joachim sure has inherited his fathers sence of ...fashion.

Prince Henrik attends the Royal Hunt at Grib Skov today, November 27 and we have his always colorful costume - he must almost frightens the animals away with these red socks! :lol:

Prins Henrik på jagt med vennerne | Billed Bladet

This afternoon at 5:00 pm it was time to the so-called wild parade in the courtyard at Fredensborg where the hunters proudly presented what they had got home from the wood.
Here Frederik participated as well - and he made sure that at least one of the men was decent and stylish dressed :p I see Joachim had mirrored his father with the red killer socks :D

Kongejagten gav et flot resultat | Billed Bladet

Henrik had taken Margrethe with him this time and while Joachim has participated throughout the day Frederik, like last year, haven't participated from the start which BB last year conjectured was because he prioritized the morning routine with droping off the children at school - which is very likely the same this time.

Tonight, Henrik and Margrethe host the private gala dinner (we never get pictures IIRC) where the wifes attends with their men.

Lets all be thankful for Frederik ;);)
and that he hasnt gone for the killer red socks ala Joachim:whistling: (who would be great if he follows in Henrik's fashion attire:p)

regarding the hunting issue...I cant really say much since I just enjoyed a nice turkey dinner, with ham :)

But its nice that the DRF announce these hunts and present it to the press. No secret hunting, everything is following the laws and regulations. I know in other hunts the Forrest guards are there as well.

Here Frederik participated as well - and he made sure that at least one of the men was decent and stylish dressed :p I see Joachim had mirrored his father with the red killer socks :D

Kongejagten gav et flot resultat | Billed Bladet

Decent and stylishly dressed? - Yes, if you happen to be a bush...:p

Lets all be thankful for Frederik ;);)
and that he hasnt gone for the killer red socks ala Joachim:whistling: (who would be great if he follows in Henrik's fashion attire:p)

Well, I don't know. While Frederik adhered to the current fashion trend for mulberry bushes, Joachim, naturally, dressed like an albeit merry gentleman-hunter. :cool:
And PH, well, he's PH and there is no known cure for that.

Maybe he was. Just joking.
I was counting on Muhler to notice the red, not reddish socks....;)
Joachim sure has inherited his fathers sence of ...fashion.

I did, I did. I was admittedly for a moment wondering why Joachim dressed like Doctor Who: http://www.geekalerts.com/u/Doctor-Who-Fourth-Doctor-Signature-Edition-Collector-Figure.jpg :ermm:

Imagine for a moment you are a wild deer always on the lookout for predators. Then WHAM!! A FLASH of bright red catches your eye. Stunned you stand still for a moment too long to try to understand what it is. TOO late. The hunter has you in his sights.
THAT'S why they wear the red socks. To temporarily stun the deer, who are also fashion police and can't believe any animal would wear such a colour in a forest.
But then again I could be wrong.

Last edited:
LOL. - Or perhaps the deers were in awe? :p

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

As you know the grandest of the royal hunts took place recently at Grib Forest near Fredensborg.
Frederik and Joachim took part in the huns, as did their dad, wearing woolen socks from Greenland.
Some of those who were also present at the hunt was Christoffer Carstenskiold who was seen laughing with Frederik and Joachim.
50 animals were shot and laid out at the game parade. The whole thing being illuminated by eight "Finnish stoves" - A Finnish stove is a tree trunk cleaved halfway down and set alight.
The one who shot the largest stag was Prince Pignatelli from Italy, who is a good friend of PH.

In the evening there was a gala dinner. Mary attended the dinner, but neither our Marie, nor Ellen Hillingsøe, who is married to Carstenskiold could make it.

While the menfolks went hunting, QMII took the ladies out on a traditional cultural tour. First to an exhibition by Carl Larsson, then to an art museum, Louisiana. Followed by a refreshment at Kronborg before QMII dragged... led her guests to a merchant marine museum at the town of Helsingør outside the fortress. Finally it was time for lunch back at Fredensborg at 15.00.
There is no mentioning of Mary, but as far as I have noticed Mary usually avoid... skip the cultural excursion.

- I have read elsewhere that such a trip is often with a very enthusiastic QMII as tour guide! In fact it has been hinted that she has a tendency to go nerd, when she get's eager. :lol:

In the evening there was a gala dinner. Mary attended the dinner, but neither our Marie, nor Ellen Hillingsøe, who is married to Carstenskiold could make it.

While the menfolks went hunting, QMII took the ladies out on a traditional cultural tour. First to an exhibition by Carl Larsson, then to an art museum, Louisiana. Followed by a refreshment at Kronborg before QMII dragged... led her guests to a merchant marine museum at the town of Helsingør outside the fortress. Finally it was time for lunch back at Fredensborg at 15.00.
There is no mentioning of Mary, but as far as I have noticed Mary usually avoid... skip the cultural excursion.

- I have read elsewhere that such a trip is often with a very enthusiastic QMII as tour guide! In fact it has been hinted that she has a tendency to go nerd, when she get's eager. :lol:

I can imagine the Queen just being the best tour guide.
I think it was last year or so that we got pictures of Mary arriving to the cultural excursion later...
but she has a good excuse with the 4 kids to stay behind ;)

Today, H. M. The Queen holds Kong Hunting Grib Forest

H. M. The Queen holds 22 November 2016 Kong Hunting Grib Forest with HRH Crown Prince hosting the hunt.
Privat til redaktionerne: H.M. Dronningen afholder Kongejagt i Grib Skov | Kongehuset

As usual, the Queen host a cultural outing to a museum or exhibit . Mary is also with the Queen
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNHZczVhcQz/

added
pictures after the hunt
http://sn.dk/galleri/616026
the twins, Vincent and Josephine joined Frederik and Mary and the Queen
http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/83/887983_930_9300_64_0_3544_2449_2.jpg
cute Vincent in his hat

and Frederik is back to ties, no scarfs lol (we can see Gustav and Carina in the back)
http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/84/887984_930_9300_61_0_3394_2345_2.jpg

:previous:Billedbladet article
Kronprinsesse Mary og kronprins Frederik med tvillingerne på slottet | BILLED-BLADET

"It was two very excited and curious twins Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine, who attended the game parade in Fredensborg palace yard with their parents, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and grandmother Queen Margrethe."
The queen held Kong hunt in Grib Forest with the crown prince who hosted the hunt

a few more pictures.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KR4CsxQd...JVGTJWL5tnqUq3AACLcB/s595/Danish-Royals-2.jpg
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MLEdYmiJ...lLBe55epVN7IoxXwCLcB/s595/Danish-Royals-3.jpg
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-S-aGcb5W...jOHEgDENiYi8AAOgCLcB/s595/Danish-Royals-4.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WQrqjQw7...ZX0EO3rnj7xQVZ_QCLcB/s595/Danish-Royals-5.jpg

I had the feeling that we would see Mary and the children to the hunt this year now Frederik hosted it :)

NICE photos! Crown Prince Frederik has often said that he and Mary insist that their children need to learn where the food comes from. That it doesn't come from a supermarket! And it means they come with out and see it. It's a very good idea! And something I think 99% af Danes agrees with. And then it's a nice tradition as a family, time together and with farmor/grandma Margrethe.

Isn't it Vincent og Josephine's first time to the King Hunt?
Christian and Bella have been there many years. But today it was the twins who got all moms and dads attention.

It's also interresting to see how the Crown Prince and Crown Princess are very much involved now and clearly takes more and more over now. Today, the Queen held the royal hunt as usual, but it was Crown Prince Frederik who was the actually host of the King Hunt. And this afternoon was Queen Margrethe together with Crown Princess Mary host for a tour for the annual cultural outing to a museum for the wives while the men are out hunting.I think the Queen and the CP-couple is a close unit. and works alot together now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the many pics. :flowers:

Yes Roskilde, I believe this is the first time the twins are at a game parade - and it's been some years since we've seen Mary at the game parade as well. She usually join the party for the dinner in the evening.

However this year she also joined the female guests for the traditional cultural outing, while the menfolks were out hunting. - According to an anonymous quote I once wrote, it can be quite an experience having a very enthusiastic QMII, who has talked herself warm, as tour-guide! :lol: - No doubt! Especially if the color-composition of French impressionists in the area of Marseilles anno 1896 isn't something you are that interested in...:D

It is also a pleasure to see the gentlemen don ties, while still in the hunting-attire. That's how gentlemen dress when venturing out in the wild. :cool:
And no baseball cap for Frederik. No, a proper hunting-hat - with discreet trophies decorating the hat.

I hate the hunt but seeing the children looking at the corps of those poor animals
It is not a human behaviour even if the princess Mary is elegant , it is a SHAME

I am all in favor of Royal tradition, but I love deer and I wept yesterday when I saw those photos.

I hate hunting with the heat of a thousand suns.:sad:

Its important to show where food comes from, teaches kids respect for their food I think.

very cute smile from Josephine
http://resize-parismatch.ladmedia.f...1125317/node_1125356/17272598-1-fre-FR/_1.jpg

It was nice to see the kids shaking hands with all those who attended too.
article and gallery
Se fotogalleri: På kongelig jagt med Kronprinsen - Uge-Nyt
"The horn sounded at 8 am at Fredensborg Palace for the hunting party, which then headed for the forest to continue the longstanding tradition that helps to keep wildlife in a sustainable level."

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/4ebd8ca75711411001f96ad4702289ae?width=316
http://tt.se/media/image/sdltb88f613_WatermarkPreview.jpg
http://tt.se/media/image/sdltb88f618_WatermarkPreview.jpg
http://tt.se/media/image/sdltb88f5ed_WatermarkPreview.jpg

Reactions: eya
Back
Top Bottom